Start by marking “Last Year's Mistake” as Want to Read:
Last Year's Mistake

Last Year's Mistake

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  5,157 Ratings  ·  561 Reviews
Before:
Kelsey and David became best friends the summer before freshman year and were inseparable ever after. Until the night a misunderstanding turned Kelsey into the school joke and everything around her crumbled - including her friendship with David. So when Kelsey’s parents decided to move away, she couldn’t wait to start over and leave the past behind. Except, David wa
Published June 9th 2015 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Last Year's Mistake, please sign up.
Gina Ciocca Hmmm.... I did post a teaser on Twitter and Instagram today. It's only a little snippet, but there are more to follow. Here's the link: …moreHmmm.... I did post a teaser on Twitter and Instagram today. It's only a little snippet, but there are more to follow. Here's the link: http://instagram.com/p/zFrGdpwGaH/?mo...

I'd also like to add that the photo I used for the teaser is one that I took in Newport, and is of the Cliff Walk where the scene actually takes place :)(less)
Kylie I guess she made a big deal because she felt awkward that her best friend kissed her unexpectedly.
Red Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
YA Debuts 2015
419 books — 3,363 voters
P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny HanThe Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie WestAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenSaint Anything by Sarah DessenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga
2015 Contemporary YA
255 books — 1,342 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
“Ryan,” I bleated. “I’m sorry.” I wanted to tell him everything, tell him that he wasn’t the only one who’d done something despicable. Part of me wanted him to know how I’d kissed David and then come back and slept in his bed like nothing had happened. How I was just as disgusted with myself, if not more, than I was by what he had done. But watching him break down, I knew there was no point. I’d only hurt him more.
Oh, boo fucking hoo. I have so much sympathy for a cheater.

This book is about a
Lola
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
For more reviews and bookish fun, check out Deadly Darlings!

*Possible spoilers, although I wouldn't call them full-blown spoilers just because of the sheer predictability of this book on its own.

My initial thought after reading the book was simply oh, how nice, but after much self-deliberation and intense thinking, I've come to the conclusion that this book was absolutely frustrating.

You don't understand how much I wanted to hit Kelsey across the head. To say the least, I'd describe her as a slu
Gina Ciocca
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi there! I wrote this book for so many reasons, the biggest being that the experiences and emotions I went through as a teenager in high school have never stopped resonating with me. I wanted to take all of those feelings and tell a story about two people who find a way into each other's hearts, only to part ways on bad terms, and what happens when they think they've put their feeling aside and are forced to face them.

It was important to me to do this in a way that felt true to the high school
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Simon Pulse and Edelweiss.)

“How dare he breeze back into my life in his stupid green T-shirt that clung to his ridiculously sexy chest and try to act like the last year had never happened?”

This was quite a slow YA contemporary romance, and it didn’t hold my attention well.

Kelsey was a girl who seemed to want to hide that she had known David before he started going to her school, even though she had hi
Aditi
“A lifetime isn't forever, so take the first chance, don't wait for the second one! Because sometimes, there aren't second chances! And if it turns out to be a mistake? So what! This is life! A whole bunch of mistakes! But if you never get a second chance at something you didn't take a first chance at? That's true failure.”

----C. JoyBell C, an American author

Gina Ciocca, an American author, penned her debut YA novel, Last Year's Mistake that centers around two high school teenagers and their
Booknut
I tried so hard not to cry reading this...I really did.
crying photo: Crying - Ariel tumblr_lqh06kpXGr1qdlkgg.gif

But I failed. Terribly.

Last Year's Mistake though, is not a book I want to connect emotionally with. I want to be totally disengaged so I can say without a doubt that I didn't like it! And while this may sound like total crazy-talk...just hear me out.

Have you ever read a book with characters so dumb that you just wish you could fling it at a wall? Or someone's head?
throw book photo: Rigoletto Throwing a Book Rigoletto-Book-Throw.gif

This is one of those books. I wish I could write:
(A) A review about how it
Lucia
Dec 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, 1-2-stars-read
I feel like this was just waste of my time :/
And I was truly looking forward to this novel.
Guess I am too old for this level of high school teenage drama.
Full review later
Shannon Moore
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Some people are going to love this book and some are seriously going to hate it. If you can make it to the halfway point, it does get much better.

