Start by marking “Games for Actors and Non-Actors” as Want to Read:
Games for Actors and Non-Actors

Games for Actors and Non-Actors

Games for Actors and Non-Actors is the classic and best selling book by the founder of Theatre of the Oppressed, Augusto Boal. It sets out the principles and practice of Boal's revolutionary Method, showing how theatre can be used to transform and liberate everyone - actors and non-actors alike!

This thoroughly updated and substantially revised second edition includes:

two n
Paperback, Second Edition, 301 pages
Published August 22nd 2002 by Routledge (first published June 5th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Games for Actors and Non-Actors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Games for Actors and Non-Actors

Lara Messersmith-Glavin
I was introduced to the work of Augusto Boal by a woman whom I admire greatly. She is a gardener, a writer, an activist, and a performer. She spent time in Brazil studying Theatre of the Oppressed techniques with landless workers there, and now has brought the techniques and skills she learned there back to the States, where she conducts workshops in the practice, among other things.

As an ESOL and writing teacher, I don't always make room in my syllabi for my political work. Many would suggest t
MacK
Boal, a man who truly understands the balance between artistry and education, provides an excellent set of instructive methods for theatre practitioners, or indeed, any one interested in using theatre to help colleagues, friends or patients, access difficult elements within their own natures.

While I can't speak to this book's validity as a text for artistic therapy, I can say that reading this book sparked such a desire to teach and see these exercises in practice, that it was all I could do not
Dhandayutha
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Augusto Baol who was very much influenced by Paulo friere and his works.Paulo friere who wrote fabulous texts like pedagogy of oppressed,whose very educational model was influenced Hindu concept of advaita (Non duality). Here Augusto baol reinterpret the educational model for theater and also he suggest act as tool for personal liberation and protest and freeing ourselves from the mechanized model of life.I am amazed that adavaita concept can be explored in many interesting way such as this.Augu ...more
Nadiene
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A neat index of games. Not all of them are useful in a classroom setting, but can be good for building actors' relationships with each other.
Fiona
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: protodidact
Self help for the perennially pretentious. Seventeen year old me lapped this up, and I still think it's great.
Danni Green
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You learn about Theatre of the Oppressed work from doing it, not from reading about it. But if you do it and then you want to read about it, and you've already read the eponymous text or just want to go right to reading about activities with a little less theory, here's the book for that (it definitely isn't bereft of theory, but the focus is more on the activities themselves as the title suggests).
Şirin
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's fair to say it took some time for me to finish this book! I certainly loved it though. It has various exercises in it, I will make sure to use them in some of the workshops I facilitate. Maybe I'll write a detailed review some day but not today!
Meredith
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great exercises for teaching
Peter
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A must-have for applied theatre practitioners! Even though you may not use forum directly in your work. I used a lot of the exercises in the book for inspiration for several forum theatre productions I did in collaboration with Mozambican artists in Mozambique - see more her if you would like to see free films and download free material about forum theatre:

www.interactive-theatre.com

I even had the luck to spend a whole week with Augusto Boal himself and his son Julian Boal for a weeks intensive
Eliot Fiend
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
boal's work is fucking inspiring and articulate and exciting as much now as ever. it calls out for continually widening application and integration into theatre-making as well as political struggle and activism (often overlapping). this collection is a little overwhelming in its breadth but serves well as a go-to and resource for facilitators and ensembles as well as game-lovers...anyone interested in putting stories, conflicts, and struggles onstage, demechanizing the body, and using theatre to ...more
Denis
This book is one of the rare few that manages to be both extremely interesting and also extremely useful. As a teacher, I was able to mine it for a wealth of useful activities, but Boal also draws you into thinking about instruction from different angles. The activities have a basis in theory, but they are also deeply grounded in practice, which makes it much easier to put them into action. I was able to adapt the activities more easily and more successfully because Boal had clearly put in a lot ...more
Chrissy
Oct 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: past-reads
this man is a genius. inspiring and invigorating...
Sherry
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sherry by: Peter Hussey
Absolutely brilliant! Most useful book I've bought in years :)
John
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theatre
Still a seminal referance text always will come come back to it when situation requires it
Kata Mach
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
great methodology accompanying boal's "theater of the oppressed"- physical and mental exercises for work with actors /theater actors/social actors etc/
Jo Halstead
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
This is a classic text for any Drama teacher - first read it in '95 and I still refer to it and use many of the techniques and games in it now.
galaxy
Jul 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
based on the work of the Center for the Theatre of the Oppressed, Rio de Janeiro. a primary text for much of my work as a teacher, artist, and scholar.
Carolyn
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Augusto Boal is a brilliant People's director and actor who brings theater to the common man to create social change. Used this text in the classroom and during my training days.
Liz
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theatre, own
Boal is a god among theatre practitioners. His work can be used in so many ways and is so much fun!
Jon Chater
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Boal is an amazing man. This book only begins to show the inspiration of the man. Everyone interested in the power of theatre must read this.
Monica
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly helpful guide to using embodied practices!
Jody
Oct 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this book is rocking my world. making me want to find a full-time drama teacher job. but where do those exist?
Ori Fienberg
Mar 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Sigh. Read it, love it, and then get over it. Living by this book quickly becomes boring, sort of like a very friendly dog; the licking kind. It's better if your second best friend owns it.
Nicole Marino
Well explained, and it's a classic.
Ryan Steffen

• Playing Shakespeare: An Actor's Guide
  • To the Actor
  • Respect for Acting
  • Sanford Meisner on Acting
Augusto Boal was a Brazilian theatre director, writer and politician. He was the founder of Theatre of the Oppressed, a theatrical form originally used in radical popular education movements.

His books are very influential. With 22 published works, translated to more than 20 languages, his views are studied in Theatre schools all over the world.