Start by marking “Inquisitor (Witch & Wolf, #2)” as Want to Read:
Inquisitor (Witch & Wolf, #2)

Inquisitor

(Witch & Wolf #2)

When Allison is asked to play Cinderella-turned-Fiancée at a Halloween ball, the last thing she expected was to be accused of murder on the same night. She has to find the killer or she'll be put to death for the crimes she didn't commit. To make matters worse, the victims are all werewolves.

On the short list of potential victims, Allison has to act fast, or the killer wil
Published May 16th 2014 by Pen & Page Publishing (first published April 29th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Inquisitor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inquisitor

Tiki
Jul 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
A lot of good ratings but this was a total miss for me. I did manage to finish it hoping it would all come together and make more sense, but I stick with the feeling I had at 32%in: doesn't make a lot of sense. I like to figure things out but this is a bit convoluted. Allison/Shimmer is some old werewolf-witch combo trying to help a friend, Mark, by posing as his girlfriend. At the party he asked her to attend, he's gone most of the time leaving her with his witch step mother. Their interaction ...more
Meera
Okay, look: if you're 6, being a pirate-princess-tiger-ghost is okay. If you're older than that choose...two, okay?
P. Kirby
I've so gotta stop judging books by their covers.

My artsy-fartsy brain glommed onto Inquisitor's cover design. The kind of cover that works at multiple scales, including as a teeny, thumbnail image. A lone, dark figure strides forward against a simple, but dynamic backdrop of cool-toned blues and flame-hot yellow, with the latter grounding the image. The kind of design that pulses with a great sense of narrative.

The first few pages of the novel aren't bad. The protagonist, Allison, is obviously
Corey C.
Mar 07, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Twilight fans
I tried to power through everything wrong with this book because I wanted to write a full review, but I gave up around 30 pages in. That was enough to show me that the problems I had with it were too fundamental and pervasive to think it might get better later.

When I read urban fantasy, I'm expecting work in the vein of Gaiman, Elrod, de Lint, or Butcher, but this seemed like it was shaping up to be closer to the Mary Sue paranormal romance popularized by Stephenie Meyer. I think it may have bee
So, I Read This Book Today
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
“I have no idea what's awaiting me, or what will happen when this all ends. For the moment I know this: there are sick people and they need curing.” ― Albert Camus, The Plague
“No one thinks of how much blood it costs.” - Dante Alighieri

“Can you please ask James to return to the lab?”
“I’m afraid that’s not possible, ma’am.”
“Why?
“He just locked himself in containment and started howling.” – R. J. Blain, Inquisitor

When you are as old as Allison Victoria Mayfield Hanover, you realize that only are
Runningrabbit
This played heavily on the mystery side particularly with the inclusion of werewolves and witches.

It hit a couple of slow spots which almost had me putting this down but ultimately I finished this off and was glad I did. The mystery puts up a good show and although there was certainly areas I nailed I didn't get it altogether with the last third opening to full throttle.

There is impending hints of romance to come in the next book, so if you're looking for some cuddle and snuggle in this novel y
Book Junky Girls
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Allison's friend calls in a favor and for the witch/warewolf thing become crazyquick because sh'es asked to go to a ball on Halloween which happens to have a full moon. If she can keep from growing a tail before the party is over she might just get through the night.... Until someone's murdured and she's accused of the crime. Together with her witch best friend she has a mystery to solve and she has to do it before others catch up to her. When it comes down to it who can she trust to he
Jonel
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This novel was definitely not what I expected. It was fathoms more than that. From the moment I picked it up I couldn’t put it down again. The story itself is extremely original. Blain combines the known supernatural world with that of her own creation to create a positively sinful experience for her readers. The storyline is a rollercoaster that keeps you on your toes and guessing. At the same time, you are drawn further and further into this exceptional tale. This is definitely my favourite ta ...more
Shen Hart
Sep 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
Review By Michael Keenan at The Review Hart

This is a book with absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever. Its use of language is abusive, its character development ranges from Mary-Sue to non-existent with nothing in between, its sense of plot and pacing isn’t competent enough to be called haphazard, and all in all I can’t shake the feeling that it’s made with a genuine hatred for the reader that can only be expressed through tremendous literary cruelty.

This book has no right to exist.

Full
Eric
May 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book desperately needs editing. Simple, obvious errors like putting Saigon in Korea, as well as continuity problems like planning to do something tomorrow she'd finished 3 paragraphs before plague the book.

The story itself was pretty mediocre. It starts with conflict that requires an emotional investment before we are familiar enough with the MC to care. The character herself reads more as a collection of quirks than a real character, and those quirks don't make a lot of sense together.

I fe
Maggie
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came to these books through a fantastic deal (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B... ) for the series (Inquisitor, Winter Wolf, Blood Diamond, Silver Bullet and Tales of the Winter Wolf Vol. Six). Fantastic as I enjoyed this collection and am off to purchase the ones not contained here.

