Start by marking “Get What You Need” as Want to Read:
Get What You Need

Get What You Need

Love isn't rocket science. It's much, much harder.

Determination and elbow grease propelled Greg London from blue-collar background to Ph.D. candidate. His single-mindedness doesn't leave a lot of room for a personal life, but that's the price of success. Besides, it's not like the boring nerd ever ends up with the hot guy.

Then his housemate, gorgeous undergraduate jock Mar
Published July 15th 2014 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Get What You Need, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get What You Need

Start your review of Get What You Need
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

If miscommunication were an art form, these boys would win awards.

This book was really sexy with lots of sucking and licking and talkin' dirty. And I love that!

The writing was strong, with no editing issues in sight. Love that too!

But the trajectory of the story felt off to me. The MCs, Greg and Marsh, get it on in chapter one and then proceed to dance around each other for the rest of the story.

Greg and Marsh are college students and roommates, and share a house with a couple other g
Sara

Believe it or not, I am an emotional reader. I am also a long time reader of romance and thank my hopeless romantic heart that I can fall in love with a wonderful story. This was a wonderful story.

Greg London has worked hard to be where he is, currently in grad school going for his PhD and living in a house full of like minded “geeks.” Greg studies hard, he works hard and he crushes hard on his hot, athletic, non geek roommate downstairs that he thinks he doesn’t have a shot with. But while Gre
Sunny
3.5

I loved these two boys, but the communication issues were killing me as I read their story. I couldn't even enjoy the good stuff because they were being such idiots. Finally, they started to talk. Kind of. Tip-toeing around each other, giving hints, but trying to communicate. A little.

Their conversations were awkward, both trying not to say something that would reveal their feelings. It was hard to see relationship development when they never really talked and only had a few moments where ten
Samantha
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Somewhere between a 3.5 and a 4, but definitely closer to a 4, and it's 1 AM, so I'm just going to round up!
Deep inside, he burned. He knew where he could get at least a bit of what he wanted, and if it wasn’t real and wasn’t all of it, well… You took what you could get sometimes. And when your ass hit the curb, after, at least you got to remember it.
Greg London is as smart as they come. He's got big aspirations, and he's not simply a graduate engineer student for nothing. But it's t
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
These guys never talked to each other. There was no foundation. Honestly, based on the words on the page and the inner dialogue I know they never talked. They were both so insecure when they were together but confident when they weren’t. They were quite the definition of boys being stupid. They fall in love anyway and I was really happy about that. I wanted it and kept reading because I kinda needed it. Funny how what normally would make me insane crazy can be written in a way that honest to God ...more
Vallie
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spicy-hot, mm

Wow, what a surprise! I wasn't expecting too much going into this but boy was I in for a treat!The plot here isn't complicated. There's Greg. A bit on the geeky side, totally focused on his PhD and his teaching duties, glued to his computer, with a pretty much non-existent social life, except for the brief interactions he has with his housemates. Then there's Marsh. Undegraduate history major and a baseball player. All-American good looks. Insecure but acting cool. Popular. But so freak
Dennie
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Ro
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
What to even say about Marshall Sulkowski. Carrying the weight of a family that doesn’t believe in him and the certainty that he isn’t worth anything good, yet to the public, he’s charming, athletic, popular and funny. After a family incident over the summer, Marsh is no longer able to afford the apartment he had planned on getting with his teammates and he is very lucky when the “Geek Squad” advertises for a roommate. Marsh, well, he feels out of his element here – these guys are SMART!

In part
Kristen
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it
The miscommunication and using sex as a pacifier got really old, really fast. I wanted to reach into the pages of the book and strangle these two. If the sex and dirty talk hadn't been so well written, I'm not sure I would have made it through!

The book was well-written, but the constant angst really went on for way too long.
Camille
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m-rom-erotica
Opens with sex...before any significant amount of characterision.

Miscommunication and misunderstanding trope...a whole plot hinged on not actually talking.

Not for me.

15%
Nichole (DirrtyH)
Jan 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, college-boys, 2015

Yes, this is one of those books. Where all the conflict stems from a complete lack of communication. Each boy thinks the other only wants sex, couldn't possibly be interested in more because they're not good enough. They both have serious insecurity.

While the Big Misunderstanding is a very irritating trope, I think in this book, the Big Miscommunication actually made sense. I could relate to these boys. The fear of opening up, being vulnerable and getting rejected is very real. And sinc
Cehache
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.75 stars.

I wouldn't give it 5 only because I was so stressed during the whole reading because of Greg's own stress, and because our boys didn't fucking talk. Which only added to the overwhelming feeling of being stressed because Marsh is stressed because Greg's stressed and ldigldfjgdilfughjf.

What I liked most was Marsh being so emotional. I mean, he's the jock, popular and confident, and when it comes to Greg he's anything but. He falls in love first and I find him to be more vulnerable tha
Anke
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
More like 3.5 stars

It was an engaging story with likable MCs, but what totally got on my nerves was their inability to just talk to each other. More than half of the book was either misunderstandings or hurtful remarks or their being afraid to want more than just a casual fling. The writing was good and I wouldn't mind to read more about both, now that they finally started talking and the relationship progressed.
Andrew
Apr 23, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm too frustrated to even say something sensible.
Chris, the Dalek King
There is a slight chance that Marshall Sulkowski is going to be the death of Greg London. Greg is sure of it-–what with Marsh’s tendency to walk around their house all hot and jocky and just so damn lickable. However, much to Greg’s lament, it is much more likely that grad school–-not the increase in salt intake from sweaty jock housemates-–will be the cause of his untimely demise. All before he ever gets a chance lip, lick, or suck anything on Marsh’s body. And then a very unlikely thing happen ...more
Tina
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Get What You Need (apart from being a line from my favorite Stones' song) is a pretty typical opposites attract romance. Both men think they aren't worthy of the other and that here is no way he could possibly want me. Through some serious attraction, convincing on both parts and a lot of getting to know the person behind the stereotype, they find out that they were wrong about almost everything they initially thought about each other.
Marshall Sulkowski finds himself in need of affordable housin
Jess
Even though I had a status update about this, I feel the need to repeat the information that was in it: there is a lot of sex in this book.

