Start by marking “Only Enchanting (The Survivors' Club, #4)” as Want to Read:
Only Enchanting (The Survivors' Club, #4)

Only Enchanting

(The Survivors' Club #4)

The Survivors' Club: Six men and one woman, all wounded in the Napoleonic Wars, their friendship forged during their recovery at Penderris Hall in Cornwall. Now, in the fourth novel of the Survivors' Club series, Flavian, Viscount Ponsonby, has left this refuge to find his own salvation—in the love of a most unsuspecting woman…

Flavian, Viscount Ponsonby, was devastated by
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published October 28th 2014 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Only Enchanting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only Enchanting

Duchess Nicole
4.5 Stars!!

Mary Balogh is like the Mona Lisa compared to a Picasso. She's dignified and lovely, serene and quietly mysterious. There's nothing about her books that screams "READ ME!" and yet, I always do. I sink into her stories and roll around in another time, another place, another way of thinking.

This was the fourth story in the Survivor's Club series, of which I've only read two. I'll certainly go back and read the others and continue the series though. One thing that struck me about this b
♥Rachel♥
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, historical
4.5 Stars

Flavian, Viscount Ponsonby is one six friends that call themselves “The Survivors Club” after recovering together from grave injuries suffered during the Napoleonic War. It took Flavian some time to recover from being shot in the head, and still he suffers the effects of his injury. As if that wasn’t bad enough, when he finally became lucid he found out his betrothed, Velma, ended their engagement so she could marry his best friend, Len, after thinking Flavian would never fully recover.
Lady Wesley
Only Enchanting is only excellent -- one of Mary Balogh's best ever.

This is the fourth installment in Mary Balogh’s Survivor’s Club series, and while all of them have been good, this one is first-rate. It delivers what we’ve come to expect from Balogh – engaging, fully-developed characters, impeccable plotting, and a happily ever after that is not easily earned. I couldn’t wait to find out what would happen next, the result being that I read it in less than one day

As the book opens, it’s time fo
Caz
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth instalment in Mary Balogh's Survivor's Club series, and while I have enjoyed each of the other books, Only Enchanting is the best to date. It's a beautifully wrought and gently moving story of two emotionally wounded people trying to navigate their way through the issues that have shaped them in order to forge a lasting and loving relationship and I adored every minute of it.

Flavian Arnott, Viscount Ponsonby, returned from the Peninsula unable to speak or understand much of
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
I like this book best out of the whole Survivor's Club series, I think. I've always had a soft spot for Flavian Ponsonby, he of the gorgeous golden-ness and lover extraordinaire! He of the affected boredom and rakishness with a stutter and broiling passion and a heart of gold.

It def helped me fall more in love with him when I imagine Mr. Blondie Bun, my ongoing model obsession, as his fictional incarnation as far as looks go, down to the arching eyebrow!:

description

I really like the heroine too - no-nonsen
Vintage
Re-read:

A little mood music for the review… Harry Nelson’s Jump into the Fire

Somehow I’ve hooked back into the “Survivor’s Club” series by Mary Balogh. For those who don’t care for some of MB’s more depressing romances, this is a wonderful change.

All the characters of the “Survivor’s Club” are woven together and have huge presences in each book. I hate reading a book with a wonderful character only to find in that the next the series that they have been ma
Mei
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I really don’t know how to rate this book!

The first 100 pages or so were so much drawn out that I really considered DNF, but I kept in my mind all the high ratings my friend here gave, so I forced myself to continue reading.

In those pages almost nothing happened, or better, something happened, but it was lost (to me) in all the descriptions, questions, etc.

Just an example: the daffodil painting. A lot of pages were spend on daffodils that I was yawning. But when I rethink about them I get that t
Miranda Davis
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miranda by: Lady Wesley's review
Shelves: 4-5-stars
I'm enchanted. Deftly portrayed characters whose wounds physical and emotional make them complicated, vulnerable and heroic in not so typical ways meet, marry and sort things out. This is a quiet story about a widow who fears passion and its chaos and one of the survivors' club, who struggles to reclaim his memories after healing from head wounds and fears what he cannot recall in his past. Very sweet, yet never cloying. It's a fast read, just an evening, but the sleepy-eyed viscount and the pri ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steamy, romance
Book four in a series you really shouldn't skip around in. And having read the previous three, you know about what to expect with this one . . . but only roughly, really. I've been wondering what Balogh would make of Flavian as he is obviously cynical and very, very guarded. I knew it'd take some doing to be true to that and still have him fall in love. Oh, and I loved that he fell for Agnes (Sophia's friend from The Arrangement).