They’re easy reading, light fantasy mysteries containing some romance without the expositions of lust and detailed sex scenes.

I’d come to RJ Blain through her Magical Romantic Comedies - a series that embrace
Eustacia Tan
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I first heard of Inquisitor the day before its release party last Friday. The name "R.J. Blain" rang a bell, and I realised that I've seen her around on Google+. Of course, I signed up to support a fellow Plusser, and in the process, received a review copy from her.

While I did put this book at the top of my TBR list, I can honestly say that the reason why I finished it so fast was because it was a gripping read. I was hooked from the first page.

Inquisitor follows Allison (I shalln't say her name
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ A review copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

In order to do a friend/client a favor Allison goes to NYC against her better instincts and that’s when the caca hits the fan. It’s Halloween and there’s a full moon. You see, Allison is not just a mild-mannered accountant. She is a werewolf, a rogue werewolf at that. But that’s not her only secret. In order to protect her secrets she has to ditch Allison and become someone else. Luckily, she’s had plenty of practice at t
Brooke Johnson
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I first heard of R. J. working on a new fantasy novel—one with a werewolf main character—I was skeptical. First, I’m not much of a fan of werewolves, and second, I tend to shy away from anything that hints at urban fantasy. I’m a sword and sorcery fan, and this was obviously not going to be that. But, as I was hired as a proofreader for the novel, I was going to read it regardless. Not being my chosen subgenre, I didn’t expect to care much for the story.

I definitely didn’t expect to love i
Majanka
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

I’m not overly fond of werewolves, but I decided to pick up Inquisitor anyway, and I’m glad I did. What lured me in about the premise was the murder mystery, and how the main character gets accused of a crime she didn’t commit. I love a good murder mystery, and if you throw in false accusations, and paranormal creatures, then I’m all ears.

While the murders are the red wire throughout the book – if Allison doesn’t solv
Rosie Reast
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Inquisitor is the first book by RJ Blain that I have read. I wasn't sure what to expect but I liked the cover and have heard RJ Blain talk about the process of writing Inquisitor over on google+.
I decided to try the book, and it has held me captive since.
The first chapter, set at a Halloween party lured me in making me ask lots of questions about the main character, a werewolf witch, who lives in the USA. The story is told through her eyes and she makes for a believable character. I was left hop
R. A. Desilets
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I saw this book in the early stages as an editor and spoke with RJ through her revisions.

So - this book based on plot, character development, and overall style (things you don't change as an editor) is 4.5 stars for me.

Plot - fast paced, action packed, and full of mystery. It keeps you on your toes as a reader, trying to put together the pieces as Allison does.

Characters - this is the half star remover for me. RJ knows I like my MCs to be almost overly emotional, but she continues to write stro
Books-fly-to-me
Nov 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Editing would help this book. Is the plot to solve a mystery or show off how rich and clever the witch/wolf is? Pointless , this book is pointless. Fact checking, plot building, and critical thinking would help.
Michelle
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
what a muddle of a book, the first part of the muddle is a homage to organisational perfection. It then descends into a chaos of plot twists and where every character is revealed to lead double lives. Even having read to the end, the final reveal makes no sense.

Deeply disappointed by this book.
Misty Baker
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
** As posted on KindleObsessed blog **

In the last two weeks I have written 7 reviews. And with each, I feel as if I have become harsher and harsher with my critiques. Poor writing, fractured plots, unrelatable characters, whatever the flaw, I can’t help but blast it with my negativity stick until it no longer resembles a novel but more a pile of alphabetical ash. This makes reviewing hard. It makes reading even harder.

Let me ask you a question…

Have you ever had the displeasure of being in a book
Thelma
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read,,

This is the second book of this author's that I have read.. I read the first one twice back to back..lol...though Inquisitor and Winter Witch had different voices, they both pulled me in and kept me enthralled throughout..I would recommend this book to anyone who likes the Mercy Thompson books.
Rich
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea why I didn't read this book sooner. I've had it on my kindle forever and just never started it.

Once I did start it I had problems putting it down and that's a good problem to have. I really liked the characters and the story. I didn't know what was going to happen next. I didn't feel like it was reusing all the standard urban fantasy tropes and I genuinely enjoyed myself reading it.

I suspect I was paranoid about a female protagonist written by a female author. I was really burned
Nucking Futs the Fire Fairy Book-a-holic
I haven't heard of RJ Blain before. But the moment I read the blurb, I know I just have to read this book.

If you're a fan of Urban Fantasy, werewolves, and witches then Inquisitor is a must read for you. It's fast-paced, action-packed with just a very, very, little hint at romance. I could have given it 5 stars but there were some inconsistencies that I felt should have been dealt with. Other than that, the book is really entertaining.

