Start by marking “Star Trek V: The Final Frontier” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Star Trek V: The Final...

J.M. Dillard

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  614 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
On the planet Nimbus III, a harsh world deep in the neutral zone, the three major powers-- Federation, Klingon, and Romulan-- attempt a revolutionary cooperative program, jointly developing the planet as an experiment in peace. But that makes Nimbus III an irresistible target for terrorists, who seize control of the planet, and the Enterprise is sent on a daring mission of ...more
Audio Cassette
Published January 1st 1999 by Audioworks (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek V, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek V

Vikas Datta
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic outing with the Enterprise crew and most heartening is the ending, with the pattern of redemption - and reconciliation of a sort
Heather Domin
In my experience a strong novelization can do wonders for a weak movie; it's one of the reasons I love novelizations so much. Since I like Dillard's Trek books, I thought she'd be a good candidate to do the trick for the weakest TOS movie. I was right. While I still don't care for the story, working it into a novel definitely improved it for me. The minor characters were fleshed out into real people with back-stories and personalities, which I always enjoy; being able to tune in to people's thou ...more
Scott
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here it is, the novelization of the worst-received Star Trek movie of all of them. I've always liked the movie and thought it got a raw deal with critics and fans, though it's far from their greatest. This book, though, has really made the story of the film more fully realized and deep. There is so much additional content that enhances the characters and motivations that the movie only hinted at. To gain a deeper appreciation for Shatner's vision of "Star Trek V," every Trekkie should read this ...more
Charles
I thought Dillard did an admirable job with this mixed bag tale. She got the characters right and got in all the zingers and good one liners from the movie. However, the movie plot itself is quite a bit of a mess and there was nothing Dillard could do about that. This is probably my least favorite of the Star Trek Original series movies, and the book can't rise above those weaknesses. I don't hold it against the author, though. This is on Hollywood.
Jerry
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another novelization that was better than the film that inspired it.
Tommy Verhaegen
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, paper_en
Again we get a deeper look into the psyche and backgrounds of our main TOS crew. Action, tension, space travel, kidnappings... with a positive feel and an unexpected twist at the end.
Definately a winner!
Alcohol plays a big part and up to now the poco's haven't censored it yet.
5 major locations: Earth, Vulcan, Nimbus III, space and the center of the galaxy.
Terrans, Vulcans, Romulans, Klingon and a new, terrifying and hostile creature.
Crystal
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
An incredible novel that I could not put down. As is typical of the Star Trek genre, the various social messages contained throughout the novel compared with a science fiction theme make for some great thinking sessions for modern times...Additionally, reading about the various antics and adventures of our old friends is like visiting family.
Lee Goldin
I've never read a movie novelization in my life so you may be wondering why I started with an adaptation of one of the most reviled films in history. Quite simply because I've always been intrigued by what a missed opportunity Star Trek V: The Final Frontier was. The movie has a lot of heart and some intriguing ideas but unfortunately the script is a mess and the special effects are essentially unwatchable, especially by today's standards. And while everyone blames director William Shatner for t ...more
Mike Crate
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, scifi, star-trek
Ok then the movie is generally regarded as one of the failures of the Star Trek franchise but I don't hate it and there are some truly wonderful character moments in the story. This novelisation as you would expect gives us everything that is good about STV but adds so much more garnish to the story that you come away wondering what the studio were doing when setting the budget which limited to what they could do on screen.
The background to Sybok as a child and how the events with his mother sha
Joseph
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a big fan of the clichéd assertion that "the book is always better," but in this case it is thankfully true. Dillard's writing makes up and corrects for just about all of the source movie's copious flaws. I was also impressed by the many subtle references to earlier novelizations, which made this book feel like it belonged with them. Though perhaps not quite up to Vonda McIntyre's work on previous installments, it manages a very close second, and stands alongside them as a quality novel ...more
Robert Lent
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was much better than the movie. I admit that doesn't take much. But the movie could have been a lot better. There was silliness in the movie like putting horns on horses to make them alien, and Kirk saying "use the horse", a pun on "use the force". In the movie, it just isn't convincing how Sybok was able to influence people, the book makes it much more convincing. Maybe you have to be a hardcore Trek fan to want to read a novelization of Star Trek V, but I think you will appreciate the sto ...more
J.W. Braun
Jul 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book much more than the novelizations of Star Trek's II, III, and IV by Vonda McIntyre. Like McIntyre, Dillard adds some of his own stuff to the story he was given by the screenplay writers. Unlike McIntyre, Dillard's stuff added greatly to my enjoyment of the book. In fact, I think Dillard took a film that is somewhat lacking and turned it into a great story! I really enjoyed this book.
Emily Petit
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great alternative to the actual film, directed by - guess who? - William Shatner himself. It brings the cinemetographical humor to life in a stimulating, imaginative way. Jokes that would never have worked for the original film work very well here. If, like the majority of dedicated Trekkies, you didn't take to Shatner's movie, read this book. You'll actually laugh. Because this one? Why, this is funny.
Wendy
This was better than the movie.

