Start by marking “The Day the Great Lakes Drained Away” as Want to Read:
The Day the Great Lakes Drained Away

The Day the Great Lakes Drained Away

What would happen if there was no water left in the Great Lakes? What would we find on our lake floors? With global warming and the receding waters in our lakes and water rights and protection so important for us, this important book teaches children in a fun way to respect and protect our Great Lakes.

Teach your children today the importance of our Great Lakes and they'll
Published March 1st 2005 by Mackinac Island Press

To ask other readers questions about The Day the Great Lakes Drained Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day the Great Lakes Drained Away

Paul  Hankins
Barker, a geologist, offers readers a look at the bottoms of the Great Lakes and makes an ecological statement about all of the "little pipes" being used to draw water from the Huron, the Ontario, the Michigan, the Erie, and the Superior (see, those elementary school units really did help this kid from northern Michigan). Colored pencil drawing meets verse to describe what might happen if the lakes were suddenly gone. What might we see at the bottom of the lakes? How would travel be affected? Wo ...more
Cindi
Jan 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Told in rhyme (though not terribly clever), this book tells us what it would be like under the great lakes if they all drained away. It also has a message about taking care of our water resources (which is more for adults than children). My kids all read this book before I read it aloud and I think that they really enjoyed it!
Sandy D.
The best part of this book are the illustrations of all the stuff under the Great Lakes. Something nice to have before you hit the beach at Saugatuck, Mackinac Island, Petosky, or Warren Dunes. Or Chicago, Toledo, or Buffalo, for that matter.
Tara
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-lakes
Too true
Kristin
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Rhyme didn't really flow most of the time. Story could be really interesting if presented in different way and targeting a slightly older audience.
Anna
Sep 20, 2016
Learn Be
Jan 22, 2012
Rebecca
rated it did not like it
Sep 22, 2017