Start by marking “I See the Web” as Want to Read:
I See the Web

I See the Web

Seventeen-year-old Erin has a lot to look forward to, even if it suddenly seems like everywhere she turns there’s a spider staring at her. She’s finally out to her friends and family, surprising exactly no one. When Dawn, the love of her tender teenage dreams, corners her in the library, a whole new world opens up to Erin. From here on out, it’s all make-out sessions with ...more
Published March 31st 2014 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about I See the Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I See the Web

Rae
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review first appeared on my blog: What Happened to the Wallflower?

Narrative-This novella is told from the first-person POV of Erin, the quirky (very quirky) protagonist. I'd be lying if I said that the voice isn't what pulled me in; the very first page opens with Erin explaining her fear of spiders and the way in which she gently coaxes them out of her bedroom while curled up in fear as far away as she can get.

It made me smile. It really, really did.

Erin's well-constructed voice tells the s
Brock
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
ATTENTION - I am a self-diagnosed arachnophobic. I can't even watch spider scenes in movies, yet this book still held me in its thrall from beginning to end. So, READ IT, MY SPIDER-FEARING BRETHREN.

I am completely in love with the characters in this novella, especially Erin. She's so relatable it almost hurts. Very human, flawed in the way that we all are, and yet so adorable I just want to pinch her cheeks. If I didn't share the main character's aversion to spiders, I probably would pinch 'em b
Emma Adams
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this paranormal novella! Erin is a great protagonist, and the voice is authentically teen and very engaging. The creepy mystery of the spiders kept me turning the pages. This is a fantastic coming-of-age tale with hints of a unique mythology I'm keen to learn more about!
Heather
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The concept was promising, but I wasn't very impressed by the writing style or the pacing. The writing felt immature, and the romance felt rushed and underdeveloped.

On the plus side: I liked how the coming-out aspect was handled, Erin's family were likeable, and it did leave me curious about the paranormal parts of the story.
Angela
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erin is extremely different. She's been teetering on finding out not only who she is, but who she loves. When all her dreams good and bad begin to come true, how will she handle it? Can she sacrifice the choice she made to save the girl she loves? This short 48-page story. You'll want to buy the next book. It's the most interesting, odd, and intense short I've come across in a while.
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Immediately immersive, creepy storytelling that makes me want to know everything about the lore. Do not read if you have any issues with spiders.
Samantha Allen
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The only reason I can't give this five stars is because I hate spiders so much, but well written and interesting.
Cristina
Mar 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The premise seemed extremely promising but ultimately, the writing style is what left me unimpressed. I understand this is for young adults but the writing was just a bit too juvenile. It's a shame, I really wanted to love this one.
roulette
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of The First Web from a Goodreads giveaway. The First Web includes this story along with the second novella in the series, A Single Thread. So far I have only read I See The Web, and so this is a review based on this novella with no bias based on following stories.

This book was incredibly interesting. First of all, I should say that I love the writing. Erin's voice as a narrator is incredibly entertaining. I am one of those people freaked out by spiders, but this didn't set me
Kisa Whipkey
Anyone who knows me will tell you that I loathe spiders. Not quite to the scream-bloody-murder-every-time-I-see-one level, but I definitely qualify for arachnophobia. So when I first heard about this novella, I had distinct misgivings over the very obvious inclusion of my eight-legged enemies.

Still, having read some of Spivey’s other work, I really wanted to give it a try, especially since it’s the first in a series I’ve rapidly come to expect great things from. So I braced myself for the worst
Shay
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesbian
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

One of the main reasons my rating isn't higher is because the writing starts out a little sloppy. The sentences are a little too long and complex, there's too much description about spiders, and it feels just a bit too detailed and all over the place. But only in the very beginning. The writing improves as the book goes on, so don't put it down just because you weren't a fan of the first chapter. I wasn't sure how much I was going to like this book in the very beginning,
Rey Noble
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a novella, I was highly intrigued with this piece. Without a doubt this is a world I want to come back to.

