Start by marking “And Grant You Peace (Joe Burgess, #4)” as Want to Read:
And Grant You Peace (Joe Burgess, #4)

And Grant You Peace

(Joe Burgess #4)

Most people run from fires; firemen and cops run toward them‚ especially when someone inside is screaming. It began when a boy banged on Burgess's car window. He got a gasped‚ "Fire at the mosque and someone's in there‚" and a frantic gesture toward the old commercial building that served as a mosque for Portland's Somali community.

His dash into the building leads to a ver
Published November 1st 2014 by Five Star (ME) (first published October 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about And Grant You Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Grant You Peace

Start your review of And Grant You Peace (Joe Burgess, #4)
John Clark
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Readers of the Joe Burgess series have become accustomed to opening a new book in the series, strapping themselves in and going for a wild ride as Joe and his Portland Police colleagues run themselves ragged, trying to get really evil people off the street. And Grant You Peace is arguably the best book in the series, not only because it has so many threads, but this time around, Joe has to find time to act like a father. His girlfriend Chris has convinced him to help her parent two kids from Joe ...more
Lesa
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Every time I read one of Kate Flora's Joe Burgess mysteries, I'm reminded why I love police procedurals. Her latest one, And Grant You Peace, is topical, but it could be any time period, when the police are doing everything they can to find criminals, and keep the peace in their communities. And, Flora reminds us that the police are human, trying to deal with long hours and brutal crimes, while also trying to keep their own families intact.

Joe Burgess is known as the "meanest cop in Portland", M
Lisa Haselton
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The fourth Joe Burgess Mystery is coming soon, but I was able to read an advance readers copy and here's what I thought about the novel.

This gritty police procedural was breath taking. Literally. I felt I was on Burgess' shoulder throughout the story (at one time I even thought about ducking behind Burgess so I wouldn't get shot). It wasn't just the fast-paced, crisp writing that had me feeling that way, it was the scenarios the cast of characters found themselves in and the immense attention to
Carol
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joe Burgess, the hard working Portland, Maine Detective Sergeant, returns in this fourth installment of his series. It was everything I've come to expect, plus some touching family time. I was so moved be the unexpected scene in the principal's office at Dylan's school that I had to go back and read it again. I nearly cheered out loud. Joe's support and frank sense of justice was just what his troubled 16 year old son needed, and I loved it. The plot was complicated, but flowed smoothly in Kate ...more
Pamela
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
With her very first sentence, mystery and true crime writer Kate Flora snatches the reader off the sidelines and places them squarely on the playing field in this, the fourth entry in her Joe Burgess police procedural series, “And Grant You Peace.”

Detective Sergeant Joe Burgess lives and works in the real-life city of Portland, Maine, a predominantly white city struggling to understand the new Somalian and Sudanese refugee populations inhabiting it. The Portland Police Department is tasked wit
Lea Wait
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kate Flora's latest Joe Burgess police procedural is everything it should be ... and more. The more is the theme of family ... who it encompasses, what it means, and how important it is. In AND GRANT YOU PEACE Joe has to solve the murder (possible inadvertent?) of an infant, the almost-murder of his fourteen-year-old mother, who refuses to speak ... and the political repercussions of both the girl and baby being found in a locked room inside a mosque that has been set on fire. At the same time, ...more
Skye Taylor
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great mystery

