Start by marking “The Changer’s Key (A Riddle in Ruby, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Changer’s Key (A Riddle in Ruby, #2)

The Changer’s Key

(A Riddle in Ruby #2)

The Riddle in Ruby trilogy takes readers on a rip-roaring adventure through an alternate version of colonial America, where magic and science meet, and where one young thief carries a secret everyone wants. In this second volume, Ruby Teach has become the enemys prisoner. She bargained with her freedom to protect her friendsbut her friends arent about to abandon her, ...more
Published September 27th 2016 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about The Changer’s Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Changer’s Key

Start your review of The Changer’s Key (A Riddle in Ruby, #2)
Samantha
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
After the events of A RIDDLE IN RUBY, Ruby Teach is now in the custody of the man she was running from. Hes placed her in a strange group with young men and women training to become soldiers. While Ruby struggles alone, her father, Athena, and friends are doing their best to find and rescue her, but they face hang-ups of their own. Along the way, both groups find clues to a mystery bigger than they ever expected.
What I Loved:
Once again, Kent Davis amazes with the incredible world building of an
Hannah Jayne
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is that all you ever do? Draw your sword? Does this strike you as a dangerous moment?
All moments are dangerous if you give them enough time, she said.
He blinked. What does that even mean?

Cram, his lady, and the professor. Their banter is the best. Their growth in friendship is the best. Their growth as individuals is the best. Theyre only missing... Ruby.

And so we are bound, the four of us. We are bound together by fire and blood.

And while the trusty three are galavanting through the wild,
Saruuh Kelsey
I remember really liking the first book, but I just did connect with this at all. The Ruby plot, I liked but I didn't really care about it, and the other plot didn't interest me at all. But I still like Athena a whole lot, and kinda wish the book was all from her POV. By the end of this, I was just reading so I could finish it, and I'm not sure why because I really loved the first book.
Jason Cole
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lives up to the promise of the first book

This book picks up where the first one left off, grabbing readers by the neck and not letting them go until the last page. Mr. Davis has honed his craft, tightening the pace and deepening the characterizations to make his second book even more enjoyable than the first. I can't wait to dive to the finale.
Ariel
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg, fantasy
Another exciting installment of Kent Davis's steampunk alternate history set in 18th c. England and America, a world ruled by "chemystry," featuring the rollicking, rebellious, indomitable Ruby Teach who carries a secret in her very being.
Grant
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun book. It is fast paced without feeling forced. The characters feel nuanced and realistic. I enjoyed it.
Terresa
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A tremendous sequel in what is proving to be an outstanding series. Can't wait for book #3.
Bravo, Kent Davis!
Rena
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I must admit, that I forgot what happened in Book 1 and Book 2 did little remind me.
Codex
Picks up where the first book left off. Still good, but parts were a bit flat and dragged out. The world built in the first book is maintained (thank goodness), though perhaps with somewhat less emphasis. More focus on the story with less length would have served better.

Hopefully the third book will regain some of the core substance and balance. The author has what it takes and has demonstrated it. In a world filled with carbon-copy attempts of what everyone else is writing about, it is that
Annavita
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Unlike the usual downward spiral of trilogies, this book is even better than the first in the Riddle in Ruby series. We get to learn more about Ruby Teach, her family history, and her band of misfit buddies. I love how Kent Davis creates characters that are fully three dimensional, with genuine feelings, flaws and motivations - and then puts those characters through the wringer to bring out the best (and worst) in them. He deftly incorporates strong, smart and interesting women, people of color, ...more
Wren
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first installment in the series, picking right back up with the same driving pace we reached and the always higher than high stakes, I was immediately absorbed once again! We get a deeper understanding of the characters we already know and love (or fear) and are introduced to a new host of very real people. Even the smaller characters who speak hardly at all are full of depth, leaving me rooting for everyone. I smiled a lot, I cried just a little, I found myself trying to ...more
Mark Austin
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
★ - Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
★★ - Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
★★★ - Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
★★★★ - Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
Maria Tag
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh my goodness! :D The changer's key was soooo good! Waaaay more easy to understand/follow than the first one, enough action, and last but not least TONS of character development in Ruby! :D :D :D Great job Kent!
Teresa Osgood
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Brave Ruby's adventure, and that of her hurt but persistent friends, continues in really surprising ways. These are complex characters, and weird situations, and it is all so well written. I guess I'll have to wait longer for the next episode. Sigh.
Sarah Kim
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a good book, but it's a little scarier than the first. It has more adventure, though, and really engaging.
Traci Sumner
Nov 04, 2016
Michelle Pulignani
Jan 02, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • The Second Story (The Magic Misfits, #2)
  • Broken Veil (Harbinger #5)
  • Sea Spell (Waterfire Saga, #4)
  • The Harp and the Ravenvine (The Keepers #2)
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
  • The Lightning Thief: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • Physiognomy
  • Misfits (Royal Academy Rebels #1)
  • The Minor Third (The Magic Misfits, #3)
  • Planet Killer (Star Kingdom #6)
  • Pennyroyal Academy (Pennyroyal Academy, #1)
  • The Flaw in All Magic (Magebreakers #1)
  • Dog Wizard (Windrose Chronicles, #3)
  • The Emperor's Mask (Magebreakers #2)
  • Knight Protector (Star Kingdom #5.5)
  • The Warrior Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #4)
  • The Red Pyramid: The Graphic Novel (The Kane Chronicles: The Graphic Novels, #1)
Kent Davis has spent most of his life making stories. He is a fantasy writer, game designer, actor, playwright, teacher, improvisational comedian, and vocation collector. A Riddle in Ruby marks his fiction debut.

He and Chris Organ are the two geekomatics behind the Epic RPG tabletop gaming system. Kent's theatrical, film, and television credits as a short, bald man include an array of concerned

A Riddle in Ruby (3 books)
  • A Riddle in Ruby (A Riddle in Ruby, #1)
  • The Great Unravel (A Riddle in Ruby, #3)