And hey, in context, that works. Marsh and Greg are both emotional idiots who want more from each other but due to their own insecurities can't understand how the other would want anything more from them than sex. And since they're wildly attracted to each other, they do that. A lot. But for the first half of the book, more or less, if they're in the same roo
Joyfully Jay
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

So I liked the set up of this story. I am a sucker for a good geek and jock story and I really liked how Grey sets up these two guys as seemingly so different but with a lot of similarities underneath. Greg puts his all into everything he does. He works nonstop, never feeling like he can do enough or give enough. On top of his own work, Greg is always helping out others, the first one people come to when they need assistance. But Greg is incapable of asking for hel
Tori
Jeanette Grey builds a sexy dirty romance between a jock and a geek that focuses on getting what you need opposed to what you think you want. Miscommunication seems to be considered foreplay between these two men who cross the finish line without even knowing what they are competing for. Crisp, clear writing, erotically charged scenes, and a viable storyline keeps the reader engaged but the unnecessary conflict and internal angst drags on for far too long.

Read the rest of review in the July iss
Lucia
Apr 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, geeky-mc
Although i normally love nerd/jock type books like this. There were a couple of things that bothered me (view spoiler)

Boyanna
i liked it well enough, and the characters were realistic and all but i'm giving it 2 stars just because the plot was entirely derived from not talking with each-other!
Bubba
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one sort of steamed the lenses of my plastic readers.
There have been complaints about the main characters not communicating with each other.
I think this does happen in real like - perhaps not to this extent - but it probably does happen. There have been many books and films with this premise.
Lisa The Novel Approach
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Get What You Need (apart from being a line from my favorite Stones song) is a pretty typical opposites attract romance. Both men think they aren’t worthy of the other, and that here is no way he could possibly want me. Through some serious attraction, convincing on both parts, and a lot of getting to know the person behind the stereotype, they find out that they were wrong about almost everything they initially thought about each other.

Marshall Sulkowski finds himself in need of affordable housi
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Charnel‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

4 STARS

Review copy provided for an honest review

Marshall Sulkowski has no idea what an intelligent guy like Greg London could ever want with a barely passing his classes, dumb jock like him. Marshall looks at Greg as if he hung the moon and the stars. Marshall has low self-esteem, family issues, no money and no plan for his future.
Greg sees Marsh as the sexy, popular guy on campus. Greg is so busy trying to play it cool and hide his nerdy s
Pat
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What's more sexy than two studly college students who decide to have sex in order to alleviate a little pressure in their lives, but end up finding love instead? That's what I thought after passing up SJD Peterson's BAMF and a slew of other books I've enjoyed reading this month. In fact, I had so many choices that I'm late writing this review--which I've started a number of times with different books.

But Get What You Need by Jeanette Grey is the perfect mix of sex and sincerity. PhD candidate Gr
Bo
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not Your Typical Nerd-Jock Romance

This is NOT a typical nerd-jock romance. This one is a bit more angsty because the MC's just can't seem to communicate all that well with each other except when they are in bed--or having sex against the bedroom walls or on the floor. And that can lead to complications and misunderstandings and tears and fears and clearly unnecessary mutual nervous breakdowns.

Marshall Sulkowski is an all-star baseball player undergraduate who latches on to a spare room in an off
Page Crusherz
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it

Full Review: http://watch-and-word-society.blogspot.com/2014/07/book-review-get-what-you-need.html

4.25

Can I please give Marsh a hug? I was attracted to this book because a.) I often love the MM Samhain puts out, and b.) I love me some nerds (since I am a nerd!) I expected to read this and identify with the geeky ways of the nerdy MC, but Ms. Grey crafted an even better character in Marsh. A jock who doesn't believe in himself, and a young man more alone in the world than Greg could even realize.
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
Greg and Marshall "Marsh" meet when Marsh moves into the house Greg is living in. Greg and Marsh have a HOT night and agree to be "sex buddies". What happens when each of them decides they want more, but doesn't think they are good enough, to be anymore than a casual sex partner?

Greg is an Engineer Grad student. He is a hard worker. He works himself too hard. Marsh is in school on a baseball scholarship and a history major. He thinks he is nothing more than a dumb jock.

I loved this book, altho
Karla
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really connected with this wonderful nerd-jock romance. Some of the reviewers had a problem with the lack of communication between the two mains and that is usually something that bugs me, but the author made it work here.

Housemates Marsh and Greg become friends with benefits (although they barely know one another) early in the story. They are attracted to each other but both characters are acutely aware of how they must seem to the other. Super busy with grad school, Greg believes he could n
Melissa Fox
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: really-liked
Really enjoyed - 4.5 stars! The feels were great, loved the characters, their journey, how they took care of each other. Oh, how they took care of each other in so many wonderful ways! The mis/non-communication thing got a bit tedious, and (view spoiler) but those were just small details compared to how much I got sucked into their story. A lot t ...more

• Straight Boy (Straight Guys, #0.5)
  • Just a Bit Twisted (Straight Guys, #1)
  • Eden Springs
  • Bound for Glory: America in Color 1939-43
  • It's Up to the Women
  • Sweetwater
  • Briarley
  • Wild Trail (Clean Slate Ranch, #1)
  • 18 Tiny Deaths: The Untold Story of Frances Glessner Lee and the Invention of Modern Forensics
  • Good Cop, Bad Cop