Start by marking “Yamada Monogatari: To Break the Demon Gate” as Want to Read:
Yamada Monogatari: To Break the Demon Gate

Yamada Monogatari: To Break the Demon Gate

(Yamada Monogatari)

Yamada no Goji is a minor nobleman of ancient Japan who has lost everything -- except a single purpose: keep a promise to the woman he loved. In order to fulfill his vow, all he has to do is fight a horde of demons and monsters, bargain with a few ghosts, outwit the sinister schemers of the emperor's court, find a way to defeat an assassin who cannot be seen, heard, or ...more
Published November 11th 2014 by Prime Books

To ask other readers questions about Yamada Monogatari, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yamada Monogatari

Start your review of Yamada Monogatari: To Break the Demon Gate
Karl
Jan 06, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is copy 61 of 100 signed and numbered copies, signed by Richard Parks.
Adriel Hartnett
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loooove his writing style so much !
Free_dreamer
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was an enjoyable mix of historical novel (Kyoto in the 10th or 11th century), crime (mysterious deaths) and Japanese mythology (demons, ghosts, will-o'-wisps and many more).

When I read the blurb, I knew I had to have this book. I'm a huge fan of Japan and I love fantasy novels that aren't set in the Western world. And I was not disappointed by this book.

Yamada is not exactly your average fantasy hero. He's very fond of sake, only works when he needs to pay the rent and has some rather
Prashant
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
was bit disappointed in the beginning cause this book was not filled with short stories like its predecessor but was a big single story. But, now that i have finished the book, i have no regrets and infact i even enjoyed the book more than the previous one. Good work.
Alexander Páez
Oct 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasía, nihon
Abandonado a la mitad. Menudo truño. Y mira que lo sabía, que iba a ser malo, pero ya que en NetGalley me ofrecieron el ejemplar...

Nunca más.
Steve Shepherd
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I keep wanting to like the Yamada Monogatari series but there's just something off about it. After the first book both intrigued and bored me, I probably should have expected what I got out of the second one.

To Break the Demon Gate, like Demon Hunter is set in a monster-haunted early feudal period of Japan. Ghosts do not rest easy, demons abound, and humans get mixed up in their otherworldly games. It has some basis in history, so if you know your Heian period Japanese clans, Minamoto, Taira,
Robert D
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this is Mr. Parks first endeavor at a full length novel. It starts off by repeating word for word one of the longer short stories in his first book (the first book was a collection of short stories). It's needed because the information in that story is central to the whole plot of the book.

It takes place in the Heian period (7941185) of Japan. This is a mythic time, when demons, ogres, oni, ghosts, and the like are intertwined in the lives of the story. Combined with some aspects of
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
While the story was still good, I was disappointed to see that it was mostly an expansion of the short story "Moon Viewing at Shijo Bridge" from the previous novel Demon Hunter. The book begins with the story and ends with it. I also felt as though the author was just repeating a lot of what was established in Demon Hunter. There wasn't a lot of new information regarding the characters. Yamada no Goji was still a Sherlock Holmes - esque with a pension for drinking and self-loathing. Adachi no ...more
Laurie
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great book. Lord Yamada is a minor nobleman in ancient Japan. He talks to ghosts and fights demons while trying to protect his loved ones and the city he lives in. This book combines many ancient Japanese mythologies and creates a wonderful story of magic and lore.
Ian
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
As with the previous one I got this for free in a grab bag of books for backing a Kickstarter.
Aelvana
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yamada no Goji is a minor nobleman with a keen mind and a tolerable blade, but he has little influence at court. So when the conspiracies of the nobility reach out to ensnare him again, he's reluctant to get involved. But for the sake of an old friend, he agrees---and finds himself confronted by a silent killer who is leaving dead bodies around the city. If he can't solve the mystery fast enough, he's bound to lose more of the few people dear to him.

