Start by marking “The Valiant (Star Trek The Next Generation)” as Want to Read:
The Valiant (Star Trek The Next Generation)

The Valiant (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  370 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Twenty years before the start of Star Trek: The Next Generation, a young Lieutenant called Jean-Luc Picard takes command of his first ship, the USS Stargazer... The USS Stargazer, a long-range exploration ship commanded by Captain Ruhalter, is assigned to pick up descendents of the survivors of the USS Valiant, a ship that was lost at the far edge of the galaxy in the very ...more
Published November 27th 2001 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Valiant, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Dark-Draco
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This has to be my favourite Star Trek novel that I have read so far. There are so many cool things wrapped into it - it references classic ST episodes and Captain Kirk, it sets up plot lines that are resolved in other books and it shows Picard in his first command - what more can you want?

The Valiant disappeared centuries ago when it was forced to cross the Galactic Barrier. A buoy was found stating that the Captain had to destroy the ship when one of its crew developed superhuman abilities and
Steve
This book attempts to tie in the fifth Star Trek movie with Picard before he was a captain, and I'm afraid to say it doesn't really work. To my mind, having Picard as the second officer on a rather small ship was a mistake, since the captain and first officer should be able to sort out anything, but making him the first officer from the get go would have been too obvious -- but it was anyway. The characters didn't really feel three dimensional, and sadly, most of the plot twists were obvious. I ...more
Garrett Shepard
Second ST book finished. The premise of this book was pretty good, the little mystery within as a good addition to the story. However, the story seemed to jump from scene to scene without any break, but that could be due to the Kindle format. Also, the part that bothered me the most was how the story was resolved. Let just say it was a little unbelievable. As far as the setting and some of the background information, which was not the author's fault, but it went completely against the Next Gener ...more
Mårten Ericson
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
There is no way this book has an average on 4. And that's comming from a Star Trek fan. This is a 2.5 book. It's not bad but the language is simple, there are no descriptions what so ever and the plot is neither intriguing nor very dense. The book is useful as a lesiure read on a hot summer day when you don't mind skipping a page here or there. An if you do, you won't miss a thing!
rivka
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: startrek, bookswaps
An entertaining look at a young Jean-Luc.
John (JP)
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story of Captain Picard 1st command. Often alluded to in the series but never fully fleshed out. This was a good read.
Timothy
Fantastic tale of how picard becomes the youngest capt. in history.
John
Mar 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
It was great.
Buddhagan
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
This novel wasn't as great as some of the other TNG ones. I read the ebook format which seemed short; my nook said 162 pages. I can't put my finger on what was lacking but at least I know some of the background of Picard's 1st command. If you want to read the novels in a somewhat chronological order, read this before the Stargazer series.
John
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
USS Stargazer’s latest tour of duty, second officer Lt Commander Jean-Luc Picard, is ordered to investigate the rumors of an alien species, the Nuyyad, that is reportedly planning to invade the Federation.

The Captain of the ship dies during a battle, while his first in command enters a coma, leaving Jean-Luc Picard acting captain. After a subset of the crew fails to mutiny, Picard solidifies his role as the leader of the and captain of the ship. They finally head off across to the Galactic Barr
Drake Tungsten
Drake Tungsten I enjoyed this book very much. I liked finding out how the character of Picard became the person, and the captain, we see today.

This book, the beginning of the "Stargazer" series, starts off with Picard as the second officer of said ship. It was very enlightening to see the way that he looked for a balance between the command style of his captain and the first officer in terms of developing his own style.

He wasn't as reckless as his captain, but neither was he as "by the book" as
Shane Amazon
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Valiant was a fun and enjoyable read. It's storyline answered many questions left behind by Star Trek The Next Generation. Especially how Commander Picard became Captain of the Stargazer. Although the characters are well thought-out some aspects of both the characters and the story are pretty predictable. Not an epic tale but a fun one nonetheless
Evelyn
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall this book was amazing and from the start just had a speed that a Star Trek book has. I loved how the Michael the author put the Original Series and the Next Generation together and kept it up throughout the book. This is a must read for Next Gen. fans.
Cary Spratt
Decent story. I hadn't really read anything focusing on Picard pre-Ent-D so it was nice to see him in this setting. Several nods to TOS episodes, including the tetrahedron cubes, which made me laugh when I thought back to the TOS episode with those cubes.
Todd R
Jul 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: trek-tng
Not worth the time to read. Began shuffling through this one after about 120 pages in...Very predictable from the get go, nothing new here. I will attempt book 2 simply to get more of Picard's history.
Jonathon Laudinsky
Jul 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
The Valiant covers the rise of Picard from the stargazers second officer to its captain after a mission crossing the galactic barrier. How Picard lead the stargazer to defeat a potential hostile alien invasion of the federation, stop a munity, and find a saboteur among his crew.
Mike
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
I didn't like this quite as much as Friedmans other Star Trek stuff. The enemy is just a faceless plot device, Picard advises Starfleet to limit contact with Kelvan colony because 1 scientist was a jerk, etc. Still good though.
Victoria Gaile
Mar 10, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, is this awful.

I guess the sound effects are kind of neat. But good heavens, the heavy-handed writing.

It'll do to clean house by, I suppose.
Joe
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
No such thing as to much Stargazer.
What a great crew.
Mike really brings them to life.
Benjamin Plume
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Read the Stargazer series, so I felt as though I had to go back and read this one as well. Not bad, but a little boring since the story was already rehashed ad nauseum in the other books.
Batya7
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Good solid Star Trek!
M
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Abridged Audio Book version. Its much better on TV. reading Star Trek is not as good as watching it.
Scott
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun- like a new episode of Star Trek!
James
Michael Alexandrov
rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2011
  • The Genesis Wave: Book 1 of 3
  • Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Kill (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Hate (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • The Devil's Heart (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Q-Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation #48; The Q Continuum, #2)
  • A Time to Harvest (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #4)
  • Dragon's Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #38)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #13)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Exiles (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #14)
  • Blaze of Glory (Star Trek: The Next Generation #34)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
Michael Jan Friedman is an author of more than seventy books of fiction and nonfiction, half of which are in the Star Trek universe. Eleven of his titles have appeared on the New York Times Best Seller list. Friedman has also written for network and cable television and radio, and scripted nearly 200 comic books, including his original DC superhero series, the Darkstars.
More about Michael Jan Friedman...

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)