An incredible cast of characters and a plot that keeps you guessing to the very last page. This lady is a master of the genre.
Mary Garrett
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AND GRANT YOU PEACE by Kate Flora
I think Joe Burgess should be granted the title of Chivalrous Knight of the Handkerchief. “Decades of binding up his city’s wounds — physical and emotional — with little squares of white cotton.”
“Hankies to stop tears, stop bleeding, bind broken bones and broken hearts.”
Some years ago I proposed waving handkerchiefs as a quiet signal of need for intervention . . . I still think it’s an idea with promise, and I like the addition of Hanky Man coming to the rescue.
Ellen White
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You want to give this a ten star, it is full of drama, emotions, secrets and nobody wants to talk. It begins with a mosque, then a scream of a woman, before the fire bursts into flame. Joe gets too involved, so they don’t want to give him any that has to do with children. He is there with a guy from the team. Call has been made for firefighters, Joe went in, to save the person.
wondering why she and baby in a locked room. Terrified, no words from the young girl, the baby passed without a name. J
Sherry
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
feb 2018 BK discussion BK. 4th book in series, stands alone pretty well though there are a number of incidents, relationships, tensions from previous books mentioned. Set in Portland, ME, a fire in a Somali Mosque almost emulates a young girl and a tiny baby. All efforts to investigate meet with opposition, violence, attempted murders, threats and assaults. Three cops have family problems with children. Tightly paced, frenetic and exhausting action. Believable characters.
Crystal Toller
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the 4th book in the Joe Burgess series. When a young boy Joe knows from the neighborhood knocks on Joe's window to tell him about a fire, Joe rescues a mother and baby from a burning Mosque. What he and his team discover about the mother and the baby makes for a sad story that deals with a number of current issues in today's society. A really interesting read and emotionally hard because of the mother and baby. Highly recommend this book and the series.
Byron Hill
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book #4 in the Joe Burgess Detective series. This was a very good book, with a "very real feel" story line. Some of the incidents and how they were brought out, (had the effect) of making the reader feel anger, impatience, nervousness, then happiness, and sadness. As of this comment, I cannot find a copy of her 5th book in this series "Led Astray"... to be borrowed; which is disappointing.
Cynthia W
I loved this book. The plotline was riveting and the characters very well developed. There were so many twists and turns, but none of them seemed forced or superfluous. The is the first book I've read by this author, but I'm going to be looking for more by her!
Alice
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good writing! Hard to imagine this kind of stuff happening in Portland, Maine. I must be very naive!
Kathryne
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Wonderful entertainment. The next one awaits!
Diane Heath
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This series gets better and better....
Debra Mooney
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
Intriguing story - lots of twists and turns and some depth to the police characters.
Richard
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Joe Burgess book #4 another good story about a police detective from Portland Maine
Badass Lioness
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! Joe Burgess is in his 50s, has a bad knee, a girlfriend, and very recently got some kids... He's not typical. He's a Detective Sergeant and a decent guy. Not hot, debonair, or cocky. I liked that about him. He had conflicts with the Somali refugees, his fellow cops, the Captain, and with his kids. And yet I found him refreshing. He's not perfect, but rushes into a burning building to rescue a girl and her baby.

The case unravels with resistance from the head of the refugees in the mai
Cardyn Brooks
Everyone in this country except Native Americans had been a refugee or an immigrant at one time. [And Grant You Peace, pg. 33]

Well, that’s a true statement if the designation of imported Africans and their descendants as non-human, non-citizen labor commodities is excluded. (Oh, details, details…) Each installment of this compelling series includes at least one racially targeted pronouncement from the lead character that reflects his wide blind spot regarding ethnic history in the U.S. and its
Jeanne
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery, crime readers
Recommended to Jeanne by: Free Bookreads Firstread
Shelves: goodreads-won
I received this book for free as a Goodreads Firstread and it captured my attention immediately. The author has a way of explaining the complexities of investigating crimes unlike a tv show where everything is solved in 45 minutes. She is realistic in showing the interaction of various fields such as firefighters, medical and law professionals with the investigators who work a case. Her main characters are believable and likeable but not always perfect, as it is in real life. The authors sensiti ...more
Dottie
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mystery thriller fans who like more character development in their stories
As the stars indicate, I really liked the latest in Kate Flora's Joe Burgess series. This is an exciting police procedural that has all the action anyone could want - fires, explosions, shootings - but what I found most interesting - and what felt most realistic to me - was the care she took in looking at what dealing with these things does to a policeman and to his family (Joe is a family man now). And how frustrating it is to deal with people who - for whatever reasons they may have - will not ...more
Harvey
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fourth in the Joe Burgess series and the best so far.