In general, I loved the flashback chapters that took place during Kelsey and David's friendship, but kind of hated the present chapters. The writing is solid and definitely packs a punch, but Kelsey wasn't a terribly likeable heroine.

Oh the angst though. Love it!! Will check out more from this author in the future. <3

JOIN THE SISTERHOOD! FIND US
Anabel (inthebookcorner)
DNF'd at 46% because nobody got time to continue reading a book that they're not enjoying :)
Kisses A
Jul 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Piece of the worst shit I have ever read. Really cheesy predictable bull. Definitely this year's mistake. I dnfed it 50% in. I was so annoyed with everyone.
Marla Mei

Last Year's Mistake by Gina Ciocca
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: June 9, 2015
Rating: 3 stars
Source: ARC sent by the author

Summary (from Goodreads):

Is there anything that electric chemistry can't overcome? The past may be gone, but love has a way of holding on in this romantic debut novel told in alternating Before and After chapters.

The summer before freshman year, Kelsey and David became inseparable best friends - until the night a misunde
Gabe "The Dungeon Master" Graffam
Welcome back to... Gaaabbbbbbeeeesss booooooooook review:

This was a very bad book, I would not recommend it. It is through the eyes of a woman named kelsey, she's in high school. Her old friend, soon to be boyfriend came from his high-school after moving. He had asked her out, and she rejected him, even though she liked him. It really didn't make sense, why not break up with her current boyfriend, and get with him. I did not enjoy this book, there was a certain lack of logic, and empathy. 3/13 S
Juhina
Sep 10, 2014 marked it as could-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Not a fan of books that start off with the main protagonist in a relationship but throughout the book some other guy is getting her attention and cheating happens and the poor boyfriend is left clueless until he finds out or she breaks up with him. I'm DNF-ing it for sure. It is my fault, I will analyze he synopsis of contemporaries from now on to make sure a such a theme isn't present
Allison
Apr 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
DNF @ page 58.

This book is so bad that I'm going to do something I've never EVER done before. I'm going to actually try to return it to the bookseller.
Nova Zaiden
Want more reviews, discussions and fun-filled posts? Check out my book blog, Out of Time.

I gave this one half a star ugh.

Me and this book certainly had disagreements. And that's putting it lightly. Bluntly, I couldn't agree with anything or anyone in this novel. I found the relationships to be unhealthy and the characters in need of a dose of reality. - Nova @ Out of Time

Jeez, this book. I was very disappointed in the beginning and downright angry at the end. In my opinion, this is such an unrea
nick
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc

I've been pining for Last Year's Mistake ever since I saw the original cover. While not without its flaws, the book turned out to be very hard to put down. I wouldn't call it the most memorable read, but I can't deny that it had entertainment value.

I think the biggest flaw when it came to Last Year's Mistake was Kelsey for me. She's not very easy to like from the get go, mostly because she came across as extremely judgmental. I also took issue with the way she slut shamed every female character
Ariana
Uu, this cover is so cute, but why june 2015? I want it now, damn it, all books seem to be half year away when I want them *sigh*
Meg
Apr 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Every once in a while a romance novel comes along that makes you believe in love again and believe that people who are meant to be together always find a way to be together in the end. That was not this book. I don't even know where to start, this whole thing was awful in my opinion, and honestly, I don't see myself reading anything by this author again. I hated Kelsey, when I say hate I truly mean hate. She was the type of girl that I have long hated, the girl who doesn't recognize the feelings ...more
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
There were things I liked and things I didn't...mostly all related to stupid teenager-type stuff. Sorta felt like reading my journal from high school, which is both a good and bad thing, lol. One thing, though...after reading this, I really wish they would've kept the original cover...kissing in the rain is relevant, both to my interests and the story.

Full review to come.

----------------------

An advance copy of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thought
Danielle
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
A love story about a pair of hypocritical cheaters.

