Start by marking “Kelsey and the Quest of the Porcelain Doll” as Want to Read:
Kelsey and the Quest of the Porcelain Doll

Kelsey and the Quest of the Porcelain Doll

A captivating story of adversity, adventure and love from award-winning author Rosanne Hawke.

‘Nanna, can you tell me a story just as if I were with you?’

Kelsey is in Pakistan and wants to go home. Mum and Dad are busy helping flood victims and she misses her friends. But most of all, Kelsey misses Nanna Rose.

Luckily, Kelsey can talk to Nanna on Skype. To help Kelsey feel
Published May 28th 2014 by University of Queensland Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Kelsey and the Quest of the Porcelain Doll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kelsey and the Quest of the Porcelain Doll

Penny Reeve
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I approached this book with some interest, having read and been thoroughly impressed by many other books by Rosanne Hawke. I was interested to see how she would write for this younger age group and also how she would cross the cultural barriers with her western protagonist in a non-western context. I was not disappointed.

Kelsey and the Quest of the Porcelain Doll is a novel (chapter book) for young readers. The text is simple and accessibly written for this age group. The story follows Kelsy, t
Dale Harcombe
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful book. This is a very easy to read book for children around 8 years of age. It gives the story of Kelsey, who with her parents, goes over to Pakistan where her father is intent on helping the people rebuild after floodwaters have destroyed homes, lives and families. Kelsey is not at all happy about leaving her Nanna or Chantelle and her other friends.
Her Nanna, who they keep in touch with by email and Skype, devises a story about Amy Jo, a porcelain doll and her adventures. Amy
Anne Hamilton
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A delightful story for little girls with a touch of magic realism. Kelsey has gone to Pakistan with her family. Her dad is helping to build houses and restore communities after a devastating flood. It's just about the last thing on earth Kelsey wants to do. Then her nana starts to share a story with her over Skype about a porcelain doll named Amy Jo.

In a very mysterious, tangible way, Kelsey's life comes to intersect the story of Amy Jo.
Brian Maunder
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kelsey and the Quest for the Porcelain Doll. I loved reading this story about the kindness and bravery a little girl shows as she develops empathy with the people hurt and devastated by floods in Pakistan. At first she didn't want anything to do with Pakistan or her people, she is completely wrapped up in her own world (in Australia), but as the story unfolds, her emerging understanding of other peoples needs awakens in her a desire to help. This all happens in the context of another story, told ...more
Peta
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
A lovely little story for young readers about friendship, cultural differences and the adventures of a porcelain doll. I enjoyed the book, even if the main character was a little too well behaved and selfless to be completely believable... But I'm an adult... I think it would be great for the intended audience (8-12years). I also liked the glossary of Urdu words in the back. Highly reccomend.
Linsey Painter
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Rosanne Hawke has written another delightful book full of insights into other cultures and fun magical mysteries.
Kelsey is in Pakistan with her family and she does not want to be there. She has had to leave her home, her friends and her nana. As the book progresses Kelsey comes to love this new country she has found herself in. She makes good friends and even finds a way in which she and her friends back home in Australia can have an impact in a country that has been devastated by flood. The st
Claire Belberg
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kelsey and the Quest of the Porcelain Doll is delightful. It tells a story within a story, with a magical ending as exotic as its setting. 'Exotic' doesn't mean ideal, however, for the story is set in Pakistan after a devastating flood. Kelsey, the daughter of Australians who have gone to assist a community's recovery, learns about a very different lifestyle and some unpleasant realities. But with Rosanne Hawke's usual sensitivity, a child reader will experience both sadness and joy without bein ...more
Kel
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Kelsey and the Quest of the Porcelain Doll is a wonderful tale for children aged 8 to 12.

Set amidst the backdrop of a natural disaster, the story follows a young Australian girl named Kelsey who has accompanied her parents to Pakistan on a humanitarian mission.

The story includes themes of friendship, cultural differences, and poverty in a gentle manor that young children will be able to understand and empathise with.

This is a very cute and enchanting story and I would highly recommend it to pa
Michelle
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great cover - good read for those aged approx 9 years - especially girls. Very contemporary - with the use of Skype etc. Great lesson for kids re materialism and being thankful for what they have and that family is the most important thing in life. Great little time capsule of how hard life is for others in the world (flooded Pakistan).
I found it a little 'clunky / awkward' in places and the ending could have more impact, but it moved along at a good pace and is quite a cute story.
Gloria Jorquera
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was a great book. Would recommend to beginners as words are quite big, but overall it was a good read! ☺
Syamsurrijal
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Yes. It's a book for children. A very interesting one :D
Sal
Aug 07, 2015
Toby Stewart
rated it did not like it
Nov 28, 2015
Kilani
Mar 29, 2017
Shanaya
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Finished in 2 days. Awsome. DEFINITELY READ THIS BOOK.
Dimity Powell
Connor
Aug 20, 2017
Rebecca Johnson
Jun 16, 2015
When little I ran around with a jotter and a pencil, pretending to write a story but not knowing how to spell any words except Dick, Dora and cat. My mother asked me to tell stories. A lot of my stories stayed in my head, as being the youngest and living in the country didn't bring many opportunities for an audience. I was born in Penola, in South Australia. We had a sheep farm until I was six, th ...more