Start by marking “Welcome to Romero Park (Night of the Victorian Dead, #1)” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Romero Park (Night of the Victorian Dead, #1)

Welcome to Romero Park

(Night of the Victorian Dead #1)

The unwitting attendees of a country ball are all too busy striving to hide secrets and make matches to see what’s going on around them until it’s almost too late!

Among the green and rolling hills of Old England, the fields lie ripe for reaping under a blighted Harvest Moon. While tenants and servants fear the eerie light, Mr. Dorchester invites several families of his acq
Published September 12th 2014 by Unchangeling Press

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Romero Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to Romero Park

The Irregular Reader
Romero Park is the ancestral home of Edward Dorchester, your classic haughty-yet-troubled gothic noble. It is harvest time, and Dorchester is planning a ball to celebrate the announcement of his engagement. But as the local gentry descend upon the manor, and the servants scramble to get everything in order, a fell moon rises on the proceedings, and a mysterious corruption is slowly working its insidious way through the manor house and grounds.

I wasn’t sure what I was in for when I started this b
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Gothic, SyFy
*Rating* 3.0

*Thoughts*

Welcome to Romero Park, by author Amber Michelle Cook, is the first installment in what is being called Night of the Victorian Dead series. This story, set in 19th century England, is being marketed as Downton Abbey meets Night of the Living Dead. It is a tale of secrets, romance, and suspense delicately laced with sly humor. The author was inspired by works of literature from Charlotte Bronte, Charles Dickens and Jane Austen, and in tr
S.K. Gregory
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Dorchester and Helgram families are coming together for a ball at Romero Park. Unfortunately the night will not go smoothly as the undead are roaming the grounds. Told from different viewpoints, the story unfolds slowly, with enough teasers to keep you hooked before things go from bad to worse. In a similar vein as pride and prejudice and zombies, I thought the writer did a good job of portraying Victorian times and the way of life back then. It was also nice to read about zombies in a diffe ...more
Simone Cooper
It took me a while to start this book. I know the author, which is always a little awkward, and she and I both knew the Victorian prose style probably wouldn't be to my taste. Finally I started it on a plane flight and found myself racing through it! I am happy to say, we were completely wrong. I am eagerly awaiting book 2! (hint hint)

While the language of the introductory chapters was a bit exaggerated--and almost put me off--I persisted, and suddenly by chapter three I had fallen in love with
Camly Nguyen

*I was given a copy of this book in exchange for a honest review*

This review will be posted(soon) on my blog at: www.bookbloggerz.weebly.com

When I first saw this book I was so excited. I was expecting some historical fantasy/suspense novel resembling a little to Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments series.
*Sigh* I didn't like this book as much as I hoped I would.

Here's why:

The whole first part of the book(which accounts for 33% of the novel is PURE PUUURRE FLUFF! You can literally
Lauren Roland
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who absolutely have to read every zombie book, ever
Shelves: victorian-lit
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This novel ends at the setting of the first of the three days of the Harvest Moon. However, the first book in a series needs to be able to stand on its own. Look at Harry Potter, Inkheart, and Magyk, to name a few. In every one of these, the villain is vanquished and wrongs are set right, even if the reader knows it will only be for a little while. I am sorry to say that Welcome to Romero Park does not succeed in
Aly
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Undead in Victorian times. Interesting! I think this book was good for me. I was not sure what to except from this book but I enjoyed it. It had a little bit of something different for me. There were times it was bit slow but for the most part this book was good. * I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
Swords & Spectres
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to Romero Park, as one might expect with a series entitled ‘Night of the Victorian Dead’, is very Victorian. So don’t go into it expecting a horror novel set in the Victorian times but light on the Victorian vocabulary and sentence structure. This book is heavy on both.

Ordinarily, novels heavy on romance aren’t the sort of thing that I go for. But I enjoy historical fiction and I enjoy zombies. So, naturally, when approached to review it I couldn’t say no!

‘Welcome to Romero Park’ is the
Clemency
When I got the review request for this novel, the first thing I thought was "Oh no. I hate zombies!" It's not that I have anything against zombies (I'm sure some of them are very decent) but ever since my sister used to chase me around the room in a Hallowe'en mask pretending to be a zombie, I have been really scared of them.

I'm pleased I agreed to review this book, however. It is a really interesting mix between historical fiction and zombie novels, with some spine-chillingly yet amusing encoun
Tricia
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted so bad to love this story, Pride & Prejudice meets Zombies, sign me up! Ultimately though it just wasn't for me. I'm okay with a slow burn, I don't mind waiting awhile to get to the payoff, but I never really felt like I got there by the end, unfortunately. To be honest the real build up didn't even seem to come into play until the second half of the book and it just never quite delivers on the action I was highly anticipating.

Besides the lacking action I had wanted, I also found i
Jen
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the guest are arriving for a ball, the tenants and servants are in a superstitious state due to the moon. Strange things happen to those who've died in Night of the Victorian Dead by Amber Michelle Cook but will everyone realize what's going on before something terrible befalls them?

To read this, and other book reviews, visit my website: http://makinggoodstories.wordpress.com/.

To celebrate the official announcement of his ward, Sophie's, engagement, Mr. Dorchester invites guests to his home,
Trish
Edward Pissmeoff
Eric
  • Weird New England
  • Pork Pie Hat
  • Confessions of the Serial Killer H.H. Holmes (Illustrated)
  • Johannes Cabal and the Blustery Day: And Other Tales of the Necromancer (Johannes Cabal, #4.6)
  • An H. P. Lovecraft Encyclopedia
  • Death at the Emerald  (Lady Frances Ffolkes #3)
  • Lenore - Purple Nurples
  • The Mall of Cthulhu
  • The Trench Angel
  • The Man Upon the Stair: A Mystery in Fin de Siecle Paris
  • Curious, If True: Strange Tales
  • The Dead Seekers (Dead Seekers, #1)
Amber Michelle Cook writes stories of deep, meaningful fun.

Partly raised in Germany, she went to an international school for high-school, majored in linguistics, loves literature and period pieces. She's also a photography/graphic arts artist of color and wonder living in the great Northwest.

In addition to leading improv writing tables, she’s Director of National Novel Editing Month and Facilitat