Jump to ratings and reviews

Sookie Stackhouse #World

Dead But Not Forgotten: Stories from the World of Sookie Stackhouse

Charlaine Harris' smash-hit Sookie Stackhouse series may have reached its conclusion, but the world of Bon Temps, Louisiana, lives on in this all-new collection of 15 stories. Written by a killer lineup of authors, including New York Times best-sellers Rachel Caine, MaryJanice Davidson, Jonathan Maberry and Seanan McGuire, and with introductions read by Charlaine herself, Dead but Not Forgotten puts your favorite characters center stage.

The stories included in Dead but Not Forgotten are:

"Nobody's Business" by Rachel Caine (featuring Kevin Pryor & Kenya Jones)
"Tyger, Tyger" by Christopher Golden (featuring Quinn)
"The Real Santa Claus" by Leigh Perry (featuring Diantha)
"Taproot" by Jeffrey J. Mariotte (featuring Andy Bellefleur)
"Knit a Sweater Out of Sky" by Seanan McGuire (featuring Amelia)
"Love Story" by Jeanne C. Stein (featuring Adele Hale Stackhouse)
"The Million-Dollar Hunt" by Jonathan Maberry (featuring Mustapha Khan)
"Borderline Dead" by Nicole Peeler (featuring Desiree Dumas)
"Extreme Makeover Vamp Edition" by Leigh Evans (featuring Bev & Todd)
"Don't Be Cruel" by Bill Crider (featuring Bubba)
"What a Dream I Had" by Nancy Holder (featuring Alcide Herveaux)
"Another Dead Fairy" by Miranda James (featuring Claude & Claudia Crane)
"The Bat-Signal" by Suzanne McLeod (featuring Luna)
"The Sun, The Moon, and The Stars" by Dana Cameron (featuring Pam Ravenscroft)
"Widower's Walk" by MaryJanice Davidson (featuring Eric Northman)

Dead but Not Forgotten was edited by Charlaine Harris and Toni L.P. Kelner.

©2014 Charlaine Harris, Inc. (P)2014 Audible, Inc.

352 pages, Kindle Edition

First published May 13, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Charlaine Harris

304 books35.2k followers
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry and plays. After holding down some low-level jobs, her husband Hal gave her the opportunity to stay home and write. The resulting two stand-alones were published by Houghton Mifflin. After a child-producing sabbatical, Charlaine latched on to the trend of series, and soon had her own traditional mystery books about a Georgia librarian, Aurora Teagarden. Her first Teagarden, Real Murders, garnered an Agatha nomination.

Soon Charlaine was looking for another challenge, and the result was the much darker Lily Bard series. The books, set in Shakespeare, Arkansas, feature a heroine who has survived a terrible attack and is learning to live with its consequences.

When Charlaine began to realize that neither of those series was ever going to set the literary world on fire, she regrouped and decided to write the book she’d always wanted to write. Not a traditional mystery, nor yet pure science fiction or romance, Dead Until Dark broke genre boundaries to appeal to a wide audience of people who simply enjoy a good adventure. Each subsequent book about Sookie Stackhouse, telepathic Louisiana barmaid and friend to vampires, werewolves, and various other odd creatures, was very successful in many languages.

The Harper Connelly books were written concurrently with the Sookie novels.

Following the end of Sookie's recorded adventures, Charlaine wrote the "Midnight, Texas" books, which have become a television series, also. The Aurora Teagarden books have been adapted by Hallmark Movie & Mystery.

Charlaine is a member of many professional organizations, an Episcopalian, and currently the lucky houseparent to two rescue dogs. She lives on a cliff overlooking the Brazos River.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
299 (10%)
1 star
80 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 315 reviews
Profile Image for Suzanne McLeod.
Author 14 books378 followers
January 10, 2015
I'm delighted and honoured to have a story in this one - The Bat-Signal - about Luna, a character I've always be fascinated with (hey, who wouldn't want to be a werebat and fly! :-D), where she's searching for a missing teen, and gets some unexpected help when she runs into Hunter and Remy Savoy. I loved writing the story, and had a lot of fun doing so. I hope everyone who reads it enjoys it as much! But the star rating isn't for my story (that's up to other readers :-)) but but for all the other wonderful tales in the anthology.

The stories are all great! I devoured them all, and loved seeing the Sookieverse from lots of the other characters' perspectives. My top four are The Real Santa Claus by Leigh Perry - such a fun story about Diantha set (unsurprisingly) at Christmas time. Borderline Dead by Nicole Peeler - a great story about Desiree Dumas, an ex-worker from The Bat's Wing bar, and some shifter/vamp shenanigans she gets involved in. Extreme Make Over Vamp Edition by Leigh Evans about Todd and Bev, the fashionista hosts of the makeover show, which combines gentle sweet emotions with laugh-out-loud moments. And last but not least The Sun, the Moon, and the Stars by Dana Cameron about Pam! Set in Pam's past, Pam is uniquely herself and her tale is absolutely brilliant!
Profile Image for Ang from OZ.
192 reviews12 followers
May 16, 2014
And so it has come to this....

Will this shit never end?
Profile Image for Ashley.
966 reviews29 followers
November 29, 2014
I didn't know what to expect with Dead But Not Forgotten since I wasn't a huge fan of the way the series ended, but I've got to say I really enjoyed it.

Nobody's Business - 4 Stars
by Rachel Caine
I'm a fan of Rachel Caine's, so I was looking forward to this one. About Kevin and Kenya, I thought it had the voice and feel of the Sookie books and really enjoyed it.

Tyger, Tyger - 4.5 Stars
by Christopher Golden
Quinn has a horrible day that goes from bad to worse. I didn't know if I'd like this one since I wasn't a Quinn fan, but it was really interesting and held my attention.

The Real Santa Clause - 3.75 Stars
by Leigh Perry
From Diantha's point of view, she and Mr. Cataliades check in on Sookie during Christmastime. Diantha's tasked by the lawyer to help make the holiday better for Sookie. It was really amusing to see inside Diantha's mind and to have a story from her point of view.

Taproot - 3 Stars
by Jeffrey J. Mariotte
Taproot features Andy and a woman from his past. This was not one of my favorite stories. The first part was a bit boring, but it did pick up towards the end.

Knit a Sweater Out of Sky - 4.5 Stars
by Seanan McGuire
I'm a huge McGuire fan, so I was most looking forward to her story and let me say, it did not disappoint. Amelia, the witch, is doing what she does best - causing all kinds of magical trouble, while her boyfriend Bob tries his best to keep her out of too much trouble. It was really exciting and I just wanted the story to keep on going. Plus, I loved how the title tied in with the story, very clever!

Love Story - 5 Stars
by Jeanne C. Stein
From the pages of Adele's journal, Love Story tells the tale of how Sookie's Grandmother meets Fintan. It was very intriguing and I found myself totally engrossed. When it ended, I wanted to read the rest of Adele's journal.

The Million Dollar Hunt - 2.5 Stars
by Jonathan Maberry
Mustapha joins a reality competition show (vaguely reminiscent of the Hunger Games) featuring all kinds of weres. It was hard for me to get into this story. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

Borderline Dead - 3 Stars
by Nicole Peeler
I've read Peeler's Jane True series, so I was very interested to read this story. About Desiree Dumas, who I don't really remember, Borderline Dead was okay, not the best, but not the worst.

Extreme Makeover: Vamp Edition - 5 Stars
by Leigh Evans
Reality TV show hosts, Bev and Todd, are tasked by Eric Northman to makeover the recluse of Vicksburg. I had a lot of fun reading this story and would love to read more of Bev and Todd's makeover adventures.

Don't Be Cruel - 4 Stars
by Bill Crider
Don't Be Cruel features Bubba as the main character. I was always excited when Bubba would show up, so this story was a treat.

What a Dream I Had - 4 Stars
by Nancy Holder
This story goes back in time to when Alcide was in high school, to his disastrous prom night. I enjoyed getting to know a little bit about Alcide's past.

Another Dead Fairy - 3.5 Stars
by Miranda James
Claude and Claudine look into the disappearance of cousin Seamus. I always liked the fairies, so it was nice to read more about them.

The Bat Signal - 4.5 Stars
by Suzanne McLeod
Luna Garza, werebat and undercover operative, visits Bon Temps to search for a missing teen. She has an unexpected encounter with Hunter and Remy that helps her with her mission. Another really good addition to the anthology, I loved getting to read about Hunter and Remy again.

The Sun, the Moon, and the Stars - 4 Stars
by Dana Cameron
I was super excited to get a Pam story, so when I found out it tells of how she became a vampire and meeting Eric, I was doubly excited.

Widower's Walk - 4.5 Stars
by MaryJanice Davidson
An Eric story that takes place in the far future?... Um... Yes, please!!! I loved it, but that's really not such a surprise since I've always been Team Eric.

All in all, Dead But Not Forgotten was an awesome collection of stories. If you have ever been a Sookie fan, I'd say go pick up a copy, I was not disappointed!
Profile Image for Rachel Tsoumbakos.
Author 43 books104 followers
June 19, 2014
So I have lightened the load of book reviews I am doing this year, but this is a book I just couldn't turn down! When Audible offered me the chance to try the latest book set in the Sookieverse, I didn't balk at the fact that I had never read an audio book before, but jumped at the opportunity to see Sookie's world through eyes other than her original creator, Charlaine Harris! (And for those of you who have never read an Audio book before: if you have an Amazon account and a smart phone, you can hook up your Amazon account to Audible and download the Audible app and you are ready to roll! For fitness junkies, you can now run and read AT THE SAME TIME! So much love for my new reading regime.)

And what a treat this book is. Now I know a lot of fans are pissy at how Charlaine Harris ended the Southern Vampire Mysteries series - so much so that my review of the final book, Dead Ever After, is still one of my largest viewed reviews on this blog - but please, please, PLEASE give this book a chance! Dead But Not Forgotten is written entirely by authors other than Charlaine Harris. Yes, Harris has edited the novel, but the work is still each author's creation.

And what a delicious blend there is. Not only do we get to see the world through the eyes of some of the big players in Sookie Stackhouse's world; Alcide, Eric Northman, Pam - but we get welcomed into the lives of the smaller players too - and this is where the magic occurs.

While I was excited to see stories dedicated to Eric and Pam, it was the stories of Bubba, Diantha, Kevin & Kenya and Bev & Todd that really made my day. Each story is fantastically written as well as woven seductively around the other main characters in Bon Temps and Shreveport.

Overall I am giving Dead But Not Forgotten (Edited by Charlaine Harris) 5 out of 5 stars
Profile Image for Laura.
1,137 reviews43 followers
October 1, 2014
Ask me why I am going to read this when she is just milking this series for all it's worth?

Because I'm a completist...damnit.
Profile Image for Ivy.
1,482 reviews77 followers
May 25, 2015
Overall seemed to be a good book. Would recommend to fans of the Sookie Stackhouse novels and the vampire genre. I checked this book out because it had a short story written by one of my favorite authors, Seanan McGuire.
Profile Image for Sophia.
Author 5 books344 followers
February 7, 2017
I finished the Sookie Stackhouse series and thought that was that, but then I happened upon this book. At first, I didn't realize exactly what it was. I thought it was an antho of Sookie short stories, maybe even stories that had already been released so I was going to pass it up.

Pfft, that would have been my loss. Yes, these were short stories from the world of Sookie Stackhouse, but they weren't previously published and they weren't even written by Charlaine Harris though they have her endorsement.

This lovely is a collection of well-written fan fiction by several best-selling published authors. Each author took a minor character and told a story. Most stories occur during the timeline of the Sookie Stackhouse series.

There are too many stories (15 in all) for me to review separately so I'll try to do the collection justice with my overall impressions.

First of all, this is an anthology written by fifteen different authors. I'm familiar with several of the authors' writing, but just as many were new to me. I enjoyed exploring the familiar with the new. The variety of writing style, tone of the story, and choice to write a variation, prequel, or sequel all worked well for me as each took a favorite character/s and gave them a new adventure.

Secondly, I was very familiar with some of the characters highlighted, but only vaguely familiar with others. This didn't really impact my level of enjoyment for the stories. I liked how mostly the stories focused on the character and their adventure. The authors, many times, answered some of the remaining questions about a character or gave them more of a background. Not a lot of romance yet there was some.

Thirdly, the focus is fully on the minor characters who got their place in the spotlight, but many of the stories brought in main characters or minor characters who never actually crossed paths to fill in. That was always fun to encounter.

My only real niggles were a few times the story's character felt a little off from what I remember of the character as written by Charlaine Harris and there were one or two that were only moderately engaging. My list of very appealing ones is way longer than the few that were meh reads. None of the stories were dislikes.

There was a good blend of light and humorous, intense and exciting, mysteries, bittersweet and reflective. The stories all work with the original story path of the series which gives them a more authentic feel.

Standout favorites were: Nobody's Business by Rachel Caine (featuring Kevin and Kenya the Bon Temps cops), The Real Santa Clause by Leigh Perry (featuring Diantha the demon), Taproot by Jeffrey Mariotte (featuring Andy, Bon Temps detective), The Million Dollar Hunt by Jonathan Maberry (featuring Mustapha the werewolf), Don't Be Cruel by Bill Crider (featuring Bubba the vampire), Another Dead Fairy by Miranda James (Claude and Claudine the fairies).

All in all, I think fans of the series will love this fabulous collection of fan fiction. I'm not sure someone who hasn't read much of the series would get much out of this one. I think as long as the reader made it mostly through the series; they will do alright with this collection.
Profile Image for Lori.
29 reviews2 followers
July 22, 2014
Let's put it this way: This was the book that I used to discover that Audible has a "return" policy. I couldn't even bring myself to finish it. I thought, well, since Charlaine isn't writing the stories, maybe they will actually be better than the last several Sookie books. Man, was I wrong. Very uneven, a few just horrible. A few of them made me wonder if the contributing authors had even *read* the original source material. No thanks. I didn't even get through it, returned it and got my credit back. I can under no circumstances recommend that anyone bother with this.
Profile Image for Eric.
427 reviews85 followers
September 1, 2016
Oh my Jesus Christ lord in heaven, it's happening all over again!... I can't I just can't... When will it just stop.

Alright a few more words. I see the list of characters included in these all new stories and I still don't see my favorites. This is beyond ridic. This isn't even fan service anymore. The fans have stop reading it... eff it all.
Profile Image for Kylie🐾.
72 reviews48 followers
April 4, 2018
I honestly loved this book, I live for books with short stories by different authors. I will be honest there were one or two stories that threw me off but the rest of them were amazing!.
My top 3 favorites are;
Love Story by Jeanne C. Stein. Oh it was beautiful and rather interesting, it really did give me an insight to why Sookie has her gift. Adele and Fintan 🖤. I do see it as a love story although some parts are a betrayal-it’s a betrayal to me because she cheated on her loving husband Mitchell 💔but it’s a love story because this fintan gave them something they’ve always wanted. (I tried to hold back on the spoilers)

My second favorite story is Another dead fairy by Miranda James, Claude and Claudine are two badass characters and I would really love to know more about them.

Finally my third favorite story is The Bat- Signal by Suzanne McLead. I couldn’t be keep my eyes off of it. I love shapeshifters - oh my god if they existed (secretly hoping they do) I would love to shapeshift into a Raccoon😀.

I would have loved a story about Hoyt and Jessica or Jason even Godric. There’s lots of true blood characters I'm intrigued about, especially the characters that are minor.
Profile Image for Faye.
Another Dead Fairy - Miranda James - 3/5 stars
The Bat-Signal - Suzanne McLeod - 4/5 stars
The Sun, the Moon, and the Stars- Dana Cameron - 4/5 stars
Widower's Walk - MaryJanice Davidson - 5/5 stars *FAVOURITE*
Profile Image for Belen (f.k.a. La Mala ✌).
846 reviews560 followers
January 9, 2016
Tanta gente escribiendo reseñas sobre del estilo "Nunca voy a leerlo!" y se pierden de estas short stories sobre los personajes de Southern Vampire Mysteries, que son buenísimas!

Mi favorita: La de Diantha .

EN realidad, todas me gustaron . Fue muy interesante una concepción diferente de los mejores personajes de la serie de CHARLAINE HARRIS a través de la pluma de otros escritores.

description

4.5

Ojalá sigan haciendo más. Este cuerpito quiere meter las narices en la vida cotidiana de los STACKHOUSE-MERLOTTE.

description Se me van las manos, se me van. Quiero máaaaas.
Profile Image for Adele.
773 reviews21 followers
April 2, 2015
This was published fan fiction and not even very good fan fiction. Do not waste your time the way I did.
624 reviews20 followers
April 17, 2018
This is a good book of anthologies. If you liked True Blood then this is the book for you.
Profile Image for Yodamom.
2,003 reviews195 followers
January 12, 2015
A very enjoyable revisit with some of the side characters in Sookie-ville. It was wonderful to read all these different authors view points and personalities. Fresh exciting and it felt new.
Profile Image for Julie.
735 reviews11 followers
May 7, 2019
I think it's been so long since I read the Sookie Stackhouse books, this was less appealing than it might have been a few years ago. Also I forgot which plots were on the show True Blood and which were in the books. But still, it was pretty cool to get these stories about alternate characters and remember the good old days of this series.
Profile Image for C-shaw.
852 reviews61 followers
February 19, 2018
A library book. "Stories from the world of Sookie Stackhouse" by various authors, edited by Charlaine Harris and Toni L.P. Kelner.
* * * * *
Nearly all of these stories are excellent. Ms. Harris chose writers who write in the same style as her Sookie Stackhouse stories. This is a very interesting book for Sookie and/or "True Blood" fans.
Profile Image for Krista.
712 reviews
December 25, 2014
First, I will never forgive Charlaine Harris for her absolute flop of an ending for the Sookie Stackhouse books. I need to be open about my bias here.

Second, I don't think my bias colors my review significantly. This is a collection of short stories inspired by the world of Sookie Stackhouse. Problem: The author is against fan fiction, so why is she okay with professional authors having a go at Sookie's world? This is related to problem 2: The majority of the stories do not feel stylistically connected to Sookie's world. The author doesn't have to mimic Charlaine Harris' style, but in some cases the gap is so extreme that it doesn't feel like a Sookie homage. A fan version would be better, which takes us back to that original problem.

All in all, the book feels like a cheap effort to take more dollars out of the hands of Sookie fans, with few of the authors presenting a story that truly feels like this is part of Sookie's universe.
Profile Image for Craig.
5,140 reviews124 followers
October 22, 2015
These are stories set in Harris's Sookie Stackhouse universe (-not- the tv series), and feature events and (in some cases very minor) characters that appear in her books. It's a rather uneven collection; some of the stories are quite good but would be better if they weren't shoe-horned into the "Dead" continuity, such as the shifter stories by Christopher Golden, Jonathan Maberry, and Suzanne McLeod. Some of the ones that I felt best fit with the established feel of the continuiry were a lot of fun with a definite fanfic flavor like the stories from MaryJanice Davidson, Bill Crider, and co-editor Leigh Perry. The one I thought was most successful in meeting both goals of good story and fitting in was the lead off story from Rachel Caine. I'd recommend it to die-hard fans of the books.
Profile Image for Goosey.
220 reviews9 followers
March 11, 2015
I loved the idea of this book and was really excited about it. BUT... It feels like it was lost in translation. None of the authors were able to capture the sweet southern charm that I've come to associate with Sookie and Co. These stories could have been fun, but most fell flat.
Profile Image for Cathy .
1,944 reviews52 followers
December 27, 2014
Professional fan fiction, it's bound to become a trend (if it hasn't already, I don't know of similar books or I've forgotten). Authors are fans too, what a great way for everyone to make money, I bet many publishers will hop on board the train if and when it makes sense for their authors and series too. Everyone wins. Unless you're the kind of really strict fan who feels that only Harris's voice works for the characters. Now that I think of it, in some ways I guess movie, TV and video game tie-in books are sort of fan fiction in the same way that this is, maybe that's part of why several of the authors who were chosen are very experienced in writing those books. When you see how excited Kevin Hearne is to be writing a Star Wars book it's clear that it's definitely fan fiction, though I'm sure that many times when an author takes on a tie-in novel it's just a job too. But it's a skill to be able to step into an established world and write a story that readers will love. I was impressed at how well almost everyone in this book did it. And how good all of the stories were. There were no actual stinkers. There were a few that I had some quibbles with, that it would be fun to talk to someone about and say, "Hey, what did you think about this..." But most of these voices worked for me much more than the dark and dreary tone of the TV show, which I never could come to enjoy. And many, by choosing lesser known supporting characters, don't have to be measured as strictly against the original since they aren't as familiar. I was impressed with how well the authors captured the tone of the series, I generally felt like I was in the familiar world where I expected to be, if looking at it from some different angles and perspectives than normal. But that was fun, many of those perspectives were ones that I've always wanted to know more about. Some were characters I didn't remember at all, but that's fine too, in the right author's hands some of those stories were able to be a bit more... creative maybe?... without as many restrictions as the more well known voices. Like Nicole Peeler's story, she chose such a minor character, or even though I critiqued it a lot, Leigh Evans had a lot of latitude to write a more creative story, as opposed to writing about Bubba, Alcide, Pam or Eric, all characters who's situations and personalities leave less leeway for playing. Which is it's own kind of fun and interesting challenge I'd think. But anyway, I enjoyed seeing what all of them did and how they did it and made it feel natural.

There were a lot of stories where people were essentially thinking most of the story to themselves, basically internal monologues. The more successful were those with interaction and actual action, plot, beginnings/middles/and ends.

I really hate getting to the end of books and finding things that would have been really helpful to have known were there all along, like glossaries, or in this case author biographies. I should have looked, they're usually there in anthologies, I just didn't think of it. I wasn't really thinking of this as an anthology, for that matter. The bios were actually helpful with a few of them, the condensed format has the information I wanted and didn't really find looking them up on Goodreads or in Wikipedia. Oh well!

Rachel Caine - Kevin and Kenya are trying to capture a criminal and get a bit caught up in the vampire scene in Dallas. Caine always writes good short stories. She did a very good job of making me feel like I was reading a story that was a part of the genuine Sookie universe, despite being from a different POV. The details were all there and the tone was right, the emotions and motivations felt genuine. It felt right and it was an interesting story. Plus I always wanted to know more about how those two got together.

Christopher Golden - What the heck have I read of his before? His book list is endless between his many series and the many TV tie-ins he's authored. I have no idea what I read and his book list is so overwhelming it's actually a turn-off, I can't see the original series from the TV series to find the ones I know I read. Other than some interest in some of his comic books I just don't want to wade through it all. (I wish I'd seen the bio in the back, I'd have been less frustrated to know about the comic books he's writing with Harris and the other books he's aiming for us to focus on.) But the story about Quinn the weretiger was...uneven. At the beginning I felt for his love for his mother and his frustration with not being able to make things better for her in her older years. A lot of us have been in that place in various ways with our parents. And then it got worse. Not it was a bad story-worse, but upsetting it's a good story-worse. It wasn't something I could relate to, thank goodness, but it was all too believable, sadly. Too often when I read fiction I wish that what I'm reading wasn't possible, that the authors were making up the depths of what despicable things people will do to each other to get what they want, but I know that they're really just making up the circumstances and it hurts my heart. So that part was good, in a way, it was good writing if not happy writing. And the story had a good twist at the end. But the overall pace was off, it's all build up then it's over but not actually resolved, his mother is still in danger and the story just ends. It doesn't feel at all like a complete story. Maybe he's planning on writing another story to continue it in another anthology, I've seen that plenty of times, but it felt incomplete and unsatisfying.

Leigh Perry - When Harris calls her, "my friend" in her intro she meant it, it's Toni Kelner. No wonder she got Diantha, her favorite character is many people's. I've read a number of very good stories by Kelner, but this one was just kind of cute, it didn't have the depth that I expected from her. Diantha wasn't exactly doing anything, I mean she was investigating something but there was no plot or story or jeopardy. It was mostly description. So cute, not thrilling.

Jeffrey J. Mariotte - This is another author where knowing that the bio in the back existed would really have helped me. I couldn't find anything under his full name for some reason (he's written quite a few books under that name) and got swallowed up by the huge Jeff Mariotte list of licensed properties/tie-ins of books and graphic novels based on TV shows: Angel, Charmed, CSI, etc. His bio was much more helpful again. So...The story is about Andy Bellefleur dealing with the awful aftermath of the night he got drunk and got a ride home from his sister, and then found something terrible in his car the next day. I liked the detail that Mariotte picked to explore in Bon Temps history, slotting it naturally into the flow of familiar story as though it could have been there all along. It fit very well into the mythology of the series and captured the tone very well. I guess he's an expert at doing that with all of his experience writing in universes he didn't create but has the responsibility to expand. He did a really nice job of capturing the town, all of the little details, and capturing Andy and maybe expanding our understanding of him just a little bit too. It was really very well done for this book.

Seanan McGuire - Seanan always writes good short stories too. She captured how annoying Amelia can be, and yet there's still that something about her that's kind of fun. And she showed a little bit of why Amelia takes the chances she does, what the draw of magic is for her, what risks she'll take and where she draws the line.

Jeanne C. Stein - It was fine. She tried to show why Adele, Sookie's grandma, did what she did and I think she explained it exactly right. It's certainly a story that belongs in this book.

Jonathan Mayberry - An action-packed story about Mustafa that showcased the darker side of this world. The change of pace to a darker tone and the action story was good editing.

Nicole Peeler - What a nice surprise to turn the page and see her name! She's one of my favorite authors and she doesn't do a lot of anthologies. I don't remember Bethany or Desiree or even the Bat's Wing bar in Dallas that apparently inspired quite a few of our authors/fans in their fiction. But it didn't matter, it was still a good story just with the basic concepts of what vampires and shifters are in this world. With a few edits the story could stand on it's own in another anthology and still be very good. I liked the personal elements of the story, the intimate level of it was immediate and bold and real. And the political level of the story as well, the bigger picture that Nicole brought in which added so much depth, it wasn't just about these few people and their jeopardy, they were placed in the world and it's politics and economics. It was an interesting and timely projection to think about how the vampire and shifter situation would influence immigration and the border situation, since they've been such big news in the real world for the last couple of years. So it was a smart story to use those elements and project a potential situation that a woman running from Dallas could get into. Even if the character wasn't one that some fans would be excited to read about because she's so minor in the Sookie universe.

Leigh Evans - Finally a new author who interests me! Remember when anthologies had just a couple of big names and then a bunch of lesser known authors, which was a great way to get introduced to new authors you might like? Especially an anthology like this that can feature mixed genres, fantasy and mystery authors would both work in Sookie-land, it could be really fun. It's nice to see familiar names and know the story will be good, but I'd like more variety. Without having to pick up books as huge as GRRM and Gardner Dozios's massive editing collaborations to do it. It was a cute story. But...I'm not exactly sure it's message about women's body image hit the target. The main character was obsessed with being too heavy because she was bloated from PMS when she was turned into a vampire, and because she was a dancer, a showgirl. And she figured out by the end that it was also because of when she was born. She had a breakthrough when she realized that Renaissance women loved being plump and the men then loved that about them. Which helped her get over the anxiety she'd been carrying around from a relationship with her ex-boyfriend, who it turns out was from the Renaissance, so that's why he was always impatient with her obsession with her weight. OK, great, good for her for getting over him, but she didn't get over her obsession with her weight or realize that she was just as beautiful at any size or any of those healthy body image things. In fact her bad body image was actually kind of rubber stamped, like saying well that's what our generation likes so she should go for being as skinny as possible. Even though she's starving herself and it's idiotic for a vampire who can't actually lose weight. And it never crosses her mind maybe her boyfriend was concerned about her starving herself, or annoyed because she was being ridiculous, she just chalked the whole thing up to him liking plumper women. And the other woman in the story was this smart, take charge totally successful hard ass who dropped it all because she found out that the guy she was supposed to marry was a famous artist. OK, I get it, if Van Gogh was suddenly alive and sane I'd probably go all fan girl wild, just like a lot of women would, makes sense, except it stole the sense of her being so cool. First she seemed like a brat, then when she said she was managing everyone's money and a major businesswomen she seemed different, then suddenly she was a gushing girl and it was all over for her. The story said she'd probably be back to being strong in a week, but it stole my enjoyment of her character. I'm not usually so critical, but it just bugged me that she wrote these women who were so messed up. And body image stuff always really bothers me, I really dislike women who are so down on themselves and it especially bothers me that I don't think the author would even say the story was negative. I think she thinks it was a woman getting over her issues, so it bothers me more that she doesn't see that the character is so hung up on her weight in a really unhealthy way. On the surface the story was cute, fluffy and enjoyable to read, but there were so many underlying problems with the characterization that will make me cautious going into her books.

Bill Crider - The ultimate in fan fiction, just a light story closely mirroring the incident that I even kind of remember when Bubba helped Sookie and Eric rescue Bill from Russell's compound. Harris including Bubba in her stories is fan fiction anyway, and this was just a fun, fluffy fantasy of a story and captured the Southern Vampire tone quite well.

Nancy Holder - I got excited when I saw her name because I thought it was Nancy Holzner. I have had this Nancy on my to-read list for a long time but never got around to her. She had so many books she originated and she's another one who's book list is really hard to wade through because of the huge number of novelizations of TV shows - Buffy, Angel, Charmed, many more, some co-written with Jeff Mariotte even. Is this a publisher connection? I'm sure dozens of authors would had liked to be included in this book. They're all very well-known authors for all of their work, the worlds they created and the tie-ins are all very successful, I've just never seen so many authors with such huge tie-in book lists in one anthology. Or maybe I didn't notice. I'm familiar with Christopher Golden but I never noticed his tie-ins before, I probably didn't look because I was familiar with him. Anyway, this was a dark and sad story about Alcide that tried to have a happyish ending but it was already too late for that and it wasn't believable. Some broken things can't be fixed.

Miranda James - a good reminder that I liked her first Charlie and Diesel cozy mystery. Diesel is a cool cat. And it turns out from the bio and Miranda is really Dean, so I can check out his books now too, which is the point of writing in anthologies, getting now readers, a success for him. Didn't Claude turn out to be a right bastard though, am I remembering wrong? It's funny that this author was still so interested in him. Maybe not so much him but them now that I've read the story. And I didn't remember any of how Claudette died or who killed her, so I could totally be wrong anyway.

Suzanne McLeod - Now here's someone I like who isn't in anthologies much, such a nice surprise. It took forever just to get the most recent book (4) in her Spellcrackers.com series in the US, the publishers were playing very annoying games. This was a good story about Luna the werebat, another character from Dallas, though not in Texas this time. It also featured Sookie's nephew and his dad. It was a little bit, I don't know, distanced somehow, but I liked Luna and it was nice to read a story from her that was so different from Spellcasters. And I liked the the idea of the werebat a lot, the small non-agressive flying shifter has a lot of storytelling possibilities.

Dana Cameron - It's funny how Harris introduces so many of the chapters, ..."Pam is a favorite of this author..." Well duh, of course she is, she's everyone's favorite, just like Alcide is and Eric is and Diantha is and so many of the characters are. They had rich pickings. I do wonder if there was a bidding war over Pam though. Maybe Cameron had to give a big check to charity or she won a huge game of rock/paper/scissors. But I didn't entirely get the story. On the one hand, it was exciting, it captured a bit of Pam's spirit in a joie de vivre kind of way. Though I'm not sure I always though of her that way, I could buy into that being some of what's going on under the surface that she never could or would explain to Sookie or let her see. But it skipped right over why Eric turned her and it still seems so completely out of character the way it was described here, they were total strangers, she wasn't dear to him, why would he do that? Again, maybe it was in the books and I've forgotten, but it should be in the story briefly too then, I shouldn't have to remember. And if I was supposed to care who this Morgan guy was and why he was after Eric, well I didn't. I kind of digged Pam the hero, juxtaposed with Pam the violent killer vampire, and Pam the slightly romantic, it was effective. But there were also some too convenient things, like all the stuff with Quinn being in here at all (he came off as kind of dumb, which he is not), her just happening to fit into the show perfectly in the dress of the one woman who didn't show. It just didn't sit right at times, like those novels where the author is so excited to showcase the ideas she's become attached to that she can't or won't edit or realize that she's trying too hard to make them work beyond what's even fantasyland believable. I just didn't buy into a lot of it.

MaryJanice Davidson - Lucky MJD got the Eric of the future. Unfortunately, I thought this was the least successful story in the book. It didn't sound particular like Eric to me, whatever that means. He was stiff and robotic. It was an oddly difficult and confusing story to read, unfortunately like her other stories going to the future have been actually. Several times I had to go back several paragraphs and re-read to try to figure out what was going on. I get the points she was trying to make with it about the choices Eric made versus the choices Sookie made and that part was good, though the implication that Sookie wasn't happy with her choices was odd to me because I think she made the right choice and Eric in this story sure emphasized that, she had no place in the world he created, she was a creature of the sun. I just don't get all of the choices MJD made in writing the story. It was jumbled up somehow. She used to be such a clear and easy to read writer, I don't know where her flow went.
Profile Image for Carrie.
2,312 reviews18 followers
September 27, 2014
I reluctantly picked this book up (in audiobook format) for a long drive with a fellow Sookie Stackhouse fan. I think my expectations for these stories was a little different than the actual set of stories. I wanted closure, or happiness for the characters that didn't really get a good HEA. These stories are mostly not designed to do that. It truly is what it says: Stories from the World of Sookie Stackhouse. No promises not to mess up a good happy ending, no promises to give you a happy ending. Overall, I got some closure, but some of these stories made me sad all over again. If you are happy with the closure you got from the series, I don't think I'd recommend this set of stories. If you're a glutton for punishment (like I sometimes am), it can't hurt to dive into this world again.

"Nobody's Business" by Rachel Caine (featuring Kevin Pryor & Kenya Jones)
3 stars
While this story had a bunch of characters we know from the series, it just felt a little bit like things we already knew. The romance between Kevin and Kenya really solidifies in this story, though, and since I love those two, it wasn't so hard to get through. There was mystery, romance, and vampire action to pull the story along. Also, hey, remember the sheriff of Texas? He's in this one, too.

"Tyger, Tyger" by Christopher Golden (featuring Quinn)
3 stars
This story was definitely a lot darker than I wanted a follow-up Quinn story to be. He's always been my favorite (until the series essentially broke him) and I was really looking forward to seeing him in his new life and maybe get a little taste of what I loved about the character before. This story has a lot of darkness in the form of rape, torture, and other types of manipulation. There's some shocking twists, but overall it left me feeling a little dirty, and not in a good way.

"The Real Santa Claus" by Leigh Perry (featuring Diantha)
4 stars
By far one of my favorites from the collection. We get to check in with Diantha, another often overlooked character from the series. She's still as perky and quick as ever, and we get to watch her solve all of Sookie's problems in this holiday themed story. Mr. C, Sam, and all of Sookie's kids (?!?) make an appearance. Overall, a happy holiday read.

"Taproot" by Jeffrey J. Mariotte (featuring Andy Bellefleur)
3 stars
Poor Andy. He really can never catch a break. When an old girlfriend comes back into town with a camera crew, things sure do look pretty odd. The story is that they are going to do a special on Merlotte's that involves renovating the place and changing everything. Why? The mystery was actually a good and engaging storyline that shows that Andy isn't just the comic relief. The timeframe for this one is while Sookie is in Dallas.

"Knit a Sweater Out of Sky" by Seanan McGuire (featuring Amelia)
4 stars
Amelia has always been a character I'd like to see more of. She was dealt a pretty crappy hand, but she's come out as an amazing witch. This story shows her as the tough, capable witch that I think was somewhat overlooked in the series. Here, I actually felt like the characters were natural, entertaining, and strong. It was a good change of pace.

"Love Story" by Jeanne C. Stein (featuring Adele Hale Stackhouse)
3 stars
This made me feel strange. As the author notes point out, talking about Adele's infidelity is not the safest of stories to tell. Hearing about Sookie's gran having sex is also not the most comfortable thing in the world. That being said, the author did give a little dimension to what I generally viewed as a betrayal before (or maybe faerie magic).

"The Million-Dollar Hunt" by Jonathan Maberry (featuring Mustapha Khan)
3 stars
While I love Mustapha and miss him a bunch, this story read like something I've definitely seen before. A bunch of weres are recruited for a television reality competition that becomes "too real." Mustapha got to show that he's got brains and the muscle to back it up, while still being a softie when it comes to his partner. It also delivered a somewhat satisfying ending.

"Borderline Dead" by Nicole Peeler (featuring Desiree Dumas)
4 stars
I freely admit to having no clue who Desiree is before listening to this story. Maybe back when I first read the series I might have been able to remember the character (like I remember Stan and a few others from earlier), but she could be a new character for all I know or care. She was a tough chick, and I really enjoyed her point of view. She's sick of vampire drama, the insanity that creeps into their lives, and just wants out. Of course, trouble comes knocking and she stabs it with her crossbow. Definitely a highlight of the collection.

"Extreme Makeover Vamp Edition" by Leigh Evans (featuring Bev & Todd)
3 stars
I'm a little confused by this story, or the point of it rather, but it was fun and zany with a vampire twist. Bev and Todd are tasked (by Eric) with making a reclusive vampire presentable to a high ranking vampire official (to be his bride). I suppose if I re-read the series maybe I'd find it neat to see more from characters that were briefly mentioned. Overall, it was a little sad, a little silly, and over the top crazy. The ending made me crack a smile, so that at least gave it 3 stars in my book.

"Don't Be Cruel" by Bill Crider (featuring Bubba)
4 stars
The mystery character also known as Elvis is a fun and interesting addition to the characters of Bon Temps. He's always been a little happy thing that gets thrown into the most dangerous of situations. This story happened during Bill's abduction and Sookie's rescue of him, which put Bubba in trouble again. This time, though, it was all because of a cat. This story ultimately had a happy ending, but it took a little while to get there. It was nice to see inside Bubba's head, but I wouldn't like to live there.

"What a Dream I Had" by Nancy Holder (featuring Alcide Herveaux)
3 stars
Poor Alcide. He's probably cursed. This story shows you exactly that. We get to see Alcide in his youth, still battling with changing and trying to live like a normal human. His girlfriend at the time (and prom date) ends up in for more than she bargained for. He assumes she died in a horrible way, until she suddenly shows up in a bar he frequents. Think he's getting a happy ending? You're wrong. Poor Alcide -- I wish he would have gotten a nice happy story, not one filled with such bad fortune.

"Another Dead Fairy" by Miranda James (featuring Claude & Claudia Crane)
4 stars
Does it say something that even though I know Claude is evil and bad and horrible, I gave this 4 stars? I know I shouldn't like him and this story shouldn't make him more "human" to me, but ultimately, this story kind of won me over. We get to see Claude investigate a murder at their strip club all while getting some insider information from his head. Maybe seeing this in the series would have made me hate him less. This story did what I wanted all the others to do -- gave me a happier look at a character in the series. I don't want authors to go messing around with any already existing happy endings, but if they can make more -- it's a welcome addition!

"The Bat-Signal" by Suzanne McLeod (featuring Luna)
4 stars
I would read an entire series about Luna and Hunter, fighting crime. This group was so fun to hear about that I was sad when it ended. Luna is hunting down a missing shifter kid when she stumbles upon Hunter and his dad doing the exact same thing. Sookie is away and unable to help, so Luna steps in and makes them all seem like superheros while doing it. I wish all these stories were such wonderful additions to the series. This gave me warm and fuzzy feelings about these characters all over again.

"The Sun, The Moon, and The Stars" by Dana Cameron (featuring Pam Ravenscroft)
4 stars
This story was almost like a book on its own. We get to see some really in depth Pam history and motivations while she fights for her (and Eric's) life. There's even the added bonus of seeing Quinn (without being tortured). Lily, Pam's old lover, plays a key role in most of the story (or stories, really -- we get a lot of Pam in this one). Pam has always been one of my favorites so it was like a little present to be able to spend some time with her again. There should be a separate set of the Eric and Pam series released next. I would read every single one of those books.

"Widower's Walk" by MaryJanice Davidson (featuring Eric Northman)
4 stars
I wasn't sure I wanted an Eric story, because of how horribly the series let me down when it came to him. He started out as such an amazing character and eventually got downgraded to some guest star every now and then, with absolutely zero character development. I kind of didn't want to open that can of worms and be disappointed again. This story takes place in the future (200 years in the future!) where there's silly technology and, of course, Eric Northman. I will reluctantly give this one 4 stars, only because it gave me a certain sense of closure that the book series did not. It made me see Eric as a character again, like he was in the beginning, and not just a throwaway. He has some good motivations and it almost made me happy about the ending of the series. Almost. Sort of. Kind of.
Profile Image for Margaret.
Author 20 books84 followers
July 26, 2018
A lovely collection of stories set in Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse world.

The stories are written by a variety of other authors. This isn't new. I remember reading anthologies by different authors set in Marion Zimmer Bradley's world of Darkover. Merecedes Lackey has done the same with both her Valdemar and Elemental Magicians series.

The stories were of a consistently high standard and most revolved around minor characters.

A thoroughly delightful read for anyone who loves Sookie Stackhouse and her adventures.
Profile Image for Amie's Book Reviews.
1,543 reviews166 followers
August 11, 2020
This is a fabulous collection of stories from multiple best-selling authors. If you have ever wanted to immerse yourself in the world of Sookie Stackhouse, this is the perfect book for you.

Jonathan Maberry fans will be thrilled with his inclusion to this anthology.

I rate this as 4 OUT OF 5 STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