Start by marking “Donna Parker in Hollywood” as Want to Read:
Donna Parker in Hollywood

Donna Parker in Hollywood

(Donna Parker #5)

Description not available.
Published by Whitman Publishing (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Donna Parker in Hollywood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Donna Parker in Hollywood

Start your review of Donna Parker in Hollywood
Susann
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The salmon pink cover of this grinned up at me as I was scanning the Faulkners and Hemingways on my host's bookshelves last weekend. I'd never read a Donna Parker (DP) before, and I can't say that I'm going to seek out the rest of the series, but it was still a lucky find during a weekend trip.

The cover image makes it look as if it were 'Donna Parker in Hawaii,' but whatever. Within the first 20 pages, Donna had taught me that I should refrain from eating what my brother does, in order to watch
Roberta
Apr 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I read the whole Donna Parker series, this was my favorite. I think that's because my original reading of this book coincided with my first trip to New Mexico to visit relatives. I felt that Donna and I had parallel lives. We were both about the same age (I was 12) and we were both visiting exotic new locations on own our without our families. New Mexico was to me what California was to Donna, a land of enchantment. Of course, that was long before the internet and satellite tv and those ...more
Betsy
Sep 13, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I owned all these books as a child, and have kept them into adulthood, even though I find Donna annoyingly prissy and occasionally smug, and her parents extraordinarily annoying. But this was one of my favorites of the series.
Susan Liston
ha, haven't read this in SOOOO many years, but I used it reread it all the time. What was especially interesting about this now, was Donna's 1961 visit to Los Angeles...Farmer's Market pre-The Grove...."lemons as big as grapefruit! " Pacific Ocean Park..(on the skids then closed before I was old enough to go) Olvera Street, where "the waitresses have names like Rosita and Teresa! So Spanish sounding!" (although New Yorker Donna is afraid to try "spicy Mexican food") I have always wondered why au ...more
Brittanee
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng356
Donna Parker is just the sweetest girl. I liked this book. It was quick and easy and fun. It was more of a mystery than a romance.. Which is okay but I was hoping for a romance.

I would recommend this book to YA girls because it shows how the girls used to be when they were all proper and elegant. :) very fun and sweet.

Language: none
Sex: none
Violence: none
Drugs: none
Donnell
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. There's a plot that holds one's attention, some intriguing mysteries and light, but not paper thin, characters.

A total time trip to Los Angeles circa 1961--complete with pumping oil wells along Wilshire Blvd. as well as several billboards advertising cemetery plots. Ah, how times have changed.

**Spoiler Alert!!**

This book is also notable as possibly being one of the first times a paparazzi appears in literature. Of course the photographer here is not ca
Lynne Biberdorf
This is the first book I ever bought, with babysitting money I had just earned, so it was a pivotal book and memory. I bought and read all the Donna Parker books that were available to me and enjoyed them all. (I can see why they are mostly no longer in print as they were a little dated and too wholesome to be believed. I kept the, for my daughter, who also read them, and only surrendered them to a charity shop when they were dog eared and falling apart during our last move. I finally felt I had ...more
Kim
Apr 04, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Donna is so horribly judgmental in this book - more than usual, anyway. I really didn’t enjoy much of it, which is sad for wish-fulfillment fiction. I’ll be keeping it as part of the set, but I’m not sure I’ll read it again.
Scarlett Perry
This book was very interesting...it was in all a good book but very unrealistic for our time period. I would never give this book to a young adult and tell them that this is reality, because in a way its almost fiction. This book is about young girl, named Donna Parker, who just finished Junior high and because she got all A's she gets to fly out to california to stay with her Uncle. Of course she meets a super hot guy on her flight and the rest is history.

I don't think I would ever recommend t
Madeleine Sherratt
"Donna Parker in Hollywood" is about as interesting as a book written about a 14 year old in the late fifties could be. Very little heroism, very little surprise, and very little girl-power. In fact, Donna herself is a bit self-righteous and downright dim-witted. The dialogue was a bit unbearable and the character, including Donna, were so unbelievable, but it was written over almost 60 years ago, so I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt.