I fell for these two singly and as a couple right from the start.
Manda Collins
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my favorite of the Survivors Club series so far. I love the pairing of flirtatious Flavian with practical Agnes, and it was fun to watch them learn to fit into one another's lives. I predict this will become a favorite among Balogh fans and newcomers alike. I'll certainly be rereading it soon!
Dorine
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Recommended Read! Will also be posted at TBRMountainRange.com with other Recommended Reads.

Enchanting aptly describes Mary Balogh's newest release in the SURVIVORS' CLUB series, ONLY ENCHANTING. It may be Flavian's, Viscount Ponsonby's, impression of Agnes Keeping when he first meets her, but I was just as enchanted with Flavian and his interaction with Agnes throughout this beautifully written novel. Author Mary Balogh made me laugh within the first few pages and I knew at that moment that th
Kathleen
3.5 stars. I have only read two other books in this series. This one was good, but not tremendously compelling. I stopped reading it several times. Took frequent breaks. Even though I enjoyed it, I couldn't immerse myself fully in the evolving relationship. I didn't understand how Flavian fell so fast for Agnes. Why did he instantly feel such a sexual pull toward her? Why did he instantly find her so enchanting? This was not well developed, IMO.

Furthermore, the book sort of meanders along, with
Cee (The Mistress Case)
The first half wasn't for me. The second half was so much better. I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of the series :)
Sophia
The Survivor's Club series is such a unique concept for a Historical Romance series. I was on-board from the beginning mostly because I'm already a long fan of the author, but also because I love it any time a book/series is connected to a military theme or characters past or present. The Survivor's Club is a band of veterans or survivors of the Napoleonic War who were brought together to heal and support each other by an older man who lost his son followed by his wife due to the war. They came ...more
Tin
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
When I first met Flavian in Hugo's book, I wondered what happened to him and why he was part of The Survivors' Club because he didn't seem to belong there. The rest of the members (except for Flavian and Imogen) were clearly/visibly injured by the war: Benedict is crippled, Vincent is blind, Ralph is scarred, but Flavian only has his stutter -- and, even in the previous books, he didn't seem to have been affected that much by his experiences because he was jolly and light-hearted -- always teasi ...more
Wendy
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Only Enchanting...another winner, this series just gets better. Mary Balogh's years of experience shows, but instead of running out of ideas her novels just get richer, more empathetic and entrancing. How has she managed to come up with the diversity shown in this series alone? Number four in the series and each story is different, each character endearing, charismatic and loveable and definitely worthy of his (the men so far) happy ever after.

This story is Flavian's, Viscount Ponsonby. Rich, bo
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
This series, The Survivors Club, really shows why I love Mary Balogh as one of my most favourite authors and why her books are auto buys for me. This book, plus the previous two really are the most lovely, wonderful books.

This one is about Agnes and Flavian. You could ask, and I do, how I could love a couple with names such as that, and I do wonder why this author really does sometimes pick the most awful names, but I loved these characters anyway. Flavian is the muddle headed hero injured in t
Olga Godim
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, romance
In this Regency romance, Flavian, Viscount Ponsonby, meets a woman. That’s how all romance novels start, but Mary Balogh explores the topic from a different angle in her Survivors Club series. All the members of the Club were severely injured in the Napoleonic wars. It took them years to heal, but all of them still bear scars, mental and physical. Now, years later, all of them found inner strength to move on, to build a new life. To find love. Flavian is one of the Survivors.
He suffered head inj
Jaclyn
Only Enchanting is the fourth installment in Mary Balogh’s amazing Survivor’s Club series. Each time I finish one of Balogh’s historical, I close the book thinking damn this woman can write. Balogh stands out in the historical romance genre in that she creates such fully realized characters that are often imperfect, and deeply emotional. What I like about Balogh’s romances is that I find them wholly realistic. The hero and heroine are capable of petty thoughts towards each other, and can be spit ...more
Misfit
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book, but this Amazon review pretty much sums up my feelings. Go and give her a helpful vote. My only quibbles are 1) the heavy handed use of words in italics and I so wished the 'baddie' of the piece would have received a good comeuppance. Can't have everything.

Kindle copy obtained via library loan.
Lissy Liz
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Michaela
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A touch of sadness and misunderstandings, but of course a happy end!
Liz F
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review copy courtesy of the publisher via NetGalley.

