Start by marking “Call To Crusade” as Want to Read:
Call To Crusade

Read Book* *Different edition

Call To Crusade

4.57  ·  Rating details ·  30 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
IN CALL TO CRUSADE, TOM VETTER BEGINS THE SIEGE MASTER SERIES, THE EPIC STORY OF THE FIRST CRUSADE TOLD AS NEVER BEFORE: AS LIVED BY A KNIGHT WHO BATTLES TURKS, TRAITORS, STARVATION AND DEATH ITSELF TO WIN A CRUSADE AND REGAIN HOLY JERUSALEM.

The year is 1070. King Malcolm of Scotland has finally reached a peace of sorts with William, Norman conqueror of England. To his ba
Published February 27th 2014 by Tom Vetter Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Call To Crusade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call To Crusade

Mark
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
A really good book, based around the late 1070 to 1090 starts and ends in scotland with a trip to the middle east. Would liked more details on first journey to the middle east.

would have liked more emotion from the main character, a few flaws would be nice. Hes too perfect needs roughing up especially after what he goes through with his brother's treatment of him.

nice to see a novel from this period.

3.5stars. after thinking about this all evening i have rounded it up to 4stars.
Kimber
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kimber by: Tom Vetter
Shelves: kindle, hf-england
I've read a lot of historical fiction but after receiving this book from the author I realized that I'd never read anything about the history of The First Crusade. Tom Vetter's Call to Crusade is an excellent introduction to the politics and circumstances leading to that 'most holy of wars'.
The story follows Godric MacEuan, son of the King Malcolm's right hand man and the Queen's most treasured lady in waiting, best friend to princes and noble in all but birth. Life is good to Godric but not as
Tom Vetter
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Readers' praise for Call To Crusade

These are some of the reviews and comments that readers of Call to Crusade have sent me this month. To date, no one failed to enjoy it or panned it as unworthy of their time or money, and only one reader begged for a map of the pilgrimage route; so I have high hopes that you will enjoy it also. I base the rating above on their praise:

I loved 'Call to Crusade'! It rates in my top 5 of best books ever! It was gripping, intriguing, and eventful. There was alwa
Tom Vetter
I wrote it, so reviewing it is not meaningful. I will say I wrote the best book I could at the time, and I'm proud of the result. I liked Godric as a protagonist, and I think he has literary staying power - he is the kind of character that stays with you, living on in your soul somewhere. I wanted him to be a principal character of a larger-than-life nature; I think the general turn of modern literature to anti-heroes and unprincipled protagonists leaves readers longing for better; or there woul ...more
Julie Carpenter
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this as a first reads good reads give away for free.

I have been finished for a while but so busy I haven't reviewed any of my books and this review is just a quick one. I'm hoping to be able to take the time here soon and really write a fair review. As you can see I rated it 5 stars. I really enjoyed the storyline and the history I learned while reading. I loved the post that Tom Vetter wrote about doing research and realizing this novel was written about his ancestors. Wow what a coo
Katharina Gerlach
I had the pleasure to read this before it was published and witnessed it growing from a good book to something spectacular. So often, historical accuracy is put aside for "the entertainment value". This book shows that stories can be both, entertaining AND historically accurate.

Godric is a man we can cheer for. He grows from a tormented kid to a thoughtful leader and one of the great inventors of his time. His companions are wonderful people, reminiscent of real life. I particularly liked that t
Christine J Randall
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Bernard Cornwell Fans
I purchased this book after enjoying an introductory story from the author's website. While that novella was in third person, the Siege Master series is told in first person, as a memoir. I enjoyed the comfortable style, it never seemed stilted or stuffy even while imparting tremendous amounts of knowledge about people, places, and war machinations. Godric is a believable character and I enjoyed his growth from infant to married man, during hard times and good.

I did not like the footnote numberi
Stephanie
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, fantasy
I had received this novel from first reads. Essentially this novel dates back to 1070 AD. The depth and detail of this novel confirms how much research actually went into this novel. I have to say it is refreshing to be able to read something that is historically accurate, along with being very entertaining.

A young man named Godric goes through things back then that is hard to even think about going through now, especially before he is even 20. He's loved by his King, Queen and by his people. A
Chris Collins
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom manages to perfectly adapt the historical period of the crusades into this great piece of fiction. The way he seamlessly twisted the modern day introduction and made the tale of his characters so believable is astounding and I thoroughly recommend aspiring historical-fiction writers to examine the flawless way facts from the period are intertwined with his narrative.

I struggled to put the book down (as my long suffering girlfriend can testify too!) and I will keep an eye out for the sequels
Katharina Gerlach
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful introduction to the events before the First Crusade. It illustrates the prejudices and way of life of the time very well. The author managed to weave the historical facts into the story's background so seamlessly that I only realized by the end of the book how much I had learned . I will definitely read more by this author.

I think the book is mainly aimed at male adults, but I thing will suit interested Young Adult readers too, regardless the gender -- just don't expect
Jackie
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is my Favorite i t is mind blowing the level of depth and imagery that has gone into this.......simply amazing read give it a go you will be glad you did! I stayed up all night reading this could not put it down! Now, I am going to sleep,lol.
Harrison Vetter
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A real winner! Tom Vetter keeps you interested every step of the way with his engaging characters, compelling story, and refreshing morals. I can't wait for the next installment in the series: March to Nicaea.
Melissa Cain
Great book! I loved the story. Lots of detail.
Kelly Evans
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, fast-paced, great historical detail and engaging characters!
Malice De'Ath
Firstly, I want to thank Tom Vetter for sending me a copy of this book in return for an honest review. Secondly, I want to apologise a) for taking so long to get around to it (university took up all my reading time) and b) for only giving it three stars; while I did only 'like' it rather than 'really like it', I do wonder if the fact it took me six months to read (again, because of uni), meaning I was reading it in a very disjointed fashion with weeks passing before I'd read another chapter, con ...more
Catherine
Jul 30, 2014
Barbara Lund
Jan 19, 2018
Do you have questions? 2 5 Aug 14, 2014 05:18PM
  • Catspell (The Fairy Godmother Dilemma, #1)
  • Taking The Cross
  • reMIND: Volume 2
  • Interlopers
  • The Four Treasures of Eirean (The Tir Na Nog, #1)
  • Lions of the Grail (Richard Savage, #1)
  • That Way Lies Camelot
  • Sympathy for the Devil (Devil's Point, #1)
  • Psych Investigation Episodes: Episode 1
  • Tales of an Alien Invader
  • Colossus: Stone & Steel
  • Soul Cutter
  • Stigmata
  • The Great Siege (The Last Crusaders #1)
Those who can, do. Those who can do no longer, teach - or better still, write. Tom Vetter has done both - living it first and then writing about it. As a naval officer he served more than two decades in submarines and deep submergence vehicles. During his career then-Commander Vetter sailed more than 100,000 miles on and undersea. He operated diesel and nuclear submarines during the Vietnam and Co ...more
More about Tom Vetter

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
    $9.74 $1.99
  • I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • I Capture the Castle
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
  • Saving Zoë
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)