Start by marking “Zombies: More Recent Dead” as Want to Read:
Zombies: More Recent Dead

Zombies: More Recent Dead

The living dead are more alive than ever! Zombies have become more than an iconic monster for the 21st century: They are now a phenomenon constantly revealing as much about ourselves - and our fascination with death, resurrection, and survival - as our love for the supernatural or post-apocalyptic speculation. Our most imaginative literary minds have been devoured by these ...more
Published September 2nd 2014 by Prime Books (first published August 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Zombies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombies

Althea Ann
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
More zombie stories here than you can shake a gnawed leg bone at. Every zombie fan is bound to find something to their taste here. Let this anthology entertain your braaaiiinnns.....

**** Matthew Johnson, “The Afflicted”
Well, we're looking for zombies here, and this is a very good zombie story. Here, the elderly persons who were first infested with the zombie virus were packed off to FEMA quarantine camps - along with the healthy care workers assigned to look after them. To stay alive, one nurse
G.G.
First, I want to say that I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. No review asked in exchange.

This is a hard book to review. I'm not used to reading short stories, and even less used to review them.

1- The Afflicted by Matthew Johnson: This one is different kind of zombie book where, as people grow old, they lose their memory and slowly turn. I won't say more because of spoilers but it delivers and was a great choice for opener. (4*)

2- Dead Song by Jay Wilburn: While well written, it didn't keep
Yzabel Ginsberg
(I got a copy through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

Anthologies are always difficult for me to rate—so many different stories, so many authors, and you know you're bound to find very good pieces, and some you don't like at all. As far as collections go, this one about zombies was a fairly good one, all in all, that I would rate a 3.5 to 4 stars.

(Also, the time I spend reading a book is usually a good indicator of my interest in it, but in this case, it doesn't apply. I was reading
Dana
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it

Overall I found this anthology to be a diverse collection of all things zombie, the quality was a little rocky at times, but the great stories squirreled away in this tome made it all worth reading. 3.5/5

See tag for more details.

(view spoiler)
Bogdan
Very, very good Anthology about zombies. I was surprise to see that I didn`t read the first Anthology in this serie, with bigger names on it`s cover, but this one was very good, too.

The stories that I`ve liked are:

Mike Carey - Iphigenia in Aulis, The story that started the novel, The girl with all the gifts.

Shira Lipkin - Becca at the End of the World, The last hour of a daughter that will transform in to a zombie in front of her mother.

Maureen F. McHugh - The Naturalist, About a inmate in a re
Roberto Martinez
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying I am a huge zombie film fan. Zombie books, I've read a couple of them but I am not an expert. I really like the intro to the anthology explaining the history of zombies and the impact they've had on television, film, and literature. I found some of the stories to be very engaging, yet disturbing and strange, while others seemed to miss something. For what it is, I very much enjoyed it.
Fangs for the Fantasy
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
My first impression of this book: 36? Thirty-six? That’s a vast amount of stories for an anthology! Even 20 would have been pretty big

My second impression: No, really, 36? Seriously?

My third impression: wait, 36 stories and it’s only 480 pages long? How does that work?

Simply, a lot of it doesn’t – we have some frankly weird, surreal, barely related and generally random filler fluff pieces some of which defy me even commenting on them because I have no idea why they’re there other than to pad an
Andrea
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the best zombie anthologies I’ve read—some really good stories here and only a few duds.
Disa Marnesdottr
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A solid collection with some outstanding moments. Some very nice stuff.
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read this twice now, and honestly the stories are really fantastic. It ranges from brief poetry to long 'short story' formats, and the broadest definitions of Zombies, which is very refreshing! I have really enjoyed it, it's very rare for me to read any book twice, in fact, which is always proof it's worth just diving into and... yes... devouring. ;)
Andreas Strom
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Quite a few good stories to be found here. Standouts include Jonathan Maberry (the main reason I wanted to read this), Shira Lipkin, Carrie Ryan, Ron Goulart, Nicole Kornher-Stace and a short, funny story by Neil Gaiman.
Unfortunately, the whole thing ends on a really, really boring story from Charles Stross. Horribly written - it's almost like a lecture, complete with complex, unneccessary descriptions of technical stuff. Sooooooo boring.
All in all a nice little package though.
Christopher Thomasson
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love a story that takes me away and sucks me in to it's world. This book, this collection of stories, did that to me on numerous occasions. The only disappointment I suffered with this book is that so many of my favorite stories ended too soon! I was so drawn in that I didn't want them to end. I highly recommend this book to any zombie enthusiast.
Grigory Lukin
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it
"Zombies: More Recent Dead," edited by Paula Guran, is yet another anthology of short stories featuring the walking dead. While it features a few excellent stories, a lot of the stories are random musings on life, the universe and everything, with a zombie or two thrown in for flavor. While a short story anthology can usually get away with a few stories that aren't quite related to the subject at hand, at some point the balance gets disrupted.

This is just a guess, but the editor might have delib
Brian Palmer
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthology, 2018, zombies
A great anthology, both mixing it up in style and subject, with a number of really good to great works. (There were a handful of stories that I either skipped or didn't enjoy, but they were dwarfed, dwarfed by the rest of the stories).

