Start by marking “Doom Patrol, Vol. 6: Planet Love” as Want to Read:
Doom Patrol, Vol. 6: Planet Love

Doom Patrol, Vol. 6: Planet Love

(Doom Patrol (1987) #6)

"How must it feel to have saved a world you don't really believe is worth saving?"

"Well, you're the shrink lady. you tell me."

It's been a long, hard road for the Doom Patrol -- a winding path hugging the edges of madness, built with bricks of tears. And though the end is finally in sight, the hardships of the past will soon feel like refreshing idyll in a seaside resort c
Published January 16th 2008 by Vertigo (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Doom Patrol, Vol. 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doom Patrol, Vol. 6

Sesana
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
When finishing his run on Doom Patrol, I think Morrison pictured himself walking slowly towards the camera, trenchcoat flapping in the wind as he casually tossed a cigarette over his shoulder, directly onto the pool of gasoline he'd poured around the franchise and setting off a fiery explosion. And he certainly did that, removing most of the characters he'd worked with from contention. I was surprised at how satisfying the ending was, after the way the last trade ended. Sure, the Candlemaker did ...more
Francisco Becerra
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As Rachel Pollack said in the end of the series, Grant Morrison taught us the way in which superhero comics could become surreal art. How a bunch of superpowered freaks could become beacons and guides through visual and narrative poetry. The final issues of Morrison's DP run are the finest example of the Hero's Journey done right, creatively done, full of symbolism, tragedy, and hope. I recommend this as one of the best comics ever done.
Fluffyroundabout
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant end to a brilliant series, I’ll never read a story quite like this ever again but if it even slightly resembles Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison I’ll be on top of the world!
Keith
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
To be fair, most every comic series of the modern age suffers the opposite problem of Doom Patrol. What's par for the course is a strong, focused series that fizzles out in half-baked, loony-tunes ideas. But when an entire series is based around CELEBRATING the loony and the half-baked, where's one to end?

I've been thinking about this a lot in wake of Twin Peaks: The Return, a series that looked at the deliberate and raw unfinishedness of its predecessor and said only, "Hold my beer." Now, I'm n
Eddie
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A lackluster conclusion. Morrison was clearly bored at this point. It's a shame, because this series started out with so much potential and seemed so mind-blowing at the time, but it really only reached full potential in the first few story arcs. After that it just sort of coasts on Morrison throwing out random weirdness. Then suddenly in the final arcs he tries to address storylines he set up earlier, but the execution is not satisfying.

As I stated in my review of Volume 5, the Rebis storyline
Roman Colombo
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vertigo
I could have used a little more with the Candlemaker--the battle with him, and then the Think Tank, ended too quickly. Also ending the volume with the lackluster Doom Force special didn't help. I get it, making fun of Liefield and Wolverine is fun and all, but after so emotional a series, it felt weird to end it there, but then again, where else would they put it.

The rest is the same strange brilliance of Morrison. I'm sad there's no more, but it was good to see it conclude.
Fizzgig76
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reprints Doom Patrol (2) #58-63 and Doom Force Special #1 (July 1992-January 1993). The battle for Earth’s survival is on…and only Doom Patrol knows it. The Candlemaker is loose on Earth and using the Chief’s virtually indestructible robot body to wreak havoc on Manhattan. It is up to Doom Patrol once again to stop the madness that no one can see and not everyone will walk away from the battle unscathed.

Written by Grant Morrison with artwork by Richard Case, Sean Phillips, Steve Pugh, Ian Montgo
Paul Spence
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol wraps up in a very definitive way in it's final collection. After fighting the Candlemaker, the characters are still alive and they get a series of epilogues, to the point that I don't know how the next writer was supposed to put this back together. Some of the endings were poignant and moving.