Burgess is a homicide detective in Portland Maine who is an old curmudgeon but who is mellowing as he adapts to life with three children new to his home.

A mosque burns with a young girl and her infant child as victims. What was really going on at the mosque and what is the Imam and his family involved in? The investigation takes many directions as well as patience and persistence. Burgess continues to have disdain for his Captain and departme
Phyllis
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was my first book by Kate Flora and my expectations were high based on reviews here and on Dorothy-L. I was, however, disappointed. I liked the main characters, the setting, even the plot. I did not like paragraph after endless paragraph of commentary on policing, societal changes brought on by immigration, comparisons between the "real world" of this novel and police and CSI-type shows on television, etc. For me, there was entirely too much narration, often couched as Burgess's thoughts, b ...more
Christine
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kate Flora is one of my favorite writers, and I especially like this series. This one is about a serious subject, and was very timely. The story grabs you from the first page, and it is complicated enough to keep you engaged. Joe Burgess is a character who is easy to care about, and he is surrounded by other interesting characters. The plot of the story moves quickly, but not predictably to it's conclusion. I recommend this to anyone who likes a good mystery, well told.
Lance Wright
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-titles
This is a superior police procedural, a complex puzzle that requires the vigilance and patience of one dedicated police detective to solve. It is a thrill to tag along with him as his investigation unfolds. With a solid plot and a strong cast of characters, this is an exceptional entry in this series. Read our full review, here: http://www.mysteriousreviews.com/myst...
Barbara Landrum
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Kate Flora's Joe Burgess Mysteries, she is an excellent writer! She carries you through the meticulous following up of clues that "the meanest cop in Portland!" has to do in his investigations of murders in his city. Enjoy reading how she has let our crusty old cop begin to believe that he can gave a family and still do his job. ONLY ONE PROBLEM, I AM GOING THROUGH WITHDRAWALS OF JOE BURGESS! Kate please finish the next book in this series.
Susan
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Flora has nailed the culture of a Portland cop. Joe Burgess must juggle his job of dealing with the tragedies he sees on the street with his complicated home life. I was absorbed in this story, beautifully written, and suspensefully told. While I've read other Kate Flora novels, this is my first in the Joe Burgess series. It won't be my last.
Kim
Absolutely LOVE Kaye Flora's writing. I have all of her books...and at first I didn't think I would like the Joe Burgess series as much as I do the Thea Kozak series...but I do. I still love the Thea books...but I really like Joe too.
Miki
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
It's probably a great book, just not my type.

• Among The Shadows (Detective Byron, #1)
  • Beneath the Depths (Detective Byron, #2)
  • Texas Outlaw (Rory Yates #2)
  • Hit List (Stone Barrington, #53)
  • The Enigma Cube
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather (The Button Box, #2)
  • A Conspiracy of Bones (Temperance Brennan, #19)
  • The Last Odyssey (Sigma Force, #15)
  • Journey of the Pharaohs (NUMA Files, #17)
  • Rain (David Wolf #11)
  • A Reasonable Doubt (Robin Lockwood #3)
  • The Warsaw Protocol (Cotton Malone, #15)
  • Sea Wife
  • Alive and Killing (David Wolf #3)
  • Pursuit of Happiness: From Heels to Wheels
  • Victim Six
  • Revenge
  • To the Bone (David Wolf, #7)
Kate Flora grew up on a chicken farm in Maine where the Friday afternoon trip to the library was the high point of her week. She dreamed of being able to create the kind of compelling, enchanting worlds of the books she disappeared into every week, but growing up in the era when “help wanted” ads were still sex-segregated, she felt her calling was to go to law school and get the job they told her ...more

Joe Burgess (5 books)
  • Playing God (Joe Burgess, #1)
  • The Angel of Knowlton Park (Joe Burgess, #2)
  • Redemption (Joe Burgess, #3)
  • Led Astray (Joe Burgess, #5)