Start by marking “Blaze” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  32,492 Ratings  ·  1,314 Reviews
Once upon a time, a fellow named Richard Bachman wrote Blaze on an Olivetti typewriter, then turned the machine over to Stephen King, who used it to write Carrie. Bachman died in 1985 ("cancer of the pseudonym"), but this last gripping Bachman novel resurfaced after being hidden away for decades—an unforgettable crime story tinged with sadness and suspense.

Clayton Blaisde
Audio CD, Unabridged, 8 pages
Published January 22nd 2008 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published June 12th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Blaze, please sign up.

This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Wow! This book was fantastic!

Why does King start the book with an apology/warning? This book is now definitely in my top 10 favorite King books (if not the top 5)

Seems like this one is even frequently skipped by King fans - please, stop skipping and read!

This book has a great story and great characters. It is quick and easy to read and kept me interested every page.

Blaze is a flawed but easy to sympathize tragic hero who doesn't really know what he is doing, but thinks he is doing it for the be
OMG........I cannot believe how good this book is.......well, there were a couple things that bothered me in the narration sequence, particularly the final flash from the past, but I'm still surprised at the overall low ratings.

This is not your typical Stephen King (Richard Bachman) read, as a matter of fact, King did not originally think it worthy of being published, but be prepared, there are scary times, a kind of horror of a different sort you might say, that caused me multiple OH NO! and OM

Dan Schwent
Dec 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Aided by the voice of his dead friend George in his head, a slow goliath named Blaze kidnaps an infant and holds him for ransom. Can Blaze hold things together long enough to collect the ransom?

Blaze is a straight up crime book from Stephen King, aside from the voice of George in Blaze's head, which might not even be supernatural in origin. I have to wonder why this wasn't the book Stephen King offered up to Hard Case instead of The Colorado Kid.

The story of Blaze unfolds in two parallel stories
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, crime, suspense
This was a bit of a return to the old classic King, sans monsters and gore. It's a novel King wrote 30-odd years ago, then rediscovered and polished up and released as the last of his Bachman books. Ironically, I found it to be one of the better stories of his I've read recently, but I always have had a bit of a preference for his older stories - his newer stuff often just doesn't quite strike the right chord with me.

King has always been good with stories that pull up the carpets on small town A
Medhat The Book Fanatic
DNFed on page 76

I hated this book from the very first page. I didn't like the atmosphere of it. I didn't like the writing, which, to me at least, felt very dry. And I didn't like the two main characters; not even Blaze, who is soft in the head (I am sorry if that sounds inhuman to say, but it is how I felt), and I thought that he isn't an interesting character, as far as I've read.

I just didn't care about anyone and anything.

Also, I need to say that I was very excited to read Blaze, especially
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Zadnja Bachmanova knjiga napisana davne '73 godine, a manuskript pronađen na tavanu poslije 30 i kusur godina. Stvarno šteta što je Bachman preminuo... pisao je prokleto dobre knjige.
Iako ovdje nema prštenja ideja na sve strane i iako je priča poprilično banalna, ima ono nešto, a to je karakterizacija. Blaze, iako negativac ove priče, je tako draga i fina osoba, a la John Coffey iz Zelene milje, da ti srce ugrije toplinom i dobrotom kojom lik zrači, uprskos užasnim djetinjstvom koju je imao, i
Jennifer Wardrip
Stephen King may be the "master of horror," but with BLAZE he proves that he's also just a plain ole good writer. This story is a mixture of a thriller, a mystery, a police procedural, and a personal struggle to figure out who you are.

Blaze, aka Clayton Blaisdell, Jr., is a dummy, and he knows it. Ever since his father threw him down a flight of stairs (and then hauled him back up and did it a couple of more times), Blaze hasn't had the brains for learning. The dent in his forehead might make h
Nov 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Considering that this is one of King's earliest works, (even under the Bachman Pseudonym), I think it's rather good. It's certainly not in the same league with his best fiction, but I was drawn in from the very beginning, and the story continued at a good pace up until the tense, nerve-wracking ending.

I like the way King introduced his main character in the beginning with a sparse amount of information, and then interchanged chapters the character's past with the present. We know that Blaze has
Thomas Strömquist
I thought this "Mice and men"-inspired little trifle was a more enjoyable read than I was afraid of, but it surely did not feel like an important one. What really made it was the flashbacks showing what shaped the brain injured baby-napper to what he is. The story itself unfolds and ends following the only logical pattern (except for the very ending which is probably not too realistic, but still very predictable).

I'm not sure why King felt compelled to publish this after so many years and certa
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Am I the only person on the map to not know Stephen King's early pseudonym was Richard Bauchman? Huh.

