Start by marking “Wrestling the Angel: The Foundations of Mormon Thought: Cosmos, God, Humanity” as Want to Read:
Wrestling the Angel: The Foundations of Mormon Thought: Cosmos, God, Humanity

Wrestling the Angel: The Foundations of Mormon Thought: Cosmos, God, Humanity

(Foundations of Mormon Thought and Practice)

In this first volume of his magisterial study of the foundations of Mormon thought and practice, Terryl L. Givens offers a sweeping account of Mormon belief from its founding to the present day. Situating the relatively new movement in the context of the Christian tradition, he reveals that Mormonism continues to change and grow.
Givens shows that despite Mormonism's
Published November 5th 2014 by Oxford University Press (first published September 19th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Wrestling the Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wrestling the Angel

Start your review of Wrestling the Angel: The Foundations of Mormon Thought: Cosmos, God, Humanity
BHodges
Aug 07, 2014 rated it liked it
In this ambitious book, Terryl Givens explores the foundations of Mormon theology. It's a selective overview, Givens said he confined himself to ideas that have come to be generally accepted by most contemporary Mormons, but he also traces a few dead ends like the Adam-God teaching of Brigham Young. He situated LDS thought within it's surrounding environment as well as on a trajectory spanning back from ancient religion, through Greek thought and the later Reformation.

Givens is more articulate
Lafe
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an exceptional exposition of mormon theology. It places the development of theological ideas in the the proper social/cultural context,as well as the context in the Christian theology. This book is a must read for those wanting to better understand the theological underpinnings of the LDS church. As a lifelong member of the LDS church it was eyeopening to understand better how LDS theology fits and does not fit into current Christian Theology. If you have ever wondered why many Christian ...more
Gary  Beauregard Bottomley
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wish I could find the equivalent to this book for all religions. It is an inside look at what an expert thinks their own religion’s philosophical and theological ontological foundations consist of.

I’m an outsider looking in and this book told me what they believe and why they believe what they do. The historical context that surrounds their beliefs and the defense going back to Paul, or Augustine or other early church fathers even (considered slightly heretical by some) Pelagius and Origen.
Jordan
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dear Rivka:

Rarely do I bestow upon a book 5/5 stars. The last 5 star book I read was 71 books ago! Before this book was written, the only really good book on Mormon Theology (in my view) was Jesus the Christ. Now there are two and I'm having a hard time deciding which one is better.

The best chapter is near the end and it reviews the Mormon view on the atonement. I learned new things I had never noticed from the scriptures before or at least never connected them the way the author does. The
Liz
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
To me, this book is the advanced version of The God who Weeps. It's great for both Mormons and those who want to understand them better. As a Mormon, I loved how this book put our doctrines into a historical framework and helped me see who believes similarly to us. For non-Mormons, this book is a great sophisticated introduction to the more audacious doctrines of Mormonism and how they might not be as odd as you think. I will probably make my kids read this in their teen years.
Michael Hutchings
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is simply the fifth book of scripture. Accordingly, It should be read, studied, marked, and cherished again and again.
Russell Fox
I'm clearly not the perfect audience for this impressive book by Terryl Givens. In the first of what he states will be two books discussing the foundations of Mormon theology, he does a great deal of telling (which he's actually quite up-front about, stating in the beginning of the book that his purpose in writing it is "primarily descriptive"--p. 17), but, to my mind, relatively little arguing or persuading. In other words, he is writing primarily to either 1) those unfamiliar with Mormonism ...more
Chad
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful in-depth study of Mormon doctrine in context of Christianity as a whole. Givens organizes the work first by topic e.g. salvation, original sin, polygamy and then a historical development of that doctrine. It oftentimes doesn't start with Joseph Smith's conception either, but much farther back to Augustine, Clement, Luther, and other figures throughout Christian history. Joseph Smith claimed to restore doctrines, so it's vital to see what he was restoring.

Particularly fascinating
Seth Jenson
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing piece of work by Terryl Givens. Reminded me of Richard Bushman's Rough Stone Rolling (which I LOVED) with its unbiased tone. Much broader in scope though - the latter was focused on Joseph Smith. It's hard to tell if Givens is a member of the church (he is). This is a good thing - he doesn't pull any punches. No rose-colored glasses here. Learned a lot and feel more grounded in my faith than ever. Probably need to read it again....and again. He covers a lot of material!
Melanie
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, nonfiction, lds
3.5 stars.

