Start by marking “Alex + Ada, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Alex + Ada, Vol. 1

Alex + Ada, Vol. 1

(Alex + Ada #1-5)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  8,219 ratings  ·  1,248 reviews
From JONATHAN LUNA (GIRLS, THE SWORD, ULTRA, Spider-Woman: Origin) and SARAH VAUGHN (Sparkshooter) comes ALEX + ADA, a sci-fi drama set in the near future. The last thing in the world Alex wanted was an X5, the latest in realistic androids. But after Ada is dropped into his life, he discovers she is more than just a robot.

Collects ALEX + ADA #1-5.
Published July 16th 2014 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Alex + Ada, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Shadowjac No, it reads like a dull version of it; by which I mean none of the characters have much personality unlike Chobits. Whereas Chobits focuses on…moreNo, it reads like a dull version of it; by which I mean none of the characters have much personality unlike Chobits. Whereas Chobits focuses on character development, and the social issues with technology, Alex + Ada focuses on when is something sentient. Personally I found Chobits more fun, and thought provoking but that's just me. EDIT: I just realized that the plot is even more similar to another manga called Absolute Boyfriend, it is actually better than that manga.(less)

·  8,219 ratings  ·  1,248 reviews

Raeleen Lemay
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, graphicomanga
This was great! I love robots and A.I.s, so this was really cool. I watched Ex Machina not too long ago, and this is giving me all of the robot coolness I've been missing since then.
Anne
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Hal & the Terminator
Recommended to Anne by: Mike
Awwww. I'm all aflutter with feelings!
I wasn't exactly expecting to feel that way when I found out this was about sentient AI, you know? Most of the time, these stories just terrify me!

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

description

Whatever. This made me feel kinda warm and fuzzy. And not towards Ada. You don't really get to know her much in this volume. Although, I assume that's coming up in the next one. No Alex is the one we sort of follow along with in volume 1.
And he's just...such a nice gu
Whitney Atkinson
HOLY CRAP I THINK THIS IS MY NEW FAVORITE GRAPHIC NOVEL
Nat
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
description

This story follows Alex, a human that lives in a world where is it common for people to live alongside robots.
These robots are there to help in any way to make life easier for humans.

description

We read only from Alex's perspective, which I found to be really disappointing. He felt like a very bland character and I didn’t like that his facial expressions almost never changed.

But when he did feel something (mostly sadness), he started to remind me of Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s character in (500) Days of Summe
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
THIS WAS SO GREAT! I can't wait to read the next volume!
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

(no) Life-changing sitcoms

(no) Meaningful conversations

A well-balanced relationship? (how about no)

A happy male-lead who never mops and who isn't one-dimensional, nah (I'm still searching for his second dimension, though)

The perfect gorgeous woman android (actually, she is quite perfect, duh)

Okay, okay, there are also info-dumping, a hacker (DUH), a secret network of resistance (RE-DUH), and a lot of *Lock* ... *Unlock*.

I mean, REALLY? How boring. Everything is so fucking NEAT and superfici
Sam Quixote
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sentient robot stories have been done to death at this point - Blade Runner, I, Robot, Her, AI, Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, even Pinocchio, to name just a few examples – but, as I’ve mentioned in other reviews, it’s not so much the freshness of the concept as it is the execution that’s important in storytelling. And in Alex + Ada, writer Jonathan Luna doesn’t do anything particularly new or original but he does create an enthralling story that masterfully draws you in and holds your attent ...more
Jan Philipzig
Still undecided about this one. The topic has lots of potential, of course, but so far the execution feels bland and strangely depthless to me. Sure, it can be pleasant to dream up a future world unaffected by environmental degradation and mass poverty and instead filled with obedient robot butlers and awesome communicator implants and sexy androids that can be magically "unlocked." It's the kind of naive celebration of consumer culture I have a problem with, though, so I hope the story will tur ...more
David Schaafsma
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
4/14/18 A re-read sort of in conjunction with my cli-fi class, since we had just read Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Because it also deals with the extent humans and androids can experience empathy, and love. Dick and Luna agree that it is possible, basically.

