Start by marking “Waking Maya” as Want to Read:
Waking Maya

Waking Maya

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  132 ratings  ·  22 reviews
When recent college graduate Maya Burke starts digging around in her backyard, her shovel clinks on something beneath the ground: a metal box. Inside it is an old journal. Its writer, she discovers, was her father, a man who vanished mysteriously when Maya was an infant.

As she reads through the brittle pages, his story is revealed — as is hers — but there's far more to thi
Published January 2nd 2014 (first published January 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Waking Maya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waking Maya

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Waking Maya
Angel
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enlightening and entertaining
Mystery, adventure, espionage, romance…what’s not to like? Goldie takes you on an unforgettable journey not only across the country and back but inside your mind to dark and bright places, to the spiritual and the down-to-earth. The book starts in a young woman’s backyard and ventures into love relationships, dysfunctional families, spiritual journeys, good and evil, and explores the meaning of life.

The author’s thoughtful attention to details made the characters fe
Diana
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you are feeling a bit anxious listening to the news and you are looking for a light, mind-expanding read, buy this book. If you are looking for a book a young teen might sink into, buy this book. If you are looking to spark conversation between you and your kids, have a read. This is a book that won't traumatize anyone and will open your mind a bit.
Amy Spitzfaden
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a twenty-something millennial, I can relate to most of the mainstream media characters thrown my way (She sings and dances around her apartment when she’s alone? I sing and dance around my apartment when I’m alone!). But what Warren Goldie does with the main character of Waking Maya goes well beyond the realm of appealing quirks and sympathetic flaws to a place where the deepest, most profound desires of humanity exist. In this novel, we travel with Maya across the country as she navigates an ...more
Lori
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy read for a day too cold to go out and do anything else! The story/mystery was appealing...helping a girl connect to a father she never knew and understand the career that took him away from her. The deeper content was mystifying and intriguingly thought-provoking regarding synchronicity, meditation, energy sources, intentions and discovering YOUR bigger picture in life!

Descriptions of the mind as "her wolf" were helpful. As we try to calm/quiet the mind, it is the wolf who is "hard at work
Katie
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read for anyone on a spiritual journey! Waking Maya explores many parts of spirituality and portrays a vivid picture of Maya's life, that I can easily see as becoming a great motion picture. The story begins quickly and it took me a few chapters to get into it, but by the time I was about two-thirds through the book, it was hard to put down. Now it has been over a month since I finished this book and some of the concepts continue to stick with me.
pamela jones
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
An Intellectual And Spiritual Awakening

The story of Maya gives one thought into the reality and power of the human mind. God reveals to mankind in the Bible the immense power that he has given his creation, if only we would let go, believe and have faith. Goldie again reminds us of that power. Excellent narrative that one can personally relate to if one could let go and leave logic and reason in the foreground of one's thinking.
Shelly Gross
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. What a journey. Trust me.
Susan M B
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I Love Waking Maya. The book has it all: believable protagonists and antagonists, an interesting premise, suspense and an intriguing plot. The titular character, Maya, is likable, human and knowable. I felt like I was accompanying her on her journey. I cared about her immediately and was invested in discovering what happened to her. I was drawn in and captivated by the author’s words in Maya’s voice.
I too would welcome a sequel or second work.
Jeanne Johnston
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Good story that echoes a lot of my preoccupations, though it drove me nuts when editing goofs popped up. Biggest peeve? What's the plural of vortex? If you said "vortices," you'd be right... but that word doesn't appear once in the whole book. Gah!
Linda
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing story and thought provoking.
Margaret Duarte
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Waking Maya is an excellent example of Visionary Fiction, in which growth of consciousness is the central theme. The chapter titles alone hint to the fact that this book evokes thought as well as entertains. "The In-Between Time; The Inner Medium; Body Consciousness; The Message of the Trees." Are the sweeping cultural changes happening in our world and the rapid growth in social awareness random? Or are we a race that is searching, using the powerful tool of the mind? The book examines these ma ...more
Leena Maria
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a fascinating book - though if you are not familiar with the concepts of meditation, remote viewing, remote influencing and probable futures, you may be a bit baffled. And so there is the necessity of long explanations of the spiritual laws. If the reader is then looking for a quick and fast-paced adventure, they may lose patience. But then again - I don't think such a reader would even read this book. I noticed this book is best read without hurry. This way the story "sinks in" better. ...more
D. Thrush
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I was very intrigued by this story and couldn’t wait to read it, however, it didn’t quite grab me as I thought it would. Maya goes searching for the father she never knew after finding his journal. She discovers he was involved in a secret government program using physic visions, telepathy, and the power of energy vortexes and was driven into hiding. Her quest becomes a spiritual journey as she tries to sort out who to believe and what happened to her mysterious father. Maya was not a compelling ...more
M.R. Neer
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Seeing Beyond the Veil of Illusion
What a story! The title tells it all -- it is a way for all of us to wake up from our illusion of the world (maya means illusion)! Through the eyes of 20-year-old Maya Burke, we are transported inward to our own calm, still center and led to discover how it's connected to life itself. Goldie shows how, working at that level through mind and vortexes, the world is being transformed to a bright potential future. A book that will shake your foundations and stir you
Ashraf Karayath
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved reading this book, and there were moments I couldn’t put it down. It makes you think and helps you connect with your deep metaphysical side, which you usually don’t dare to open up. This is definitely a trigger that helps you explore your adventurous and spiritual side of life, giving you enough courage to go beyond the mundane world, which could push you to your long awaited mythical journey. We rarely find books that is so philosophical and spiritual, and yet very eventful.
Elina Greiff
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Highly recommend!

I really enjoyed this book. The story line was very interesting and I found the messages embedded in the storyline to be really true and fascinating. I would recommend the book to others.
Vicki Scullion
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
I liked the premise of tapping into the collective consciousness to make the world a better place. Unfortunately, I found the main characters to be tedious and unlikeable. The science descriptions were repetitive and unconvincing. I would give this one a pass.
Elizabeth Morgan
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enlightening and Interesting

I loved this book as well as the philosophy of it, truly worth a read especially if you are interested in the collective consciousness, meditation and world peace.
Nancy Schober
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
waaay cool book. so positive about the future. this was my cup of tea
Beth
Oct 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Truly one of my all time least favorite reading experiences. Don't walk, run away from this title
Holly Takatsuka
Feb 09, 2016
Shobhana
Jan 26, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Marathon Watch: Ross (Marathon #1)
  • The Greek Persuasion: A Novel
  • Versions of Her
  • Between Will and Surrender (Enter the Between Visionary Fiction Series #1)
  • Between Darkness and Dawn: A paranormal adventure of personal growth and transformation (Enter the Between Visionary Fiction Series, Book 2)
  • Ask and It Is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires
  • Between Yesterday and Tomorrow (Enter the Between Visionary Fiction Series, Book 3)
  • Monique
  • Highland Retribution (The Band of Cousins #3)
  • Sparking Sara (Men on Fire #2)
  • A Thing of Dark Imaginings
  • Cowboy Boots for Christmas: Cowboy Not Included (Burnt Boot, Texas, #1)
  • Croak, Monsieur! (Stranded in Provence #5)
  • Three Years in the Federal Cavalry
  • Witch Way To Spellbinder Bay (Spellbinder Bay, #1)
  • The Rebirth of a Peculiar Lady
  • Swimming Upstream (Raja Williams #3)
  • Guns Along the Lost Canyon
Warren Goldie was born in Brooklyn, New York and has worked as a business and entertainment writer for 25 years. His essays have appeared in magazines, weeklies and dailies. He has worked in Hollywood for Steven Spielberg and was a screenplay analyst.

The son of a Holocaust survivor, Goldie is drawn to exploring existential themes and is fascinated by the study and experience of states of consciou