This is an exploration of Mormon theology. The author seeks to locate the evolution of Mormon theology historically and among other Christian faiths. I was surprised to learn that a number of beliefs I thought were unique to the LDS faith have been shared by philosophers and theologians of other faiths, although not always officially adopted by a particular church or religion. I was also surprised at how certain beliefs have evolved over time.

My critique of this book is that it feels
Courtney Hatch
I’m sure this book wouldn’t be everybody’s cup of tea, but it may end up being my favorite book of 2018. It’s hefty (I would read about 20 pages per sitting and then walk away and digest it for awhile), but it is also extremely well-written. I’m always so impressed by Givens’ many allusions to literature. The man is just freaking smart. I learned a lot about theology in general and loved talking this thing to death over dinner with my husband. Can’t wait to read his next one.
Gary
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another thoughtful book by Givens. He discusses different topics from their biblical beginnings through the reformation and the restoration, including contemporary thoughts of more current church leaders. Lots of good information. It must be read deliberately; there is too much to swallow in big chunks!
Peter W
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Terryl Givens' best book, but also his most boring book. This is because this reads like an encyclopedia: fascinating but without plot.

Thomas Blasucci
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wrestling The Angel is one of the most ambitious works to come out of contemporary Mormon studies; it’s comprehensive, thought provoking, and rich in historical analysis. Professor Givens pulls no punches, yet offers a faithful perspective on the theological origins and formation of LDS doctrine, using documentation and primary accounts that were most likely unavailable to his predecessors.

Prior to Angel, there have been only 3 attempts to formally layout LDS theology in its entirety: Parley
Clinton Hutchings
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mormonism
December 2017

Finished this book for the second time. Much more ambitious of a book than I remembered. Thought I’d refresh on some foundational doctrines for the upcoming year. Definitely still 5 stars.

*************************
June 2016

Holy smokes! What a book. I think it will end up being one of the top three LDS themed books that I've read - Rough Stone Rolling and Rise of Modern Mormonism the other two. I listened to this so I didn't see the footnotes, but it's probably worth getting the book
Todd Decker
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are few who write about the Mormon religion with as much eloquence and erudition as Terryl Givens. This book is not a light read—it is deep and challenging—but it is also very rewarding. Givens shows why Mormon ideas are so powerful and why they animate us live the way we do. His study is useful for non-Mormons as a window into the mind and heart of Mormons. It is also useful to Mormons as a reflection of the implications of our own beliefs. I especially appreciate how Givens is able to ...more
Brent Wilson
This volume makes me wonder - is there any feat of scholarship that Terryl Givens CAN'T achieve??

Separate chapters for a variety of core doctrines, placed in historical Christian context and then showing the Mormon take in its difference and similarity. I tended to skip over some of the Christian history, I admit - but even so, I learned so much about what we share and how we're different - we Mormons I mean.

For lovers of theology - even those of us who won't admit it!
Curtis
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly enough, this book actually exceeded my expectations. I am a big fan of the works of Terryl Givens, and have anticipated the arrival of this book for the last year. I will write a much more detailed review of this book in the next month or two, because such a book is deserving of detailed attention and praise. Suffice it to say that this was probably the most enjoyable book I've ever read on Mormon history and thought. I would recommend it to anyone.
Robamyelkins
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Deep. Lots to chew on. I feel like I gained a greater understanding of my religion with this author's comparison of Mormonism and other philosophies and theologies. I had a dictionary nearby to help me in my reading. Truly enlightening. Gave me some different perspectives to think about.
Karen
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book took me ages to work through but is the most helpful book on my theology and faith that I've read. It helped solidify my feelings about a more merciful God and universal salvation.
Samcwright
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
An incredible resource on the development and current standing of Mormon theology. Pushes the conversation forward. Definitely one everyone should read.
Corey Wozniak
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Terryl Givens is my favorite explicator of Mormonism. Very readable historical-theological survey.

