Start by marking “Starflight (Starflight, #1)” as Want to Read:
Starflight (Starflight, #1)

Starflight (Starflight #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  9,322 Ratings  ·  1,965 Reviews
Life in the outer realm is a lawless, dirty, hard existence, and Solara Brooks is hungry for it. Just out of the orphanage, she needs a fresh start in a place where nobody cares about the engine grease beneath her fingernails or the felony tattoos across her knuckles. She's so desperate to reach the realm that she's willing to indenture herself to Doran Spaulding, the rich ...more
Published February 2nd 2016 by Disney-Hyperion

YA Novels of 2016
1,231 books — 9,552 voters
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
1,278 books — 6,906 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi, 2016
"I guess we're stuck with each other."
"Guess so," she said. "Too bad you make lousy tea."

3 1/2 stars. Out of all the 2016 releases promising exciting things, lots of action, thrills aplenty and badass pirates, Starflight might have been the one I expected the least from. I heard bad things about Landers' Alienated and the blurb doesn't even try to hide the romance (including, it would seem, a bunch of cliches).

The only thing drawing me in was the comparison to Firefly. And, you know what? It w
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
With her back turned, she loosened each plait until her hair hung in waves that curled around her waist. Then she spun to face him and puffed a sigh.
“Fine. You caught me. I guess there’s no use pretending anymore.”
Doran settled in and waited for the punch line.
“I lured you onto this ship,” she said, “because I couldn’t get enough of your scintillating personality.”
There it was.
“Kiss me, Doran,” she cried, flopping onto the mattress with one arm slung over her eyes and the other clutched to her
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(3.5)

This was a really entertaining read! I mean, there's SPACE PIRATES in this book. How can it have space pirates and not be a fun read?! This book also reminded me a bit of the Lunar Chronicles, but it's obviously VERY different, it just had a similar vibe to it.

My main problem with this book comes from one of the characters & his character development. It just felt a bit out of place and sudden. But other than that this was a super fun read and I'm glad I took the time to read it. I'll
Lola  Reviewer
Anyone for a terrific, action-packed and unforgettable adventure in space?

Hop in! You know you want to.

I wish I could say that I’m not surprised Starflight captured my interest so fast and held on to it until the very last page.

But the truth is, I very much am.

I’m one of those readers who are wary of YA science fiction because, most of the time, it doesn’t make any sense to me. And the nomenclatures always manage to destroy my excitement for a sci-fi book.

Except, Starflight is everything a sci-f
Melissa Landers
Aug 20, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Woohoo! Starflight is here! But I keep hearing my characters' names mispronounced, so here's a quick phonetic guide. It's Doran (DOOR-IN) *not* Dorian, and Solara (SO-LAW-RUH). Hope you guys enjoy their story. :)

Let's talk about Starflight!

Like my other books, Starflight is a light sci-fi romance, but there are no aliens this time, only humans. (Sorry, Aelyx.) This story involves westward expansion on a galactic scale, and I pitched it to my editor as "Overboard" (one of my favorite romantic co
Navessa
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
"He released a tired chuckle that lifted one corner of his lips, and for a split second, a tiny pair of angel wings fluttered behind Solara's navel."

...wut...

Welcome to Yet Another Generic Teen Romance.

IN SPACE!

I...honestly don't know what to say about this book, other than that. Take every bad-boy turned good, enemies to luvvas, misunderstood female trope you can think of and add a splash of Mean Girls, a dash of Firefly fanfic and sprinkle it with starlight and you have this story.

This boo
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I just thought I would take a little detour from my currently reading and pulled this little gem off one of my tbr bookcases. I'm so glad I did because I loved it! It felt so good to just pick something, read it and love it!!! ❤

So, Solara is trying to get across the galaxy and start a new life because she was set up my her so called jerk boyfriend. She got in trouble, he didn't, she got the tattoo's to prove it, he didn't. Now no one wants anything to do with her.

She gets kicked out of the home
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
“I’m loving your criminal mind right now.”
“Careful, you’re speaking Jackass again.”

This book, you guys, this damn book is so fun! I am someone who doesn't even usually enjoy cute books. I prefer darker plots with heartless sadistic characters. Starflight couldn't be more opposite. I want to say this was my first Sci-Fi (that took place in space). I read this last year, loved it, then forgot about it . . that is till i heard about Starfall a few days go. I am sorry, how the hell did this escap
Cait • A Page with a View
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD. Usually when I read action scenes I'm like "blah, blah, punch, whatever," but every single scene in this book was perfectly executed and seriously needs to be a movie. It kind of reminded me of the tv show Firefly in a way with the renegade spaceship's quirky crew and the reaver/daeva things on the outer fringe. Except then throw in some pirates aaaaand a whole bunch of other fun stuff. There were so many moments where I laughed out loud!

