Start by marking “The Valiant (Star Trek The Next Generation)” as Want to Read:
The Valiant (Star Trek The Next Generation)

The Valiant

(Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Twenty years before the start of Star Trek: The Next Generation, a young Lieutenant called Jean-Luc Picard takes command of his first ship, the USS Stargazer... The USS Stargazer, a long-range exploration ship commanded by Captain Ruhalter, is assigned to pick up descendents of the survivors of the USS Valiant, a ship that was lost at the far edge of the galaxy in the very ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 279 pages
Published December 2001 by Pocket Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Valiant, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Benjamin Feltz
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jerry
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Friedman is not among my favorite Star Trek authors, and books like this are why.
D. H.
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: stargazer
Again I enjoyed reading a Star Trek novel because it was well-paced and easy to read.

After trying (and failing) to get through a couple of SF classics, these books are coming as a relief.

There are a few negatives, and it may seem like I'm pointing out the obvious here, but there's a ton of fan service. Maybe because I'm a TNG fan, I didn't notice this much in Reunion because I got all the references.

However, I'm not a TOS fan, and all I know about Gary Mitchell and the Kelvans comes from discuss
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I've tended to blow hot & cold on Michael Jan Friedan's writing in the past...but this is easily the best of all his "Star Trek" novels that I've read to date. The tale of Jean-Luc Picard's rise to command the Stargazer is an exercise in crisp, concise, exciting, emotional storytelling in the best "Star Trek" tradition. This is a novel I practically inhaled -- a rollicking adventure from start to finish.
Dan
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, tng
Overall, a fascinating and satisfying novel that chronicles the events leading to Picard taking command of the Stargazer. I enjoyed the character-building for the crewmembers of the Stargazer that we see in other novels. I wasn't initially very interested in reading the Stargazer novel series, but after revisiting Reunion and reading The Valiant for the first time, I think I would like to see more about these characters.

Full review: http://www.treklit.com/2019/02/Valian...
Dark-Draco
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This has to be my favourite Star Trek novel that I have read so far. There are so many cool things wrapped into it - it references classic ST episodes and Captain Kirk, it sets up plot lines that are resolved in other books and it shows Picard in his first command - what more can you want?

The Valiant disappeared centuries ago when it was forced to cross the Galactic Barrier. A buoy was found stating that the Captain had to destroy the ship when one of its crew developed superhuman abilities and
Steve
This book attempts to tie in the fifth Star Trek movie with Picard before he was a captain, and I'm afraid to say it doesn't really work. To my mind, having Picard as the second officer on a rather small ship was a mistake, since the captain and first officer should be able to sort out anything, but making him the first officer from the get go would have been too obvious -- but it was anyway. The characters didn't really feel three dimensional, and sadly, most of the plot twists were obvious. I ...more
Mårten Ericson
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
There is no way this book has an average on 4. And that's comming from a Star Trek fan. This is a 2.5 book. It's not bad but the language is simple, there are no descriptions what so ever and the plot is neither intriguing nor very dense. The book is useful as a lesiure read on a hot summer day when you don't mind skipping a page here or there. An if you do, you won't miss a thing!
rivka
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookswaps, startrek
An entertaining look at a young Jean-Luc.
John (JP)
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story of Captain Picard 1st command. Often alluded to in the series but never fully fleshed out. This was a good read.
Timothy
Fantastic tale of how picard becomes the youngest capt. in history.
John
Mar 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
It was great.
Buddhagan
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
This novel wasn't as great as some of the other TNG ones. I read the ebook format which seemed short; my nook said 162 pages. I can't put my finger on what was lacking but at least I know some of the background of Picard's 1st command. If you want to read the novels in a somewhat chronological order, read this before the Stargazer series.
C Moore
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would give this 4.5 stars if I could! Finally, the detailed story of how Lt. Cmdr. Picard became the captain of the USS Stargazer. Definitely worth the read for any fan of TNG and/or Picard.
Elizabeth Cole
Not bad

Not bad not great but not bad either. A really ok star trek experience. I would recommend if your a fan of Picard.
John Barclay
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was an interesting idea (Picard's early life) but it really didn't work as a book for me. Too many elements, too many different plots all coming together with WAY too much last minute rabbits.
John
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
USS Stargazer’s latest tour of duty, second officer Lt Commander Jean-Luc Picard, is ordered to investigate the rumors of an alien species, the Nuyyad, that is reportedly planning to invade the Federation.

