Start by marking “Sarek” as Want to Read:
Sarek

Sarek

(Star Trek: The Original Series)

The novel begins after the events of "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country(TM) ." Spock's mother, Amanda Grayson, is dying, and Spock returns to the planet Vulcan where he and Sarek enjoy a rare moment of rapprochement. But just as his wife's illness grows worse, duty calls Sarek away -- once again sowing seeds of conflict between father and son. Yet soon, Sarek and Spoc ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by Pocket Books (first published March 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Sarek, please sign up.
Brandon Harbeke There are a lot more than five Star Trek hardcovers. The ones published in 1994 or before include Federation, Sarek, Shadows on the Sun, Best Destiny,…moreThere are a lot more than five Star Trek hardcovers. The ones published in 1994 or before include Federation, Sarek, Shadows on the Sun, Best Destiny, Probe, Prime Directive, The Lost Years, and Spock's World.

Start your review of Sarek
Alejandro
A great "Star Trek" novel!

A.C. CRISPIN, HEROINE OF THE PROSE

I read this novel in the year of 2000.

It was sad to know about the death of A.C. Crispin (back then in 2013), author of this novel and of many sci-fi books on Star Trek, Star Wars, V, her own series Starbridge, even Pirates of the Caribbean.

I want to read more of her.

However I am truly glad of having read this novel, back in 2000, when the book was barely printing its paperback edition.

IS THAT JAMES KIRK, ISN'T HE?

This is
Jerry
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The best Star Trek novel I've read in a while. Exciting at times, touching at others, this book shines a light on Spock's parents: Sarek, the Vulcan, and Amanda Grayson, the Earth woman. This is how you do a movie/television tie-in novel.
Jamie
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quite a good story of Sarek unraveling a conspiracy to sabotage the Federation, with help from Spock, Kirk and the Enterprise. The story line ties into events from several ST movies, particularly "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock" and "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country", and involves all of the Federation's regular foes, some in unexpected roles. One of the better Star Trek books I've come across. Audio expertly narrated by Sarek himself, i.e. the great Mark Lenard!
Mike Crate
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
When you write a novel with Sarek as your central character and have some pretty cataclysmic events take place you really need to get things right and Ann certainly did with this novel which looks at the events post Khitomer and a rising tide of anti-Vulcan sentiment on Earth. Against this background we have the abduction of Peter Kirk who is currently attending the Academy and Sarek who has finally proven to himself that his suspicions about the very secretive world of Freelan are correct. With ...more
Ellen
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Years ago I read this book in audiobook, abridged format. Simon Schuster/Pocket Books rarely made an unabridged format in those days. I thought it was "good enough" and I probably didn't miss much. I was so wrong. Never before has there been a stronger case for unabridged audio performances. Staunch Trek fan that I am, I was so excited to see that the unabridged version could be paired on the Kindle for my first Star Trek immersion reading experience. The narration, although not one of the famou ...more
Yaaresse
I'm not the fanfic type. I never understood the appeal of hyper-fandom. This, however, is one damn good story. It's not just a good Trek story, but it's a good story about the dynamics between parents and children, the clash of cultures, the differences between the obligations people are expected to have and the ones they freely chose. I'm just sad that it was never made into a movie.
Thom
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Star Trek series book tells the story of Sarek in the time not long after the events of the movie Star Trek VI. In addition to the main plot, his life with Amanda is told through flashbacks and journal entries. The main cast also make appearances, at times unlikely but well written all the same.

Also unlikely is Peter Kirk, whose middle name might well be MacGuffin. This is a minor quibble, though, and Sarek shines through negotiation, strategy, and action. This stand-alone book was fun to r
Oleta Blaylock
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a number of reviews before I read this book, not that some negative reviews would have stop me from reading this book. I just wanted a idea about what the story was going to be. I was surprised and very pleased with this book. The Vulcan's of Star Trek have always fascinated me and have loved all the books that I have read about them, especially Spock. While there is a good deal about Spock in this story it is mostly about his father Sarek. I will also warn that there are some very sad pa ...more
CleverBaggins
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good Lord.