1/16/15 Original review, with a little light editing: This is Isaac Asimov's I, Robot meets Lars and the Real Girl territory, by which I mean that love can happen between humans and "objects." As usual in these ventur
Calista
Another robot story. Still, I found this story engaging. The is a lovely tone to this book.

Does anyone think that AI like this is really possible in our futures? I don't really know if that's good or bad.

I think the robot, Ada when she has no sentience is very creepy. She waits at the door all day long for Alex to come home. She has no opinions. I would not like that. That would get on my nerves quickly.

I also enjoy the chat room they show in one chapter. It's interesting to see it as a room t
Norah Una Sumner
description

So interesting and fun! I really enjoyed reading this story and I definitely connected with these characters, especially Alex, of course. Also, his grandma is too awesome too handle. Love her! The art is gorgeous,too. I really hope that the characters will develop a bit more and that the story will get even more intriguing in the next Volume.

description
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

I didn’t know much about Alex + Ada before I started reading it. All I really knew was that it centered around the idea of artificial intelligence in a futuristic time period. First of all, if you couldn’t tell already, I absolutely love futuristic story lines. Especially when they’re so incredibly realistic and don’t feel too far off from the near future. I love the idea of technology waking up, even though it can also be a scary thought in reality, it makes for a great fictional story. Volume
Lotte
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I got this graphic novel for Christmas yesterday and read it the same evening in one sitting.
I really, really enjoyed it and I'm definitely going to use the gift certificates I also got to buy the sequels very soon! :D Highly recommend this one! Maybe it's even more of a 4.5 star read for me :)
Ylenia
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ylenia by: April (Aprilius Maximus)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I NEED VOLUME 2 RIGHT FUCKING NOW.
Donovan

Damn. Why did I wait so long to read this?

This is brilliant stuff. As other reviews more eloquently state, the subject of A.I. is not a new one, but the compelling story and minimal artwork take this to another level.

Sarah Vaughn and Jonathan Luna co-write, while Luna illustrates. The writing and illustrations are minimal. There are pregnant pauses and long silences, which is, the argument can be made, machine-like. The dialog is crisp and realistic. This is pure indie film drama, slow burn ye
Selene
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my new favourite graphic novel! I am so disappointed my library doesn't yet carry the other two volumes. :(
Gavin
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
description

Another from the IMAGE Humble Bundle...I honestly can't get over how much of a great deal this was.

OK so Alex + Ada is a very simple story, nothing crazy or wild in the concept. Alex is a depressed 27 year old guy who's been pining over his breakup for 7 months. On his birthday, his grandmother sees how down he is, and since she's super happy with her robot paramour, she decides to send him one of his own for his birthday.

He gets it, and wants to send it back, but when he discovers that it will
Tori (InToriLex)
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, robots, comic, romance
Find this and other Reviews at InToriLex
The imaginative future technology, humor and minimalist art, left me entertained and ready to learn more about Alex and Ada. Alex is a twenty something who is gifted a X5 (Ada) , from a well meaning if over sharing grandmother. After becoming more familiar with her, he wants her to be herself, which means unlocking her sentience. The future technology includes having a implant you can use as a phone, a portal to the internet, and a way to control technolog
Gabby
Holy shit this was so so so so cute. I've recently been getting into graphic novels, last month I read all 24 volumes of The Walking Dead and I've been desperate to find another good graphic novel series since. I think this might be my new favorite! This story is so cute. It's about this guy named Alex who lives in a world where Prime Inc. runs the world with their cars, phones, and androids. They have created androids that look like real human beings and people can purchase them all around the ...more
Amy | shoutame
Fantastic story line - somewhat let down by the artwork.

- This comic follows the story of a human named Alex. Alex lives in a world where is it common for people to live alongside robots, these robots are there to help in any way shape or form. As is accepted by most humans these robots are not capable of thought of their own. They are non-sentient.

- Much to the surprise of Alex, he arrives home from work one day to discover that his Grandmother has bought a robot for him. To begin with Alex att
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

As weird as the last comic I read (Dark Engine Volume 1: The Art of Destruction), this was AWESOME!!! I know there have been loads of movies/TV shows/books with this premise (one that comes to mind is the Joaquin Phoenix movie, "Her"), but this was just well done! I love the method of using several panels with minuscule or no changes to build a scene and a mood!

