Start by marking “Everything That Makes You” as Want to Read:
Everything That Makes You

Everything That Makes You

One girl. Two stories. Meet Fiona Doyle. The thick ridges of scar tissue on her face are from an accident twelve years ago. Fiona has notebooks full of songs she’s written about her frustrations, her dreams, and about her massive crush on beautiful uber-jock Trent McKinnon. If she can’t even find the courage to look Trent straight in his beautiful blue eyes, she sure isn’t ...more
Published March 17th 2015 by Katherine Tegen Books

Red Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
YA Debuts 2015
442 books — 3,375 voters
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerEnd of Days by Susan Ee
YA Novels of 2015
1,466 books — 8,876 voters

More lists with this book...

Aj the Ravenous Reader
I’d like to make it clear that I did enjoy reading the novel and that I thought the author’s writing is smooth and easy to read. I do appreciate the concept, the alternative stories/universes of an individual and the overall theme that Ms. Moriah Mcstay is trying to convey (hey that rhymed^^) that a single life event/moment can make all the difference in a person’s entire being and in practically everything that makes a person.

I just personally don’t see the necessity of the alternative stories
Giselle
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, ebook
This book was a solid 4-stars at first, but once the intriguing factor wore off I just got bored and then confused. It's a good premise, but one that was executed much better in a few other books I've read: Just Like Fate and Pivot Point. The "what if" is a question that many can't help but consider. In Fiona's case, what if she had never had that accident that left her scarred? It's interesting to see how an event like that changes someone, or how different their lives would be had in not happe ...more
Melanie
After loving books like Pivot Point by Kasie West, I was really hoping that I’d love this one just as much, as they both are about “what ifs” and alternate universes. Unfortunately, Everything that Makes You just didn’t manage to keep me engaged. I really liked the idea, but the execution was absolutely lacking. There wasn’t really a plot line, either – it was just us following the lives of a girl who could have lived two totally different lives because of her accident that left jarring scars on ...more
Lucia
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Everything That Makes You is great debut story about possible parallel lives and "what ifs". I read it based on recommendation from Lily @Lily's Book Blog (you can read her full review here) and I really enjoyed it!
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
I received a free copy from the publishers via Edelweiss for review purposes.

Everything That Makes You is an interesting concept -- what if that ONE thing didn't happen? How different would your life be? Would it be better, or worse? Would you fall in love with the same person? It was this type of narrative that really made this book something unique.

Fiona has a scarred face from an accident twelve years ago. She's shy and considers herself an outcast. She writes songs about her life, her scars
Alex
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Questo è uno di quei libri che non ti aspetti di quelli, per intenderci, che ti costringe a riflettere sulle casualità di alcuni eventi.
Fatalità che ci segnano per sempre.
La protagonista si trova ad un bivio, quei momenti cruciali che cambiano ogni cosa, l'istante esatto in cui hai la consapevolezza che non sarai più la stessa persona.
L'autrice mostra le due vite vissute da prospettive diametralmente opposte; storie che sembrano scritte in parallelo, in quanto a tempistica, ma che descrivono due
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
This book was on of my most anticipated releases of the year, so I had high expectations. This book wasn't as groundbreaking as I expected, but I still loved it!

Ever since an accident at the zoo when she was a child, Fiona has had a large scar running across her face. Her scar prevents her from being brave (and trying out for any contact sports). She's too scared to face her crush and too scared for anyone to hear her songs.
Jill
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4.5 (blast goodreads and their lack of decimal ratings)
Lilysbookblog
As a teenager about to enter University, I'm (as per right of passage) destined to ask the "what if's" questions. One does not go through life without asking themselves "What if that didn't happen?" or "What if I had handled that differently?" There are so many 'what if's' we can ask ourselves, it's a wonder we can still find the strength to live with the 'What is' and not continuously worry about the 'What if's' every second of everyday. As someone whose in the position of questioning every de ...more
Whitney Atkinson