So I listened to this one on audio as well. It was read by Mark Lenard who played Sarek in the tv show and movies and I've gotta say I could listen to him talk all day long. He has such a great voice!

The book itself is absolutely wonderful. It's, obviously, about Sarek and picks up after the Undiscovered Country movie and my goodness is it full of action. Sarek's wife Amanda is dying, his relationship with Spock is strained at best and he's in the middle of uncovering a huge conspiracy
Josh
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Solid, readable page turner for the Trek crowd. No real reason to recommend otherwise, full-on fan service here, entirely dependent on the original movies and series for context. You know if this is a book for you without reading any further in this review.

Sarek has always been an interesting, underused character, so I've been intrigued by this book for a while. It covers events immediately after Star Trek VI and gets into Sarek's background and seemingly inexplicable affection for his human wif
Gloria
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jim
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best Star Trek books I've ever read. The main story consists of a plot against the federation, mixed with flashbacks into Sarek's past. The plot moves along at a brisk pace, and the last hundred pages are incredibly intense. Throughout the book, the reader gains insight to Sarek, and what shaped him into the recurring character we saw on screen. This is a rare successful blend of character analysis and action.
Cathy
Jul 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Read long, long ago but very much enjoyed. I'm just guessing at the date, of course. But seeing the cover in my updates when a friend added it reminded me of how much I enjoyed it and I had to add it to my books.
Leigh
This and Diane Duane's Spock's World are by far the best Star Trek TOS tie-ins I've read. ...more
Indika De Silva
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This tale is wonderful... Probably one of my favorite Star Trek novels...

It contains all the elements that is necessary for in a successful Star Trek...

A must read for all fans of Star Trek... This is the 2nd time I read this book...
Dean
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
This is going to go down as one of my all-time favorite Star Trek stories. There is such a wealth of Star Trek Lore interwoven with hints at future plot connections and interspersed easter eggs. The story plots a course between TOS stories and movies 2-6 while hinting at future TNG episodes. Richly written with well researched Klingon and Vulcan vocabulary, the story adds depth to existing canon characters while introducing a few more who could definitely be the stars of follow-up books.
Arlomisty
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
I bought this in 2000 and it's sat on my shelf since then... I recently felt like reading a Star Trek novel and picked it up... it's a little long winded and very much a Star Trek novel in the sense that it would be good for the reader to be familiar with all the characters and major races of the Star Trek universe to figure out what is going on. I liked it... just read that AC Crispin has since passed... I've read several of her books and hadn't realized she was gone.
Michael Caveney
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Slow, but very well-written Star Trek Adventure taking place after the final TOS film and before Sarek's final appearance on TNG. I'm impressed with how well the character voices are in place in these licensed Star Trek novels.
Miladylc
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I Love this book ,
Sarek Amanda and Spock were my favorites from the
First Star Trek series
have this book in hard back and also on my kindle
this time I read the kindle version and was shocked
to see so many typing errors the main error was
the forgetting to hit the space bar between words !
to have 2 or 3 words running together in the last
couple of chapters was something.
Becky
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn't love this author's take on Vulcans but I liked Peter's relationship with a Klingon.
Heidi

Spock's father Sarek, though just a minor recurring character on Star Trek TOS and TNG, has always been a secret favourite of mine, mostly thanks to actor Mark Lenard, and I was happy to learn there's a novel about him, exploring his relationships with both his son and especially his wife Amanda.

It started off quite good. All the established characters felt more or less 'real' and were, at least occasionally, spot on. The plot is not exactly innovative, but follows good old Star Trek tr
Mel
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So I had remembered this being my favourite Star Trek novel. But it turns out the bit that I remembered were in fact from Spock's world, not this. So I'm sure I must have read this before but have ordered Spock's world to read anyway.

