Start by marking “Q & A (Star Trek: The Next Generation)” as Want to Read:
Q & A (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Q & A

(Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Nearly two decades ago, Jean-Luc Picard took command of the U.S.S. Enterprise™ NCC-1701-D. The captain knew it was an honor without equal. His new command bore the name of Enterprise. The people who had commanded other like-named starships had gone down in Starfleet's annals. Some officers would be intimidated, but they would not have been given command of Enterprise.

On
Mass Market Paperback, 295 pages
Published October 2007 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Q & A, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Q & A

Start your review of Q & A (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
Jerry
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm short on time again today, so, let me be brief: This was an interesting look at the enigmatic being known as Q.

Content Concerns: At least five or six uses each of the h-word and d-word, and almost as many of the a-word; at least one p-word; sci-fi action violence throughout (as you'd expect); references to a sexual relationship between two unmarried characters, though nothing graphic is mentioned.
James Williams
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
When I was growing up, I read more than any kid in my classes: and it was almost entirely licensed fiction: Star Trek and Star Wars mostly. Even today, I still maintain quite the collection of these books, even though I rarely indulge.

These days, I prefer more original works (though I still happily do most of my reading in the speculative fiction genres). The limitations of licensed novels are both stifling and well known: the individual author has no power to grow or change the main characters
Christopher
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adam
Apr 18, 2020 rated it liked it
A strong 3.5. The ending was a bit anti-climactic and wrapped up a bit too neatly, but that's often the case with Star Trek novels. But anything with Q is generally awesome, and this book was no exception. I'm also a fan of anything that moves the Star Trek timeline past Nemesis.
Dan
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek, tng
Q & A exceeded my expectations. In a literary universe that at times seems inundated with Q's misadventures, I was glad that this novel didn't feel like more of the same. It really did feel like the "ultimate" Q story, with meaning retroactively applied to all of Q's previous canon visits. The concept of Q is a dangerous one and very easy to overuse, but Keith DeCandido has the writing skill to make this feel fresh and unique. One of my favorite novels in the post-Nemesis continuity, Q & A was a ...more
Noelle Walsh
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Q has always been one of my favourite villains and this book drove that home even further. Once I got into the story I could hardly put it down (mainly doing so when I had to do something). This book was a fast read for me once I really got going and I really enjoyed it.
John
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Next up on the post-Nemesis litverse reading list was Q&A, a book by the same guy who wrote the novel Articles of the Federation, which I found to be a travesty. That being the first book by DeCandido that I've read, my first impression was, needless to say, not so good.
But as I read Q&A, something happened that rather surprised me. I found myself enjoying the novel. It is an intriguing blend of a light-hearted adventure with serious undertones, and features enjoyable dialogue with one of Star
John Cipolla
Library book acquired on 2/25/2016. So far its a lot of intertwining stuff we already knew with new stuff. Seeing the new dynamics of the crew in different positions is cool. Q made a mistake giving Riker the Q powers instead of Picard. Nothing new yet. So far all rehash stuff.
J.L.
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: january-2020
Disclaimer: I am friends with the author; however, I purchased this paperback at full price.

This twentieth-anniversary celebration of Star Trek: The Next Generation novel is a fitting tribute to the lasting mark Q has left on the franchise. And I can’t think of a better writer to infuse Q’s ridiculousness into text form.

This story includes many new and familiar faces from the Star Trek universe, but they’re all up to the task of sorting out this good, wacky mystery that spans from a single plane
Kai Knetsch
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was abit disappointed. After reading the last novel in the series, and by the title of this book, I was hoping it would be mostly about Picard being in a court martial, after directly disobeying Admiral Janeway's orders. But strangely, it seems that Picard is allowed to continue going on another mission, as if nothing happened. Janeway is even in this novel, and she has no problem with him. Very strange.
I also thought the author got some of the character personalities a bit wrong, such as Geo
▫️Ron S
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, star-trek, sci-fi
Intended as a grand event book, the culmination of all the Q encounters of the past (across TNG, VOY, and DS9), the novel succeeds in being readable but not especially rewarding or great.
The 20th anniversary novel for TNG (not mentioned anywhere on the cover, but remarked upon in the Afterward).
What Q&A does best is focus on Miranda Kadohata and Zelik Leybenzon as the new CO and security chief. I'm looking forward to them growing on me, but the start they're given here isn't all-too remarkable,
Zachary Lysobey
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bought this at a used book store in the East Village, and it ended up being signed by the author!

This was a cool book, centered around "Q". I thought it was really cool because it tied together all the appearances of Q throughout ST the series' and put them all into a shared, cohesive context. Very impressive for something that is non-canonical.

I've read only a handful of ST novels, but this one really stands out.
Gareth Brown
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
i felt the need to read some actual star trek with some actual star trek characters after watching star trek discovery. And while this is a familiar road and with the ever amusing Q, I felt it took a long time to get to its important moments and then was over without much actually happening considering this was a universe ending event.
toastywindow
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
And this one is on par with The Dreams of the Raven.

Lots of elements that I don't care, one which are the secondary characters that are just here in the novel. Another element is there are too many perspectives from different characters, that again, I don't care about. Just a few such as the recurring Romulans from the film Nemesis and Riker and Troi, from the Titan ship.