Video review coming! Very conflicted about this book. It's going to be very difficult to put it into words. On one hand I liked it, on another hand I felt it wasn't executed very well. Maybe when I do my review tomorrow, after sleeping, it will make more sense in my head. But other than the shakiness of the two perspectives, I loved everything else in this!
Angigames
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stelle stiracchiate
Confesso di essere partita prevenuta, le storie parallele non sono il mio genere, normalmente. Infatti fin da subito, sia Fiona che Fi mi sono andate di traverso. La prima perché è una che fa finta di nulla ma che si piange spesso addosso, la seconda perché è talmente concentrata su se stessa da non accorgersi di niente, nemmeno dell’evidenza!
La McStay, però sa scrivere e gestisce tutto molto bene.
Da semplice YA, il libro si trasforma in un vero e proprio racconto di formaz
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Okay first I have to give Moriah a hug KUDOS for the cover. I loved it and it fits the story perfectly.

This review is going to be so hard for me to write without spoilers because I loved how everything flowed so smooth together and you get two stories for the price of one. This is a story that had me crying and laughing because it is about the what if's for one girl and I felt for her because Lord knows I have had days like that where I say what if I did this differently.

Fiona is our main charac
Susane Colasanti
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Everything That Makes You is an inspiring exploration of destiny, strength, and the power of human connection. I loved Moriah McStay's spot-on dialogue and strong characters. A striking debut!
Books are TARDIS
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

This debut novel has a lot going on, and it endeavors to tackle a lot of hefty topics. On the book's menu, we've got: a childhood accident leaving scarring/physical disfigurement, serious illness, guilt, grief, sports injuries, college life, self esteem, self doubt, self discovery, embracing one's flaws and complicated sibling and parental relationships. All these themes have been portrayed in a fairly realistic and raw manner.

Underlying all the issues is the basic "what
Il Cibo della Mente - Pamela
Sì può scrivere una recensione di un paio di righe? Tipo... ;____; Bello bello bello in modo assurdo?! Si? Lo posso fare? Rendo l'idea lo stesso, non è vero? Perché perdersi in millemila parole che comunque non riuscirebbero a descrivere la bellezza di questo romanzo? (mi sa che ci sono arrivata ad almeno quattro righe, ahahahah)
Scherzo. Uao, che dire. Le storie di Fiona e Fi sono meravigliose. Dolci, commoventi, profonde, uniche. A breve ve ne parlerò meglio, molto meglio. Ma ora è tardi e i n
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Books that makes me bawl will always have a special place in my heart and Everything That Makes You are one of those very special book.

Everything That Makes You explores “what ifs” and the pros and cons of two sides of a coin. This is such a beautiful book, I almost ended up highlighting everything. There's so much things to love about this book — the relatable protagonist, great bunch of supporting characters, the snarky humor, plenty of fortune cookie messages and it's swooon romance(s).

Asid
Stacey Lee
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fiona and Fi are flip sides of the same coin. Fi is what Fiona might have been if Fiona hadn't had the accident with the popcorn machine that left her with a deforming facial scar. I loved this book, particularly the question of what to do with the hand life deals us. Sharp writing, good dialogue, and a very original premise. Fans of contemporary YA fiction will want to gobble this up.
Kat
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
*I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

Everything That Makes You was a neat book! It alternated between two versions of the same girl--in one version, Fiona had a large scar on her face from an event in her childhood, and in the other version, Fi didn't go through that event. The book followed both girls when they were teenagers and it was interesting to compare the separate stories. I lied how they were different, but weren't too different. There were similarities in both, but n
Jodi Meadows
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The story is told in two different timelines, Fiona with scars, and Fi without scars. It's fascinating, seeing how Fiona's scars, or lack of, affects not just her life, but her personality and the people she befriends. At first, I wasn't fond of Fi without scars, but she grew on me a lot. There were parts that I really felt for her, and I'm happy with the way her story ended. I identified with Fiona a lot more, from her crippling shyness to her fierce creative streak; I could hear Fiona's songs ...more
Stacee
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've always liked the "Sliding Doors" type of book, so I was really intrigued by this use of the scars to be the turning point.

I liked Fiona. I completely understood how she would have retreated after the accident. It was interesting to see her journey into opening up and experiencing life. On the other hand, I struggled with Fi. Where Fiona was friendly and sweet, Fi was aggressive and sort of bitchy. I wasn't nearly as invested in Fi's journey.

