Start by marking “Hired by the Cowboy (Windover Ranch #1)” as Want to Read:
Hired by the Cowboy (Windover Ranch #1)

Hired by the Cowboy (Windover Ranch #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  5,415 Ratings  ·  319 Reviews
Alexis Grayson is good at looking after herself - she's been doing it all her life. So what if she's alone and pregnant? She'll cope But gorgeous cowboy Connor Madsen seems determined to take care of her. And Alexis can help him - he needs a temporary wife; she needs somewhere to live until the baby's born. A short-term marriage will solve all their difficulties!

As Alexis

Paperback, Harlequin Romance #3954, 184 pages
Published May 1st 2007 by Harlequin Romance (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Hired by the Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hired by the Cowboy

Lady Jaye

DNF

I finally gave up about 16% of the way through. For a contemporary novel, the premise is rather stupid: how will any responsible people who run a ranch, knowing the precarious nature of running one, leave money to their son on the condition that he turns thirty or gets married? What happens when there is a drought when he is 25 and single and needs money to keep the ranch from going under? Stupid premises make stupid stories.

I could not get much of a feel for the hero and didn't care, but th
Elle (Ligia)
Rating: 2.5 stars.

It seems like I’ve been reading a lot of Harlequin romance this year and while some have been amazing, some not so much. And I’m afraid Hired by the Cowboy fits the second category.

Everything started super well with Hired by the Cowboy. Or as well as it could start. Asking a girl you just met to marry you so you can save your ranch is not among the things considered normal, or believable. But Donna Alward did a pretty good job on making it as believable as possible. You wouldn’
Pamela(AllHoney)
A freebie category romance published under the Harlequin Romance line. It was okay for me. Nothing really exciting happens. Probably why I haven't read many from this particular category line in a while. Connor Madsen meets Alexis Grayson when she faints. Alex is pregnant and has no family and Connor needs a wife. A little too sweet for my personal taste.
ShoSho
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was in the mood for something easy and fast to read so I enjoyed it a lot.I think it was the first Harlequin book I've ever read that didn't make me roll my eyes all the time!!!
İlkim
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bu yorumu Kitap Esintisi sayfasında bulabilirsiniz.

Her Hq romanını sevmem hatta nadiren sevdiklerim çıkar. Ama bunun gibi şirin romanlarına bayılırım. Kitap hamile olarak sokakta kalmış kızımız Alex ile ailesinin evinde tek başına yaşayan biftek üreticimiz yani bir nevi kovboyumuz Connor'ın hikayesini anlatıyor. Connor ile Alex'in tanışması kızın bayılması vesilesiyle oluyor ve orada hamile olduğunu öğreniyor. Connor'ın batmamak için paraya ihtiyacı vardır ve de ailesinden kalan parayı alabilme
Kathy Jo
Hired By The Cowboy is a cute, quick read. I started and finished it in a few hours. I really enjoyed the book and fell in love with Alex and Conner. They both had been hurt in the past and swore they would never love again. I enjoyed watching their relationship and feelings for each other grow. But towards the end of the book I started getting annoyed by Alex. She kind of turned into a drama queen and I wanted to slap her. She took her insecurities and turned them into anger towards Conner. The ...more
Nas Dean
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Hired By The Cowboy by author Donna Alward has a very sensitive, caring hero. He finds the heroine on the verge of passing out and takes her in. The heroine is pregnant and without support. The story has lovable characters. I loved the character of the hero's grandmother, who comes in from time to time. I always looked forward to her visits!

Hired By The Cowboy was Donna Alward's first book, yet it was an emotion packed roller-coaster!
Cindy Winder delong
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very touching story that engaged my emotions starting with the first chapter. I am a sucker for happily ever after and this book delivered. So many of the characters' needs were met by this relationship. I felt like they really loved and respected each other and weren't lost in lust. I liked the inclusion of family, homemaking, mentoring, and traditional gender roles.
Paige
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook, 2013-books
***Detailed Review***

I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. It definitely didn’t drag out and it keep the pace going.

Connor Madsen need a miracle to save his family ranch. After the loss of his parents and brother in one fell swoop, Windover is all he has left, but with an outbreak of cattle disease, his ranch could be linked and he’ll lose it all. He needs his inheritance money to help keep finances afloat, but with six months left until his 30th birthday and he can claim the
Tonileg
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, western, romance, clean
When a person is alone for a long time (more then 6 months) we all get used to being independent and unsocial. Living alone will make the un-sociability develop even faster. I believe that people need to live with other people (roommates, lover, family, friends, children, etc...) because it keeps us part of society and public behavior is different then private behavior. It is really dangerous for people's mental stability to leave society and public behavior.
Alexis Grayson is good at looking aft
Jo-Anne
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hired by the Cowboy is about Alexis Grayson who is alone and pregnant with a barely adequate income and no one to help. She faints and is caught by Connor Madson who is handsome and considerate, staying with Alex until he is sure she is feeling better. Alex thinks Connor is a polished businessman and expects he will forget ever meeting her, never seeing him again. However, Connor is really a cowboy and runs his family's ranch.

Windover Ranch is all he has left after his parents and brother died,
Elaine
This was a freebie on Amazon.

What a sweet romantic story! It has many elements that have been written before, true, but the author wrote a beautiful romance, that developed and grew with the book.

