Start by marking “Just Destiny (Destiny, #1)” as Want to Read:
Just Destiny  (Destiny, #1)

Read Excerpt

Just Destiny (Destiny #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  435 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
What would you do if your whole world fell apart?

Jenny Harrison made some poor choices in the past, but marrying Gabe was the best thing she’d ever done. They had the perfect marriage, until a tragic accident leaves Gabe brain dead and her world in ruins.

Devastated by grief, she decides to preserve the best of their love by conceiving his child, but Gabe’s family is adaman
Published March 31st 2014 by Theresa Rizzo (first published February 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Just Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Destiny

Cyndi Becker
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 Stars & and a recommendation for any reader of the Contemporary & Romance genre’s

Gift copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review

“Finding a Path”

Do you believe in destiny – about predefined outcomes that happen regardless of the way you live your life? Are there other qualifiers that define destiny – does the end result need to be a major life event or something that impacts how you live your life and what other choices maybe be made? In Just Destiny, author Theresa Ri
CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
What would you do if your world fall apart? What would you do if your husband is declared brain-dead and you lose the baby you're carrying at the same time? Would you preserve that chance in conceiving his child? Is it worth going to court and have your life publicly exposed?

Jenny fought to hold on to something that was to be hers and Gabe's, her husbands. I admit I don't quite agree on her decision... but I understood and respected it. But then again, I don't quite agree with most of her choi
Theresa Rizzo
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Since I wrote the book, naturally, I think it's wonderful. It's great for anyone who likes a good romance with a little extra in the plot. This story would make a great book club read, stimulating tons of questions. And I'd love to be at each book club meeting to hear the discussion and listen o everyone's opinions.
April Wood
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
"I believe we all have our own path to travel. Sometimes we make false starts and detours, but we have this internal compass that knows our true path. We just have to listen to it."

Jenny Harrison is the proud and loving wife/step-mother to her humanitarian Doctor husband, and his two teenage children Alex, and Ted. They have a good life, and good friends Steve and his Fiance Annie, right next door. A promising future lies ahead of them, until an argument spins out of control and Jenny is trapped
Anasheh Satoorian
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a book like this in a very long time. This book has everything wrapped up into one: Romance, Heartache, self-discovery, a suspenseful trial, and most importantly this book is one that makes you stop and think and question what you believe is right or wrong. I don't know about you guys but this is something that I do not see in many stories and it is something that I realized that I want to see more of in books.

This beautiful yet heart breaking story is about a 28 year old journali
Dianne
Click to Enter to WIN an eCopy of JUST DESTINY
Ends April 13, 2014

Just Destiny by Theresa Rizzo is an emotionally electrifying journey filled with controversial tension, courtroom drama and an in-your-face awakening for Jeni as she learns how those around her perceive the person she is as she fights for the right to use her late husband’s sperm to impregnate her.

Jeni’s journey to a newfound self-awareness of the person she is, who she is becoming and who she wants to be is filled with miles of
KathyAnne
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I have read by this author and she has a really nice writing style. Both books have been well thought out and revolve around court cases. The topic of this second book is quite controversial which would make this book a great choice for book clubs and those who like to hash out and debate issues that are quite often divided. There is a list of discussion questions at the end that can be used as a guide if needed.
Jenny abruptly becomes a young widow. At the time of her hu
Terri
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Original review found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/

I was fortunate to receive an advanced copy of this book directly from the author in exchange for my honest thoughts. I'm not sure how she found me whether it be from Goodreads or my blog but I am sure glad that she did.

This was a well written emotional account of the aftermath of a tragic accident. Mix in the controversial issue of conceiving a child after someone has passed away and it has the formula for a captivating read.

The chara
Pat
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just Destiny............. Theresa Rizzo

This is the second novel I have read by Ms. Rizzo. It is equally as enjoyable a read as the first! Her combination of emotion, romance and controversial legal issues and courtroom drama is fascinating and kept me from putting this novel down!

Full review to follow on April 10th at http://tbqspersonalbookpalace.blogspo...
Kathryn
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book pulled me in and hooked me by the various issues it explores. One especially that I had never even thought about. Great writing, great plot, flawed but lovable characters. Would make for thought provoking discussions in book clubs. I look forward to the next book.
Rachel T
As reviewed for The Reading Cafe 30 Mar 14

5 out of 5 for this reader folks!

OH MY HEART STRINGS .. man they weren't just pulled .. they were yanked!

I remember you Theresa Rizzo. The last book I reviewed for you left me an absolute wreck and ball of mush, and WHAMO .. you just did it again! You can tell a great story and captivate a reader, but what I love the most .. I felt this story could be real. No imaginary world, imaginary
David Burnett
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Jenny’s husband, Gabe, dies as he pushes her from the path of an oncoming truck. They have been happily married for two years, and Jenny has just discovered that she is pregnant. It was an unintentional pregnancy. Gabe has two college-age children from his first marriage, and, at the time of their marriage, he and Jenny had both denied any interest in having children. As Gabe lies in the hospital, Jenny miscarries.

When her husband is declared to be brain dead, Jenny is called on to make decision
Debbie
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A story about a 28 year old women names Jenny and her husband Gabe who is much older, had the perfect marriage. They loved each other so much that Jenny even accepted the fact that she wouldn't have children since Gabe already had two who were almost fully grown and didn't intend on having more. Then Jenny finds out she is pregnant and all bets are off for her. She decides to talk to Gabe on their mini vacation and get him to see how much this child would mean to her. All of the sudden, tragedy ...more
Stella  Temenu
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lustful Literature
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
**TARA'S REVIEW**

*4.5 Love Thy Neighbor Stars*

Jenny Harrison had it all, a wonderful older husband, a job as a journalist, two teenage step children. All was wonderful in her life, until while on a weekend getaway her world is turned upside down when an accident takes the life of her husband Gabe. As Gabe lies in a hospital on life support, decisions must be made about their fate.

Steve Grant, their neighbor and friend, supports Jenny throughout the aftermath of Gabe's death. He may not always a
Maria
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Despite their age difference, Gabe and Jenny have the ideal marriage. Although Jenny agreed early on that they would remain childless, she's excited to find out she's pregnant but nervous about telling Gabe. Then tragedy strikes. Gabe dies suddenly after being hit by a car, leaving Jenny bruised and in charge of so many decisions. Gabe never stipulated anything about his death, and Jenny is grieving too much to make any decisions. Jenny finds an unlikely alibi in Judith, Gabe's ex-wife. She's a ...more
Jane
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just Destiny Theresa Rizzo

4.5 Stars

Jenny and Gabe had decided children weren’t in their future, she wasn’t interested in starting a family and he already had a son and daughter from a previous marriage. When Jenny finds out she is expecting, rather than tell Gabe she is already pregnant she tells him she has changed her mind and now wants to start trying for a baby. Gabe’s unenthusiastic reaction disappoints Jenny and she storms off in a temper leaving Gabe to follow. As he goes after her a car
I'd So Rather Be Reading {Nat}
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
I loved Theresa Rizzo's first book, He Belongs to Me, and really didn't think I could love Just Destiny any more, but I did. I found this book completely impossible to put down.

What I love about Rizzo's writing is that her premises are so believable. While reading Just Destiny, I kept having the feeling that Jenny's tragedy could happen to me, or anyone else I know. Only a great writer can make you put yourself in a character's shoes, and Rizzo does that for me every time.

Jenny was an easy char
Ashley
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
**An Advance Review Copy was received from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.**

Jenny and Gabe Harrison were happily married for two years when Jenny was found to be pregnant. As they had no interest in children Jenny keeps this secret to herself while trying to convice Gabe to change his mind on having a child together. In the meantime, tragedy strikes and Gabe is seriously injured in an accident saving Jenny. While Gabe is in a coma, Jenny miscarries their chi
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nicely done! Definitely a good, original read. This story line might be considered controversial. But then, I love controversy, anything that gets people to think, anything that gets me to think - "What would I do?"

*Minor spoiler*
Jenny's husband has an accident and is brain dead just before giving her the baby she so desperately wants. When approached about donating his organs a thought is planted in her head. Would it be possible to take out and freeze his sperm so she cam get pregnant? I won't
Star
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jenny Harrison was unbelievably and overwhelmingly happy in her marriage to Gabe Harrison. Everyone always thought they had the perfect marriage, but now Jenny’s looking to add an addition to their family – a child. On a weekend getaway, Jenny tells Gabe she’s thinking about children but doesn’t let him know she’s a few weeks pregnant yet. When Gabe is struck by a car while they are biking, he is left brain dead and Jenny’s world implodes. At the hospital, Jenny is approached by a transplant coo ...more
Stephanie Lasley
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just Destiny is an emotionally charged love story from the beginning to the end. I was mesmerized by the range of emotions I felt while reading this book. I was deeply affected by the subject matter and I caught myself still thinking about this book days after finishing it.
The storyline is quite believable. The main characters deal with such an array of emotions, such as blissful happiness followed by deep desperation and total devastation. They also experience the miracles and the pitfalls of m
Krazybooklady
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just Destiny is emotional and heartbreaking. Whether you agree with Jenny's choices are not, this story forces you to think about what you would do if your world was suddenly turned upside down and you lost just about everything. Jenny chooses the path that she feels she needs to piece her life back together, and thankfully, she has some great friends and family to help her. Theresa Rizzo has managed to effectively portray a devastating tragedy and the emotional aftermath, and my heart went out ...more
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS

This book is not a typical love story with a typical HEA. If you are looking for a sweet, light-hearted read, turn away. If you are looking for an emotionally gripping story that makes you think and quite possibly question your own beliefs, Just Destiny is a book you will enjoy.

I love the plot line of this book. It's unique and not something that is done to death in other contemporary stories. I don't like spoilers, so I won't say too much, other than I love the twists and turns Theres
Ngozi O. Nwosu
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book that takes the reader through some amazing highs and thought provoking lows. It is a story of a woman hit with horrific tragedy and forced into a courtroom to realize her personal dream. Along the way she has the support of family and a dear friend but it is still an emotional journey and she is the only one fully invested in the complete outcome. I am new to this author and very pleasantly surprised. I highly recommend this novel.
Miranda
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've given 5 stars to so many books... Some of them deserved it, some of them not that much. Now, after reading this book, I just can't put this very book next to them, just because it's much better than the rest and deserves nor 5 or 10 but 100 stars! It is an amazing book, worth the time spent reading it and also worth every drop of tear formed in my eyes while ugly crying on some emotional moments. Well done, Theresa! Thank you!
♠ Becka & Cerys ♠ | Spitfire Reviews
There's not a lot of romance in this book, it's more about a woman working through a tragedy and her struggle to get what she wants from life after the death of her husband and her unborn baby.
I found myself crying right along with her more than once throughout the story.
I would recommend this to everyone. There's a lot of depth to the book, and the writing style is engaging.
Jane
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book and had trouble putting it down. I had read the prequel, “Just Beginning” and looked forward to continuing the story. I was definitely not disappointed. This book really makes you think – such a great storyline - kept me intrigued throughout. I enjoyed all of the varying twists this book took. I will definitely look for other books by this author.
Tricia Summerson
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was more than a simple love story. It made you feel and think, what would you do if your husband died and you wanted children. Are his sperm yours for you to decide, or can others really tell you what you can or can't do? I found the legal banter and questions interesting as well as the character interactions.
Sassy Sext Addiction Book Lovers
There really are no words that can express how much I LOVED this book. I have never in my life read anything like it.
Theresa captured my attention from the beginning and never let it go. The book was very well written. I can't wait to read more from her!

ARC provided for exchange of my honest review.
  • Gilded Lily (Gilded Flower, #1)
  • September Sky (American Journey, #1)
  • Unblocked - Episode Five (Timber Towers, #5)
  • Once a SEAL (West Coast Navy SEALs, #2)
  • The Arrangement
  • Hunger (The Seductors Series, #2)
  • Feather Light
  • One Lucky Night
  • Once Upon a Highland Christmas (Scandalous Scots, #0.5)
  • Kiss Me Hello (Sweetest Kisses, #3)
  • The Marriage Wager
  • The Cowboy's Christmas Baby (Cowboys & Brides, #2)
  • August Fog (August Fog, #1)
Theresa Rizzo is an award-winning author who writes emotional stories that explore the complexity of relationships and families through real-life trials. Born and raised in Grosse Pointe, Michigan, she now lives outside of Boulder, Colorado with her husband of thirty-two years.
More about Theresa Rizzo

Destiny (3 books)
  • Just Beginning (Destiny, #0)
  • The Lives Between Us   (Destiny, #2)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Two By Two
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“believe we each have our own path to travel. Sometimes we make false starts and detours, but we have this internal compass that knows our true path. We just have to listen to it.” He” 1 likes
“pickle smell. Jenny winced. Gross. Shaking her” 1 likes