I suppose this would be a fun read for an older ch
Maddy
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: donated-to-a-lfl
Quick read, cute little (kinda boring) mystery, and some 1960s garbage, mostly centring on the 13 year old girl protagonist (? she just graduated middle school) dieting and worrying about her "figure". Also some shaming of Hollywood women for plastic surgery while simultaneously shaming another 13 year old for not caring about her appearance and only ever wearing shorts. There's a fine line between slob and whore, ladies, and don't you fuck it up!!

Less garbage but more dated and funny: (a) mid-c
Toni Wyatt
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the last word of this book, I found inscribed in my copy, "This is a very good book." The handwriting was small and looked as if it had taken great concentration to make each and every letter perfect. Is there any better endorsement of a book meant to capture the imaginations and hearts of young girls on the edge of adolescence? I don't think so. At least not from an author's point of view.

Donna Parker is a young girl who has just graduated from middle school. As a symbolic step into youn
Jessica Novak
May 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-8-15
I read this book solely because it was required for class and boy, it was awful. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, but if I had to it would be to middle schooler's or children who aren't the strongest readers. The text is big and it's an easy read. If I was trying to get someone interested in reading, this is definitely not the book I would choose. The language isn't really what you would here today-no one says "golly" anymore (unless they're an old person). The plot isn't very exciting eithe ...more
Janet
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this whole series as a young girl. My daddy brought home the first one for me to read when I was in about 4th grade and home sick from school. It was the first "big" book I remember reading and I was hooked on reading from that point on!

Melodie
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did so love these books when I was a kid!! I remember buying them for $.59 at Kresge's when I had money or asking for them for Christmas. Man, were things a LOT simpler then! ...more
Suzi
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMGSH!!!!!! Total Throwback....Read this in the 5th grade. Loved it...started my love of reading.
Wendy
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sigh. I loved the Donna Parker books!
Sam Mosqueda
I mean, it was really entertaining, but it's certainly not life altering.

Warnings:
Internalized misogyny
It's kinda like being in the twilight zone to read it
Laura Langston
I read all the Donna Parker books when I was a kid, and I loved them. But I think this was one of my favorites.
Freyja Vanadis
Again, another Donna Parker book that makes her look shallow, clueless, and hateful when it comes to other people's feelings. ...more
Anne
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic! My sister got a copy so we could reread it, I need to work on my beach book report/diaorama. Life was much simpler then! Enjoyed it 50 years later.
Karin
Aimee
Feb 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • Caddie Woodlawn (Caddie Woodlawn, #1)
  • Strange Planet (Strange Planet #1)
  • Hello from the Gillespies
  • The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7)
  • Charleston
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
  • Think Twice (Rosato & Associates, #11)
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • Late Migrations: A Natural History of Love and Loss
  • Black-Eyed Susans
  • Max the Mighty (Freak The Mighty #2)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • The Lifeboat
  • Mission Flats
  • The Cat Who Came Back for Christmas- How a Cat Brought a Family the Gift of Love
  • The Shade of the Moon (Last Survivors, #4)
Pen name of Marcia Lauter Obrasky Levin.

A popular children's book author, creator of the Donna Parker series, 22 books for beginning readers, and some of the first enrichment text books in the "New Mathematics". She was born and raised in Philadelphia, and lived in Rye, New York for 56 years.

Donna Parker (7 books)
  • Donna Parker at Cherrydale (Donna Parker, #1)
  • Donna Parker, Special Agent (Donna Parker, #2)
  • Donna Parker On Her Own (Donna Parker, #3)
  • Donna Parker: A Spring to Remember (Donna Parker, #4)
  • Donna Parker: Mystery at Arawak (Donna Parker, #6)
  • Donna Parker Takes a Giant Step (Donna Parker, #7)