This was the last book written under that pen name, and it is not of the horror genre but a bit like Of Mice and Men with a crime story thrown in. A kind but slow fellow named Blaisedell is befriended by a small time con called George who uses him in his cons, but genuinely cares for the big lug. Blaze continuously talks with George throughout the snatching of a six month old baby, but the twist
Gregory Del Duca

First and foremost, I am a self-described and unembarrassed "King Head." I have devoured Stephen King's words since reading "Thinner" as a fairly young boy with a slightly twisted mind that loved to be challenged, expanded, and scared.

I am also a person who has read loads of classic and contemporary fiction, non-fiction, science fiction, scientific journals, periodicals, etc. My point? I don't simply spend my time reading one author or genre, and I am a fairly discrimiinating reader.

I fee
Franco  Santos
Buen libro de King bajo su seudónimo de Richard Bachman. Es muy entretenido, ameno, fluido y rápido ; sin embargo, hay alguna que otra parte que se me hizo un poco pesada y quizás hasta monótona.

Es curioso que con el personaje principal de esta historia llegás a sentir una especie amor-odio.

Tiene un buen final; a muchos no les gustó, tal vez no fuese el mejor, pero es aceptable, y arriesgado. Me encanta que los autores se arriesguen con las conclusiones.

En fin, buena novela de King, para pasa
Doreen Petersen
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
An earlier work by Stephen King but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The ending sucked me in and I just couldn't stop reading it until I finished. A sure sign of outstanding writing. I would recommend this one.
Horace Derwent
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book brought me tears and laughter with moving pathos and humor

sk had the wonder of using different approaches to achieve equally satisfactory results like Of Mice and Men

if i were a director directing an sk's novel, this book would be my first choice!
Essi | morrisongrl
This was one of the few King books that I hadn't read yet. A new,unread King book is always a treat! And this one didn't disappoint. Goodreads puts this in the horror category,which it isn't. It's more of a crime/mystery type of story.
It took me some time to really get into it,and at times it felt a bit slow. That took away that one star. But other than that,I really enjoyed this. The character of Blaze was so well written,I really started to care for him. The story tells his life story as well
Wayne Barrett
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, stephen-king, 2015

After reading this I am a little surprised that it doesn't have a higher rating. I thought it was pretty damn good.

Written around the same time he wrote Carrie, King listed this one under his pseudonym, Richard Bachman. maybe that's fitting because one thing that stands out to me in this novel is that there is a complete absence of the!

Blaze, the nickname given to our main character here, is a hardcore crime novel. This is one of those stories that is told in su
Alissa Patrick
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
2- 2.5 Stars.

I just kept waiting for something to happen, but nothing really did. This felt like Stephen King-lite. Yawn. Not a fan of this story.
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, brace2018
Μετά το σκάλωμα που έφαγα με τη Μίζερι, ήθελα οπωσδήποτε να διαβάσω κάτι παρ' όμοιο. Να μπω 100% στην ψυχολογία του χαρακτήρα και να νιώσω την αγωνία του. Και το Μπλέιζ ήταν ακριβώς αυτό που ήθελα!
Είναι από τα βιβλία που διαβάζονται με την ανάσα κρατημένη και σε βομβαρδίζουν με τα πιο έντονα συναισθήματα. Θεωρώ αδύνατο να μη συμπαθήσει κάποιος τον Μπλέιζ, παρά τις πράξεις του. Το τέλος με στενοχώρησε πάρα πολύ.
Although there is nothing I like better than to pick up a 1000 page novel by this extraordinary storyteller, sometimes less is better. This is one of those times. A simple plot, great characters, and a perfect ending.

Blaze is a big hulking galoot who doesn't have much going on in the brains department, complements of his abusive father. Irretrievably damaged with a dent in the middle of his forehead, he is removed from the home and plopped into the uninviting lap of the state orphanage. After a
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novel was so-so.

Honestly, the best part was the short story included at the end, Memory. It was the genesis for Duma Key, which I'm now really looking forward to reading. Otherwise, the novel itself only gets about 2 stars.
Stefan Yates
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
There is no doubt that this definitely has the feel of a Bachman book. As is true to the normal style of Kings novels attributed to Bachman, this novel is a gritty pared-down version of what you would normally expect from Stephen King. That is in no way saying that the book is bad, to the contrary, it was a very well-written and moving story that I thoroughly enjoyed.

The thing that sets the tone of the Bachman entries apart from other works of King is that, while still very detailed and develope
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book even better this time around. It WAS sentimental, but in an honest way. Blaze had a heart of gold, but he was certainly no angel.