The Captain of the ship dies during a battle, while his first in command enters a coma, leaving Jean-Luc Picard acting captain. After a subset of the crew fails to mutiny, Picard solidifies his role as the leader of the and captain of the ship. They finally head off across to the Galactic Barr
Daniel
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
In order to really enjoy this novel, you'll want to re-watch or at least be familiar with these episodes:
'Where No Man Has Gone Before,'(Gary Mitchell becomes a super human because of the strange properties of the Great Barrier) 'A Rose By Any Other Name,' (Introduces the Kelvans as a race of super aliens who come from the other side of the Great Barrier) both from the Original Series, and 'The Battle,' from the first season of The Next Generation (the one where Picard speaks at length about his
Drake Tungsten
Drake Tungsten I enjoyed this book very much. I liked finding out how the character of Picard became the person, and the captain, we see today.

This book, the beginning of the "Stargazer" series, starts off with Picard as the second officer of said ship. It was very enlightening to see the way that he looked for a balance between the command style of his captain and the first officer in terms of developing his own style.

He wasn't as reckless as his captain, but neither was he as "by the book" as
Shane Amazon
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Valiant was a fun and enjoyable read. It's storyline answered many questions left behind by Star Trek The Next Generation. Especially how Commander Picard became Captain of the Stargazer. Although the characters are well thought-out some aspects of both the characters and the story are pretty predictable. Not an epic tale but a fun one nonetheless
Peter Hale
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very good book, and its a great read for "Picardos". I never could've dreamed Picard became Captain in such insane circumstances and I would like for Paramount to make a story like this as a movie.
Evelyn
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall this book was amazing and from the start just had a speed that a Star Trek book has. I loved how the Michael the author put the Original Series and the Next Generation together and kept it up throughout the book. This is a must read for Next Gen. fans.
Cary Spratt
Decent story. I hadn't really read anything focusing on Picard pre-Ent-D so it was nice to see him in this setting. Several nods to TOS episodes, including the tetrahedron cubes, which made me laugh when I thought back to the TOS episode with those cubes.
Todd R
Jul 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: trek-tng
Not worth the time to read. Began shuffling through this one after about 120 pages in...Very predictable from the get go, nothing new here. I will attempt book 2 simply to get more of Picard's history.
Jonathon Laudinsky
Jul 05, 2009 rated it liked it
The Valiant covers the rise of Picard from the stargazers second officer to its captain after a mission crossing the galactic barrier. How Picard lead the stargazer to defeat a potential hostile alien invasion of the federation, stop a munity, and find a saboteur among his crew.
Mike
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
I didn't like this quite as much as Friedmans other Star Trek stuff. The enemy is just a faceless plot device, Picard advises Starfleet to limit contact with Kelvan colony because 1 scientist was a jerk, etc. Still good though.
Victoria Gaile
Mar 10, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, is this awful.

I guess the sound effects are kind of neat. But good heavens, the heavy-handed writing.

It'll do to clean house by, I suppose.
Joe
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
No such thing as to much Stargazer.
What a great crew.
Mike really brings them to life.
Benjamin Plume
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Read the Stargazer series, so I felt as though I had to go back and read this one as well. Not bad, but a little boring since the story was already rehashed ad nauseum in the other books.
batya7
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Good solid Star Trek!
M
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Abridged Audio Book version. Its much better on TV. reading Star Trek is not as good as watching it.
  • The Genesis Wave: Book 1 of 3
  • Q & A (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Kill (Star Trek: A Time to... #7)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Devil's Heart
  • Dragon's Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #38)
  • A Time to Harvest (Star Trek: A Time to... #4)
  • Doors Into Chaos (Star Trek: Gateways, #3)
  • Q-Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation #48; The Q Continuum, #2)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek - The Next Generation: The Second Decade #4)
  • Blaze of Glory (Star Trek: The Next Generation #34)
  • Preserver (Star Trek: The Mirror Universe Trilogy, #3)
  • Greater than the Sum (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #13)
  • The Soldiers of Fear (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #41; Invasion, #2)
  • Exiles (Star Trek: The Next Generation #14)
Michael Jan Friedman is an author of more than seventy books of fiction and nonfiction, half of which are in the Star Trek universe. Eleven of his titles have appeared on the New York Times Best Seller list. Friedman has also written for network and cable television and radio, and scripted nearly 200 comic books, including his original DC superhero series, the Darkstars.

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)