I have slight critiques, but otherwise nothing but love for this wonderful, queer story, and the world that it sets up for us. Being a novella it is quite short - and my only real complaint is how quickly certain events move, although it's obvious that it's for the sake of the length of the story, and I can hardly complain about that. It's an understanding as a writer that I have, althou
Sharon Bayliss
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
I think novellas are an underrated art form. I love them! It's long enough to become invested in the characters, but they get in and get out without any unnecessary dawdling. Although in the case, of I See The Web, I wouldn't have minded a few more pages, mostly to get more explanation about the creepy and unusual supernatural elements involving spiders. But, since it's the first of a series, I forgive her. :)

I See The Web is a YA LGBT Paranormal Romance novella (that is a lot of genre tags) abo
C.L. Denault
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Spiders. Teenage love. Paranormal mystery. The idea of a story with these elements tempted me to read the first chapter of Cait Spivey’s I See The Web, and her writing style sucked me into reading the rest.

Erin Fletcher is dealing with a lot. Not only is she trying to figure out how to deal with her sexuality, she’s also being stalked by eight-legged creatures who appear to respond to her mental commands. They search her out and call to her, and just as Erin’s love life takes an adventurous new
Ashlynn
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: Cait and I are longtime friends and we work together. But I can say without prejudice that Cait is a talented writer that you should start reading now. (She shared some details of the books that tie into this novella and they are going to be awesome!)

One of the perks of our shared writing/reading/editing history is that I have some extra insight into her writing. It's interesting to see how she draws from real life experiences to create specific, vivid imagery in this novella. (How c
Melody Winter
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘I See the Web’ was a great quick read. Cait’s writing is easy to read and flows effortlessly.

I loved the paranormal aspects within the story and the foreboding way in which the spiders were gradually drawn into the world. I thought the odd spiders that Erin saw at the beginning were quite cute and not at all scary, but, oh my, they really spooked me at the end of the novella.

I enjoyed the overall story but struggled with the speed of the relationship between Erin and Dawn. It was incredibly qui
Wendy
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novellas like this one are tricky to review. It's an introduction to a larger world and story so it's going to be a bit of a tease--and that's both cool and less than perfectly satisfying. So...

I really liked Erin and her voice. The secondary characters are compelling, though not fully fleshed out. Mostly because novella.

The spiders and all that's wound up with them are intriguing.

Ultimately, I wanted more so I'll be reading the next piece.
Chasia Lloyd
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this awhile back and didn't leave a review right away because, well, I guess I wasn't sure how I wanted to approach this. I didn't like this too much the first time around, but I reread it last night and liked it a lot.

The writing itself is lacking in a lot of parts of this F/F paranormal novella, but the story and the characters are great. The end is strange and an outlier to fiction, but I think if you can handle reading about spiders, you'll like this story.
She Writes She Reads aka Thinking M & some other things...
Very unusual but fascinating.

Wow. This was different. It is a quick read but managed to squeeze in the protagonist's coming out, a sweet romance with lots of kissing, a mystery and some very unexpected paranormal happenings!

Completely unusual but enjoyable!
Kathleen
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scared of spiders or not, this book is fabulous. The main character's voice pulled me in immediately and the story was intriguing. Couldn't. Put. It. Down. Love! Excuse me, I'm going to go start the next one in the series.
Nova-Starr
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting tale

Very good book. Not a fan of spiders but this was amazing work. Will read more by Caitlyn Spivey. Ty
Kaiti
meeeeeh. Mediocre writing and weird story. Talk about u-hauling too!
Deni
Chelly
Nov 12, 2014
Michelle Pease
Dec 09, 2015
C.M. Spivey is a speculative fiction writer, author of high fantasy FROM UNDER THE MOUNTAIN and the gothic mystery THE LONGING AND THE LACK. His enduring love of fantasy started young. Now, he explores the rules and ramifications of magic in his own works—and as a trans, panromantic asexual, he's committed to queering his favorite genres. In his spare time, he plans his next tattoo (there will alw ...more