Jump to ratings and reviews

Baptisms: One? Many? Or Both?

Baptisms - There is so much confusion about the various baptisms in the Bible. Many think that every time they see the word “baptism” that water is involved.

* Did you know that there are 8 to 10 “baptisms” mentioned in the Bible?

* Did you know that only 2 of these baptisms mention water?

* Did you know that about half of these baptisms may be for Christians?

This book is an effort to help bring clarity to the "muddy waters" of Bible baptisms. If one does not understand which baptism they are speaking about, misunderstanding and erroneous interpretations are likely to follow.

Paperback

Published January 14, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Robert W. Dallmann

5 books156 followers
Robert (Bob) Dallmann was born in a small town in upstate New York, and lived a bit of a "wild life" until late 1983. In December of 1983, Bob repented of his sinful ways, and accepted Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection for him. Since that time, Bob has sought to live a fully devoted Christ-glorifying life. The following is a list of some of the things that have helped create Bob's writing style:

* Attended Bible School
* Billy Graham Crusades - Counseling Supervisor - Buffalo, NY crusades
* Full-time ministry in New York City (streets, homeless outreach, etc.)
-(Bob lived in NYC four years doing evangelism throughout the Big Apple)
* Several short-term missionary trips (Africa, Europe, North America)
* Evangelism
* Preaching and teaching
* Actively involved in internet and literature ministry
* Prison ministry
* Involvement with international students outreaches
* Counter-cult ministry outreaches
* Martial arts ministry (training since 1984)
* Children's ministries

Bob's love for Jesus Christ and the Bible combined with his years of varied experience and unique way of looking at things, make for very interesting reading.

Here are links to the ministries that Bob helps to lead:

ChristLife, Inc. - www.Christ-like.net
Warriors of the Sword - www.Warriors-of-the-Sword.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 13 of 13 reviews
Profile Image for Pamela.
29 reviews
July 19, 2020
In this book, Robert Dallmann presents the subject of baptisms as they appear in the Bible. Before reading "Baptisms-One? Many? Or Both?" I must admit that I did not give much thought to baptisms and how they differ. I certainly knew and read about baptisms in the Bible, but really didn't focus on the subject in depth. This very informative study has changed that. I now have a better understanding of the subject.

In the beginning of this book, the reader is presented with four questions to ask as they study the Bible:

1) Who is doing the baptizing?
2) Who is being baptized?
3) Into what are they being baptized?
4) What is the purpose of the baptism?

There are different types of baptisms discussed in the Bible. Not all are related to water. In fact, baptism in water is not needed for salvation. Salvation comes from repenting and having faith in Jesus, therefore, at the moment we accept Jesus and ask to be forgiven, we are baptized into the body of Christ.

This book explains the different baptisms in the Bible and what they mean. The " Believer's Baptism" is the one which is important to Christians. This is the baptism by water which Christians should practice. It is the baptism which represents salvation.

I found this book to be very interesting and very useful. It presents baptism factually and is an outstanding resource for personal Bible study.

*Special thanks to Robert Dallmann for providing me with a copy of this book for review.
February 26, 2019
One thing is clear as you read this book, the author's number one desire is to equip the saints. He digs deep into the word of God and takes us, the readers, with him. This book is great for a group or an individual study with precise lessons and follow-up questions. A valuable tool that Robert Dallmann stresses is the importance of context when it comes to scripture. He tackles head-on controversial topics as well as educating the different references to Baptism, such as John's Baptism, the Believer's Baptism, and more, using the "Four Question Test." I highly recommend this book.
Profile Image for Brian Eshleman.
818 reviews100 followers
October 5, 2016
This book was a gift from the author, both in the literal sense that he loaned it to me so that I could review it and because it was used of God to remind me of His ever renewing power.

As usual with studying Scripture, the author's argument that context is key is crucial for a biblical perspective. He reminds us that baptism has different meanings in different places, and he encourages us to investigate who is doing the baptizing and what the meaning in that particular text is. Baptism of the Spirit, he challenges, is essential, and it has nothing to do with getting wet. Water baptism, in his analysis, is an act of subsequent, loving obedience and testimony before men.

