Start by marking “The Klingon Dictionary” as Want to Read:
The Klingon Dictionary

The Klingon Dictionary

The Klingon Dictionary is the first comprehensive sourcebook for Klingon language and syntax, including fundamental rules of grammar as well as words and expressions that illustrate the complex nature of Klingon culture. It features a precise pronunciation guide, rules for proper use of affixes and suffixes, and a small phrasebook with Klingon translations for essential ...more
Published June 24th 2008 by Pocket Books (first published December 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Klingon Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Klingon Dictionary

Start your review of The Klingon Dictionary
Manny
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Geeks
I briefly owned a copy of this book, but managed to give it to the teenage son of a colleague before the compulsion had had time to establish itself. This no doubt saved me at least 100 hours of pointless study, which I'm intending to devote to improving my grasp of irregular Quenya verbs.

I didn't think Klingon was as good as Tolkien's languages - it somehow lacked depth. But the list of handy phrases was fun. Looking around quickly just now on the Web, I was reminded of the ever-useful
Abraham Ray
Not the best Star Trek book in my opinion.
André
Apr 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great, the Klingon dictionary! Much better than the German version (less errors). The description is really simple and thus easy to understand even for non-linguists. However, some things that I consider important are missing (how to say "with/without", ). Plus, I demand the cover to look less geeky.

P.S.: I have an original autograph by Marc Okrand in this book! ;)
Drew
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fascinating.
Diana S Johnson
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FUN!

One day, when I become fluent, I shall tell you how I REALLY feel! I love Worf for ever and ever!
Harrison
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: class
This was homework I SWEAR!!
Carolyn Page
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Not that I'd ever study it, but it's just one of those things that's good to have on your reference shelf, y'know?
Alexander Curran
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ka'plah! (Victory/success)
Amy
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: language geeks, Star Trek fans
Shelves: own
Technically I haven't "read" this one, but I have made use of it for reference numerous times. I've long been fascinated with this fictitious culture from one of my favorite TV and movie franchises, and this peek into the language constructed for them just adds another fascinating layer.

My biggest complaint is that in the section that provides Klingon phrases ready made for you, the people who formatted the book elected to use a san-serif font that doesn't do well at differentiating between a
IVellon
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is really good! (Well, if you don't see the point in reading on fictional languages - don't!)

In my opinion, Klingon is the most creative conlang (of those, who reached a broader audience) ever created. Marc Okrand pushes the reader beyond the known (indo-)european structeres and introduces her/him to a whole new range of possibilities. We owe him much for this!
As a linguist I whished for scientific terminology to be used more often but I can live with it.

And for all those who do not
Jana Suna
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how to rate dictionaries or grammar of languages but I think that I don't understand the organisation of the book well. There are two parts and I didn't understand why not just write the whole grammar at the beginning of the book and the whole dictionary after that. There are grammar-dictionary-grammar-dictionary and I think that it is a little bit confusing. But maybe I just didn't understand the purpose of those sequence because of my poor English-German (I have this book in ...more
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
May 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It's one of those things that outsiders just don't get. Why bother trying to learn a fictional language? Well, why not? The creator of the Klingon language deserves props for not taking the easy route with a simple transliteral gibberish that would have probably done just fine on the screen. No, this language is definitely alien, with some pronunciations that simply do not exist in English. Even if it doesn't actually help you learn the tongue, this is a must for Trekkies (that right, I didn't ...more
André
The book is in fact really cool. The Klingon language! Whoot, how geeky is that?! I read the book several times and it looks very used already. BUT: This is the German translation and it's one of the worst translated books ever! There are about 2~3 errors per page, no kidding. Go buy the English version instead. That's why I rated this one here so low. I hope Jens Helmig (the translator) was fired afterwards. ;)
S.M.M. Lindström
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What's there to say? It's a dictonary for a fictional language. If you're looking to learn Klingon, this is a good corner stone along with internet resources. If you're not, why would you pick this book up?
Kathryn Coxon
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is not the most academically superior book I've ever read, but it does what it says on the tin. It's a dictionary with basic Klingon words, and a little overview of the grammar and general morphology etc. This is a great book for beginners, even though it was published in 1992.
Becca
Aug 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I read this for a book report and presentation when I was in the tenth grade with the express intention of pissing my teacher off. It was so worth it. Besides, you gotta respect anybody who can invent a whole language.
Valerie
This isn't technically a 'dictionary', so much as a grammar. There is a glossary, but the bulk of the book is semantic analysis, cases, etc. Wish I had my own copy--it would be useful for reference. There is (or was) a quarterly journal to supplement it. Haven't looked for that lately.
Becky
Not only is this a fantastic work, but you have to appreciate that one of the Klingons on the front is Christopher Lloyd... Because, honestly, Star Trek ran for so long that everyone has been in it at least once.

NuqDaq Yuch Dapol!
(Where do you keep the chocolate?)
Jc
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't know if read is a good indicator ir perpetually reading. This book is a great reference for anyone who is a fan of Klingons and wants to learn more about their language and culture.
Thomas
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
hell yea I read this. wanna fight about it?
Carol
Jan 28, 2012 added it
Shelves: media
Fun Book for Star Trek fans. Write secret messages to your friends in Klingon.
Cecily Herondale
I loved this book, klingon is interesting but I havent finished learning the language. I didnt specifically use this book but I use a nice one.
T. Blake
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was more of a skim for me because I didn't read it with the intent of learning Klingon. I just wanted a better understanding. Good companion book for the franchise.
Cheryl
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very hard language, maybe Rosetta Stone would have worked better for me.
Ross
Mar 01, 2009 added it
Everyone just needs to have a few verses of Klingon in their vocab. Just because.
Noah Bogart
Jan 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
The first and foremost source of Klingon words and grammar. A must for any learner.
Dustin
Sep 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, handbook
Yes, I'm a nerd, I read this. If you're interested in Klingons I'd recommend reading this as well.
Broodingferret
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Come on. It's a Klingon dictionary. How kool is that?
Lucy
Mar 02, 2011 added it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2011
Unlike Ellen, I AM a Star Trek fan, and I am quite delighted to be pursuing one of the best developed and geekiest conlangs ever.

Maybe one day I'll finish this review in tlhIngan. Or maybe now.
Jure Godler
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Very useful when traveling to Idrija.
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Page Count for ISBN 0671666487 2 161 Nov 15, 2013 11:38AM

• Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual
  • Where No One Has Gone Before: A History in Pictures (Star Trek: All)
  • Chaos: Making a New Science
  • The Star Trek Encyclopedia
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Next Generation Trekkers Volume 1
  • Walking with Peety: The Dog Who Saved My Life
  • Star Trek Star Charts: The Complete Atlas of Star Trek
  • Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual
  • The Sky's the Limit (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Star Trek Chronology: A History of the Future
  • Star Trek: Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise
  • Black Hole
  • The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory
  • The Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Space Trilogy: Out of the Silent Planet / Perelandra / That Hideous Strength
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • The Diaries of Adam and Eve
  • Shadowshaper (Shadowshaper, #1)