Start by marking “Healing from Trauma: A Survivor's Guide to Understanding Your Symptoms and Reclaiming Your Life” as Want to Read:

Psychotherapist and trauma survivor Jasmin Lee Cori offers new insight into trauma-related difficulties (including PTSD, depression, substance abuse), provides self-care tools, candor about therapy and medications, and addresses spiritual issues.

While there are many different approaches to healing trauma, few offer a wide range of perspectives and options. With innovative
Published January 8th 2008 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published January 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Healing from Trauma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing from Trauma

Start your review of Healing from Trauma: A Survivor's Guide to Understanding Your Symptoms and Reclaiming Your Life
d
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
This is a really good first book to read if you have PTSD (or suspect you do). The author writes clearly and succinctly, so it's easy to understand even if you have attention problems. There are no detailed accounts of traumatic events, so it is less triggering than other books on trauma. The exercises come in the form of self quizzes, which are short, helpful, and powerful (I have had to be careful not to overwhelm myself answering some of the questions, but there is a lot in the book about pac ...more
Bridgett
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
I loved this book. I related very well to most of the material covered and it reminded me of some things I learned in therapy. The exercises in the book were great.
Carla Sofia Sofia
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay so I didn't find all of it helpful, but still giving it 5 stars bc it was THE most helpful book on trauma and healing that I have ever read. It never felt like Cori was wasting the reader's time by overexplaining a point. The book is thorough and covers a wide range of topics relevant to trauma while being concise and providing actionable steps. As someone recovering from trauma, I have read so many self help books: too many dwell in the abstract or in contrast, spend too much time on the s ...more
Michelle Sebly
Jul 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Trauma Survivors
Excellent book.

Very user-friendly.

Approaches the subject from a very unique perspective.

Author may be Pagan, not sure?

Very empowering in that it ... shows the trauma survivor they are not alone in their symptoms, feelings, or perceived handicaps.

Empowering in that ... it gives the survivor TOOLS ... to assist in working through the very specific challenges a trauma survivor experiences.

Anyone who feels as though they can't get past something difficult or traumatic in their lives, should read
Diana
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up for work and really think it's great, both for its gentle tone and practical advice. I recommend it to many people as an easy-to-understand introduction to the topic of trauma, especially for people who may have experienced it and don't have the context to understand their experience. As a bonus, it's nice that it's generally non-triggering for survivors, but it is clear that she knows her subject well.
Janey Skinner
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had read most of this book before, as I use it in a class, but there was a chapter or two that I don't assign and hadn't read.... now I have. It's a useful book for survivors, with practical suggestions for supporting one's healing, using diverse approaches - from psychotherapy to somatics to journaling to spiritual practices. It works well for my students, too - very approachable language.
Puffling
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THANK YOU for writing a book about trauma that doesn't revolve around detailed triggering stories! This book is practical, detailed, and helpful. Good starting point if you're having frequent emotional flashbacks.
julia
Nov 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Holistic and down to earth.
Roozbeh Daneshvar
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Do you have some bad memories from the past that you still remember the scene vividly and those memories are capable of triggering you even now, many many years, even decades, later?

If yes, this might be a sign of a trauma in the past that has left the traces up until now. This book talks about traumas and how they leave their imprint on us. The impact is not only mental, but can also be physiological, too.

The book steers away from depicting any troubling images and maintains a neutral tone thro
Hannah Gautreau
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Provides a ton of practical advice for dealing with trauma and moving forward in life. I especially like the in chapter exercises that come with the book. It forces you to stop and think through your issues, and it let me do a TON of unpacking. Every trauma survivor should read this book.
Soniuca
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved the 10 points to remember after lecturing all the chapter. Author made it easy for me to understand the language of the book (even where there were scientific parts)
Nice!:) thank you
Susanne
Oct 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
“archived items”
Kaleigh
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thorough description of symptoms, therapies, and helpful questions to take to providers (which are useful for symptoms not originating from trauma, as well).
Angie Bates
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
10 stars, highest recommendation possible!!!!!
Jihan Hasan
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book. Great for understanding your symptoms.
Elizabeth
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
The author covers the whole topic quite well. She covers the cause, the effect and solutions. Topics are presented in an easy to read and understand language. She also offers a list of pondering questions to get you started assessing your life, if that's the reason you are reading. End of each chapter has a 10 point summary, which reinforces the key points and also helps you revisit those if needed.