Honestly, it's just such a relief t
C.G. Drews
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Oh this was a FUN surprise. I didn't have mega high expectations because Alienated was cute but a bit unimpressive. But Starflight?!? It was like Cinder meets Guardians of the Galaxy (!!) and it was actiony and funny and and punchy. TOOT TOOT, I'M BOARDING THIS INTERGALACTIC SHIP.

I haven't read a lot of sci-fi (space opera?) before this? So I literally have zlich to compare it to. But it's basically about Solara (WHOSE NAME IS JUST A BIT CLICHE C'MON. Solar???? Galaxies???? HUH) who is a crimina
Simona Bartolotta
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
"She’d learned that home was a fluid thing and whether on a planet, a satellite, or a rusted bucket of a ship, this crew was her home."

•Therefore, obviously, the first and loveliest thing this book has to offer is a gigantic ton of camaraderie. The assortment of our crew is superb: in addition to the main character, Solara Brooks, at only eighteen already orphan, mechanic and convicted felon, we have "a bespectacled kleptomaniac, a star-crossed seducer and (view spoiler)
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
This may have lacked depth and been cheesy at times, but boy was it a bucket of fun.
sreeja (semi-hiatus)
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
starflight is one of those really fast-paced and fun novels that you need to read to see how amazing it is. I've put off reviewing this sooooo long because honestly i have 0 clue about what i should say about this.

reasons why you just gotta read it:

-There is a really strong female mc who isn't afraid to do whatever it takes to get whatever the heck she wants. She has a reallyyy great set of skills and at heart she is loyal and kind and she gave me serious Rey vibes (which is great because i lov
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
rounded down to 4.5 stars

this book tells us about an 18 years old girl named Solara Brooks. She lives in orphanage for 18 years.
She has a plan. Her plan is to go the outer realm to start a new life.
and that plan cause her to meet an 18 years old boy named Doran Spaulding, who bullied her all through high school.
but Solara has no money to go to the outer realm so when she meets Doran and he's the only person that can "help" her because no one else wants to hire her as servant because of her knuc
☆☽Erica☾☆
This was very charming and enjoyable.

It started out kind of rough, as indicated by my updates, and had a bunch of quotes that were just like ???? Like at one point the bitchy girl told Solara to pick up her dog's poop and was like "you'll recognize it cause it's the color of your hair." I'm paraphrasing but ???? Um brown? Like the most common hair color? Like mean girl DYES her hair pink, but other than her, it seems that normal genetics and hair colors are still happening here...soooooo......

On

Book One of the Starflight series
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: February 2, 2016
Rating: 5 stars
Source: ARC won from a giveaway

Summary (from Goodreads):

Andie
Science Fiction books are usually a hit or miss with me but I love the genre so much that I'm constantly keeping my eyes and ears open for the next great read. And guess what? STARFLIGHT was a HIT!!! Oh my goodness did I love this book. It had a little bit of everything; space adventure, strong characters, fun and witty banter, slow burn romance, and space pirates. That's right, space pirates!

18 year old Solara Brooks, fresh out of the orphanage, is off to the fringe for a fresh start where she
Katerina Kondrenko
9.5 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
Icon For Hire – Sorry About Your Parents
Broods - Taking You There
ZZ Ward – Home

Genre: sci-fi, fantasy, upper-YA
Stuff: space, pirates, adventures
Fail: convenient circumstances
WOW: pacing, characters, humor, romance
POV: 3rd-person, she/he
Love-Geometry: zero

Quote-Core:
 “C
Nastassja

Buddy-read with my amazing shipmateKaterina *wishers* let's hijack Starflight ship, get Doran and Rhy on the board and serf the universe together :D

Actual rating: 4.5

...flies a small ship Banshee manned by fugitives: a captain with a sugar bear pet; a bespectacled kleptomaniac; a star-crossed seducer; a mysterious girl with a shady past; a convicted felon; an heir to Spaulding empire. They are on the run from ruthless chief of Brethren pirates and his crew. But pirates are the least of proble

Fafa's Book Corner
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner !

Beware spoilers ahead!

This book was recommended to me by my GR friend Alyssa! I had heard about this book from Netgalley. Around the time Passenger was available for request. At the time I didn't think much of it. It sounded like some space book that I wouldn't enjoy. It wasn't until I read Alyssa's review that I was sold! I do like reading Sci-Fi books with a large focus on the characters. And I am happy to say that I did enjoy this one!

The book begins wit
may ❀

I feel like I’m the only person in the world who didn’t enjoy this book. That makes me sad and it makes me feel like I’ve been reading the wrong book

But I will be a positive muffin about this and channel all my sadness and disappointment into writing a review :)

See, everyone wins.

Cons
- The characters feel so monotone to me. It feels like solara’s only purpose is to hate on doran
- Doran himself is my biggest annoyance with this book. He is as fascinating as a piece of overcooked broccoli.
- T
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
3.5 STARS

Starflight was a quick and light read for me. I certainly had lots of laughs and enjoyed each and every one of the characters but as much as I liked the story, I didn't really LOVE it.

