Start by marking “The Shaping of an "Angry" Black Woman” as Want to Read:
The Shaping of an "Angry" Black Woman

The Shaping of an "Angry" Black Woman

The Shaping of an "Angry" Black Woman is the debut book of poetry by author Tamara Woods. Written over 15 years, each poem challenges conventional society and is poised with acerbic, witty, and abrasive language that is reflective in the often discussed isotope of society, that being the "Angry" Black Woman.
In the words of Tamara herself:

"I wore anger like it was my favori
ebook
Published January 25th 2014 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about The Shaping of an "Angry" Black Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shaping of an "Angry" Black Woman

Start your review of The Shaping of an "Angry" Black Woman
Lisa
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did it really take me two years to read this book? Well, yes and no. I often start books and put them aside for another day. Sometimes it's because the book doesn't grab me, or I'm not in the right mood, or I don't have enough time. It doesn't matter. This I picked up and put down many times, read a poem here and there, flipped back and forth out of order, read straight through in the order of the book, etc. That's how I do poetry. I take my time, I turn it over and examine it a few times, I thi ...more
Laura Lord
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
She nailed it. Every piece moved the reader fluidly through a tale of growth and learning, of breaking down and building up. Parts left me in tears, while others had me, fist raised in the air, wanting more and more. I cannot wait to see more work from this talented poet!
Linda
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Almost every time I read one poem, I had to put it down for a minute and think. Not only did it give me something to think about, but it also made me want to write something on my own - it was just so beautifully written that I felt beyond inspired to rise to the level at which these poems were created!
How so few words can show such a long history - how it can show such a harsh history - I'll definitely read it more than once. I admired every page of this book/collection of poems, and I highly r
Cynthia Scott
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love poetry, you will love "Angry" Black Woman. Tamara weave a "Mean" story within her poetic tales. Taken from her perspective as a Black Woman, and there is beauty in the rough and sacred. Personal favourites include Ink's Pain, Math Atheist, and Snow Fall.

I really love poetry, and I especially love poetry that tell a story.

So, go check it out! Is really good!
Starr Bryson
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful poetry that packs a punch. Tamara's words will leave you laughing, crying, and sometimes feeling like your heart is breaking . . . but in a good way. She weaves her life, her pain and her triumphs into amazing poetry that hits hard, reads well, and evokes a lot of feeling.
Amy Tasukada
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit I don't really that much poetry, but wanted to start reading more. I bought this book first an loved with. Tamara had such wonderful prose. I would read and stop and think how wonderful the line is, how the imagery came out into my head. Excited to see more from this author.
Nicole
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written. An inside look into the author's soul. Some poems made me laugh out loud and others made my heart cry. Very descriptive language. A must read.
Brie
Jul 12, 2020
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Apr 16, 2015
Tamara Woods
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Celeste Noelani McLean
Pam
G L Meisner
Keri Johnson

• The Pernicious Pixie and the Choked Word
  • The Killer Knight and the Murderous Chairleg (Point Muse #1)
  • It's Not Summer Without You (Summer, #2)
  • A Blade So Black (Nightmare-Verse, #1)
  • Strangers
  • The Sun Is Also a Star
  • The Forgotten Girl
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
  • Girl Made of Stars
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1)
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Autoboyography
  • Dark Tribute (Eve Duncan, #24)
  • Shattered Mirror (Eve Duncan, #23)
Tamara Woods was raised (fairly happily) in West Virginia, where she began writing poetry at the age of 12. Her poetry takes a close look at the human condition, particularly race relations and classism. Her first poetry collection "The Shaping of an "Angry" Black Woman" is available for order at Sakura Publishing site and at Amazon.

She has previous experience as a newspaper journalist, an event