I don't believe was written by Bachman. I know. Who am I to say, but Bachman's books are always depressing or bleak. This one was neither. It was sad, but that's not quite the same thing, is it?
Janie Johnson
I read this book as a buddy read with a friend. This was the only Bachman book I had not read by King, so I thought I would give it a shot. Was this a masterpiece? No. not even close, but I did find it somewhat entertaining and it does seem to fit in with the Bachman books. If you read King or you are a fan, you learn his writing style pretty quickly and you can tell that this is one of his earlier novels. Even though, I still thought that the book moved along with a decent pace and with the mix ...more
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 21st-century
3/5 — The longer you live, the dirtier you get

This review contains spoilers.

Written before Carrie, then edited before its release in 2007 as a posthumous Bachman book, Blaze tells the story of sympathetic rogue Clayton Blaisdell, or "Blaze". King tips his hat to Steinbeck in this one, it being a shadow of Of Mice and Men. Our narrator splits the story between Blaze's tragic childhood and adolescence, and his life in the present.

And, presently, our big galoot—dull-witted but big and burly—is car
Feb 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay I was asked if I wanted to read this along with a friend and I thought why not. In the early days of my reading I will admit I voraciously read my way through Stephen King's publication list and for the most of them I loved them (some were so so while others were amazing and I still refer back to them even today).

However reading Blaze I realised two things. The first was that its been far too long since I immersed myself in Mr Kings work and secondly - and I guess this will come across a l
This is an ok book that I would not recommend as a first book you read by Stephen King. However, I highly recommend it if you are a Stephen King fan, but need a break from his books with more complicated plots and multiple characters. This one focuses on two characters (only one of whom is actually alive) and one simple plot, with some flashbacks. "Blaze" is a brain-damaged man who plots to kidnap a baby for ransom, following the instructions of his former partner in crime, who is only alive in ...more
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Poor Blaze! Throughout the whole book your heart just goes out to him. He seems to be one of those that if life had taken a couple of different turns could have had a great life. I think Blaze ranks close to Snape (Harry Potter) and Spike (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) as the bad guy character who is good deep down and you just want to pull for.
Nick Iuppa
In his introduction to the Pocket Books edition of the novel Blaze, Stephen King says that he wrote the book after his other early novels (The Running Man, Roadwork, etc.) but before his success with Carrie.

After re-reading Blaze he decided it just wasn’t very good. He stuck it in a box somewhere and forgot about it. After releasing his other early novels under the pen name Richard Bachman, King gave Blaze another read and decided that it still wasn’t good enough and stuck it back in the box. F
I read this for the 2017 POPSUGAR Challenge prompt 'A Book by an Author Who Uses a Pseudonym'

1/4 - I really enjoyed Blaze. This is the first 'King' book I've read in nearly five years (I read The Dead Zone in August 2012) and I was a bit worried about the quality considering the low average rating here, but I was pleasantly surprised by what I thought was an interesting thriller (sorry guys, definitely not horror, there were some supernatural goings on but it wasn't in the least bit scary) with
Aymen Ben cheikh
Blaze, a geant who was beaten by his father when he was a kid and grew up in the Hetton House, lives by stealing money with his friend George. They decide to kidnap the baby of a rich family, but George dies, and Blaze decides to do it alone. This book is amazing. I loved the fact that King made a main character without trying to give the readers what they want, and he makes us like the characater who is a mentally sick criminal who decides to kidnap a baby, by showing us how he grew up and the ...more
Stephen King 2018...: Finished (may be spoilers if you haven't finished) 5 10 Feb 28, 2018 06:16PM
Stephen King 2018...: New month, new read 6 26 Feb 05, 2018 01:33PM
Stephen King Fans: Blaze - Bachman book 45 220 Sep 07, 2017 02:40PM
Stephen King Fans: BLAZE-Bachman book 20 247 Jan 25, 2017 11:17AM
Around the Year i...: Blaze, by Richard Bachman 5 37 Nov 03, 2016 07:54PM
Play Book Tag: Blaze by Richard Bachman 3.5 stars 1 9 Sep 14, 2016 08:48AM
  • Blockade Billy
This is a Stephen King pseudonym.

At the beginning of Stephen King's career, the general view among publishers was that an author was limited to one book per year, since publishing more would be unacceptable to the public. King therefore wanted to write under another name, in order to increase his publication without over-saturating the market for the King "brand". He convinced his publisher, Signe
More about Richard Bachman...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • July, July
  • Clock Without Hands
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
    $9.99 $2.99
3 trivia questions
1 quiz
More quizzes & trivia...
“Memories are contrary things; if you quit chasing them and turn your back, they often return on their own.” 12 likes
“He was going to make this happen. His feet and his head was set, and when he got that way, he always did what he said he was going to do. It was his pride. The only one he had.” 5 likes