But are you really going to give me a last minute Qcard moment like you have no right to do that to me. I wish we had more of
Racek
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Skip this one

Skipped reading much of it and still got the story. Not that good. Too many connections to past stories, distracting the reader from the current story line plot which was too similar to several earlier plots.
Yvette
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unlike the author I was never a Q fan. But I am a fan of DeCandido. My fellow NYer actually made me enjoy Q a little more.
DeCandido’s novels always reads like I’m watching an episode of Star Trek. I can always envision the dialogue coming out of each character’s mouth.
Very enjoyable read.
Steven
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was one of my favorite Star Trek novels. There was plenty of action and intrigue woven into every page. What a thrilling addition to the Q story line. This novel would have made a fantastic episode or movie. Excellent writing for sure!
Brett
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
In Star Trek book terms this is like a 7/5.
Doreen
May 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Can’t say this is my favorite...
Eileen
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: media-tie-in, signed
In all fairness to DeCandido, I think Q is very hard to pull off in prose format. Too little, and he seems watered down, too much (as happened here), and he's just a tiresome insult generator. I think this book was just too short. In addition to the Q plot, DeCandido also had to introduce several new members of the Enterprise bridge crew, which took up a lot of pages.
Cornerofmadness
Brian
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
The author (Keith R. A. DeCandido) has to be the most talented writer in the Star Trek bullpen when it comes to dialog. The man can make almost any conversation about anything reasonably interesting and I've enjoyed his writing in the past. With Q & A, Keith attempts to tie together all of Q's appearances throughout the various shows in an attempt to put some greater purpose behind his interest in the humans and Jean Luc in particular.

While the answer is interesting - and the particular thing th
Bookworm
Feb 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-trek
I guess it might be just me, but DeCandido is a terrible writer. I've read another one of his works, "Articles of the Federation" and had trouble getting through that one as well. At first I had assumed that he had been trying to emulate the show 'The West Wing' in novel form and it just didn't work. Now I'm pretty sure it's just his writing. The book started off promisingly but I never felt any attachment to any of the characters and felt the author tried to put in far too many scenarios--he ne ...more
Maurice Jr.
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For those of us who have followed the show and wondered why Q kept bothering Picard and the Enterprise and wondered why he did the things he did, this is book is a must read. All the answers are here.

On a simple survey mission, Captain Picard thought the most difficult challenge he faced was to integrate his new command crew. Commander Miranda Kadohata is Data's handpicked replacement to succeed him as science officer/ops, and Lieutenant Zelik Leybenzon is Worf's choice for security chief.

Their
Jen
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jen by: Tim
Shelves: science-fiction
I really adore Q, so I had high hopes for this story. Unfortunately, though, he is written in a very unlikeable way, and I found him annoying and lacking in his trademark wit. Also, the author's attempt to connect every single one of Q's appearances on all of the Trek shows into one cohesive plot was far too ambitious, and so fell pretty flat.

For such an ambitious plot, there was an awful lot of filler: whole chapters introducing random characters from across the galaxy for no purpose other than
Christian
Oct 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to know what Q was really up to ...
Mr. DeCandido does a great job melding many of Q's previous appearances (as well as keeping track of everything else going on in the Trek Novelverse) into a story where Picard destroys the universe.

Warning: If you're not familiar with Next Generation Trek, forget it, you may be able to follow the book some but you'll be missing out on plenty.

And that warning is really the big problem of the book: it grabs so much history that in the end ... nothing new happens. At all. Events happen a certain wa
Stephanie
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like Star Trek books but I do not read many of them and Janice and I have not bought very many in the last few years. In fact, had she not been Tuckerized in this one, we probably would not have bought it. Having said that, however, I am glad we did. It is a fun romp with Q (I assume you guessed that from the title) and the scattered crew of the Enterprise E.

If you want to know what it means to be Tuckerized, drop me an email and I will explain.

The story is about the impending end of the unive
Elizabeth Perez
I really enjoyed this book until the last ten percent or so because it got a little confusing and it just fell a little flat for me. I did enjoy this though. There were many sweet parts where Data was mentioned and some hilarious parts with Q.

"Q rolled his eyes. "Here is comes. It amazes me that Vulcans even managed space travel, given how much time they've wasted on being pedantic." He grinned. "Of course, they developed space travel before they became boring, which probably explains it. Ah, th
Patrick Hayes
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
You're not going to enjoy this book unless you've seen A LOT of Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes. Cut to the chase, after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis, the Enterprise-E and it's, mostly, new crew encounters something odd on a planet. This "occerence" is also effecting other parts of all the other universes. If there's been a supporting character in Trek that's had a spin-off book, or series, that character appears in this novel. It's a very tidy weaving of EVERY Q appearance from ever ...more
Derek Moreland
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
« previous 1 3 next »

• Resistance (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #2)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek - The Next Generation: The Second Decade #4)
  • Greater Than the Sum (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)
  • Orion's Hounds
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • A Time to Be Born (Star Trek: A Time to... #1)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Star Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War
  • A Time to Die (Star Trek: A Time to... #2)
  • Q-Squared (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Unsettling Stars (Star Trek)

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 105 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)

News & Interviews