Jacob
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful panorama of Mormon thought and its positioning within the expanse of Western theology.
John Steele
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book that helped me focus on becoming a reactivated church member. So good I've read it twice.
Cory
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An impressive look at the development of Mormon doctrines compared to the development of other Christian doctrines by other faiths.
k k
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mormonism
Wrestling the Angel: The Foundations of Mormon Thought by Terryl L. Givens is the first of two volumes that explore the historical development and contemporary status of Mormon belief and practice. Despite the author’s preface that Wrestling is “not a work of either systematic or historical theology per se (ix),” it is hard to deny that the book is organized in an almost encyclopedic fashion with each subject loosely attached to those around it. Where Givens departs from a traditional systematic ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the most cogent study I've read on Mormonism. Givens gets the religion right. Every scholarly Mormon remotely interested in the history of their religion should read this book (highly recommended for those Religious Studies enthusiasts also interested in Mormonism). It is academic, but don't let that daunt you. Givens contextualizes Mormon belief within Christianity, as well as the change of how the doctrine was taught over time. The rhythm of the chapters becomes a bit tired, as he ...more
Jason
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. A very dry, academic review with a few gems along the way. Not at all like his other works that I've loved. To his credit, Givens doesn't shy away from some of the most difficult moments in LDS history and theology. But the saving grace for me is how it maps the fascinating evolution of LDS theology, highlighting three things: 1) how even Joseph Smith received truth "precept upon precept" in a very organic, sometimes circuitous way; 2) how LDS doctrine is truly a radically progressive ...more
Jessie
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: church, audiobook
I didn't finish this one, so I can't really say. I have been listening to it on audiobook and I found it very interesting at first. But don't desire to pick it back up again, dragging my feet to finish it. I think I will just be done without doing so. I did listen to about 20 of the 25 chapters, so I was pretty close. I found great insight into the early church and my biggest take away is that we don't have a set of standard doctrine across the board. The church is based from revelation and can ...more
Chad King
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deep dive into Mormon doctrines, teachings, history and practices. The book has a definite academic feel to it and is not for someone wanting a high-level overview of the faith, but it's an excellent resource if you want to understand what makes Mormonism different from other religions and where the similarities exist. Givens does a fine job of describing the major (and some of the minor) doctrines of the LDS faith, and tracing their introduction and evolution through the years.

If you're new to
« previous 1 3 next »

• Planted: Belief and Belonging in an Age of Doubt
  • The Christ Who Heals: How God Restored the Truth That Saves Us
  • The Standard of Truth: 1815–1846 (Saints, #1)
  • Grace Is Not God's Backup Plan: An Urgent Paraphrase of Paul's Letter to the Romans
  • Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling
  • The Bed of Procrustes: Philosophical and Practical Aphorisms
  • That We May Be One: A Gay Mormon’s Perspective on Faith & Family
  • The Next Mormons: How Millennials Are Changing the LDS Church
  • Brave Companions: Portraits in History
  • Walking
  • Self-Reliance
  • The Fast Metabolism Diet: Lose 20 Pounds in 4 Weeks and Keep It Off Forever by Unleashing Your Body's Natural Fat-Burning Power
  • Landmark: The Inside Story of America's New Health-Care Law and What It Means for Us All
  • Time Warrior: How to defeat procrastination, people-pleasing, self-doubt, over-commitment, broken promises and Chaos
  • The Bible Tells Me So: Why Defending Scripture Has Made Us Unable to Read It
  • Civil Disobedience
  • The Idea of the Holy
  • The God Who Risks: A Theology of Divine Providence
Terryl L. Givens was born in upstate New York, raised in the American southwest, and did his graduate work in Intellectual History (Cornell) and Comparative Literature (Ph.D. UNC Chapel Hill, 1988), working with Greek, German, Spanish, Portuguese, and English languages and literatures. As Professor of Literature and Religion, and the James A. Bostwick Professor of English at the University of ...more

Foundations of Mormon Thought and Practice (2 books)
  • Feeding the Flock: The Foundations of Mormon Thought: Church and Praxis
“Catholics espouse papal infallibility, but no Catholic believes in it. Joseph Smith espoused prophetic fallibility, but no Mormon believes in it.” 1 likes
“Of Sir Isaac Newton’s momentous decipherment of the laws of the universe, the French scientist Pierre-Simon de Laplace famously told Napoleon, in his philosophical euphoria, that he no longer had need of God to make sense of creation. Secular science could henceforth exile God from his universe. In Joseph Smith’s conception, by contrast, naturalism and God co-exist.” 0 likes