Kelsey, who's not like those other girls, is living the high school dream of dating an alcoholic bully and yucking it up with a pair of cheerleaders she doesn't respect or particularly like. Suddenly her life is flip turned upside down when her ex-best friend shows up at her school. She wants to be cool, but David's all up in her face and alkie bf is totes jealous and it's a big thing and what's going to happen to Kelse's fresh start? :(

The onl
Rebekah
May 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-addiction, 2015
Full Review here! CHECK It out!

Michelle Arrow
This review can also be found on A Thousand Lives Lived, check it out for more reviews!

Here we have another (fantabulous) addition to my 5-star streak of 2015. Not that I'm sighing, taking deep breaths, or am acting depressed in any kind of way. None of that. Instead, THIS IS THE MOST ASTONISHING THING TO HAVE HAPPENED TO ME FOR YEARS AND MONTHS AND CENTURIES AND... you hopefully get what I'm trying to say. Last Year's Mistake is the most cute novel that I've read this year and I can't simply ge
Brina
Feb 20, 2017 added it
Obwohl "Last Year's Mistake" schon etliche Monate auf meiner Wunschliste stand, war ich dennoch ein wenig skeptisch, da mich die Kurzbeschreibung nie so ganz angesprochen hat. Dennoch wollte ich dem Buch eine Chance geben und bin froh, dass ich nicht enttäuscht wurde, denn die Geschichte ist weit weniger oberflächlich, als es auf den ersten Blick scheint, besitzt aber dennoch die ein oder andere Schwäche.

Man muss zwar sagen, dass die Autorin mit der Geschichte nicht das Rad neu erfunden hat, all
~Tina~
Last Year's Mistake, is told in a before and after alternating chapters as we start off with senior year and Kelsey Crawford's life is just about perfect. Things at home are good, she has real friends and a boyfriend who adores her, but that all changed the minute she saw David Kerrigan walking down the hall at her school. Back up to the summer of freshman year and we see a younger David and Kelsey meeting for the first time at Kelsey's uncle's summerhouse. They become fast friends, best friends ...more
Jasprit
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m always a huge fan of second chance romances. I always love that anticipation of our characters paths crossing once more and that dread in the pit of your stomach of not knowing how things are going to work out this time, but enjoying the slow build up of possible things that could be. For some reason I didn’t realise that Last Year’s Mistake was based around a second chance romance, but I’m so glad that I gave it a go, as the romance was done beautifully.

Kelsey and David became fast best fri
Rachel Solomon
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
A strong romantic debut, LAST YEAR'S MISTAKE chronicles Kelsey's complex relationship with her best friend/enemy/love interest, David. The story unfolds non-linearly, one timeline showing how the two become best friends and struggle to remain close until Kelsey moves away after a mysterious incident. The other shows how they come back together a year later. Both timelines are packed with ups and downs, and each chapter ending made me hungry to turn the page.

When Kelsey and David meet again durin
Amy Clipston
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!! I was hooked on the first page! Could not put it down. Read it in a little over 24 hours. Just wonderful. I highly recommend it to fans of young adult romance. Just amazing! I can't wait for Gina Cicocca's next book.
Bri •Books and Bri•
Meh.

Here we have yet another YA contemporary romance surrounding emotionally immature teens who refuse to communicate and instead decide to date and sleep with other people rather than face their feelings. NOPE.

This was a quick read, but it was chock full of genre tropes and cliches. It was easy to see where the story was heading, and with little to no emotional ties to the characters, I was bored for most of this read.

Others have said this already, so I won't hash it out too much. This is ju
  • Making Pretty
  • Not After Everything
  • One of the Guys
  • After Hours
  • Truest
  • Finding Willow (Freedom, #0.5)
  • A Million Miles Away
  • This Way to the Sugar
  • Perfect Couple (Superlatives, #2)
  • Between Us and the Moon
  • Play On (Lewis Creek, #1)
  • Like It Never Happened
  • Anne & Henry
  • Hello, I Love You
  • First There Was Forever
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Tenderness of Thieves
  • Alive

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)