Start by marking “Re-Birth” as Want to Read:
Re-Birth

Re-Birth

Published 1965 by Ballentine

To ask other readers questions about Re-Birth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Re-Birth

Start your review of Re-Birth
TC
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wyndham is so criminally under-appreciated, especially outside of Great Britain, in spite of two well-regarded movies--Village of the Damned and Day of the Triffids--being made from his works.

He is stylish, with a great vocabulary, writes children very well, and captures aspects of the zeitgeist of his age with books that are quite different from one another. Wyndham is a must-read for people who who want to consider themselves knowledgeable about the masters of science fiction.
Dave Creek
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
John Wyndham is probably best known for his books THE MIDWICH CUCKOOS and THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS, but I consider RE-BIRTH an undeservedly forgotten classic (it was also released under the title THE CHRYSALIDS).

This is one of those books you give that friend who "doesn't like science fiction." It's one of the earliest post-apocalyptic SF novels, but won me over again even though I've tired of most such stories.

This tale of the dangers of blind religious fervor that creates a culture of
Roger Stewart
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of those Golden Age science fiction classics I somehow never got around to reading when I was a kid but have gone back and read recently. It stands out as a very well-written and convincing story with nicely drawn characters. This edition also has the advantage of being concise and fast-moving. (I understand the British edition -- called The Chrysalids -- is longer.) It is a post-apocalyptic story; and because it was written during the Cold War, the long-past apocalypse was a nuclear ...more
Steve Rainwater
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I bought this in a used book store thinking I'd discovered a previously unknown John Wyndham novel. Nope.

Within a few pages, I realized I was reading The Chrysalids, which I've previously read. For some inexplicable reason this 1965 Ballantine edition of the book has been re-titled with the name "Re-Birth". I went ahead and read the book again anyway as it's a fairly enjoyable novel.

The story concerns a group of telepathic children growing up in a post-apocalyptic society run by fundamentalist
Samuel Lubell
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Very early post-disaster sf. Nuclear war has destroyed civilization. What's left of humanity struggles to maintain pure forms of humanity, animals, and plants in the face of mutants (anyone or anything that deviates from the pure is to be killed.) But David, his sister and his friends are telepaths who look perfectly pure and no one knows they are deviants. I found some interesting ideas here that would be developed more effectively by other authors. But this is fairly typical "In Hiding" ...more
Devin
rated it did not like it
Mar 30, 2017

• Regiments of Night
  • Time Tunnel
  • Dr. Futurity
  • Второе нашествие марсиан
John Wyndham Parkes Lucas Beynon Harris was the son of a barrister. After trying a number of careers, including farming, law, commercial art and advertising, he started writing short stories in 1925. After serving in the civil Service and the Army during the war, he went back to writing. Adopting the name John Wyndham, he started writing a form of science fiction that he called 'logical fantasy'. ...more