Start by marking “Dark Water (Wild Water, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dark Water (Wild Water, #2)

Dark Water

(Wild Water #2)

Part Two of Wild Water
The tragedy and comedy that is Jack's life; is there a future for him and Anna, or is the past too destructive?
Jack Redman, estate agent to the Cheshire set and skilled juggler of complex relationships. Someone to break all the rules, or an unlikely hero?
In this sequel to Wild Water Jack and Anna return to discover that history repeats itself. Anna's
Published (first published July 5th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Water

Alison
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved Jan Ruth’s ‘Wild Water’, the first book in this series, and was really looking forward to re-joining Jack Redman and following more of his trials and tribulations. I had high hopes, and I wasn’t disappointed.
The story begins with Jack once again trying to please everybody, to do the right thing, and failing. Torn between being with Anna, whose independent nature prevents her from committing, and trying to do the right thing for his children, Jack unwillingly creates a situation that jeop
Hannah Symonds
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You have to read the first book which is called Wild Water to understand and know the characters, I was so glad to read the next part of Jack's story. I got a sense right from the start that things weren't looking very good for Jack and his family, he is torn between Anna and his children but which will he choose. I still found Patsy horrible some of the things she does is awful. I was so intrigued by what would happen I read this book in a day. It was brilliant.
Bernadette Robinson
My oh my. Just as Jack Redman thought things were going well for him, his life begins to disintegrate before his eyes. With spending most of his time in Cheshire, he only has the weekends usually in Wales when he goes home to Anna. The descriptions of the Welsh countryside make you feel like you're there and it's plain to see that it's a place dear to Jan Ruth's heart.

Jack is a successful estate agent and has a nice stable relationship with Anna, but sadly the status quo doesn't last long. Histo
Sarah Greenwood
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goes down as another off my 2016 Bookworm Bingo Challenge – a book with water on the cover. So many twists and turns that will have you guessing throughout at what will happen next and why certain people are acting the way they are.

The author has the ability to take you on a journey along with the characters, a skill of a good piece of writing. Nothing feels rushed. It just flows at a believable pace where you can imagine things happening.

Poor old Jack, he does tend to make all the wrongs decisi
Jo Barton
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jack Redman, estate agent to the smart Cheshire set, should be living the life of his dreams in North Wales with his partner Anna. But his commute from the leafy suburbs of Wilmslow, to the rural bliss of Gwern farm on the outskirts of Conwy, is fraught with anxiety. Caught between a rock and hard place, Jack struggles to organize a life which is made all the more complicated by his increasingly demanding ex-wife Patsy, his precocious daughter Lottie, and the uncertain paternity of two of his ch ...more
Jenny Lloyd
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Men and women who like an intelligent read.
My review of Dark Water by Jan Ruth.
Secrets from the past, untold truths, are about to catch up with Jack Redman in the form of nutter, Simon Banks, who wants to help himself to a large slice of Jack’s life. Simon doesn’t need to do much to get it – he just has to spill the beans. He’s relying on his old lover, Patsy, who will do pretty much anything for money, to help him do it.

You know how it is when the most important decisions (the one’s that might, just might, fuck up your life if you get
Shani Struthers
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You know what it's like, you've got a load of books to pile through, you look forward to starting them but book after book just doesn't grab you. When that happens I need a break. And for that break I go to Jan Ruth - this is the fourth book of hers I've read and I know one thing when I turn that first page, I'm going to love it! Jan's style of writing is fluid and easy to read, the stories are cracking and the characters ones you come to care about. It's all very real - the people, the settings ...more
Elizabeth Lloyd
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dark Water is the sequel to Jan Ruth’s roller-coaster family drama, Wild Water. Once again Jack, 40 something estate agent, with 4 children and his expensive ex-wife, Patsy, to support, is juggling work, family life and miles of driving. He should, however, be much happier now that he is together with his first love, Anna, spending weekends at her farmhouse in north Wales.

