Start by marking “The Light We Share” as Want to Read:
The Light We Share

The Light We Share

What difference does it make to have the light of the gospel in your life? To a twelve-year-old girl in post-World War II Germany, it made all the difference.

In this charming book, Sister Harriet R. Uchtdorf reflects on the power of heavenly light in her own life and recalls the joy it brought to her family during a dark and difficult time. "It was like a miracle," she exp
Published March 2014 by Deseret Book Company

To ask other readers questions about The Light We Share, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Light We Share

Melanie
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that doesn't take long at all to read. Sis. Uchtdorf shares that she always believed their "overseas assignment" here in the United States was temporary and that one day they would return to Germany. In 2004, when her husband received the call to be an Apostle, they knew their lives were changed forever.

She reflects on the difficult times her family went through when she was 12 years old and the message two missionaries brought her family. She also expresses her love for the hymn
Cynthia Egbert
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-and-read
I am so grateful to my friend Mary Lou who gave me this gem as a birthday gift and her timing was perfect. I love the imagery of light that she uses to outline her story and her relationship with the heavens. This is a simple reminder of what really matters and how we need to keep it simple and we will not get lost.
Carolyn
Nice quick read telling the story of how LDS missionaries brought light and hope to Sister Uchtdorf's family. Beautiful pictures.
Mary Lou
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: from-cynthia
I love light! I love the pictures Harriet chose to illustrate her precious story of the gospel light in her life. I love the simplicity in the telling of the story, and the use of a special hymn to tell the story. I love the scriptures of truth that she uses to teach what light is, from God. And I love her encouraging all of us to receive light, and then to share our light, and we will be come brighter and brighter.
Etta Mcquade
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was so touched by the family's conversion to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints after the death of Harriet's beloved father in post World War II Frankfurt, Germany. Harriet was 12 when her father died which left the family in depression and darkness. Eight months after his death, the LDS missionaries knocked on their door, they were baptized and the light of the gospel changed everything.
Jodi
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect. Just like the author!!
Maria
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short and motivational! Sharing our light with others uplifts and gives hope to those that need it.
Michelle
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a quick, sweet read. The light of the Gospel will go forth until light fills the whole world. Although this was not written for the Church's "Light the World" campaigns, it fits beautifully.
alisonwonderland
A beautiful little book, perfect for an uplift on a Sunday afternoon.
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful reminder from the wife on an apostle that the Lord's plans for our lives may be very different from our own plans for our life. Sister Harriet R. Uchtdorf came to the United States in 1999 with her husband Dieter on an assignments she though would be temporary. She was looking forward to returning to her homeland and family in Germany, but things chance and we have be willing to be flexible. Filled with the hopeful, positive story of how Harriet learned to listed to her heart ...more
Shauna
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written!
Beautifully illustrated!

We LOVE President Uchtdorf and rejoice in his words.

Now we are privileged to read from Sister Uchtdorf as she shares her thoughts about her life and her testimony of her conversion.

Throughout her life things have not always gone as she or her family has planned...

One such event was the calling of President Uchdorf to be a General Authority. After his announcement she writes:

"Alone, at home I reflected on my life, our plans, the Lord's plan, and His tim
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
This is a beautiful book on the power of faith and belief in Christ.

Sister Harriet Uchtdorf shares her experience of how life plans change. She talks about her husband becoming an Apostle for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. They were planning on returning to Germany when he was finished with a church assignment. They looked forward to returning home and spending time with their grandchildren. In 2009 their plans changed as they devoted their time and talents to his apostleship.