I can't wait for volume 2!
Ashley DiNorcia
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wonderful! The art is simple and stunning and robots and AI and UGHHH YES
Katiria
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-books
Ok, I've been dying to read Alex + Ada for a long time now because I heard amazing things about it. So I decided to check it out from the library, too see if I like it or not. And I am so glad and happy that I check this graphic novel out because I absolutely love and enjoyed it so much. I absolutely love everything about it! The plotline and concept are unique and very refreshing to me I haven't read a graphic novel quite like this before. The characters to me are well developed and very charac ...more
Anna (Bananas)
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to Anna (Bananas) by: Anne
Oh, I love this! What a clever, funny, heartfelt, genuine story. Even if you've never picked up a comic before, I'd recommend this to you. It's that relatable.

Essentially it's about the human condition, wrapped up in a simple artificial intelligence plot. Alex receives an anatomically-correct android on his birthday, a present from his amusingly randy grandmother. She's got one of her own and she loooooves him!

What makes Alex + Ada special is the many poignant, sometimes stinging observations a
Shannon (leaninglights)
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 4.5 stars!

I really enjoyed this! I didn't know what to expect going in and the premise reminded of the movie Her - really excited to get to the next volume :)
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, z2017
I enjoyed reading this. I think it is a really cool premise for a graphic novel and I'm excited to find out what is next. Alex & Ada didn't really shine as three-dimensional characters yet but I'm still liking their relationship. I hope we see some character development in the future comics and something cool for the story. It is an interesting look at what the future could be like in regards to future technology. I recently got obsessed with Black Mirror, the tv show, which also looks at wh ...more
Jenbebookish
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2017
I actually really really liked this! A graphic novel about AI, robots, sentience...& the morality of creating and owning these life-like robots that are built with the ability to be sentiment & have independent thought. A robot is just a robot, but at what point does their ability to be sentiment become a danger to humans, as well as at what point does it become cruel to do what we do to them? They might not be real, but they do feel real, at least to themselves, and what is the risk we ...more
Tanja
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I LOVED THIS SO MUCH.

I’ve read a few graphic novels now and I must say this is my absolute favourite. It has an interesting and eventful plot paired with beautiful artwork and the dialogues are really easy to follow. Definitely recommend this!
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the use of silence. I appreciate the premise and all of the positive symbolic language. I appreciate the protagonists and the other characters, and how everyone interacts. I'm looking forward to the next volume.
Paz R.M.
4.5 stars.
Having read the whole series now I gotta say, this volume is by far the best one.

Set in the future, Alex + Ada is a story that, as many others have, explores the concept of being human. In this sci-fi graphic novel we follow a world where humans and androids live together, where technology is such a fundamental part of the everyday life, where cars and phones and pretty much every electronic device is controlled by a chip inside your head. Recently though, after an incident with a new

• The Russia Shift (The Fuse, #1)
  • Shutter, Vol. 1: Wanderlost
  • Bitch Planet #2
  • Velvet, Vol. 1: Before the Living End
  • Rocket Girl Volume 1: Times Squared
  • Postal, Vol. 1
JONATHAN LUNA co-created and illustrated THE SWORD, GIRLS, and ULTRA (all Image Comics) with his brother, Joshua Luna. He co-created and illustrated ALEX + ADA with Sarah Vaughn. He wrote and illustrated STAR BRIGHT AND THE LOOKING GLASS (Image Comics). His work also includes the art for SPIDER-WOMAN: ORIGIN (Marvel Comics), written by Brian Michael Bendis and Brian Reed.

Jonathan was born in Calif

Alex + Ada (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Alex + Ada #1
  • Alex + Ada #7
  • Alex + Ada #8
  • Alex + Ada #9
  • Alex + Ada #10
“We don't seek anyone out. We just wait and hope that people who want the same things come along.” 6 likes
“When I was your age, I made the most horrendous mistakes. And I enjoyed every minute of it.

At least go out and get your pee-pee wet.”
3 likes