Start by marking “The Cancer Olympics” as Want to Read:

The Cancer Olympics

National Indie Excellence Award Finalist (2016) for Cancer.

Pinnacle Book Achievement Award Winner (2016) for Best Inspirational.

Feathered Quill Book Awards Silver Medal for Best Inspirational (2016).

Book Excellence Award Finalist (2016) for Inspiration.

International Book Award Finalist (2015) for Health-Cancer.

Readers' Favorite Award Finalist (2015) for Grief-Hardship.

U
Published March 26th 2014 by FriesenPress (first published March 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Cancer Olympics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cancer Olympics

Start your review of The Cancer Olympics
Wanda
The Cancer Olympics by Robin McGee

Robin McGee's well written and articulate memoir brought me to tears.
She has told her story as she leads her life; with bravery, compassion, honesty,and humor. Such a remarkable woman! McGee's strength of character shines through.
While facing her own personal battle with cancer she also fought for all Nova Scotians.
The Cancer Olympics is a 5 star read! I would definitely recommend this book to all of my family and friends.
Erin
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished my second time through this book and, through my tears, am again reminded what an important story this is. As a health care provider, I will be reading it many times over as it is a stark cautionary of how important our words and actions (or inactions) are. The horrific and devastating collateral damage of a broken medical system that is rehashed through Robin's story is countered only by her incredible strength of human spirit! This story is also then, an uplifting tale of the h ...more
Liam Farrell
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was unable to put down this book once I'd started, and was in a state of constant dread for what was coming next. Beautifully written, exhaustively researched, and meticulously recorded. we follow the author though a journey which starts with a delay in diagnosis scarcely credible form this side of the Atlantic, and continues through the ordeals of chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgery, with the outcome always guarded. Despite these trials, she somehow found the energy to challenge the medica ...more
Lila Hope-Simpson
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Cancer Olympics (Review by Lila Hope-Simpson)

By Robin McGee

If Robin McGee ever runs for office, vote for her.

She is articulate, methodical, passionate, honest, humourous, intelligent, articulate and generous. In short, Robin McGee is a hero.

When I first picked up McGee’s book about her journey with cancer, I was hesitant. Who wants to read about cancer on a beautiful summer day? Once I started however, I was hooked by her compelling story of heartbreak, drama and courage. I never thought a b
Janine Morin
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine your worst nightmare indeed. Imagine being blown-off by no less than 4 doctors for years while you present terrifying symptoms, to finally be diagnosed with stage III colorectal cancer. Then imagine being told that the best chemotherapy required to treat this type of cancer, a treatment that is the standard everywhere else in the Western world, is not available in your province. What would you do? Well, Robin McGee became an activist, and this memoir documents her journey in a way that s ...more
Robin
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed By Lit Amri for Readers’ Favorite, posted by the writer.

Robin McGee’s The Cancer Olympics is a memoir of her battle against not only cancer but inadequate healthcare that she unfortunately received. The negligence of her delayed diagnosis – no thanks to Doctors One, Two, Three and Four – cause a late stage tumor that could have been prevented and treated earlier. The medical providers had, unbelievably, failed her. From my perspective, they were unprofessional, arrogant and shockingly n
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me, the takeaway message from The Cancer Olympics is to be brave, be strong, and fight for what you believe in especially in the face of adversity.

I must admit that I was hesitant at first to read this book. A close family member had just died from cancer, and I wasn't sure I wanted to read a book about cancer. However, friends encouraged me by explaining that it is not a depressing book about cancer. It is a book about hope, optimism and advocacy. I was glad I listened!

Steven Fujita
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story. Not only did the author have to battle the disease, which gained an early advantage due to some poor healtchare she received from her medical providers, she had to battle those same medical providers and her provincal government because the best care chemotherapy treatment wasn't available for patients with the type of cancer she was diagnosed with.

There is a lesson in this book, and that is patients need to be his/her own advocate and demand and seek out the best care available.
Yannick Serres
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very touching story. Well written and well built, this book reminds you that everything can happens to anyone. You can do all good things to avoid any disease, but you can still be backstabbed by it. It was my first book of this type, not really the kind of book i'm use to, but was really nice to read. Thanks to Robin Mcgee who gave and signed this book for me. It's really appreciated and I hope all the best for you and your family.
The cancer olympics, what a hell of a sport!

