Start by marking “The Fourth Sage (The Circularity Saga #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fourth Sage (The Circularity Saga #1)

The Fourth Sage

(The Circularity Saga #1)

Fifteen-year-old Aries Egan lives in one of five super high rises in a nameless city. There is no government. There are no schools. People are controlled by a ruthless Corporation. Any deviation from the Moral Code, the code of living set forth by the Corporation, is punished - sometimes with prison, sometimes with torture, sometimes with death.

Aries hacks into the main
Paperback, 1st Edition, 414 pages
Published June 15th 2014 by Beacon Books Publishing (first published June 12th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Fourth Sage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fourth Sage

Start your review of The Fourth Sage (The Circularity Saga #1)
Kimberly
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Stefan Bolz's unique writing style and otherworldly vision propels us into a world of brightly-lit characters and epic (although in this case sometimes bleak) panoramas.

Meet our heroine Aries, a young lady who is not quite fitting in to the dystopian world she finds herself in. She's different, a round peg being ground into the square hole The Corporation insists every member of its society fit in. Her problems, and her freedom, begin when The Corporation realizes this.

This is a
Colette Chadwick
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hiding from the Corporate is no small feat, but Aries is a clever girl. She found a way to get a free hour every day. She explores the air ducts during that time and finds something unexpected. As Aries yearns for freedom the story explodes into this fantastic adventure of not only risk and sacrifice, but also bravery, love and friendship. With exciting twists and turns as the group finds their way from the grasp of Corporate.

It is very well written and the images the author puts forth are
Kelly
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Fourth Sage is a filled with adventure, suspense, and self realization. The characters are believable and very real. Each possessing their own unique gifts and fighting their own personal fears and battles. Together they embark on a journey that forces them to rely and trust each other, and most importantly, to have faith in themselves. Aries strong spirit and honest soul drew me in immediately. I thoroughly enjoyed traveling with her throughout this adventure.
Ali Hammond
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I freaking loved it!!!! This has to be a movie. There was far too much detail and visual stunningness (don't know if that's a word but it is now) that just leapt off the pages. This book was a spectacular adventure and an epic love story among human beings. Not the kind of love story between 2 people, but the kind between humanity. It was beautiful Stefan, beautiful. Thank you for allowing me to read this before it was published. I feel truly honored.
Jenn Penn
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you liked Divergent, you'll love The Fourth Sage. It's a unique coming of age/self realization story unlike anything you've read before. Aries is a wonderful character to get to know, love and root for throughout her struggles in a dystopian society. I can't wait to see the movie (which just must be made!) and I can't wait to read Aries and her friends' further adventures. I highly recommend this book!
Leslie
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Watch out Suzanne Collins and Veronica Roth, here comes Stefan Bolz. This is a fantastic adventure with a young girl, Aries, who you will love like a little sister as she navigates her world. Travel with Aries into the bowels of the "Corporation" as she discovers who she is, and what she is fighting for. I highly recommend The Fourth Sage.
Heather
Great book. Took me a little bit to get into it but before i knew it i couldn't put it down and was staying up late at night to see what happened next. I was a bit amazed at how quickly it gripped me and it was done with out my conscience thought. Was happy i won this book in a giveaway and can't wait to read the next one
Lina Gingold fd berg
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous fast paced story of Aries, that really strikes a cord at this day and age. You get sucked in from the very beginning and can't put it down, as you get to know all the characters while they are trying to save themselves and each other. Highly, highly recommend it!
Rick
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Aries rises! From page one the reader is hurtled head-long into an intense and dangerous world. Bolz makes us root for his precocious protagonist effortlessly, as we become involved in her dire mission to fight against a world she never made. Fast-paced and stylish...I highly recommend it!
Mati
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Fourth Sage is a book that takes its own twist on familiar genres. A splash of super powers, dystopia, and fantasy, I found it engaging from the start. Aries is a character who is easy to like, and her plight is unique but not unrelatable. As she struggled to maintain a sense of freedom and identity in a world focused on duty, it wasn't hard to root for her.

The plot was interesting, and I was never quite sure
Will Swardstrom
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Earlier this year, I read Stefan Bolz's previous book, The Three Feathers. I thought it was outstanding with a unique voice in a sea of books with generic personalities and stock plots. With The Fourth Sage, Stefan has proved that he is not a one-trick pony and has continued his specific brand of writing to a futuristic world inhabited by Aries and her friends.
In The Three Feathers, Bolz really put a lot of emphasis on fate and destiny to go along with a heavy dose of supernatural and
Jacqueline Dooley
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was privileged to get an early copy of the book prior to its official release date. I fell in love with Aries from the start - she's a solid, engaging heroine who is extremely compassionate. While this is clearly a dystopian science fiction book akin with novels such as Divergent and Hunger Games (in that there is a very controlling government/ruling party, advanced technology and a population of people that are oppressed), there are elements of fantasy as well as a compelling mystery that ...more
Amy
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reading
I am a very visual person and if I can't picture the world that the book is taking place in, it's tough for me to stick with it. This book had many complex settings that were depicted clearly and beautifully. It was so easy to see all of the action going on. I started rooting for the characters pretty much right from the start and even though their challenges were great, I never once questioned the believeability of how they managed to survive each situation. It was very engrossing with timely ...more
Kate
May 30, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pros:
It was cheap and it had good reviews. The idea behind the story intrigued me. Teenagers rebelling against a dystopian society is one of my favorite themes. But alas....