I was a bit amazed on how non-biased and true to the cause the author is. She doesn't try to push
Caitlin
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a good read for (in my opinion) anybody who's lived as a person in society. If you haven't had any "big T" traumas, or what people often think of when they think of trauma as near death experience, war or assault, I'd still recommend it for "little t" traumas that pretty much every human experiences. Otherwise I thought it could have used a bit of elaboration on the point of boundaries, since that is so crucial to anyone who's had abuse/assault experiences, but there's always something.
Tom Britz
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great overview of what exactly trauma is and how it effects those that have it. I felt overwhelmed at times reading this and would have to put the book down and do something else as my heart would begin pounding and my thoughts were flying everywhere at once, it seemed. I no longer have any doubts that I have PTSD. But until I get some kind of health coverage for it I am stuck going it alone.
Stephani Jahn
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Less science-y option than The Body Keeps The Score for people looking to learn about healing their trauma. It has fewer stories of trauma (which can be triggering), and more reflection prompts. TBKTS is important and a fantastic book, but I recommend this one a little more often to my therapy clients. Cori has a warmth to her writing.
G. LPC
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book has unlocked so many truths for me as a survivor of child sexual abuse. I am forever grateful to the author for this book. What a huge tool for me in my own recovery journey, and for others. Thank you, Jasmin Lee Cori
Rachel Jones
Mar 07, 2008 rated it liked it
I've read a lot of books about trauma over the years. This one is pretty new, and includes a lot of the latest theories and therapies out there. I learned some things...even if her language does get a bit woo-woo at times.
Cunderhi1
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 6-18-13
amazing book. Explained a lot and helped me understand.
Louise
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A clearly-written and practical book filled with empathy and hope.
J.A. McNeil
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent for those seeking to heal without weighted wording and pyscho-babble.
Jenny H.
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
insightful, and eye-opening. Very thoughtfully written, and encouraging.
Catherine
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a really good guidebook to working through trauma.
GrayPyre
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
  • Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life
  • Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents
  • Healing the Fragmented Selves of Trauma Survivors: Overcoming Internal Self-Alienation
  • Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
  • It Didn't Start with You: How Inherited Family Trauma Shapes Who We Are and How to End the Cycle
  • Emotional Sobriety: From Relationship Trauma to Resilience and Balance
  • The Psychedelic Explorer's Guide: Safe, Therapeutic, and Sacred Journeys
  • Learn Drop Stitch Crochet
  • The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms
  • Freedom from Self-harm: Overcoming Self-Injury with Skills from DBT and Other Treatments
  • Exciting Times
  • Intended for Evil: A Survivor's Story of Love, Faith, and Courage in the Cambodian Killing Fields
  • Kensuke's Kingdom
  • Inward
  • How to Love Your Elf (Embraced by Magic, #1; The Embraced, #4)
  • Running with Sherman
  • Men Cry in the Dark
Jasmin Lee Cori, MS, LPC, is a licensed psychotherapist who specializes in working with adults who experienced childhood abuse and neglect. She has worked in human service agencies and private practice, and taught psychology in colleges and professional schools. She is the author of numerous articles and five books, including Healing From Trauma.

News & Interviews

“When you feel that you aren’t like everyone else or feel tainted by what has happened to you, it’s hard to be optimistic about the future. In fact, for many survivors, it’s nearly impossible to imagine the future at all. Many of us are caught in a state where we’re still just trying to survive (our sole focus during trauma) and can’t think much beyond that. Time for us is frozen and the future feels hazy at best.” 4 likes
“Breaking free of limiting beliefs is like breaking the chains that bind you.” 1 likes