But the title of the book begins to be fulfilled when Simon Banks, oddball father of Patsy’s first child comes back into thei
Valerie Poore
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the second in the series of books about the complicated life of Jack Redman, I am happy to report that it was even better than the first. I love these books for all sorts of reasons, not least of which is the wonderful setting in and around Conwy in north Wales, an area I just adore. Other reasons are the heart wrenching realism of the predicaments and emotions that beset poor Jack and his girlfriend Anna. Then there is the brilliant characterisation of some of the other characters, most nota ...more
Eleri
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Seamless, Jack is back, as if he never left :) Hard to believe it was a few years ago I read Wild Water, I was instantly back with the characters, who in all honesty I probably hadn't fully left behind anyway.
It's even harder to believe these characters actually only exist in Ms Ruth's imagination and that it's fifteen years since she created them in Wild Water! They are colourful and alive and jumping out of the page - they must have been waiting there for her to write them another book.
I loved
Alex Martin
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Oh Jack, Jack. I could wring your neck sometimes! When I started reading Dark Water I wondered why he was so cross all the time when life had panned out quite well for him, living part time with the delectable Anna. It was almost as if the drama was foreshadowed by his mood before it happened. Despite my annoyance with his short fuse, his big heart drew me in and I was rooting for him all the way. The self serving Patsy also irritates but Ms Ruth has the gift of letting you inside the heads of t
Rosie Amber
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dark Water is a contemporary read and the sequel to Wild Water. It takes place approximately three years after the first book and continues with the complicated life of Jack Redman. Owner of Redman Estate agents. He has three children, an ex-wife, a new partner and a whole handful of problems.

Juggling far too many balls in the air at once and attempts to work only part-time are failing badly. Jack tries very hard to please everyone and his life spirals out of control.

This book definitely has a d
Lesley Hughes
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful to be reacquainted with Jack and his dysfunctional but (mostly) endearing extended family again. All are a few years older but not necessarily any wiser...thankfully! Love's path is bumpier than ever thanks to some ill-judged but well-meant decisions from Jack. But he's not the only culprit...both his ex-wife Patsy and lover Anna engage in distinctly dodgy behaviour triggered by the unwelcome reappearance of figure from all their pasts...an increasingly menacing presence which turns th ...more
Grace
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second instalment in the gripping tale of Jack Redman – an attractive, middle-aged man, struggling to do right by all the people he loves. Jan has the enviable knack of writing cleverly and concisely – evoking real emotion in the imagination of the reader rather than spelling everything out. This brings the complex and appealing characters to life, as they are revealed through their interactions, meaning they stay with you long after you have put the book down. There are some dark mo ...more
Lorraine Pestell
The second book in the Wild Water series is every bit as good as the first, and it was nice to recognise these very believable characters as old friends. Everything should be so perfect for Jack and Anna, and yet it's not!

The intertwined stories run along very cleverly, weaving each character in and out. Each twist seems at first outrageous, until we find out how easily it could happen to any one of us.

I did not anticipate the ending at all - a great segue into "Silent Water". Do I wait a while
Hayley Bardsley
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this on my kindle when I was looking for something new to read I must of bought it over a year ago. Upon starting I found myself thinking why have I left it this long before reading. Jan Ruth has created some great characters in this book and everything she has written about is real and enables people to relate to it.
Joy
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great follow on to Jack, Anna & Patsys story. Another great read.
LindyLouMac
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I must start with an admission that when I picked this novel up to read a few weeks ago I was under the impression that I had already reviewed Wild Water to which this is a sequel. Unfortunately it seems I never did. Having read it in 2013 not a good year for me, I must have got distracted so I must apologise to the author who had kindly supplied me with a copy for my Kindle. I read the sequel as a paperback edition and I will admit to still preferring a book in my hands. Do not get me wrong th ...more
Pauline Barclay
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dark is the word here and Jan Ruth has delivered a stunning sequel to Wild Water. There is to be a follow on from Dark Water and I can not wait. I have read all Jan's books and all are great reads. No pressure Ms Ruth but more soon, please!
LindyLouMac
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Kathryn Guare
Jeanne
Nov 07, 2015
Suzanne Rogerson
Jun 28, 2016
Jan Ruth lives in Snowdonia, a mountainous area of North Wales, UK. Jan writes contemporary fiction about the darker side of the family dynamic, often blending life in rural Wales with a touch of city business. Her style is best described as fast-paced and realistic, with a sprinkling of dry humour.

The real story began at school, with prizes for short stories and poetry. She failed all things math

Wild Water (2 books)
  • Wild Water (The Wild Water Series: #1)