Cons:
I was extremely disappointed with the execution of the story. It had such potential, but it moved so slowly and the characters were so boringly simple that I couldn't continue reading it. I stopped about halfway through (very rare for me). The story is told in the present tense which is confusing and disorienting, and
Molly
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book is amazing. So many characters to get to know and love. Aries is a stupendous and relatable heroine. And her companions all have these qualities to make them unique. I cannot wait to read the next books to get to know them better.

And, even aside from the wonderful characters, this plot is so fascinating. There are so many levels to it that it lends itself to more than one read. Every time you think you understand how the world works, something shifts and you realize it's all much
Colby
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic adventure from Bolz, who has rapidly risen into the short list of my favorite authors. I have a feeling that we have barely scratched the surface of Aries' journey, and of what Bolz's imagination has in store for us. Part dystopia, part SciFi, and 100% awesome, The Fourth Sage kept me entertained front to back, and I heartily recommend it to all.
Bittersweet BookReviews
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Fourth Sage is a unique coming of age story unlike others out there. Bolz has a unique writing style unlike most I have read. He paints a picture with words that lets our imagination take over. The characters are amazing and easy to find yourself rooting for. I after reading this story, I'm excited about forth coming books from Bolz. Well done! If you not read this you should!
Lucy
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dominic
Jun 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
rating

THE GOOD: Female teenager living in a world controlled by an evil corporation attempts to escape the hands of tyranny and suppression by banding with a team of like-minded individuals and leading them to freedom. It is an interesting premise.

THE BAD: This coming-of-age novel feels very much aimed at a young audience. Story mostly takes place in maintenance shafts, elevators, and air ducts inside a giant evil building which makes for a very bland setting.

THE UGLY: (view spoiler)
Tracie
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spectacular

This book drew me into it's world from the very first page. It had me on the edge of my seat and kept me up way too late. It's not often I read a book where the I have bonded with the characters so strongly I am thinking about them long after the book is done. Really looking forward to the next one.
Eamon Ambrose
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In a world becoming oversaturated with dystopian YA tales all vying for the hard-earned money of beleaguered parents and desperate to grab the attention of movie producers to become the Next Big Thing, it’s easy to become cynical about the genre. It’s become tired and formulaic and other than a few mainstream successes like The Hunger Games and Divergent (which quite frankly to me were tired and formulaic also, but I’m not a teen so what do I know?) there has been little new to the table of ...more
Heathery
I received a copy of this book in exchange for review.

Although you can't tell until the last 20% of the book, this is actually a pretty original premise. The first 80% seems like the standard YA dystopian society--distant future, evil corporation controlling everyone, etc. However, with this book, there's another factor. I can't even really say anything about it without spoiling a bunch of stuff. All I can say is that toppling the evil corporation regime, while definitely part of the plot, is
Joy
Aug 10, 2014 added it
Copy provided for review.
Reviewed by Joy for Crystal's Many Reviewers

The Fourth Sage is described as a dystopian tale. The book is much more than a dystopian tale it’s an epic fantasy journey where sci-fi futuristic technology meets the ancient lost world of the supernatural and metaphysical. It’s a great young adult book for a new generation of fantasy readers. It’s easy to see while reading the book how Stefan Bolz was influenced by Tolkien and other fantasy genres.

The story details the
Rebecca Foster
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
The environment Bolz created was absolutely stifling. This was a vast city in which the inhabitants have no free choice. There is the semblance of choice, but nothing more. People are reasonably content with that, though, because that's all they've really ever known.

Cameras are everywhere: hallways, bedrooms, common areas... everywhere. The Corporation is watching at all times. Anything construed as veering from the norm, even the smallest gesture, is flagged.

A red flag action is cause for
Rob McClellan
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bottom Line Up Front: I greatly enjoyed The Fourth Sage by Stefan Bolz. Well written, well plotted, with a surprise ending.

The Fourth Sage is a YA Dystopian tale and at the beginning appears to be a fairly typical one, though quite well written. However, once it gets rolling, you can see that the author has much more in store for his characters — and us readers! — than the standard fare.

The world that Stefan has crafted is, in my opinion both well crafted and utterly horrible — I would never
Cmoore
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A girl, Aries and a hawk, Born-of-Night have a telepathic link. This is my awesome-sauce! It is a little reminiscent of Andre Norton's Beast Master or even Anne McCaffrey's Harperhall series, with a touch of Hugh Howey's Wool thrown in for spice...

A girl living in a company controlled tower is stealing one hour for herself nightly. By doing so she finds trouble in the form of hawk, gets a mission and makes a friend.

If you haven't read this yet, why not? It's so good. Get it for yourself, but
Leslie
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brenda
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. Can't wait to see where the series goes
T. Jackson
Really great story. Loved the characters.
Sue Holmes
Jun 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF

• The Everlasting Rose (The Belles, #2)
  • The Testing (The Testing, #1)
  • Independent Study (The Testing, #2)
  • Full Throttle
  • Graduation Day (The Testing, #3)
  • Good Me, Bad Me
  • Legion (Talon, #4)
  • Inferno (Talon, #5)
  • Iron Garland (Harbinger #3)
  • Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1)
  • From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
  • The Culling Trials (Shadowspell Academy, #1)
  • Ship of Magic (Liveship Traders, #1)
  • The Frog Princess
  • The Girl of Ink and Stars
  • Magic Kingdom for Sale/Sold (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1)
  • In the Footsteps of the Prophet: Lessons from the Life of Muhammad
  • The Swallow: A Ghost Story
Born and raised in the Main River Valley in Germany, Stefan came to the U.S. in 1996 where he settled in upstate New York. He grew up on German poetry, soccer, Nutella, and American music. His love of writing began to surface in 1999 (yes, he was thinking about the Prince song while he wrote this sentence). He studied screen writing for five years during which time he wrote a bunch of scripts (one ...more