But this was lovely. I don't think a Star Trek novel has ever brought me to tears so much. It's basically a love story of two old people when one of them is dying. And Amanda and Sarek were my favourite couple in star trek, so that was extra sweet. It was done beaut
Benjamin Marr
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very satisfying Star Trek adventure!

I really enjoyed this book! I don't know if non-fans would like it, but this is a treat for Trekkies like myself. It's a well-written mix of romance, adventure, and just excellent story-telling.

I loved the back story with Spock's parents and the strained relationship between Spock and his father. It was really well-done.

I highly recommend the audiobook version of this. Nick Sullivan's impressions of Spock, Bones, and Captain Kirk are delightful and perfect
B.
This one gets a rare 5 stars from me. I gross-sobbed on more than one occasion. Each plot line...wow. I wasn’t bored by a single one of them.

This is far from an in-depth review, of course. I just wanted to say how much I love this book.
Clay Davis
Nov 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked that this story centered around Sarek. The audio book with Mark Leonard is very good.
Derek Moreland
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Elowen
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five stars for the combination of character work and a plot that manages to capture the atmosphere of a Star Trek episode or film. My favourite part of this book is the relationship between Sarek and Amanda. Amanda Grayson is mostly known as Spock's mother and Sarek's first human wife, but this book finally shows us more of who she is as a person. To attract the attention of a Vulcan like Sarek, she must have been quite remarkable.
Apart from the attention paid to character development, this nov
Dan
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek, tos
Sarek is a truly great novel, exploring a beloved character who has influenced generations of Star Trek fans. Reading this novel, you can easily hear Mark Lenard's voice come to life in its pages. There have been a couple of other versions of Sarek over the years, including Ben Cross in Star Trek (2009) and most recently, James Frain in Star Trek: Discovery. They both do admirable jobs, but Mark Lenard will always be first and foremost Sarek in my mind. Sarek is the perfect exploration of this c ...more
Michael
Jun 02, 2019 marked it as read-part  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trekkers, sci fi fans, Mark Lenard fans
Recommended to Michael by: serendipity
Shelves: audio-book
I forget where or when I found this tape, which covers the first half of a “Star Trek” spinoff novel, but I listen to it every few years because it’s important to run tapes occasionally to maintain tension on the reels. It is read by the (now deceased) Mark Lenard, one of my favorite actors involved in the franchise, although he has problems with some of the voices, especially Kirk and McCoy. It’s a decent story, but not so great that I’ve ever bothered to seek out a complete copy and find out h ...more
Phillip Krzeminski
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
The best Trek novel I’ve read so far. A.C. Crispin was a master of the media tie-in novel, and it’s apparent here. The book continues the stories of the franchise’s characters without seeming like fan-service drivel. The book focuses primarily on background characters like Sarek, Amanda, and Peter Kirk, which is a refreshing expansion of the world beyond the main cast. The story has depth and consequences, which is rare in this kind of book. There is plenty of mystery, action, and intrigue - a t ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Spock's World
  • Probe
  • Federation
  • Q-Squared (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1)
  • Best Destiny (Star Trek)
  • The Kobayashi Maru (Star Trek: The Original Series, #47)
  • Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)
  • The Vulcan Academy Murders
  • Imzadi (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Imzadi #1)
  • Q-In-Law (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #18)
  • The Return (Star Trek: Odyssey, #2)
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • The Ashes of Eden (Star Trek: Odyssey, #1)
  • Traitor Winds (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #3)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Star Trek Generations
Ann Carol Crispin (1950-2013) was an American science fiction writer, the author of over twenty published novels. She wrote professionally since 1983. She wrote several Star Trek and Star Wars novels, and created her own original science fiction series called Starbridge.

Crispin also served as Eastern Regional Director, and then Vice President, of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek: The Original Series #1; Movie Novelization #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit (Star Trek: The Original Series #3)
  • The Covenant of the Crown (Star Trek: The Original Series #4)
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle (Star Trek: The Original Series #9)
  • Web of the Romulans (Star Trek: The Original Series #10)

News & Interviews