I know, that isn't saying much, is it? But really, it adds so much background and explanation that it actually makes the ridiculous plot kind of believable and interesting. It's very worth a read, simply because it salvages the movie.
Daniel Kukwa
Jun 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
The plot isn't dong J.M. Dillard any favours, but she certainly moves mountains in order to make this story readable and enjoyable as prose. Her masterful handling of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy helps to make this an especially solid novelization of the most notorious film in the Classic Trek canon.
Mrklingon
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adventure Improved! The right way to see this movie....

I always enjoy the novelizations of the Trek movies - often they are the better version, certainly the case here. Dillard does a good job tightening up the story, polishing off the characters and blurring the rough parts.

Jim Neville
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than the movie. There are references in the movie which make no sense whatsoever unless you've read the book. A must read for Star Trek fans, but if you want a book about "The Search for God," there are much better books. Not bad, though.
Keith
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than the movie even though this is just a novelization of that film. It proves that in concept, The Final Frontier probably looked good on paper, but in execution it turned out to be a major onscreen disappointment.
Travis
Oct 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Surprisingly, this made me enjoy the movie more as it filled in some of the gaps and took some weak bits and strengthened them.
Still, the weakest of the original Trek movies, but the book made me aware there was a good story there.
Tyler Replogle
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The things you learn from these books. Spock has a half bro.
Lori
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
The book was better than the movie, although if you look at V as a spoof, it's pretty funny. A good read.
Yaaresse
Part of a delicious and nutritious classic sci-fi diet.
Kristina
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
A wonderful way to relive the movie. It answers questions such as 'how did they get through the Great Barrier?' and focuses very much on the unshakeable bond between Kirk, Spock and McCoy.
John
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
no date grade B-

Classic Movies Trek
Lucy
Feb 23, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Elena
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really nice! I loved Spock's story.
Terence
I only give this 3 stars because Dillard makes a valiant effort to fill in the gaps and make sense of what is, truth be told, a pretty awful film.
ABC
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book very fast, and enjoyed it. Sybok, the renegade Vulcan, was neat, and the characters were as good as ever. And it was funny.
4 stars.
Chris
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much better than the movie, it actually made sense
John Barclay
The movie was kind of stupid, so is the book.
  • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #3)
  • Final Frontier
  • Star Trek: The Disinherited
  • Mind Meld
  • Windows on a Lost World
  • The Final Nexus
  • Shadows on the Sun
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Sarek
  • Dreams of the Raven (Star Trek #34)
  • The Starship Trap
  • Doctor's Orders
  • The Patrian Transgression
  • Timetrap
  • A Flag Full of Stars (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #2)
  • Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
J.M. Dillard (born 1954), is a writer of science fiction and horror.

She was born in Florida and studied at the University of South Florida, earning first a BA in Russian and then an MA in Linguistics. After college she taught English as a foreign language at the American University in Washington, D.C., before moving to the West Coast.
More about J.M. Dillard...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire