Start by marking “A Trip to the Hardware Store & Other Calamities (Quirky Essays for Quirky People, #2)” as Want to Read:

A Trip to the Hardware Store & Other Calamities

(Quirky Essays for Quirky People #2)

alternate cover edition of ASIN: B00DH5XFHU

At 8,000 words, this collection of humorous essays explores such quirky topics as: disastrous home repairs, ("A Trip to the Hardware Store"), an unfortunate dinner party (“Dinner is Served"), the truth about lazy people ("Lazy Bones"), the weird life of a debt collector ("Your Account is Past Due") and obsessions with gadgets ("G
Published December 12th 2014 by Create Space (first published June 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Trip to the Hardware Store & Other Calamities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Trip to the Hardware Store & Other Calamities

James
Barbara Venkataraman's "A Trip to the Hardware Store & Other Calamities" is an amusing collection of short tales that leave you with a breath of fresh, much-needed laughter. This is the second of her "Quirky Essays for Quirky People" collection, and a must-read for anyone looking to really connect with an author's writing style. I've read several of her books at this point, and these little stories clearly offer a candid look into the author's life, imagination and ability to create characte ...more
Elyse Walters
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Readers Funny-bone Treat!

Remember buying penny candy as a kid? I think we knew 'The-Penny' was a great deal even then.
"A Trip to the Hardware Store & Other Calamites is our adult sweet savings-deal today! Only 99 cents on Amazon for this yummy-pleasure!!

It takes an hour to read these charming, adorable, funny, very human stories. Its the perfect book to read with friends, sitting around the pool, the fireplace, visiting a friend who is sick, or injured (like my husband), reading with a g
Cyndi
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Here's a bit of trivia you may not know about me...when I was 19 I enlisted in the Air Force. With no actual plan of what I wanted to specialize in I was a recruiter's dream. You see, they are given a quota of positions to fill. Especially when they need women to fill these empty jobs. So, longer story short, I spent the next seven years as a plumber.
I tell you this long antidote to let you know how I relate to the first essay in this book. Hilarious plumbing story! Been there, done that. Oh,
Linda Strong
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
I swear I'm going to collect everyone of these books by this author! I have never had this much fun. I love reading these essays ... and I know each and every one of us could add our own stories and we would all understand!

It's so hard to pick favorites from these offerings.

A Trip To The Hardware Store: This one will definitely resonate with all those DIY people out there or those of us who have lived with one. I do admit to having a Home Depot charge card...and could spend spend almost as many
J.P. Willson
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun, humorous and quick read that will surely elicit a bunch of chuckles about life...
Texas
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Trip to the Hardware Store & Other Calamities - I had so much fun reading these tidbits. This is not my first and hopefully not last book by this author. Ms. V writes well, has well thought out storylines and is entertaining with her humor and common sense approaches. The complete book didn't take long to read and it's perfectly suited for coffee breaks and a few minutes getaway time. Actually all her books are perfect for relaxation and entertainment. 4*

Jamie Quinn Mystery Collection: Box
Carole P. Roman
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delightful collection of short stories much in the style of Erma Bombeck. Barbara Venkataraman includes the reader in her charming observation of daily tidbits. My favorite is the over accommodating hostess dinner party that get shot to pieces by today's crazy dietary demands, or the silly clutter of unnecessary gadgets that take over our kitchens. Especially sweet, was the essay about the day she spends with her dad, who is slowly losing his memory. A quick read, it will make you smile, as her ...more
Peggy Clayton
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was so funny and short that I just laughed for the entire book. I had gotten this book from the author awhile ago and it fell behind my other books and so glad that one day I grabbed a book and this book came with it. I know that it was telling me to read it right away. I needed a good laugh on the day that I found it. I like short funny stories and Barbara hit a ball to center field with this one!
Barbara
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a hilarious trip down memory lane. No offense to the author, but this book would be a good one to place in the bathroom if you do that sort of thing. The stories are short and very entertaining.
Robin Reynolds / October Woman
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
*I received a pdf of this book from the author for review*

I've just moved from a three bedroom house to a two bedroom duplex, and life has been very hectic the past week as I settle in and try to figure out where to put all my stuff. This collection of short essays was the perfect remedy for my tired brain at the end of the day. It took me longer than it should have to read, but I sometimes picked it up and reread a few pages before moving on. The author's sense of humor shines through, and I pa
Serena
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if these essays are based on real life, but it doesn't really matter as they are all well told stories about life. Some of the tales are laugh out loud funny and others are poignant. It is impossible to pick a favorite. Barbara Venkataraman could easily be the next Erma Bombeck or Teresa Bloomingdale if she wanted to write a column instead of these short books of essays.
This was such a great reading experience that I am hoping that she writes a third book of these type of essays.
Emily
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With her normal quirky sense of humor I found this book to be incredibly enjoyable. I even found myself laughing out loud a few times because I could relate to the short essays I was reading. A good book for a pick-me-up and quick read. It will make you feel better, I promise. I would recommend this book. 5 out of 5 stars.
Nicki
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Soooo funny

My husband and I laughed our way through the book. I laughed so hard at some points I could not read out loud. Noe that makes for a perfect book! Thanks for the laughs!!
Jeanette
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-readers
A great mix of topics, which was filled with humour. Loved it! There were one or two topics which I could easily identify with within my own family. This is an ideal book for anyone who wants a quick and fun light read. I received a free copy of this book by the author.

Carla
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a cute collection of amusing short essays. I enjoyed the author's quirky sense of humor. It is a quick, easy read. I liked it.
Kimberly
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
A collection of short essays written about the author and her family, gently poking humor at herself. A quick read to lighten your mood or to "cleanse you palate" between serious reads.
Bonnie Dale Keck
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
kindle unlimited but got some on freebie day and some went to ku to read the rest. They tend to be good-not great though, and amusing but not hilarious type funny but did like. {This goes for all of them pretty much.}

This collection of humorous essays explores such quirky topics as: disastrous home repairs, ("A Trip to the Hardware Store"), an unfortunate dinner party (“Dinner is Served"), the truth about lazy people ("Lazy Bones"), the weird life of a debt collector ("Your Account is Past Due")
Kim
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a humorous collection of essays that covered a wide range of topics such as pets, home repairs, and dinner parties. This is a quick read that you can read in one day or over a few days between your errands. I would like to warn you that you may laugh out loud while reading. I recommend this book to anyone that would like to read about an entertaining view of everyday life and problems.

I received a copy of this book from the author in hopes I would submit a review. All thoughts and opini
Novel Destination
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Our family experiences resemble some of these humor-filled essays. Good to read we are not alone. I especially enjoyed the Father's home repair struggles---we always say that plumbing issues end up requiring at least 3 hardware store visits. However, I could completely relate to the "High Finance" essay. I am using it as proof that other women do this for the men at our next family gathering---where we are sure to have family-related finances to clear up. :)
Michael E. Schulte Sr.
I think she's talking about me

An amusing bunch of short stories about subjects most folks go through in the journey down the path of life but for peace of mind and to protect the innocent, we never speak of to anyone or out loud.
Lisa
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a very quick little book with some cute stories. The one I can relate to the most is having a dinner party today when you have to worry about everyone's allergies, illnesses and pickiness.
PJ Lea
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
📚📚📚📚

Sweet, humorous, informative, an enjoyable book of essays about the life of the author. "High Finance" is an especially interesting tale.
Heather Wilson
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Overall I enjoyed this collection of essays, I found myself laughing several times and chuckling or just smiling at other times. There were only a few humorous lines or essays that fell flat or felt flat. A few essays were variations on old jokes and tales (whether knowingly or unknowingly I know not). Some worked, but mostly felt underwhelmed by these. She's generally at her best when sharing things that legitimately feel like they're from her own experience like the essay on home repair, the M ...more
Nancy Silk
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"A Very Humorous Collection of Short Stories"

I've been looking forward to reading this book of funny memories...I was ready to laugh out loud! And I did! The first story about the author's dad is a reflection of many men as women can attest. So many men are quick to tackle home repairs, and many, many times, the simple job turns into utter disaster. The story reminds me of the popular TV series, 'Home Improvement' with Tim Allen as the tool man. Here in this story, every simple task that Dad att
Don Sloan
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Have I told you the one about the hapless father of four girls, trying to fix a leaky hot water pipe so his girls can take a shower?

No worries! It's the first one in A Trip to the Hardware Store and Other Calamities.

This is a quick read -- only fifty pages -- and it is guaranteed to give a laugh or at least a smile, even on your most troubled day.

Written in the style of the famous humor columnist Edna Bombeck, this small book offers a series of first-person remembrances and essays that will tick
Susan
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Note: Even though this is Book 2 in the series, it stands alone just fine.

This collection of humorous essays captures snippets of real life. From the hardware store trip, to debt collection, to a failed dinner party, and the finance among friends, these little stories provide amusement.

I can see myself in several of these essays. I especially liked the dinner party story, Dinner Is Served. The narrator goes to great lengths to serve a tasty and impressive dinner. However, all her friends have di
Jennifer (JC-S)
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
‘He always gave it his best when it came to home repairs, but my dad was in way over his head.’

This is a collection of eight short essays reflecting on some of the wryly humorous aspects of life. ‘A Trip to the hardware store’ is a reminder that those of us without the handyperson gene are not alone. It’s a reminder, too, that failures can be amusing but costly. ‘Dinner is served’ shows just how hard it can be to organise a dinner party - organising people is the easy part – but food? Forget it.
Katie
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fun. The ordinary events/occurrences of our lives are turned into amusing stories. Light, easy read. I found it perfect for an interminable wait for service call.
Candy
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author sent me this book for review and while browsing for something light after a major surgery, I picked this one. Short stories are absolutely wonderful when you're on medications that affect your ability to focus because you don't have to try to remember the entire story to get the gist of that "chapter". As lover of reading, short stories allow me to enjoy reading without getting frustrated.

Many of the essays in this book were just plain funny. The title essay, in particular, had me hyp
Julie Barrett
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Trip to the Hardware Store by Barbara Venkataraman
Funny, humorous at times of lifes every day events and how they can be easily become calamities.
Dad is not a typical person who can fix things, he tries, really hard so when he heads to the hardware store, others try to stop in to call in the professionals.
He tries to not fail but when the hot water stops and mom has called the plumber and he knows what the problem is in the pipe, just not where, she asks Dad to find it for them so it can be fi
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Exhaust(ed): The 99% True Story of a Bus Trip Gone Wrong.
  • Quest and Crew (Quest and Crew #1)
  • Ship for Brains
  • Bumfuzzle - Just out looking for Pirates
  • Yellow Green Beret Vol. I: Stories of an Asian-American Stumbling Around U.S. Army Special Forces
  • Working on Yourself Doesn't Work: The 3 Simple Ideas That Will Instantaneously Transform Your Life
  • Rhubarb
  • The Difficult Second Book
  • Employee Engagement 2.0: How to Motivate Your Team for High Performance (a Real-World Guide for Busy Managers)
  • For Fukui's Sake: Two Years In Rural Japan
  • Elvis and the Memphis Mafia
  • Alan Turing: The Enigma Man
  • The Essential Deming: Leadership Principles from the Father of Quality
  • The Cat Manual
Award-winning author Barbara Venkataraman is an attorney and mediator specializing in family law. Her works include: "The Fight for Magicallus", a children's fantasy; "If you'd Just Listened to Me in the First Place", a humorous short story; and three books of humorous essays: "I'm Not Talking about You, Of Course," "A Trip to the Hardware Store & Other Calamities," and "A Smidge of Crazy", fr ...more

Quirky Essays for Quirky People (2 books)
  • I'm Not Talking About You, Of Course... (Quirky Essays for Quirky People #1)