There were lots of funny moments. Lots of adventures and even SPACE PIRATES, which I all enjoyed but nothing really stuck out to me or made this book memorable compared to anything else I've read. In fact, I just kind of skimmed the last 30 or so pages because I slowly began to lose interest in the story.
Kells Next Read
People, People Starflight was is Fantastic.

I have absolutely no freaking regrets about reading this book. I love love love love everything about it. The leads, the minor characters the storyline and that build up, to one of the the most Awesomenesstic ( yes peeps, this book will cause you to make up words to describe how great it is ) relationship between our leads Doran and Solara.

Read this book. Get this book. Read this book when you get it. Then re- read it and then tell people to go read a
Justine
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reread: December/January 2016
I did a reread of this with the audiobook version because I thought maybe my kids would enjoy it, and they did! Honestly it is sometimes a challenge finding a book they both like, so that was a huge win. Amanda Dolan did a great job with the narration. She has a lively intensity about her voice that added to the story, and her voice acting for various characters was subtle but effective.

Now we are all excited for the upcoming sequel, Starfall.

Read: June 2016
Solara is
Frankie Lovely
Review to come

Oh wow!
This book is so much fun!
I loved this read so much!!!

Sad thing is, I hear that all the things I love about this book are missing in book two so now I'm a little worried :(

But .... it was awesome to be on such an epic, fun, cute space adventure!
destini mia
Feb 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
I just can't do it anymore.

I kid you not, I got more entertainment out of these pole dancing animals than I did to Starflight.

I mean, look at that. It's so weirdly cute.

DNF 20%
Melissa
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Oh this book was SO MUCH FUN! I know in a lot of reviews for this book they compare it to Firefly, and I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but it is definitely like the YA version of Firefly. It does have a lot of similarities, however I found it original enough to not care at all! Just so much fun!

Solara is looking for a new life on the outer realm. She has a piece of land with her name on it. She just has to get there. She must indenture herself to a wealthy traveller in order to pay for
Jaime Arkin
4.5 stars rounding to 5!

I’m a huge fan of Melissa Landers and for good reason! She writes fun sci-fi YA that I just can’t seem to put down.

Starflight is the first in a new series for her and I was so excited when this finally arrived that I dropped everything to read it… and as I said above, it wasn’t even possible for me to put it down once I started.

Solara Brooks and Doran Spaulding are from two completely opposite ends of the life experience spectrum. Solara, who grew up in an orphanage, s
Kristen
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
My review of this and others on my blog My Friends Are Fiction

My Thoughts:
Starflight was so much fun to read- it had all the things that I love in a science-fiction novel- rag tag ship crew, hate to love relationship, space-pirates, lots of action with a dash of romance. This was more in line with the Firefly type of science fiction… no heavy science talk or theories to digest. The pacing was fast with equal amounts of action and witty dialog between the characters.

This story starts with the ma
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Melissa Landers’s Starflight has been receiving some pretty enthusiastic reviews lately, full of praise for the cleverness of its plot, excellent dialogues and the author’s wicked sense of humor. If you’re familiar with Landers’ debut, Aliented, I’m sure you know that humor is her strongest selling point, but even in that Starflight is far superior. I was surprised by this book’s spirit and charm, not to mention the loud bursts of laughter it surprised out of me. The words ‘pirates in space’ sho ...more
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • Bluescreen (Mirador, #1)
  • Future Shock (Future Shock, #1)
  • Spinning Starlight
  • Railhead
  • Revenge and the Wild
  • Inherit the Stars (Inherit the Stars #1)
  • The Forbidden Wish (The Forbidden Wish, #1)
  • Warcross (Warcross, #1)
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Flashfall (Flashfall, #1)
  • The Sun, the Moon, and the Truth
  • Blackhearts (Blackhearts, #1)
  • Pitch Dark
  • The Impostor Queen (The Impostor Queen, #1)
  • Stay Until We Break (Hub City, #2)
  • Vicarious (Vicarious, #1)
**Receive news, updates, and exclusive excerpts from Melissa by subscribing to her e-newsletter!**

Melissa Landers writes romantic sci-fi & fantasy for teens and the young at heart. The Alienated trilogy (ALIENATED, INVADED, and UNITED) is now complete! STARFLIGHT is available, and its companion novel STARFALL releases in February. Look for THE HALF KING, first in a new fantasy duology, in 2018
More about Melissa Landers

Starflight (2 books)
  • Starfall (Starflight, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
  • Circe
    $13.99 $4.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
“Scoot over," she whispered.
The mattress shook with his movement.
"A little more," she said.
"If I get any closer to the wall," he hissed, "I'll have to buy it dinner.”
64 likes
“She had no idea what the future would hold for any of them, beyond possibilities as infinite as the stars.

And really, that was enough.”
36 likes