This series had highs and lows. I felt that the highs were the stories involving the Brotherhood of Dada and The Painting That Ate Paris. It dropped a bit in volumes 3 and 4. A
Ryan
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
At this point, Morrison was completely bored with Doom Patrol. I'd stake your first born child on it.

Once the Candlemaker materializes, he becomes another boring villain wreaking a lot of havoc and making things get blowed up real good.

Having defeated the Candlemaker (was there ever any doubt), the chapter ends with a rousing cliffhanger in which the DP must again SAVE THE WORLD FROM A GLOBAL INFECTION!

How do they do it? I don't know. It happens OUT OF SCENE and literally over the course of SIX
Nate
Jul 13, 2019 added it
Beautiful. Morrison definitely played the long game with Doom Patrol, and it more than pays off. For all the surrealism and weird concepts that saturate his run, he always comes back to the Doom Patrol themselves and what they represent. I just love this ending. Much of volume six (which includes the tongue-in-cheek Doom Force special) is big superhero fighting, and tense fighting at that. But it’s those ending moments that make this series even more special than it already was. Bravo, Mr. Morri ...more
Martin
Nov 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Kind of disappointed by this book & the way Morrison wrapped up his run on Doom Patrol. By far the weakest of the six volumes.
Derek
You couldn't ask for a better end to Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol.
Antonio Kleber Gomes
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Michael
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loeg-archives
A nice finale to Grant's run, though I'm still a little disappointed that they didn't fold Flex Mentallo into the final Doom Patrol trade. I have to wonder a little bit what the ensuing issues were like, since Morrison wrote out the entire team except for Cliff! Lots of imagination, some cool twists, and a sense of "anything goes" -- without the typical "death and dismemberment" theme that usually accompanies "anything goes."
Brendan
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“The Empire of Chairs” remains one of my favorite run-concluding stories ever written, bringing Morrison’s Doom Patrol run to a surprisingly emotional finale. The Doom Force special that rounds out this collection is entertaining, but superfluous.
Kathleen
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
A whole issue was too long for the Doom Force joke to last.

I did like Danny the Street becoming Danny the World. That was lovely. The depowering and gas lighting of Crazy Jane less so. Overall, this was not the strongest Doom Patrol book I've read, but it was a nice end cap to the run.
Robert Hudder
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The end of this incarnation. A fitting end. I am now ready to read Gerard Way's version
Anubhav
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nothing but <3
Wing Kee
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Poetic and beautiful ending to a wonderfully amazing run!

World: Well the art is gorgeous and the frames are so odd and different that they are just stunningly innovative. The world building here is wonderful. Following the events of the last arc we get more consequence and all the pieces moving into place for a finish. The pieces for the world is great and it does not lose it's oddity and the ending the series chooses is also just as odd.

Story: This is as close to a superhero comic book this ru
Raj
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wondered at the end of the last volume just how Grant Morrison was going to get himself out of this one and at the end of his final volume, I'm full of admiration for the man as he not only did extract himself cleanly from the cliffhanger at the end of the previous volume, but continued to create a marvellous finale to the story and end it in a satisfyingly Morrison-esque manner.

Restored from backup disk by Willoughby Kipling, Cliff, Dorothy and Kipling race to try and destroy the Candlemaker
Bodhidasa
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Why do I love the Doom Patrol? Well, for a start they are not your usual misfits, you know the ones I mean- the posing cosplay inspiring kind who are all angst, enlarged body parts and impenetrable continuities. In contrast, No one would want to be The Doom Patrol. Even they don't really want to be The Doom Patrol. I miss their presence in comics, I miss damaged people who try their best because basically, that's who we all are. We don't all pose about with Xs on skin tight Lycra- we try and und ...more
Joel
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a very solid finish to Morrison's run on Doom Patrol; the last two issues of the run are particularly good. I'm glad I pushed through the slog that was the incoherent middle of his run (Vols. 3 and 4 of the collected editions). This collection also includes the Doom Force special, which is a spot-on parody of early '90s Image and Marvel, gratuitous cleavage and gratuitous hash lines included. I'm sure this parody was pertinent at the time given the dominance that this style of comics had ...more
J.
Jul 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Well, I think I'm glad this series is over. Early on, it was pretty brilliant in it's bizarreness. But I just didn't enjoy the second half of it nearly as much. This volume sees the team square off against the Candlemaker, and it turns into a surprising amount of just comic book punching. And the big finale of the series is just a little too clean and neat for the series: it's tonally disappointing.