Ooooh I loved this book! I was more than a little worried that due to this book being #4 in a series, that I wouldn't be able to keep up and that very little would make much sense. I am thrilled that it was not only easy to keep up, I barely felt like I missed anything. Although, I'm sure that some of the characters were featured in previous books, but it wasn't necessarily obvious. And it gets better....!

Okay, so Agnes was a pretty decent char
Jen Davis
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think in many ways this series is tailor-made for me. Each installment is focused on a survivor of the Napoleonic wars. Each has suffered in the aftermath: some, in more obvious ways than others. You know I love a tortured hero and these books are chock-full of them. In the hands of a lazy author, this could result in essentially the same story playing out over and over again, different in only the details. Thankfully, that’s not what happens here. I love how different Mary Balogh has made eac ...more
Julie
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it

Only Enchanting by Mary Balogh is a 2014 Signet Publication.

This the fourth book in the Survivor's Club series.

Flavian, Viscount Ponsonby, suffered a brain injury which cost him his fiance' who quite abruptly married one of his oldest friends. Now, several years later, it seems the lady is a widow, and Flavian feels some guilt about having kept his distance from the couple all this time. But, the thought comes to mind that it could be his chance to rekindle the romance with the lady who once d
Amarilli Settantatre
da www.sgnipensieriparole.com

A prima vista potrebbe sembrare una storia molto, forse troppo, semplice. In realtà è come una torta che lievita lentamente in forno, con sentimenti che crescono di giorno in giorno, passando dalla semplice simpatia e attrazione fisica all’amore più duraturo e forte. Come al solito, la Balogh riesce a creare una coppia innamorata che s’innamora e si evolve in modo convincente.
E’ bastato un ballo, e una danza fatta per compiacere la padrona di casa, e Agnes, giovane v
Kym
Nov 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: regency, romance, audio
Genre: Regency romance
This is the 4th installment in The Survivors Club series. I really like Flavian, and have since the first book of the series. He seems to be a handsome, uber-sexy nobleman who hides behind a bored, cynical facade. Then he speaks, revealing a stutter he has because of head injuries suffered while fighting during the Peninsular campaign. He has loss of memory, with big chunks of his pre-injury life just inaccessible, and his short-term memory sin' all that great either. He ha
Mary B. Grove
A sweet but anticlimactic book

I really like most of Mary Balogh's books. Her characters are varied and interesting, their emotions and choices complex, and the working out of whatever plot conflicts and dangers are dependably welldone. This book, however, simply meandered to an end. The two leads started off with a lot of possibility, especially Agnes, but they seemed more to fall into relationship without very much reason offered for why they did. And when Velma,the villainess of the piece, tri
Lu
I simply loved this book! Agnes is such a strong and admirable character. She comes from scandal, a boring marriage without passion, the loss of such husband, dull life with her unmarried sister and yet she is full of strength and freshness.
I love how Viscount Posonby gets tangled without realizing, how believable are the conflicts he faces and most of all, how lovely and caring and beautiful he is inside and out.
This book also develops better the side characters, and it shows how people can be
Paraphrodite
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2016
The impression I got from the previous books of Flavian was a somewhat flippant dandy with a bit of a stutter. Ms Balogh obviously waited until this book to flesh out his character and as usual, brought us a hero with great depth.

Similarly, Agnes was only shown as Sophie's friend who arranged for her children's books to be published. There wasn't much of a back story except that she had moved to live with her older sister, who is also Vincent's music teacher.

What really resonated with this stor
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 23, 2015 08:02AM
  • The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)
  • The Captive (Captive Hearts, #1)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • The Winter Bride (Chance Sisters, #2)
  • A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong (Blackshear Family, #0.5)
  • Sweet Madness (Veiled Seduction, #3)
  • An Heir of Uncertainty
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • Libby's London Merchant (Nesbitt, #1)
  • Secrets of a Scandalous Heiress (The Matchmaker Trilogy, #3)
  • An Unwilling Bride (Company of Rogues, #2)
  • Scandal
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
  • Summer Is for Lovers (Second Sons, #2)
  • Rogue Spy (Spymasters #5)
Mary Jenkins was born in 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more

The Survivors' Club (7 books)
  • The Proposal (The Survivors' Club, #1)
  • The Arrangement (The Survivors' Club, #2)
  • The Escape (The Survivors' Club #3)
  • Only a Promise (The Survivors' Club, #5)
  • Only a Kiss (The Survivors' Club, #6)
  • Only Beloved (The Survivors' Club, #7)
“How easy it is to dismiss the outer packaging without an inkling that one is thereby missing the precious beauty within.” 10 likes
“We can never benefit today from the wisdom we will have gained tomorrow.” 10 likes