Start by marking “Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)” as Want to Read:
Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)

Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  621 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Dante Maxima Seven -- a world known to its inhabitants as Imprima. A world where Madragi -- huge social/economic entities wealthy beyond compare -- control the fate of millions...

Years ago, William Riker was part of the Starfleet delegation that opened Imprima to the Federation. Now the disappearance of an old friend -- Teller Conlon, who also served on that team -- draws
Mass Market Paperback, 278 pages
Published January 1st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Fortune's Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortune's Light

Jerry
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one, especially the subplot of Data discovering baseball via a computer simulation. As someone who grew up on gaming, that part was very fun to me.
Ibis3
So-so. There were definite problems with adherence to the canon in both the A plot (before the first season of TNG, the Federation didn't know much about the Ferengi and had never seen them) and the B plot (people at the beginning of the 21st century in the Trek universe were busy fighting and recovering from the Eugenics Wars to be playing baseball, right?). I found the state of women's equality to be somewhat lacking for being several hundred years in the future instead of the author's time of ...more
Craig
Sep 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
What's more boring than baseball? Reading about a game of baseball... It seemed like this book was supposed to be some intriguing mystery with Data learning baseball as a subplot but it's all terrible and boring. Thankfully it's a quick read but if you don't like baseball don't read this book.
Arwen
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Have to have my yearly visit with the cast of The Next Generation. Yet this one just was ok, it felt like a rejected episode script.
Anna
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek, 2017
Let me start by saying that Riker's a total d*ck in this one. Doesn't look like it at first glance, but he is.

Plot A moved at a snail's pace until Riker got skewered. The irony of it is that that was the moment when it dawned on me that a), you can completely remove Lyneea from the book and nothing'd change story-wise, and b) our intepid commander has more chemistry with the good Doctor, and their interaction/banter was far more enjoyable to read, which is ironic.

Plot B lost me completely. Not o
Craig
Sep 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
One of the worst Star Trek novels I've read in a while. The Riker part of the story was okayish, but the whole data baseball part felt like a waste of print. Neither Riker or data have ever shown any interest in the sport so it felt pointless and didn't really add anything to the story. Now Wesley... I've never had negative feelings towards him. He was just a character that was there. But in this book...it's the first time I've ever wanted someone to cause him bodily harm. Is character was beyon ...more
Angela
Jan 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read only half this book and just had to stop reading. It's quite bad. Riker goes on a detective journey to find an old friend, while Data discovers Baseball. The Riker storyline - well, not that much happens in the first 100 pages, and its quite boring. The Data storyline, I really didn't care about at all, I think you'd have to be a fan to enjoy it. Shame really, I've liked this writers other books.
Cary Spratt
Mar 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned, star-trek
Zzzzzzzz... huh, wha? Oh, right, my review.

In a word: boring. The 'Riker looks for a stolen artifact' plot was underwhelming, and as for the 'Data plays baseball on the holodeck' side plot, well, I'm the sort of person that takes a scifi novel TO a baseball game, not the sort that has any interest in reading a scifi novel ABOUT a baseball game.
Joey Slawinski
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
The story is a good one. There is a Data b-story, however, which didn't really fit in with the a-story at all. It was a interesting diversion, but every time one of those chapters came up I kept wishing it would get back to the real story. I also found that Mr. Friedman got some of the vernacular wrong, especially in the holodeck scenes.
Anni
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
Not a very good reading. The A-story isn't so bad, especially at the end it picks up the speed, and becomes fairly ok, but the B-story was pointless and boring. I couldn't care less about detailed description of baseball, an American game which I know very little about and don't care about at all. If it was some Data character moment to show sow growth, it failed to deliver.
Daniel Kukwa
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Another harmless, pleasant read from the TNG universe...although this one has the added pleasure of introducing the obsession some characters in the "Star Trek" universe have with the nearly "extinct" game of baseball. It would take DS9 to truly milk this trait for all its worth, but Michael Jan Friedman handles it rather sweetly in this novel.
Nathan Burgoine
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Old pal of Riker ends up accused of theft of a culture's priceless artifact, and the bearded and burly second officer must prove him innocent. Not a faboo story, but mind-candy of a Trek nature. I used to devour these like said candy, but I took my Trek any way I could find it.
Devero
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Una storia tutto sommato debole, che utilizza il "Guardiano dell'Eternità" per mettere una pezza ad una trama abbastanza improbabile ruotante attorno a Riker, a Deanna Troy e Worf, con salti temporali.
Martijn Hartman-maatman
Another story that promises much, but delivers none. Some lame story about an object that is stolen and recovered, mixed in with a LOT of baseball crap. Definitely not what I would expect from a syfy novel.
Mish
Jul 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
I was quite into Star Trek Next Gen when I read this, but is was so incredibly poorly written and the plot so bad it just didn't do it for me, even for a fan willing to overlook some flaws to get a dose of a favourite show.
Bradley
Apr 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Average fare for Next Gen novel. It was an engaging read but left me wanting for more. The baseball thread was boring. Only amusing for a rabid Trekkie I suppose.
Matt
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Amazing Data storyline. If you're a fan of his journeys towards humanity, you'll probably enjoy this.
Camille
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Riker goes on a secret mission to save an old friend's reputation and Data learns about baseball. Meh.

By the way, the author of this novel is Michael Jan Friedman not T.L. Mancour.
Reuben Herfindahl
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
A Riker novel, but a generic kinda boring one. It's very true to a average episode of the series.
Jeff
Feb 04, 2008 added it
I read all these "Next Generation" books in middle school/early high school. Even then I thought most of them were pretty bad. But I'm a completist so they must be included in my book list!
Daniel Wolf
Robert
Dec 07, 2015
Cindy
May 13, 2008
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • Doomsday World (Star Trek: The Next Generation #12)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • Into the Nebula (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #36)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Foreign Foes (Star Trek: The Next Generation #31)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #13)
  • Possession (Star Trek: The Next Generation #40)
  • Sins of Commission (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #29)
  • Guises of the Mind (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #27)
Michael Jan Friedman is an author of more than seventy books of fiction and nonfiction, half of which are in the Star Trek universe. Eleven of his titles have appeared on the New York Times Best Seller list. Friedman has also written for network and cable television and radio, and scripted nearly 200 comic books, including his original DC superhero series, the Darkstars.
More about Michael Jan Friedman...

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)