Start by marking “Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)

Cardassia and Andor

(Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #1)

Within every federation and every empire, behind every hero and every villain, there are the worlds that define them. In the aftermath of "Unity" and in the daring tradition of "Spock's World, The Final Reflection, " and "A Stitch in Time, " the civilizations most closely tied to "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" can now be experienced as never before...in tales both sweeping a ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 364 pages
Published June 2004 by pocket Books

Beth - ;)
Aug 07, 2011 rated it liked it
This book involved two different stories, one set on Cardassia and the other on Andor. Both took place after the Dominion War.

Cardassia was really quite boring. It deserved only two stars at best. Miles and Keiko O'Brien are helping with the reconstruction of Cardassia and only a terrorist bomber threat - by a 14-year-old - saved the story from no stars at all.

Andor, on the other hand, was quite interesting. I would have given it 4+ stars. Shar, a young Andorian, a species with four sexes, is
Jarrah
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
For Trek fans who found themselves itching for more after finishing Deep Space Nine, the relaunch novels provide some amazing material to continue along with the adventures of DS9's characters, and do a deeper dive into the show's most prominent alien worlds and cultures. In Cardassia and Andor, readers are given two stories - one by Una McCormack about Keiko and Miles O'Brien helping to rebuild Cardassia after the Dominion Occupation, as well as a family and romantic drama set on Andor, by Heat ...more
Erica
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Since this book is comprised of two novels I've chosen to review them by themselves.

THE LOTUS FLOWER

3 stars. This is a story focusing on Cardassia and the efforts to help rebuild the planet. Miles and Keiko O'Brien now lives there with their two children since Keiko took a botanist job over there. So this is about their life and work on Cardassia, but also about politics and trying to get funding and opposing views not wanting aliens to be involved. Garak also lives there and is involved in the
Bobby
May 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
I tried really hard to get through both stories, but failed. Writing stories in someone else's world always presents challenges and Star Trek is such a throughly developed world that it is that much more difficult to convince the reader that they are in that world.
The Cardassia story bored me to tears and I did not finish it. It felt like we went from one long expository conversation to another with no real motivation for the characters or action for most of the story. By chapter 7 nothing sign
Daniel
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Season 9 of the Deep Space Nine relaunch continues, well, if the books could be called a season. This is similar to character specific stories, such as "Rising Son," which peppered the previous books. This is essentially split into two mini-books. The first focuses on Cardassia with the O'Brian's and Garak being at the forefront, the second is set on Andor with Tenmei, Shar, and Phillipa being the focus. The story surrounding Cardassia is mostly about the planet and its people coming to terms wi ...more
Dola chi-Trei
Apr 01, 2011 rated it did not like it
I have found the Andorian part of the book to be severely lacking. The story simply doesn't make sense. Not only does it go against canon (where four sexes are not even hinted at) but it tries to sell a species having developed with a reproductive system so complicated that the its survival is directly threatened by the very way the species reproduces. And all of that on a world that is known to have had overpopulation issues. No, it's not convincing at all.
Matthew Rushing
Jan 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2015, re-read
The Cardassian section is awesome

The Andorian section is only ok
Crystal Bensley
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Two great stories- one focused on Miles and Keiko, one on Shar and Prynn.
J
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Volume 1 is comprised of two novellas that tell stories set in the Star Trek universe that aren't hugely special or influential in the overall story.

Cardassia, written by Ms McCormack covers the story of a civilization trying to recover following a devastating war. Changing from an authoritarian structure to a nascent democracy and leading to a terrorist threat by reactionaries who want to restore things to the glorious past.

Ms. McCormack highlights the limi
Jessica
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cardassia -- Completely underwhelming in both story and world-building, although that may be because I can't help but compare it to Una's later works which are my favorite of Trek. The stakes of the bomb threat are high, but not as high as what Cardassia has already gone through with the Dominion War, which results in a "worlds of ds9" story that doesn't shake things up as much as other ones. 2.5/5

Andor -- INCREDIBLE. There's very little about Andor, or Andorian characters, in canon (although th
Adam
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Good ideas, but not the best follow-through. With Part 1, I really love both Garak and the O'Briens as characters, so a second-rate story will always get me down. I wanted to know more about Cardassia, and I didn't get it here. With Part 2, I always want to know more about Andor and other founding members of the United Federation of Planets who haven't received much attention over the years, so I quite enjoyed this section.
Yvette
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Character development!

I loved finding out about Andorians. Ever since Shan in Enterprise I have wanted to know more. I loved the reference to him and the reference to the Battle of Betazed.
Rick Smith
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
didnt really care for this one
Ann Marie McGinley
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book for exploring worlds in the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine universe
Sarah Roberts
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek-novels
Adored the Cardassia story so much I've read it twice, a rarity.
Caleris
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
1. Cardassia: 4-4.5/5
2. Andor: 2/5
Tina
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was very happy with this book! It had two separate stories by different authors, and both were great and wonderfully suited the world they were showcasing.

Cardassia:
This story shows Keiko and her family after they've gotten settled and started work on helping solve Cardassia's food shortage. The character interactions are great. True to Cardassian nature, the plot is happening on many levels, and nothing is as straight forward as it seems. Garak is written wonderfully, as is Keiko. It's nice t
Maurice Jr.
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Two great stories showing us the homeworlds of some of the Deep Space Nine crew through their eyes and those of visitors to the planet.

