Start by marking “It Starts with the Egg: How the Science of Egg Quality Can Help You Get Pregnant Naturally, Prevent Miscarriage, and Improve Your Odds in IVF” as Want to Read:

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  392 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Whether you are trying to conceive naturally or through IVF, the quality of your eggs will have a powerful impact on how long it takes you to get pregnant and whether you face an increased risk of miscarriage. Poor egg quality is emerging as the single most important cause of age-related infertility, recurrent miscarriage, and failed IVF cycles. It is also a major contribu ...more
Published March 25th 2014 by Franklin Fox Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about It Starts with the Egg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Starts with the Egg

Sarah Silver
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this book so helpful. You hear about things like BPAs and other chemicals being bad for you, but I was never sure exactly what I should be avoiding and to be honest it all just seemed too difficult. This is the first book I've read that really puts it all together, explains what you should avoid and what the risks are, and also what positive things you can do, what nutrients are important, etc. I also had no idea how much much of an impact you could make to your fertility by making a few ...more
Lynn
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This books takes dry and challenging scientific material and puts it in a very digestible way for “laymen”, with action plans based on your infertility issues. I am so glad I found this book. Now, to start changing my life in the hopes it’ll finally result in an actual IVF baby.
Dawn
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I rated this a 3 only because I've done extensive research as I've been TTC my first for over a year. I've had two missed miscarriages due to chromosomal abnormalities and two chemical pregnancies. I was hoping to read about something new to try as all my testing has been normal. I do think this book would be helpful for women who haven't done extensive research like myself. Lots of good topics.
Cheri
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick read. I liked the breakdown of different supplements and their effects. There sections on how to improve sperm and egg quality were helpful. To my chagrin, there were a couple I've already tried from the no-no list. Lots of research info with the corresponding list of studies to back it up. Where I'm from there's no sex-ed and infertility isn't talked about, so I'm grateful to have access to facts.
Sarah kendall
To much focus on ivf

I bought this book as I thought it be an interesting read as am trying too conceive. But it did focus too much in pcso and ivf for me plus it's more American orientated and an in the uk. Alot of references to studies. The only but I found interesting is the best supplies to Take and that has helped me find a brand to use. Okay for the 99p i paid, glad it wasn't much more.
Shawna P.
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I first started reading this thinking I was going to read another book with the same regurgitated information I have read before. However, this book was in a class of its own. Really informative and covers things I would not think of. Yes, some parts get very granola and scare you from a lot of things, but unlike most books, it has lots of research backing it up. Great for anyone TTC.
Holly Holloway
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best fertility help book I’ve read thus far and I’ve read several. It puts a ton of scientific info into understandable terms. It’s a quick read packed with great info on supplements and diet. If you are just beginning your journey or have been trying for years, get this book!
Gathigia
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Meredith LeVind
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
new approach for improving egg quality and fertility ( suggestions on diet, supplements and products)
Interesting...
Star Kent
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book very informative and full of tips that I am going to try. It's very quick and easy-to-read. Great book for women struggling with infertility or miscarriages.
Michele
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
What I Liked

I really enjoyed reading this book. I liked that it talked about the pros and the cons about different supplements. I also liked that it talked about the research behind the supplements instead of just saying “take this”. The book also has different “plans” depending on what issues the woman is having. Some advice out there I feel might be too extreme for some women who are on their first cycle so I like that there is a balance for those who are trying naturally, those that are on t
Kelly Smouse
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life! Generally it is well written and thorough. It explains so much that my doctor's never mentioned, and everything is backed by real science. Personally, I have textbook PCOS. I followed the recommendations for PCOS and after 30 days I ovulated naturally for the first time in 3.5 years! While this book is specifically about trying to conceive, I would recommend it for anyone just looking to control their PCOS, as multiple PCOS symptoms have improved since I've been follow ...more
Alicia
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book. Gives great information on how to improve egg quality, sperm quality, and generally improve your chances of giving birth to a healthy baby. Seems trustworthy. I'd suggest it to anyone trying to conceive, especially those who are preparing for fertility treatments like IVF.
Victoria
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This is such a concise, informative and easy to read book with a lot of useful information that should be available to everyone. I would very much recommend it to anyone who has had recurrent miscarriages or unexplained fertility issues, or is undergoing or about to undergo IVF.
Karin Katherine
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An amazingly concise, easy to read and informative book on what you can to increase your egg quality and fertility through diet and supplements.

One of the best books on the subject that every one should read.
merry smith
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative!

I have multiple ivf failures and this book helped me understand what may be happening and how to increase our chances of a successful cycle in the next few months.
Mie
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book because of her positive attitude with evidence-based medicines. I would recommend it to my friends who want to get pregnant!
Janixa
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book for anyone struggling with infertility or going through IVF! So many great tips to help better your chances at becoming and staying pregnant!
Rema Awad
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great info

This book was very informative and useful for everyone going thorough the conception process. A very quick read. Very practical advice too.
Vicki
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Informative and very upfront about sources and the degree to which what she's saying has been proven, hinted at, or even disproven.
Hollis
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: infertility, science
This is insanely well-researched, and I refer to it regularly as we navigate IVF. I recommend it to everyone I know who is either beginning their TTC journey, or moving towards ART.
Catherine
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book. Very informative!
Hilary
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
A very dry read, but full of good information and references for those looking for answers to infertility problems.
Vicky
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great data on BPA and other nutrients and environmental things that could affect not just fertility but overall wellness.
Lauren Busuttil
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of books and articles but this was the most helpful and concise to date. Well researched and broken down into manageBle chunks in laymen's terms. Highly recommend.
Lyndsay
  • Survive! Inside the Human Body, Vol. 2: The Circulatory System
  • The Antenatal Group
  • Making Babies: A Proven 3-Month Program for Maximum Fertility
  • The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant
  • Fleeting Passions (Forbidden Passions, #3)
  • Your Fantastic Elastic Brain: Stretch It, Shape It
  • Passions Recalled (Forbidden Passions, #2)
  • A Midsummer Night's Heat (Heat, #3)
  • Uber Gothic: Industrial Sorcery
  • It's Only Physical
  • Queen Elizabeth
  • The Pregnant Body Book
  • The Complete Photo Guide to Crochet
  • Piercing the Veil (Temptation Unveiled, #2)
  • Secret Santa