S
Heidi
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful gift book provides a sweet reminder of the need to look for the light in our lives rather than the darkness. Sister Uchtdorf talks about how she and her husband came to Salt Lake City to serve in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints temporarily. When her husband was called to be an apostle, it changed everything. She goes on to discuss why she and her husband were willing to make the changes the Lord asked of them, by sharing the circumstances around her families' conve ...more
Verona
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The simplest books can be the most profound. This is how I view this beautiful little book by Sister Uchtdorf. her words speak the language of light and love, so gentle and yet touch your heart with profound meaning. I literally could feel like light that blessed her life and it brought light into my heart today. It's the kind of light that will stay in my heart forever and illuminate my path. I love Sister Uchtdorf for sharing her light with me, and my friend Geri fir sharing this book with me. ...more
Michelle
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This very short, picture-heavy book is more a spiritual thought than an actual book. However, it is wonderful! I loved the real insights into her life of following Christ. I loved the couple of stories she shared about growing up and, now, living in Utah. She quotes a German hymn, now in the English hymn books, that is one of her favorites. I have loved that hymn since I served in Germany and can still sing the first verse in German (and do in church, albeit quietly). My favorite quote is , "You ...more
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
This is a sweet, simple, happy, and encouraging little book by Sister Uchtdorf filled with hope. She shares part of the story of the missionaries finding her family and her conversion to the Church of Jesus Christ. She talks about the light that came into her life and that we can then share with others.

A part of the book goes through the lyrics of the song "Hark, All Ye Nations" (which I love)!! She talks about how meaningful that song was in her conversion and how it applies to each of us and
Catherine
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a really quick read. I enjoyed the pictures - they were very colorful and vibrant. Sister Uchtdorf's message was a good one. It was interesting to hear about her life as a young child in Germany and how she became a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. Her father had died and after becoming a member of the Church, she felt a light come into her life and in the lives of her family members, even though they had gone through a very trying time. It was very touching.
Cami
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: db-approved
This uplifting book takes about 15 minutes to read (longer if you reflect on what she is saying and take a good look at the gorgeous photographs). I met Sister Uchtdorf briefly in 2003 when her husband was an Area Authority Seventy, so it was really nice to read this story that tells about her family, her conversion, and her continued faith.
Lisa
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a quick read. It's a very good book and it gives a brief history of Harriet R. Uchtodorf's, conversion story. I've always been interested in knowing more about her and now I do. What a great book to start the new year with.
Sherilyn
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religous
Great testimony of how we can be a Light to all we share the gospel to. May we all take the time to be that light and share the truthfulness of the gospel and the comfort it gives. Love how she reminds us that where light is dark can not reside.
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really admire Pres. and Sis. Uchtdorf, and this book was a brief insight into Sis. Uchtdorf's conversion as a young girl and some of her feelings when her husband got called to be an Apostle. I admire her strength and example of sacrifice and gratitude.
Lesli
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this little book. I felt uplifted by her story, and inspired to be more sharing. But I wish their was more to it, I would have loved to hear more about her experience supporting her husband. She starts a story at the beginning of the book but does not finish it.
Alex
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
why i love this book... besides its message...
the author is donating all royalties received from this book to the general missionary fund of the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints...
if that's not a testimony of the power of missionary work, i don't know what is...
Marie
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Light We Share is a beautifully illustrated short gift book that is a lovely reminder of the joy to be found in the gospel and in living our lives in the light of Christ. The Light We Share is a book well worth sharing
Annette
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This book makes a great gift. Sister Uchtdorf, very briefly, shares her conversion story. The photos are beautiful. I enjoyed it but found myself wanting more. If Sister Uchtdorf ever decides to write an autobiography I would definitely be interested.
Jen
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sweet and simple book of encouragement and hope filled with beautiful photographs! An uplifting 10 min read that gives some background on sis Uchtdorf and shares some of the behind the scenes lives of the Uchtdorf's.
Amanda
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This is just a tiny little book-- really the length of a talk. It's pretty superficial, but sweet and uplifting with beautiful pictures to go along with it. It gives you a tiny snapshot into the life of Sister Uchtdorf. I wish there was more!
Brittany
Not what I expected - this is a very short book. Ten minutes tops. It got me thinking, though, about how little we know about the wives of our prophets and apostles. I would love to see more memoirs from these amazing women.
Valerie
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet. Really enjoyed it.
Daryl
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
A sweet book. I love her sharing her story of his calling. So good.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • For Times of Trouble: Spiritual Solace from the Psalms
  • Forget Me Not
  • The 7-Day Christian: How Living Your Beliefs Every Day Can Change the World
  • 21 Principles: Divine Truths to Help You Live By the Spirit
  • Power to Become: Spiritual Patterns for Pressing Forward with a Steadfastness in Christ (Spiritual Patterns, #3)
  • One Drop at a Time