Cardassia: Miles and Keiko O'Brian live there now: Keiko is in charge of the ravaged planet's agricultural renewal program. But, as she and Elim Garak and others strive to move the planet forward, there are forces determined to take it back to the days when the military ruled and to eschew all outside interference.

Andor: Ensign Thirishar Ch'thane is back from a
Jack
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I couldn't help viewing the 'Worlds' series as a necessary 6-novella hurdle on the road to catching up with the larger Trek lit storyline. Although it apparently continued the various storylines set up in the previous DS9 relaunch books - and so they needed to be read - I wasn't terribly interested in stories set solely on one world and in one society. I wanted to get to the Typhon Pact business post haste.

What a pleasant surprise that both stories were engaging, meaningful, and in the case of t
Trev
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lets review in two parts as it is a two part book.

Cardassia:
A quick read at 150(ish) pages. All the characters that we know from TV appear as you would expect them (top marks to the author there). The story is simple but its strength comes from how the different cultures face the situation. A good continuation of the O'Brien family story and its good to see Keiko in a positive light.
It is clear the the author really gets the Cardassian mindset with the political aspects of this book being enough
Nathan Burgoine
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this for two reasons: One, I really enjoyed Heather Jarman's work on the character of Shar (the Andorian) and wanted to continue his tale in her voice. Two, I needed mind-candy. Bad.

This delivers on both fronts. McCormack's 'Cardassia' story is a bit thin, a straightforward hostage taking, though it has the virtue of including Keiko and Miles O'Brien (who have been missing mostly from the relaunch of DS9 given that they retired to Earth at the end of the series - but Keiko moved to Cara
Dan
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ds9, star-trek
Cardassia: The Lotus Flower

Unsurprisingly, McCormack's work here is up to her usual excellent level. After the explosive "finale" of S.D. Perry's Unity, this first story in the Worlds of Deep Space Nine anthology felt much like some of DS9's season premieres: a soft re-tuning of the series' premise and a continuation of the story in a somewhat unexpected direction. This story of Cardassian recovery from the horrors of the end of the Dominion War is the perfect story to continue the saga of Deep
Robert
Aug 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Since this is really two novellas in one book, I'll review and rate the two halves separately.

The Lotus Flower by Una McCormack focuses on Cardassia, which is in a rebuilding and occupation phase after disastrously losing a war. I'd call it a soft occupation, since Federation military doesn't seem to play a part, but humans are in charge of their main setting for this story. The Cardassians are one of my favorite Trek species, and Garak is a fan-favorite. Unfortunately, Garak is the only interes
Daniel Devereux
Dec 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, science-fiction
Unlike most people I found the Cardassian portion of the book, The Lotus Flower, to be a bit boring. I really can't put my finger on what specifically I found that caused the story to drag. Maybe it's because Keiko seemed a bit of a flat character through out the television shows; Though when I read all of the lines I could almost hear her voice so bonus points for characterization.

Now I found the Andorian portion of the book, Paradigm, to be fascinating. In the TNG, DS9, and Voyager Andorians
Luke
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm usually not a fan of anthologies, but this was kinda necessary to continue reading the DS9 relaunch. I had a lot of trouble getting hold of these, eventually had to buy them in electronic format.

WODS9 continues with three volumes in varying time frames in the month after the events of Unity. Volume 1 contains two stories, the first set on Cardassia and following the adventures of the O'Brian family.

Kieko, Miles and family have relocated to Cardassia to help with the rebuilding. Our favouri
Johnny
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first part. A tale set in Cardassia with the O'Brien family and Garak. the second part was harder for two main reasons. One, the characters I assume was from the New Adventures of DS9, I had no background knowledge of the characters but the author made the assumption that you should so it took a while to get a handle on them even a little bit. Secondly, the author fell in love with Andorian words and titles which got confusing and I still couldn't keep the characters straigh ...more
Rybe
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is hard to rate, because I loved one half, really....really did not love the other half. I greatly enjoyed the Cardassia part of the story, and was curious to "learn" more about Andor, but the Andor story did not deliver. It came off as an awkward romance between two people I didn't have time to care about (I hadn't read much of what they were in before this, and even now that I have, I don't think it would have helped) with a convoluted plot that I just didn't really enjoy... But half is g ...more
Angela
This is really 2 novellas. One is set on Cardassia, with Keiko, O'Brien, and Garak. The other is set on Andor with characters introduced in the novel range. Both were interesting reading, Garak manipulating events is always a decent read. The Andor story was so involving especially if you had read the previous novels, basically a tragic love story. A good read.
Mark
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
The saga of DS9 continues in this first volume of a series set on the homeworlds of various characters. Una McCormack follows the new careers of Garak and the O’Briens on Cardassia while Heather Jarman takes us to Andor where we learn more about Shar and Prynn Tenmei. Both are satisfying reads and I look forward to new volumes.

Published in paperback by Pocket Books.
Barbara
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
even though the Andor story goes against canon it is the best of the two. I always try to see the books as seperate from the series. Almost like a different timeline or parallel dimension because a lot goes against canon or against what another author said.
Women At Warp Boo...: Worlds of Deep Space Nine #1: Cardassia and Andor 16 54 Aug 17, 2017 07:47AM
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny: Book One (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Prophecy and Change (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Day of the Vipers (Star Trek Terok Nor Book 1)
  • A Stitch in Time
  • No Man's Land (Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways, #5)
Una McCormack is a British writer and the author of several Star Trek novels and stories.

She has also written a number of Doctor Who novels and short stories.

Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (3 books)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)