Start by marking “The Charity (The Jessica Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
The Charity (The Jessica Trilogy #1)

The Charity

(The Jessica Trilogy #1)

Jessica Wyeth was born with traits she just could not hide - beauty, cunning, and an innate ability to survive.

Jessica is blocked from taking her rightful position in the lucrative family business of high stakes horse racing by her farm's manager and top trainer, Gus Adams. When Gus is found brutally murdered, all evidence points to Jessica. Terrified, she runs and become
Published September 11th 2012 by Charylar Press (first published September 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Charity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Charity

Start your review of The Charity (The Jessica Trilogy #1)
Dale
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This strong debut novel by Connie Johnson Hambley gives a solid tale of secret societies, betrayal, assassins, and delayed justice. A young woman is forced to run for her life and assume false identities to escape the consequences of a series of tragedies. The story shows her adapting to her new life on the move, spending years avoiding personal entanglements and any limelight. When she is discovered, years later, she makes a final stab at putting it all right, causing explosive repercussions. ...more
Louisa Dwyer
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A twisting and gripping longer length thriller. The descriptive prose of landscapes is excellent and the overall idea of the ‘Charity’ is interesting and believable. There were more than a few genuine surprises in the plot and I found the main characters absorbing. Very good!
Aya Walksfar
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it

The prologue sets the stage for a journey through an organized terrorist group spanning a number of years. There are twists and turns and unexpected jogs, but everything flows together and makes perfect sense. There are surprises, yet with a solid reason for being there. Good descriptions help the reader visualize the scenes and the dialogue feels real. The basis for the story is set up well in the first chapter.
Jessica Wyeth, the protagonist, makes her first appearance in Chapter 1 and I immed
Melanie
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually heard about this book from a card left in a geocache in Hamilton, Mass. I looked it up and it sounded interesting.
Though I'm not a horse fan, I quickly got invested in the story and even found myself returning to hamilton a few times before finishing the book. It was a lot longer than I was expecting, almost could have been two books with all that happened. It was interesting to see how things were related and I was a little disappointed that it ended a smidge more abruptly than I ex
Joan Wright Mularz
In "The Charity," Connie Johnson Hambley has written a thriller that keeps you riveted. Her main character, Jessica, is a beautiful woman born into a wealthy family but a terrorist organization eliminates everyone she loves. When she is wrongly accused of one of the murders, she goes into hiding and works to clear her name, despite becoming a terrorist target herself. The reader is kept wondering how she will survive and whom she can trust.
Connie
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: written
The tightly woven plot moves quickly and readers love the suspense (even if it does keep them awake all night). Using the IRA and terrorism as a backdrop, the story is rooted in current events which gives the book a realistic feel. I wrote the story to pull the reader along on a thrilling journey. It's not a fanciful, pie-in-the-sky thriller, but one that readers say is well-conceived, well-researched and well-paced. I hope you find it a worthy and satisfying read.
Andrea
Shelves: bookclub-books
I always appreciate a well written mystery novel. The twists and turns kept me up reading late until the night and thankfully the ending was not a neat wrap up. It was nice to recognize the local and Boston setting, but then travel to other parts of the country and the world while learning about the history of the Irish conflict. Great book for a bookclub discussion
Aileen
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-books
Jodi Slomsky
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book kept me guessing as to what was going to happen. I really liked the character development. I liked the fact that it took place locally and I could relate the area. It reminded me of The Pelican Brief. I can't wait to see what happens in the sequel.
Helen
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful, page turning. Can't wait to read the next one in this trilogy.
Yvette
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish I could give it 4 1/2 stars. (I'm stingy with my 5s) This book was a whirlwind ride from start to finish. I had a really hard time putting it down.
Laurie Bryce
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was impressed by how the author builds suspense and keeps you guessing about the characters and their motivations, and sustains that throughout the entire length of the novel.
Rich
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! So many twists and turns. Kept me guessing until the very end. Would recommend it to anyone who enjoys thrillers. There is also a bunch of information regarding horse raising, training, and racing. It was also interesting to realize this book was written in 1996 and how much has changed in Ireland since then. I donated this book to my local library so that others can enjoy it! Am also planning on reading the next two novels in this series. Well done, Connie! Thank You!

Maggie Galen
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that annoys me because I can't put it down and forget to go to sleep with! It has a bit of everything that makes for a great read - mystery, intrigue, suspense, history, relationships and incorporates the horse world in a wonderful way! It's also well written and have a perfect pace. Just when you think you've figured out what's happening, Connie Hambley switches things up!!

Can't wait to read The Troubles next!
Nancy NM
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read

Grew up on the North Shore. Nicely woven tale of past events, murder, and family. Page turner, kept me reading into the wee hours.
Satin
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jessica doesn't know it, but her whole life has been affected by a web of lies and deceit. From the comfortable wealth of her family home and stables, to the fact that she's been orphaned at a very young age; from her skill and love of working with horses to the moment she's accused of murdering a long-time family friend and father figure, everything she's ever known has the unseen fingerprints of an organization she doesn't even know exists.

Now forced to run for her life, Jessica be
Jill C Baker
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled on Connie Johnson Hambley at a bookstore event and walked away with The Charity, not knowing what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. Her writing is intelligent, and her style, crisp. The story moved along quickly and the characters had enough depth to attract and hold my interest. Lots of intrigue, set against equestrian culture. How best to describe? "personal journey wrapped in a political plot." "Substantive."
Julie
I couldn't finish it . . . too many mistakes. UPDATE: Connie, the author, actually reached out to me. We had coffee and discussed improvements and she made corrections in the next printing. Impressive!
Kristine
Feb 15, 2013
Laurie  Miles
Jul 15, 2015
Karen
Couldn't get into it, so stopped reading.
Pamela Mansfield-loomis
Jun 02, 2014
Sharon Riddle
Aug 14, 2014
Book Promotions: Free Kindle Download April 1 - 3 1 4 Mar 31, 2014 09:54AM
Book Promotions: Author Event - Newburyport, Massachusetts 1 5 Apr 25, 2013 09:11AM

• The New American Bible
  • God Never Blinks: 50 Lessons for Life's Little Detours
  • Seth Speaks: The Eternal Validity of the Soul
  • House of Sand and Fog
  • Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence
  • Touching Heaven: A Cardiologist's Encounters with Death and Living Proof of an Afterlife
  • Holy Bible: The New Testament And Psalms: Revised Standard Version
  • Unbound: A Practical Guide to Deliverance from Evil Spirits
  • Before I Was Me
  • Daily Companion for Young Catholics
  • Saints: Who They Are and How They Help You
  • Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy #2)
  • Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance
Connie Johnson Hambley grew up on a small dairy farm just north of New York City. In 1965, an arsonist burned her family's barn to the ground. From that experience grew the stories that have become "The Charity" and "The Troubles."

Hambley writes about strong women from their perspective in situations that demand the most from them. No special powers, no gadgets, no super human abilitie

The Jessica Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Troubles (The Jessica Trilogy #2)
  • The Wake (The Jessica Trilogy #3)