The stories ranged from stories about Dawn of the Dead style, classic "zombies"; voodoo mind-controlled zombies; stories where zombies show up as just one of many odd events; and even a few science fiction stories (such as a short story by Charles Stross set in hi
Janis
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of various zombie stories - several of which a new a new twist on an old genre. My favorites include: its not Alzehmers, its a zombie virus that grandma has, being saved by your flu vaccination ( ha all you anti-vaccers) and even androids can have zombie problems. Enjoy!
Cleo Harper
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a whole, this is an excellent collection of stories and some amazing authors contributed to it (ie Roxane Gay, Neil Gaiman, Mike Carey, etc). I liked some stories better than others, but enjoyed the bind up!
Adafrog
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some really great stories in here.
Carrie Slager
[Full disclosure: I requested and received a free ebook through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.]

I’ve been suffering from a severe case of Walking Dead withdrawal for a few months, so I figured that I might as well get back into that zombie kind of mood with a new anthology from some well-known authors. Jonathon Maberry, Neil Gaiman and so many more authors that I actually like were included in this anthology. Where could it go wrong?

Apparently, almost everywhere. This is a non-tradit
Shay VanZwoll
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Zombies have been increasingly popular the past few years, but stories and myths of zombies (or zombis) have been around for even longer. From Romeroesque zombies to radioactive robots, with everything in between, this is a great collection of everything zombie.

And by everything, I mean EVERYTHING. Thirty six short stories are available within this collection. There are poems about zombies, stories about voodoo zombis, extra-short short stories, and longer short stories. Charles Stross brings wi
Kel Munger
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
In genre fiction—especially science fiction and horror—the best way to keep up with what’s good (unless you’re willing to go broke on magazine subscriptions) is to pick up anthologies. The short story remains the most vibrant form here, and these two anthologies from Prime Books—both edited by Paula Guran—offer up some excellent new work.

The key to these collections is that the stories are mined from the last decade, which means they’ve all got the bells and whistles of the very recent past. ...
Paige
Oct 02, 2014 rated it liked it
If you’re a fan of books about zombies then you’re sure to find something you like in this book. It is a collection of short zombie stories, and a couple of poems.

When I started reading this book I expected it to be a collection of typical post-apocalypse zombie books (which quite honestly I wouldn’t have minded). As it turns out the stories are very diverse, from the typical zombie story, to ones which were more reflective on life. As with most collections of short stories the quality of the s
Melek
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it
For a 480-page book, this took A LOT to read.

This book was a combination of a few wonderful stories, some that fell between great and okay, lots of really boring or badly written ones (some of those made me regret ever deciding to read this book, if I'm being fair) and a story that was too boring that I couldn't even see the end of, all equaling to 37 stories if I'm not wrong. I don't think I am.

While there are some stories that I can go back and read again, or some writers I will go searching f
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
This is probably the closest thing to a proper review that I'll do for this book.

My Thoughts: Despite some of the big names of the genre being included in this Anthology it was simply put, boring. Yes, the book has a lot of stories but ultimately I think that was its downfall. The stories I actually liked, What Once We Feared by Carrie Ryan, The Afflicted by Mathew Johnson and What Maise Knew by David Liss were a highlight for sure but considering this anthology has over 35 stories only really
Kaycee
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
This one was a mixed bag for me. I really loved a handful, did not enjoy quite a few, and the rest were somewhere in the middle. There was more than once where I felt two (or even three) stories were quite similar in premise, and the collection could have done with one of the stories as opposed to both. I think it would have been a stronger anthology, and more enjoyable read, if the story selection had been condensed. Still, there were enough stories that I loved to have made it worth picking up ...more
Heather Brown
Oct 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: horror enthusiasts
400+ pages of Zombie short stories and poems. Quite a mixed bag of zombie stories! Roxane Gay's "No E in Zombi" is a traditional voodoo-style zombie and pretty creepy, but not as creepy as Michael A Arnzo's poem " Rigormarole". " Becca at the End of the World" by Shira Lipkin almost made me cry. What mom wouldn't do anything for their child? Even if they are a zombie. Neil Gaiman's amusing poem is also a scathing attack on today's society.
Samantha
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I am about halfway though this book and I'm not that impressed with it. Although there were a few of the stories I really enjoyed to read, most of them I did not enjoy. I completely skipped a few of them because I did not like them at all. The best part of this book was the different theories the different authors had about what makes a zombie.
I will continuously update this as I go through the book.
Nov 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this anthology, especially with all the great young authors writing zombie fiction lately. What I got was a descent effort that falls short of greatness. Some of the stories were reprints and too many of the stories are "different" so that they seem to miss the point of why we love zombies in the first place. I'm not saying it's a bad book but it should come with a warning label.
Nov 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Scott
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scanned
This collection has a good selection of stories in zombies and zombie-like creatures. Everyone should find some they are interested in. I found 3-4 stories that were excellent and most were good. There were several I considered not finishing, but since the stories are, at most, 15-20 pages long, the investment in even the worst stories is not too much.
Ray
Nov 10, 2014 added it
I found this to be an extremely mixed bag, some stories working very well for me and others leaving me cold. I put this down to personal taste, as all are well-written. As they say, your mileage may vary.

• The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy 2015 Edition
  • Tortured Souls: The Legend of Primordium
  • Sisters in Fantasy 2
  • Darlings of Decay
  • The Top of the Volcano: The Award-Winning Stories of Harlan Ellison
  • Best New Horror 24 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #24)
  • Steampunk III: Steampunk Revolution
  • Acolytes of Cthulhu
Paula Guran is senior editor for Prime Books. She edited the Juno fantasy imprint from its small press inception through its incarnation as an imprint of Pocket Books. She is also senior editor of Prime's soon-to-launch digital imprint Masque Books. Guran edits the annual Year's Best Dark Fantasy and Horror series as well as a growing number of other anthologies. In an earlier life she produced we ...more