Alex is pregnant and alone; Connor sees her passing out and comes to her aid. He himself is in a quandary, needing trust fund money to help save his ranch from economic collapse due to a cattle disease. In short order, he proposes a "paper marriage", a business arrangement as it were- she marry him, he
LaFleurBleue
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
It felt like just another contemporary romance trying to leverage the hackneyed marriage of convenience trope. In this case, the main reason is gain access to a trust fund.
I did not really care that much for the book because I never believed in either characters. The hero just felt too good to be true: gorgeous, intelligent, honest, hard-working, attentive, rich enough by many standards, etc. And even though he had been working hard, nobody ever tried to grasp him. But the worse was just the her
Lanyahm
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I have downloaded this book for free from Ibooks. I really like romance. but for some reason i thought i wouldn't like this one. and i didn't in the beginning to be honest, but as i read through i became more in love with the characters and the story. It is very touching, very sweet, and a really nice love story.
So the story is about Alex and Connor. her alone and pregnant, and him about to lose his ranch. they meet and agree on a paper marriage, but then everything changes and they start havin
Gillian
I love this book and had enjoyed every moment of it; right from the start until the end. It evoked laughter, tears, anger, and a small amount of annoyance from me. Annoyance came from when the hero, Conner, and the heroine, Alex, wouldn't tell how each other how they really feel because they were afraid or that because everything was suppose to be "an agreement".

But other than that, I absolutely love the romance between the both of them; how they attracted to each other, and how they think they
Fernanda
this was a so sweet and cute story!
not so credible in ours days, with so much violence and some cases low moral values.
But in any case, we have here a story based on a perfect gentleman and a sweet young lady, that all she wants is a family who loves her.

Alex wants a simple life for her and for her baby.... Connor need a wife in order to save his ranch.
The destiny forged a not so orthodox date.... and the attraction that both feel leads to a compromised love.

I have a great time reading this st
Cary
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
What to say... I'm sure I have read about these impulsive "let's help each other out and pretend we are together" sort of plots before. You know where strangers have a physical attraction that turns to true love as they go from being strangers to soul mates. I guess I have just never seen it working in real life and so as a fantasy it works and that is where you suspend reality. It was Ok with that in mind. Clean for sure.
Caro
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, h-mnb-s
This book was pretty good. I liked the characters and the plot. It seemed a little slow in some spots but overall a good book to read for passing time or just to read on a rainy day. I wouldn't consider this a go-to book, but something for just reading. There were plenty of emotions and some were truly felt while others were a little exasperating at times.
Cherrie
3 Stars - I liked it

I think I got this book for free from Amazon. Although the book was based on a rather unlikely and overused storyline, (view spoiler), the fact that Alexis was pregnant added an interesting added dimension.
The story flowed well and was an easy, quite enjoyable read.
April
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a freebie from Harlequin, and it's not bad, pretty standard fare from the publisher. As seems to be common in my reading of Harlequin novels, I found the hero and heroine's lack of communication a little frustrating. Tell each other how you feel already! It doesn't really help the book all that much when that's the only thing keeping the couple apart.
Kim
Sep 07, 2012 rated it liked it
This book started out strong, but lost me towards the end. I feel in love with Conner and Alex from the beginning. My heart ached for the loss they both felt and I was so happy that they found each other. However, 3/4 of the way in, Alex's actions were too dramatic for me. It is a well written, wonderful story that will warm your heart. It just fell flat for me.
Peggy
Jul 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Free Nook book. This was a fun fluffy city girl on the ranch story. The hero needs to be married to access the trust fund he needs to save his ranch and the heroine is pregnant and broke. They strike a bargain, and she fights hard to learn how to help out on a ranch. The hero's grandmother is a fun character too.
Poonam
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I had read this book from Kindle . When I saw the title of this book, I was curious and wanted to know this story. And I did! It was very good. I really love this romantic story especially i Love the handsome Connor Madsen .
Laura's Book Addiction
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cowboys
OMG I totally loved this book
Nila
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute happy quick read, romantic! well written
Tessa Teevan
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was fantastic! Cute, sweet, and a short easy read with a swoon worthy hero.
Dawn
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. The storyline flowed so smoothy that I lost track of time while reading. I loved the characters.
Dannielle
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet Romance

I really enjoyed this story. It was very well written, had a good pace and characters that I enjoyed getting to know, this book is a very nice light romantic read.
Jemi Fraser
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another great story, Donna!! :)
Kelly
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
free Nook book. sweet romance and a fast read. I will read more from this author.
  • Cowboy Dad (The State of Parenthood #3)
  • The New Deputy in Town (Whitehorse Montana, #2)
  • Passion to Die For
  • Married by Mistake
  • The Inconvenient Duchess (The Radwells #1)
  • Dancing In The Moonlight (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #2)
  • Baby Bonanza
  • Relentless (Aspen, #1)
  • Chocolate Kisses
  • Planning for Love (Aisle Bound, #1)
  • Once a Cowboy (The Cowboys, #3)
  • The Boat Builder's Bed (Wicked in Wellington, #1)
  • Mistletoe Mischief (Romancing Wisconsin, #1)
  • Cowboy with a Cause (Cowboy Cafe #3)
  • Love, Lies & High Heels (Love, Lies and More Lies #1)
  • Return to Paradise
  • The Rancher Takes A Bride (The Burnett Brides, #1)
  • Almost a Bride (Wyoming Wildflowers, #1)
While bestselling author Donna Alward was busy studying Austen, Eliot and Shakespeare, she was also losing herself in the breathtaking stories created by romance novelists like LaVyrle Spencer, Judith McNaught, and Nora Roberts. Several years after completing her degree she decided to write a romance of her own and it was true love! Five years and ten manuscripts later she sold her first book and ...more
More about Donna Alward

Windover Ranch (3 books)
  • Marriage at Circle M
  • Falling for Mr. Dark & Dangerous

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • A Desperate Fortune
    $16.99 $2.99
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“All I've ever wanted was a place to belong, and someone to belong to.” 18 likes
“A partner to share the ups and downs with. Honor and strength, and knowing you're stronger together than apart” 15 likes