The text has the tone of a topical teaching, and this is neither good nor bad. Ringing phrases are absent, but perhaps the author is conscious of a desire not to get in the way of the wonder of his subject.
Profile Image for Robert Drumheller.
Author 0 books
February 17, 2019
The handout was very helpful as it details the various baptism's with their scripture verses in support.
Profile Image for Eric Scott.
Author 5 books5 followers
February 14, 2018
Baptisms: One, Many, or Both? is more of a brief topical study than an actual book. In sixty pages Robert Dallmann catalogs nine specific occasions where variations of the terms baptize and baptism appear in the English New Testament without employing the original language. This is not, and does not purport to be a scholarly work, so it would be wrong to critique it on that basis. Conclusions are based on a modern understanding of terms from a self-initiated four question test, as opposed to contemporary practices and protocol. Dallmann does a good job of parsing Scriptures to separate baptismal events. The writer appears to be a sincere man who seeks a deeper understanding of Scripture, sharing what he gleaned from a personal study without benefit of cultural or linguistic training. I would not recommend it to theological scholars.
14 reviews
February 4, 2017
I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway. Rebaptism is a subject in which I have been interested for a long time. I know there are many different opinions on baptism and on types of baptism. I found Dallmann's book interesting and informative. It was full of examples that really made me think.
240 reviews2 followers
January 7, 2017
This is an excellent source for differentiating the term baptism throughout the Bible. I will be referring to it when I have yet another hungry soul wanting to get closer to God through water baptism & ultimately through the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
Profile Image for The Book Man.
198 reviews2 followers
August 21, 2014
* Baptism in the Holy Spirit - Power to testify of Jesus.

* Baptism in the Body of Christ - Salvation.
Profile Image for Glen W. Covert.
Author 2 books3 followers
November 22, 2020
Robert W. Dallmann’s Baptisms: One? Many? Or Both? is a must read for any Christian because in it, he works to correct a common misnomer that there are just one or two types of Christian baptisms. He clearly identifies and briefly describes the many types of baptism that are apparently mentioned in the New Testament. He also stresses that his book is a stepping stone for everyone—especially Christian believers—to study the New Testament deeper.

Baptisms is an easy read, but sometimes it can be difficult to follow because of many redundant sentences. Additionally, while a quick read, it lacks a smooth flow because many paragraphs are one or two sentences long. Those sentences and Dallman’s points would be clearer and more powerful if those sentences were linked together as multi-sentence paragraphs. Furthermore, the amount of sentences in bold are distracting. An editor could have corrected these issues.

Despite the needed editing, Dallmann did a superb job correcting the common misnomer. As an added bonus, he gathered all of the Bible verses that he cited together in chapter 16.
Profile Image for Read-n-Bloom.
301 reviews9 followers
July 11, 2020
This is a great book on the different baptisms in the New Testament of the Bible. If you didn’t realize there were different baptisms, then this book is for you. If you always thought, baptism was only to do with water, then this book is for you. It’s a great study tool. I learned so much, because I knew about water baptism and the baptism of the Holy Ghost, but was confused on the others. This book helped me to study with a “Four Question Test” you apply as you’re studying and it will help you understand more. It’s just a great little book and study tool. I thank the author for giving me the opportunity to read and review with my honest views and opinion. I truly appreciate it greatly.
2 reviews
October 16, 2022
Very eye opening

I did not expect to learn there was so many baptisms in the New Testament. This book did a good job briefly explaining the difference between them and their importance. This is a very insightful book and brings clarity and gives you tips for your own personal study on baptisms
Profile Image for John McCann.
Author 1 book4 followers
October 30, 2014
Before I read this book, I thought the baptisms mentioned in the Bible were easily identified. Dallman did a fine job of identifying the baptisms and applied a simple four question rule to understand the baptisms. Dallmann left out a small detail in the book of Acts where believer’s baptism in water was “in the Name of Jesus”, versus the “Father, Son, and Holy Ghost” of Matthew 28:19. One denomination, the Assemblies of the Lord Jesus Christ, believe the believer’s baptism in water, should be vocally done, “in Jesus Name”. However, Dallmann states the purpose of the book is not a comprehensive study. I disagree with the purpose of the baptism of suffering/martyrdom is to further the gospel. I believe the purpose of this baptism is to learn obedience to a high level (Phil. 2:8; Heb. 5:8). Overall, the book is well written and easy to understand. Dallmann appears to have a desire for the reader to be edified in these Truths.
Profile Image for Robert Dallmann.
Author 5 books156 followers
September 2, 2016
The subject of "baptisms" can be a very emotion driven topic. There is so much controversy and confusion that the subject is often avoided.

While writing about the baptisms found in the Bible, I have attempted to take the approach of holding to ONLY and EXACTLY what the Scriptures say.

This book, "Baptisms - One? Many? Or Both?" is designed to provide easy-to-use tools to help identify and differentiate one Biblical baptism from another. Once baptisms have been identified, then the studying can begin.

It is my prayer that the readers will find this book to be as valuable a tool as I have.
Displaying 1 - 13 of 13 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.