Start by marking “Searching for Amber” as Want to Read:
Searching for Amber

Searching for Amber

When Jade, a passionate young photographer, is attacked by drug pushers and saved by the brooding shipwright Martin, she becomes increasingly obsessed with her reluctant hero’s tragic back-story. Her pursuit of Martin’s affection and her consequent obsessive search for Martin’s lost sister, Amber, ultimately leads Jade to discover the truth about her own mother, who abando ...more
Published April 28th 2014 by Troubador Publishing Ltd (first published April 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Searching for Amber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Searching for Amber

Start your review of Searching for Amber
Lisa Marie Gabriel
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Searching for Amber by David Smith is a work of literary fiction. I have to declare an interest in that I read and reviewed this as a Goodreads Giveaway. I don’t enter these regularly, it is an occasional thing when I have little to do and as I was nursing a broken ankle I had time on my hands. I like to be adventurous with my reading and while most of the blurbs on Giveaways tell half the plot, this one drew my attention because it had only one sentence.
“Under the fluid metal of a steel-blue sk
Danni
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The first chapter had me hooked, the story is beautifully described and I found myself thoroughly absorbed into the storyline. I choose this as my weekly commute read and it proved a great choice. I may just be a reader but from I do read extensively and I think Searching For Amber is an excellent debut novel.
S.C. Skillman
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this novel beautiful, dreamlike and beguiling as it relates the tale of a search for a lost family member, shifting the action back and forth through a number of time periods between the early 1950’s and the present day. The search for the truth of Jade’s parentage has a haunting quality, as the author progressively opens up the lives of the people most closely involved; Crow and Sarah, Thomas and Ralph, Martin and Peter, and Sam.

One of the most outstanding elements of the book for me i
Jenn Webley
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written story. Won in a goodreads giveaway, but really pleased to have had the chance to read this.
Jamieson
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jade does not see the world like everyone else.

A photographer by trade, she sees it more clearly through the lens of her camera. She is tough but takes photographs that show people as they really are, stripping the walls down and laying what she sees bare.

Abandoned by her mother and raised by her adoptive parents, Jade has always felt that a piece of her was missing. Only truly happy when she is creating, Jade trudges through the world, looking for that lost piece of herself. She feels alone in
Annabel
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully crafted piece of literary fiction. Intense, confusing and sensual, it is simply an impressive novel. The description is beautifully crafted and never loses momentum; high quality writing remains throughout. I loved the plot (and personally, I thought it got better as the novel went on), and found it original and captivating.

I never give away spoilers in reviews, but Smith absolutely deserves the great critical acclaim he is receiving, and the many positive reviews. I would
Tracey
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written tale of interwoven lives searching for family. The story spans a number of decades, but I never felt lost when reading it. The plot was well thought out, and I was gripped to find out the truth about Amber. However, the real star of the book is the sea itself. David Smith creates wonderful imagery of the coast and its powerful effect on those who live by it.

I was fortunate enough to win a copy of this book from Goodreads Giveaway, and thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Jane
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
What I enjoyed about this book most was the descriptive language, I actually was there in many parts of the story, the attention to detail, for example mentioning red clarks sandals took me to a time in my past when everyone wore these.

The plot flowed well, although initially you need to concentrate, I amnot a fanof books that tell a story in any order but chronological, but I reisited the desire to read the pages in date order according to the story, instead reading as the author intended.

I did
Lisa
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads. It is exquisitely written, beautifully descriptive and quite dreamy in the images it provokes. I admit it's not my usual style of book and took me a couple of chapters to get into the style of writing. But all in all worth reading. I give it a generous 4 out of 5 due to its beautifully descriptive finer details that many books lack.
Medavis66
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very beautifully written story. There is depth to this book that has you thinking about it even after you set it down. I enjoyed the descriptiveness of the writing. The flipping between time eras actually added to the story.
Annastew1144hotmail.com
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The descriptive elements to Searching For Amber are quite exquisite and bring fully formed evocative imagery to mind. The plot is very well conceived and thoughtfully executed over different eras but I never felt lost as the story unfolded. David Smith has won me over!
Michelle
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book through Goodreads, and I'm so pleased I did. It was a fabulous read and had me totally engrossed. Beautifully written and evocative.....(I did shed a few tears reading it!)
Lisa Williams
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great story kept me engrossed to the end would really reccomend to anyone who truly loves to sit with a cuppa and a book for a enjoyable evening
D.J.
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
This novel is a work of literary fiction and as such is richly textured, intense, almost cinematic in nature.
Andrea Kowalski
Mar 01, 2017
J. Sanders
Feb 25, 2019
David
Apr 03, 2014 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Addison and Cole
Lynn Slavin
May 15, 2014
Kiran Parry
May 18, 2014
GOOD REVIEWS: Seeking Reviews for "Searching For Amber" 5 18 May 26, 2014 07:29PM
Described as an exciting voice in Contemporary Literature, David Smith has published four novels all with strong themes of romance and intrigue. His first novel Searching For Amber has been described as "A powerful and notably memorable debut" with a review describing it as "masterly and confident" and another as "Extraordinary, poetic, enchanting, sublime". His latest novel Letters to Strabo has ...more

News & Interviews