I'm reading these incredibly out of order, I
Koeur
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it

Publisher: Prime

Publishing Date: December 2014

ISBN: 9781607014355

Genre: Fantasy

Rating: 3.6/5

Publisher Description: Yamada no Goji is a minor nobleman of ancient Japan who has lost everything except a single purpose: keep a promise to the woman he loved. In order to fulfill his vow, all he has to do is fight a horde of demons and monsters, bargain with a few ghosts, outwit the sinister schemers of the emperors court, find a way to defeat an assassin who
Matthew
Nov 18, 2014 rated it liked it
I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Blurb -

In order to fulfill his vow, all he has to do is fight a horde of demons and monsters, bargain with a few ghosts, outwit the sinister schemers of the emperors court, find a way to defeat an assassin who cannot be seen, heard, or touched and change the course of history.

Raven Stromdans
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Although I truly enjoyed Parks' previous work with Yamada no Goji, I was a bit disappointed by his first outing in a full novel. Building off of one of the short stories in the anthology of Yamada-san's adventures, this story again expands upon Yamada's background and plays heavily against his personal investment into the Imperial court that he wisely tries to avoid but seems continually dragged back to by his allies and enemies therein in equal measure.

I did enjoy the story, mostly because I
Daniel
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well I lost this book, found it the other day, and finished it. This was a great Chinese fantasy novel and a joy to read. The characters are strong and deep, and there is just enough to drag you into the intrigue. There are a couple of moments that you don't expect, which blindside you.
There is a lot to take in here. I believe there are more in this line, and I will definitely seek them out.

Danny
Ben Rowe
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very satisfying expansion of a Yamada story into a novel. I am a big fan of Parks' short fiction in general and the Yamada stories in particular so I was eagerly awaiting this one and actually preordered it.

I very much enjoyed reading it and whilst I didnt love the novel as much as the short stories I still thought it was a very satisfying tale and I look forward to reading the next novel in the series in due course.

Ginny
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, fantasy, fiction
Not as strong as the earlier book in the series. This installment is a full-fledged novel rather than a collection of related short stories, as in the previous installment. The author seems to do better with the short story format. The plot has the feel of a short story dragged out, though I still enjoyed the characters and setting.
Roy
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have become a fan of Richard Parks and greatly enjoy his Yamada series. Set in Heian Japan with all the supernatural elements one could want from that period, the stories read a little like court intrigue, part supernatural, and part crime mystery. Very enjoyable. This book unlike others I have read is a single novel instead of short stories.
Melanie Clemmer
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
"In the early evening a tiny moth-demon was trying to batter its way into my room through a tear in the paper screen, no doubt attracted by the scent of poverty."

And so Richard Parks drew me into this novel. An interesting twist on the paranormal private investigator trope, this time set in Japan's Heian period. Fans's of the Jim Butcher/Harry Dresden style of wit will appreciate this book.
Sean
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Received copy from Netgalley for review.

Quite a good story,a little bit hard to get into, especially all about the history and ghosts.But overall a good read
Saint Lart
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this so much I went directly to the BN near work to get others by him... Alas none. But I do see a new book with the same character coming out this year. Looking forward to it!
Mads Johnson
John
Feb 05, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Night Parade of One Hundred Demons: A Field Guide to Japanese Yokai
  • Stormdancer (The Lotus Wars, #1)
  • Zen: The Art of Simple Living
  • Whit
  • River Out of Eden: A Darwinian View of Life
  • The End of Eternity
  • Strange Light Afar: Tales of the Supernatural from Old Japan
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
  • Toshiden: Exploring Japanese Urban Legends: Volume Two
  • Kowabana: 'True' Japanese scary stories from around the internet: Volume Six
  • Reikan: The most haunted locations in Japan: Volume One
  • Kowabana Collection: Vol. 1-5
  • A Study in Treason (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries #2)
  • Toshiden: Exploring Japanese Urban Legends Vol. 1
  • The Disappearance of Alistair Ainsworth (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries #3)
  • The Ninja's Daughter (Shinobi Mystery, #4)
  • The Shogun's Daughter (Sano Ichiro, #17)
  • Betrayal at Iga (Shinobi Mystery #5)
I write mostly fantasy, both short stories and novels. My third short story collection, On the Banks of the River of Heaven was published in November, 2010. My second novella with PS Publishing, The Heavenly Fox, was released in early 2011. I've been a finalist for both the World Fantasy Award and the Mythopoeic Award for Adult Literature.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the

Yamada Monogatari (4 books)
  • Yamada Monogatari: Demon Hunter