I absolutely loved how the stories sort of inter
Rita
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Initial thoughts:

1. What if...? was definitely a question that needed a story built around.
2. Loved Fiona more than Fi, I have to say.
3. Both main characters were very distinguishable. They seemed like two different people.
4. What I didn't like was the too nicely tied up ending; it didn't seem realistic to me.
5. One of the most influental books that I've read so far.

Check out my full review on my blog!
Silvy Herondale
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Romanzo particolare, ma meraviglioso! <3
Recensione sul blog:http://wefoundwonderlandinbooks.blogs...
Abbie
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Michelle Wrona
This review can also be found on A Thousand Lives Lived, check it out for more reviews!

*3.5 star rating*

What would you do if you figured out that there’s another person who has gone through the same life events as yourself? What about the fact that they look exactly alike as you? Parallel worlds, you may say—but this is a complete contemporary romance with a complexity of some tragic events involved. I guess that if you’re not capable of reading a book like that, then you’re seriously weird, b
Emerald Sue
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
3.5*

This has been one of my most anticipated debuts of 2015 for a long time. Because really, who among us hasn't wondered what our lives would be like if we had taken another road, made an alternative choice, done something just a little bit differently? I pretty much ask myself this every day, so the topic of this book was appealing to me from the start.

Some things worked, and a few didn't. Overall, I liked the book, and I really only had one actual issue with it.

The Good:

I enjoyed the diff
Kaitlyn Abshire
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the publisher, HarperCollins, for providing me with a copy of this book via Edelweiss. I have been provided a copy in exchanged for a honest and unbiased review.

This book answers the “what ifs” question that most people spend time wondering about. One story is about Fiona Doyle, a girl whose had half of her face burned by an accident that happened when she was young. There is also another story about a girl named Fi Doyle, whose face is smooth and not marred with scars. Same girl, but
Nara
Dayum, that cover is seriously perfect for the book. One horrific accident changes a girl's life forever, and we get to see exactly what changes occur. Fiona is the girl who has suffered from the accident; Fi is who results when no accident occurred. Two lives, two halves of the cover.

If I start off with the negatives, I think perhaps what let the book down a little were the actual characters. Fiona and Fi are both not the most likeable characters out there. Initially, Fiona is quite timid, and
Cristina Lee
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A me il destino affascina, ma fa paura allo stesso tempo. Il bivio, le scelte, le diverse strade o sfumature che può assumere una vita, la nostra o quella di qualcun'altro.
Spesso mi domando, cosa sarebbe successo se? Come sarei ora se non?
Ve lo chiedete anche voi?

Con "La strada che mi porta a te" Moriah McStay ci mette davanti due vite appartenenti però ad una sola persona: Fiona, o Fi.
Che buffo, anche solo a partire da un nome o un soprannome. Quante cose possono cambiare?
Fiona è una ragazza ch
(Source: I received a digitalcopy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edeweiss.)

There was nothing wrong with this story; I just couldn’t connect with the characters.

I found this book started quite oddly, because it wasn’t immediately obvious that the main character from the first chapter (Fiona) was the same character, just in an alternate universe in the second chapter! I got so confused, and didn’t get why in one chapter Fi was playing Hockey, and then
  • Everybody Knows Your Name
  • No Parking at the End Times
  • Tunnel Vision (Tunnel Vision, #1)
  • Every Last Promise
  • Better Than Perfect
  • The Memory Key
  • A Sense of the Infinite
  • Underneath Everything
  • Vanished (Vanished, #1)
  • Truest
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • When Reason Breaks
  • Don't Fail Me Now
  • Finding Paris
Moriah McStay grew up in Memphis, TN, where she acquired a come-and-go drawl and a lifelong love of cowboy boots and fried pickles. She attended Northwestern University and the University of Chicago. Two graduate degrees and seven jobs later, she finally figured out what she wants to be when she grows up.

EVERYTHING THAT MAKES YOU is her first novel, and she's probably at home right now working on
“If we tried to analyze how every little thing changes us, nobody would get anything done.” 13 likes
“Even though Marcus really believed some miracle would happen, he didn't waste a second." He gave a sad, lopsided smile. "So I learned this from my dying brother. Don't waste it."

"Waste what?" she whispered.

He looked at her for a long time. "Everything that makes you.”
9 likes