Start by marking “Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)” as Want to Read:
Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)

Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)

3.31  ·  Rating details ·  646 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The Jarada are a mysterious race of insectoid beings with an extreme devotion to protocol. When this usually reclusive race offer to open diplomatic relations with the Federation, Captain Picard and the U.S.S. Enterprise are quickly ordered to Jarada to negotiate the exchange of Ambassadors.

When the ship arrives, the Jarada seem uncharacteristically friendly. They invite P
Published June 1st 1992 by Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about Imbalance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imbalance

Jerry
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
This one was just okay.
The Fizza
Mar 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Negative Stars... Sooo many Negative Stars

Countless numbers of readers have shared the shameful joys of the franchise novel over the years, whether it be X-Files, Indiana Jones, Mission: Impossible or even Highlander. Together we've followed our favorite characters/creatures/worlds into comics, novels and whatnot... But there are some novels, in just about every franchise, from Halo to Star Wars (K.J.A. I'm looking at you) where the reader can't help but realize - 'it must've been written on a b
Craig
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
I don't like bugs and this book had a lot of them. I appreciated that Keiko was a major character in this story along with another return of Dr. Selar who definitely gets more appearances in the novels than on the show. Pretty standard story with a not so surprising finish.
Arwen
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
A run of the mill Star Trek novel, but I love the TNG cast. And this book has a very interesting setting and alien race.
Nicholas
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek-tng
There's a danger to reading older TNG novels, especially ones involving secondary characters that were fleshed out further during the show's later seasons (or in subsequent series). Often, the depictions that authors paint of these characters doesn't line up with the characters as we've come to know them and the entire book itself loses a lot of luster accordingly.

I bring this up because of a lot of V.E. Mitchell's book revolves around a meandering and poorly integrated subplot involving the rec
Toastlover
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
These days when I see a Star Trek novel at a used book sale, I pick it up (if I don't remember having read it as a kid) for nostalgia sake. I have read a diverse enough selection of fiction at this point in my life that I do not anticipate that these novels be anything more than mildly entertaining and comfortingly familiar. A reminder of my geeky childhood before I knew the difference between fan fiction and "real books." Most of the time, I find exactly what I expect.

In the case of "Imbalance
glass.curtain
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the book, it felt like reading an episode and would recommend it to all TNG fans.

Only by sheer luck did I stumble across this book. It was simply on sale for 1 pound and I couldn't walk past a Star Trek book for such a low price, no matter what (ok, maybe if it were an Enterprise book...). For 1 pound it feels like a steal, 'cause the story is on point (there is some meandering, but since the chapters are rather short, one forgets bad subplots fast), the characters are on point (except fo
Isabel
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi, startrek
apparently this is almost completely unreadable past the age of 14 or so. it gets its second star because i'm so familiar with it that it's an effective "comfort read" to fill up some time before i'm ready to go to sleep.

most notably, the characters are totally flat except for where they're fleshed out by national stereotypes (which is ridiculous because THERE ARE ALIENS, so who gives a crap if you grew up in a "traditional irish family"). i will refrain from a discussion of gender dynamics and
Nathan Burgoine
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it
This was another solid Trek: Next Generation novel, in that it dealt with a race that was teased on the show, but never seen: the Jarada. Now obviously, an insectoid race wasn't going to happen on the budget of a weekly sci-fi show, and this book filled in much more about the race.

The Enterprise is called to a Jaradan colony, and the crew must unravel what is going wrong with the colony - something seems "off" right from the start - and as Dr. Crusher and a few others of the away team are down
Cary Spratt
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, star-trek
I know I read this sometime in the distant past, but I actually couldn't finish it this time around. 2 stars for the interesting insectoid aliens, but no more than that because of the Keiko/Miles side story. I put this novel down in disgust when I got to the part where Miles is complaining to Troi about Keiko being on the 'dangerous' away team. Troi tries to get him to understand his wife better by remarking that in some parts of Japan, the husband is expected to take the wife's family name if i ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Jun 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
I wanted to give this four stars -- for the most part, it's classic TNG-era storytelling, with a bit of bite. Nicely written action, a solid handle on the regular cast, and an engaging storyline about a reclusive race. There's even an unexpectedly poetic turn of phrase every now and again...

However, O'Brien & Keiko are depicted as far too shrill & cliched for their own good. Their backgrounds have always influenced their characters, but turning one into a macho-thick-obnoxious Irish whin
Denise Link
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Sometimes you just want to read something familiar and undemanding. This fit that bill, but the O'Brien/Keiko subplot did not resonate with the characters I remember, so that was jarring. Where did THAT come from? And the medical issues in the plot--they solve a worldwide deficiency in some random trace elements, but a few scrapes and bruises are a huge danger? And don't get me started on the whole medical "issue" with Keiko. No, sorry. Can't recommend this one.
Craig
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
I think I enjoyed these novels more as a kid...now they are kind of dull or weird. This one was on the more boring side and I feel the author didn't have a great grasp of the characters. Many felt very different from the ones we knew on the show. Plus the whole keiko/miles thing throughout the book was just annoying. And it went on at parts and then just suddenly wrapped up very quickly. Not the best Star Trek novel.
Angela
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good TNG novel, a team based one. The Enterprise are called to a world inhabited by ant like creatures to forge a treaty. Keiko, Worf, Crusher and Riker go on cultural tours of the world. Things go wrong and a mystery has to be solved. The alien race is truely different, and there is a sense of danger throughout the book. It was nice that Keiko was involved with the plot, and was just as important as the other members of the away team. Well worth a read if you like the show.
Richard Evey jr.
Nov 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Competently written, with a story equal to many from the show itself. Liked the continuity nods without overdoing it. Insects aliens are a good choice for the novels since they're almost impossible to pull off well in live action works.
Jim Morrison
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
I admit to start off, I'm not a big fan of insectoid beings. I don't know if that was it or the quality of the writing in general, but I didn't think this one was as good as other Star Trek books I have read lately.
Sean Randall
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Despite not being episodic in the least (Crusher's dialogue would never work onscreen) I quite enjoyed this. Even though it didn't really stand out, it was better than the last Trek I read.
Mike Grady
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010s
An engaging read. One of the better in the series.
Bill
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Fairly typical TNG book. Nothing to "write home about." Sorry... :)
Stephen Hinton
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was a good quick read. I have always like TNG
Camille
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek, 2014
So slow... so painfully slow.
Sphinx Feathers
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I picked this up because I enjoyed it a lot in previous years. It's not as good as I remember, but I still love the characters.
Katie Buerk
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Got to love those Crusher saves the day books.
Emese
Jan 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
Odd species to feature, but thumbs up for the amount of Dr Crusher. The O'Brien's are featured in this novel.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Not bad. I did enjoy especially the swapping perspectives as each crew member picked up a piece of the puzzle once they were separated.
CJ
Feb 16, 2014
Don
rated it it was ok
Oct 11, 2012
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • Exiles (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #14)
  • Doomsday World (Star Trek: The Next Generation #12)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • The Romulan Stratagem (Star Trek The Next Generation,#35)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #13)
  • Guises of the Mind (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #27)
  • Here There Be Dragons (Star Trek: The Next Generation #28)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Sins of Commission (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #29)

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)