This is the second book I read in a row that deals with werew
Dr susan
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, favorites, read-again
I have never rated a book before I finished, but the only thing Blain could do to change that 5 stars would be to kill everyone with an Earth destroying comet at the end of Inquisitor. I LOVE this book, and I love Shimmer!

I found Inquisitor by looking at the books Amazon 'recommends' based on my browsing history. Then I pushed that infernal 'try a sample' button, and I was lost. I have been trying to come up with a genre description for this book. If Alistair Maclean, Rob Thurman and Rhiannon He
Pratr- Authors
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing

I received this book from the author, and from Paranormal Romance and Authors That Rock. Allison is a rogue wolf-witch always on the run from the inquisition. During a halloween party Allison is attending, a murder is committed for which she is the most likely suspect. On the run and with more murders happening around her Allison tries to work out who is behind them before the inquisition find her.
I found this book really enjoyable. Whilst reasonably long in length the book moved forward at a g
Nikolai Novak
Aug 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
This was, without a shadow of a doubt, the worst book I have read in a very long time. The characters were weak at best and shallow outlines at worst. The entire plot was nothing more than a fractured day dream for the author to slip into and pretend they had everything. The world had some glimpses of potential but they were overshadowed by the huge number spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. I had to reread multiple sentences to try and figure out what they were supposed to say.
Susan  Baratta
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main character seemed like different people, the plot seemed to change on a dime, the secondary characters were all over the place, half the time I was confused and the other half I probably just didn't realize I was confused, and pretty much no one is as they seem...more than once. However, the story is not a mess! I enjoyed it! And I couldn't put it down!
Diane
Definitely 3.67 on Amazon, but I can't round up when I'm left unclear on certain points

Allison/Victoria is a fascinating character, with good traits and dangerous ones, with some *ahem* cool abilities that can fall on either side, but also self-doubts and painful memories. Parts of her past are deliberately cryptic, and possibly will be further revealed in later stories, as may the fates of certain secondary and as-yet minor characters. That's not what I was referring to in my headline when I sa
Anita
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read several books by this author back-to-back. This series is good, but not as silly as the Magical Romantic Comedy series I loved. I noticed in the first two books of this series that they suffered from editorial issues at the conclusion. The author tends to throw a bunch of surprises in at the end, and sometimes has to write an epilogue to explain what just happened. There are writing techniques to foreshadow more of that info, and some of the twists and turns could be smoothed out so they ...more
Jackie
A combination of fantasy, mystery, suspense and twists that are at times rather complicated just like the main character is complicated.

The deceit, double dealing and downright lies that make up a good amount of the story are not always easy to keep straight and do not totally make sense at first but do eventually.

I felt like there were too many contradictions that occurred during the book that at times bogged me down trying to figure out what was true or false rather than smoothly going on with
« previous 1 3 next »

• Frost & Bothered (Discord Jones #4)
  • Bite Me (Blood Chord #2)
  • A Witch's Path (Witch for Hire #2)
  • Blood from a Silver Cross (Kat Redding, #4)
  • The Portal and the Panther (Guardians of the Portal, #1)
  • Unleashing Echoes (Reconstructionist, #3)
  • Beasts of the Walking City (Walking Cities #1)
  • Toby Streams the Universe
  • The Wolf's Cry (The Semei Trilogy, #1)
  • Lover, Divine (Mythos: Gods & Lovers #1)
  • Ahe'ey
  • Cursed by Fire (Blood & Magic, #1)
  • Henge (Le Fay #1)
  • Wild Card  (Bite Back, #3)
  • Wicked Misery (Miss Misery, #1)
  • Darker Things (The Lockman Chronicles, #1)
  • Path Unchosen (Daughter of Ravenswood #1)
  • Undercover Magic (Shifty Magic, #2)
RJ Blain suffers from a Moleskine journal obsession, a pen fixation, and a terrible tendency to pun without warning.

When she isn't playing pretend, she likes to think she's a cartographer and a sumi-e painter. In reality, she herds cats and a husband, and obeys the commands of Tsu Dhi, the great warrior fish.

In her spare time, she daydreams about being a spy. Should that fail, her contingency plan

Witch & Wolf (5 books)
  • Winter Wolf (Witch & Wolf, #1)
  • Blood Diamond (Witch & Wolf, #3)
  • Silver Bullet (Witch & Wolf #4)
  • Shadowed Flame
“Samantha sighed. “Then I’ll get out of the damned car, figure out which wolf in this damnable forest is you, and beat you until you change back. If that doesn’t work, so help me god, I’ll collar your mangy ass and sell you on eBay.” 1 likes
“I sighed. “What’s a couple of bullets to the chest when compared to a grenade? Bulletproof vests are great things. Every girl should have one.”

Blain, RJ (2014-05-11). Inquisitor (Witch & Wolf Book 1) (Kindle Locations 1452-1453). Pen & Page Publishing. Kindle Edition.”
1 likes