**Recieved from Good
Lisa Garand
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book by a woman that I have met and respect. A great read by an articulate author. Healthcare is like every other profession there are kind, compassionate, ethical, capable people and there are those who fall short. In this book Robin tells her story with wit, humor and a raw honesty. She shows what one person can accomplish. She is a voice for many others who wouldn't have the knowledge to advocate for themselves. She tells a story of courage.
Kit Luce
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The first few pages had me hooked, and I was immediately drawn into the story. Robin tells the story of her journey and battle with colorectal cancer, fighting for good medical care and advocating for changes in treatment protocols. Through it all, her writing is clear and concise, and she brings the reader to tears and then laughter within a few pages. Of particular interest is the role that the online community played in providing support. I couldn't put it down.
Dennis Maione
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book. The circumstance made me angry and frustrated. The fact that she had to fight over and over for what was simply common sense treatment and solutions made me despair for the medical system in Canada. But, through it all she, and the community that faithfully supported her, retained hope.
Naomi
GOODREADS GIVEAWAY WIN.

From the complacent diagnostic failings of her first four doctors, to the messy realities of living in treatment and her determined and painstaking engagement with bureaucracy, the author documents the frustrations and triumphs of her recovery with admirable frankness, clarity, and equanimity.
Paul Childs
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So full disclosure; I knew Robin years ago at Carleton U. We first met through a mutual friend. Then, as now I respect her insight, humour and inner strength. I also worked for the medical profession in Nova Scotia for about 8 years, so a good chance I know at least two of the four doctors who are unnamed, and some of the named others definitely rang a bell.

This is a harrowing, book. What Robin went through are things no one should have to go through, and she wound up going through them because
Porterhorse
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written, touching and inspiring.
Julie Haigh
Amazing memoir, amazing lady!

Just twenty pages into this memoir and I was thinking that this is one of the best medical memoirs I have read. I can see why it keeps winning awards. The flow starts straight away, the book is easy to get into as it's all facts and symptoms, concise, no flowery stuff, it grips you immediately. After consulting a doctor with her initial symptoms, Robin McGee was told it was 'likely nothing significant'. How wrong could they be???? This is just a catalogue of disaster
Carol Cassada
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

Dr. Robin McGee lived a quiet life in her home of Nova Scotia. She’s an admired psychologist, wife, and mother. Then one day, Robin’s life changed when she received the news every person dreads. She has cancer.

The Cancer Olympics explores Robin’s battle with colorectal cancer. Her battle wasn’t easy; she had to deal with inadequate care from the first four doctors she saw when her symptoms began. Robin explains the anger she felt
Anamarija Wagner
A Gripping Page Turner
This book is gripping, informative and comprehensive. It brought to life the medical saga that gripped Robin's life, as well as the battle of not only her cancer, but also of a the medical system that ironically she was a colleague in. Robin writes in a way that grips your attention, heart and gut from the first sentence to the last sentence. It is a definite page turner that had be holding my breath through many a chapter.
Monique
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy through Goodreads First Reads Giveaway!

Absolutely loved it! Wow, very awe inspiring. Really helped me come to terms with the news of a close friend of mine just being diagnosed with breast cancer and confirmed how important it is to stay on top of your health especially when you sense something might be wrong. Definitely recommend everyone reads this book!
Charlene Rhem
Annie
Aug 09, 2018
Ezgi ☕️
Feb 03, 2016

• Advanced Techniques in Day Trading: A Practical Guide to High Probability Day Trading Strategies and Methods
  • The Headspace Guide to Meditation & Mindfulness
  • The Beautiful Ones
Dr. Robin McGee is a Registered Clinical Psychologist, mother, wife, educator and friend. Living in Port Williams, Nova Scotia, she has been a dedicated clinician in health and education settings for over 30 years. She has been very active in patient advocacy, serving as the patient representative on several provincial and national initiatives aimed at improving standards of cancer care. In 2015, ...more