Anyway, this is certainly a unique series. But I can't say that it's always as much fun to read as
Juju
Feb 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
The entire concept of the Doom Patrol is catastrophe, there would be no point for these wierdos without the end of the end of the world looming over every issue. It's unfortunate that the Candlemaker was unintentionally one of the silliest things in a series absolutely full of very silly and weird things. Beyond that though, are some great moments, and it's easy to see the genesis of lots of stuff that would later permeate the Invisibles... because with Morrison the end is really just the beginn ...more
Travis
May 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Still some great stuff here, but it's pretty obvious that Grant was running out of steam and was working to wrap up his sage and various loose plot threads.
Everyone but Cliff and Jane tend to fade into the background as we wrap things up.

Still some great little moments between Cliff and Jane and Grant has no shortage or great, bizarre ideas ( Danny the Street is one of the greatest super hero HQs ever) but there's also a going through the motions, trying to get from point A to point B feel to i
Aaron
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
An explosive finish to one of the weirdest series I've ever read. Unfortunately, the "final boss" or whatever is a pretty undefined and generally just a very powerful killing machine, and the conflict is wrapped up in just a couple of pages, but Morrison scores points for managing to make the ultimate end to his run simultaneously poignant and hazy. Also, I laughed a lot at the bonus parody of X-Force featuring a Wolverine-like character with silverware bandaged to his hands and a guy whose only ...more
Craig
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-2011, favorites
The most humane, character-centered gonzo superhero book I'll ever read. It is simply the best thing Morrison has ever done. The final issue of Morrison's run, #63 aka "The Kingdom of Chairs," is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read, across genres of literature. As much as I wanted Morrison to continue, this issue is a loveletter farewell to the characters. Worth every issue to get to this point...
Christian
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shannon Appelcline
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
The first issue of this collection is brilliant, with its questions of reality [10/10], but after that the rest of the Candle Maker story is pretty normative (if brutal) super-hero punch-’em-up [7/10]. Things end pretty abruptly after that, but the final issue with Jane is a good story with a brilliant ending [9/10]. The Doom Force special that ends things off is funny, but it’s no Doom Patrol [7/10].
Gretchen
Aug 21, 2008 rated it liked it
By the time Grant Morrison got to Planet Love, he was probably tired of Doom Patrol. The stories lack the true zest earlier volumes had. The bit with Crazy Jane lands in our world was interesting, but the last parody of X-men comics at the time was unreadable. You really wish that the aliens would come and pick up Grant Morrison’s work.

• Swamp Thing, Vol. 6: Reunion
  • Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • Queen and Country, Vol. 5: Operation Stormfront
  • Shade, the Changing Man, Volume 1: The American Scream
  • Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 2: The Face and the Brute
  • NextWave: Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 2: I Kick Your Face
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 7: Regenesis
  • Essential Doctor Strange, Vol. 1
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more

Doom Patrol (1987) (6 books)
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 1: Crawling from the Wreckage
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 2: The Painting That Ate Paris
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 3: Down Paradise Way
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 4: Musclebound
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 5: Magic Bus
“Modern man has successfully razed the imaginative landscapes of primal peoples the whole world over. Kill the gods first, slaughter the sacred animals, rewrite the mythologies, and build roads through the holy places. Do all this and watch the people decline. Without souls, they soon die, leaving dead shells, zombie cultures, shambling aimlessly towards oblivion.” 4 likes