Start by marking “Captain's Peril (Star Trek: Totality #1)” as Want to Read:
Captain's Peril (Star Trek: Totality #1)

Captain's Peril

(Star Trek: Totality #1)

The Dominion War is over. The Federation is at peace. What better time for two legendary starship captains to set aside the demands of duty and take some well-deserved time off? When Kirk and Picard arrive on Bajor to dive among the ruins of an ancient sunken city, things are far worse than they had planned.
Published January 27th 2004 by Pocket Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Captain's Peril, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain's Peril

Start your review of Captain's Peril (Star Trek: Totality #1)
David Agranoff
OK are we positive that Shat remembered to send this on to the Reeves Stevens team for a re-write. Because they are pretty solid and I found this Trek novel to be a total snoozer. No offense to the Shat.
John
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
I started this book already having read the last of the Totality trilogy novels, Captain's Glory. An odd order to read these, but unfortunately, I have to say that I wasn't too terribly disappointed to have learned the spoiler.
Captain's Glory was decent, but this was a little below. It is written the way I would expect Shatner to write a Star Trek novel- Captain Kirk is the hero, everyone else admires him like a legend. That feel was all too present in this novel. It's as if Shatner couldn't
Luke  East
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
From the pen of the inimitable William Shatner comes a new Captain Kirk adventure, the first installment in the Shatnerverse's Totality Trilogy, 'Captain's Peril'.

Following his return in 'Generations', Captain Kirk was enjoying renewed popularity around the world, and fans were hankering for more adventures with their two favourite Enterprise Captains, and William Shatner obliged, penning a number of crossover adventures.

Set in what's affectionately referred to as the 'Shatnerverse', this story
Christopher
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Declan Waters
May 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Kirk is back (again) and this time is on vacation on Bajor with Picard. But soon Picard goes missing, and Kirk must find him, and understand who is murdering the Bajorans at a flooded archaeological site.

This was a fun little story in the Star Trek universe. Definitely not cannon and if you've read any of Shatner's Star Trek books before you'll already know the theme. -- That is: Kirk is great!! It starts with Kirk convincing Picard to take a dive into Bajor's atmosphere... and from there things
Dan
Sep 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
The "Shatnerverse" books have had their ups and downs; there are some genuinely great reads among them. Sadly, Captain's Peril is not one of those. The story wasn't one that captivated me at any point, and instead served to further inflate the already-over-the-top image of Captain Kirk's greatness. The book's depiction of the Bajorans also disappointed me. The story is somewhat elevated by the flashback scenes to the early days of Kirk's first five-year mission, as well as an exciting epilogue, ...more
Lois
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finally read (well, listened to) this one after all these years. Liked that it didn't need a previous original Trek mission for it's story, but it clearly was setting up one for the next two books... which, for once isn't an actual TOS episode, but still after binge listening to all of these in a row, is a bit tiresome. But still pretty good.
Rob
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kirk's High risk life is shared with Picard, Relates his story of meeting the totality for the first time. This was a good read
Nick
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
William Shatner impersonating Picard's voice priceless. Audiobook is worth it.
George Godsey
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. It was fun to read about Kirk and Picard working together.
Brandie
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Captains Peril is a good book, though, I have some concerns with the way the Bajorans are depicted. The book seems to start out a little slow, which is one of the reasons I had trouble getting into story initially. It took nearly a month for me to finish this title. But that wasnt only due to the pace of the book. It was also because I was reading it on a new device, and it took me a while to figure out which settings worked best for me (font, font size, screen brightness). After I found the ...more
Michael
Jun 18, 2008 rated it liked it
The first three "Shatnerverse" novels were met by Star Trek fans with a rare kind of anticipation. After all, what could be better than the story of Kirk told from the man who had brought him to life for over 30 years? It was a must-have for any Trek fan. And the thing is--those first three books really delivered on the promise. The original Shatner trilogy is one of the better multi-novel sequences out there.
However, after a rather lackluster trilogy, Shatner (and the Reeves-Stevens) return
Paul Riches
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Star Trek Captains Peril is just okay Shatnerverse

William Shatner created a second (Third? Fourth? Kind of lost track with this legend) career for himself by creating his own Star Trek brand with his own line of books, all dealing with the further adventures of Captain Kirk.

Shatner of course played the great Starfleet Captain in the original 1960s Star trek TV series, then continued in the 1970s cartoon and in the 1970/80s with the movie franchise. Shatners Kirk WAS the Captain so many loved,
Trekscribbler
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
To be perfectly honest, I didnt expect much going into William Shatners CAPTAINS PERIL, but it might not be for the obvious reason. Bill gets a lot of negative press about how (A) his books are vanity projects so they cant be all that good and (B) he doesnt even write them (its been disclosed that theyre heavily ghostwritten by Judith and Gar Reeves-Stevens). Thats why most folks dont give the man all that much credit; still, that had little to do with my two cents.

I hate to sound snarky, but I
Kim
When I read the blurb for this book, I was immediately intrigued. Kirk and Picard have always made for an interesting combination, and the mere premise was enough to pull me in.

(view spoiler)
Sean Randall
Nov 03, 2009 rated it liked it
"I think it will work," Sulu said. He smiled at Scott. "The physics of it are sound." "Aye, physics," Scott complained. "We're basically throwing a rock off the back of the ship, so of course the physics will work. The thing will fall! Not much can go wrong with that."

So yet again, we have a Kirk-centric experience. this time, there's orbital skydiving. Characterisation isn't too much of a problem because apart from Kirk (naturally) and Picard, there's nobody of familiarity (apart from the
Robert
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This has threads from TOS, TNG & DS9, eludes to episodes from the series (TOS at least) without giving anything away, and rectifies several inconsistencies (for example warp factors that don't agree from one series to the next) well done!

Not a typical Star Trek story... it reads more like a fun outing, followed by a mystery novel.

Kirk and Picard side by side... The thing weakening this novel is that Kirk is well portrayed (as you would expect), but Picard seems to be a minor character...
Philip McClimon
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice back and forth

The story starts off a little slow and dialogue heavy, but develops into an intriguing narrative. There is a nice back and forth between the present and an episode from early in Kirk's career that will seem to have future and potentially dire consequences. I find myself looking forward to the next book of this trilogy. Have a little patience with this story and you will be rewarded.
Maria
Apr 07, 2008 rated it liked it
I'm not a fan of Star Trek TNG, so I could have done without the inclusion of Picard. Also I had some trouble with the story within the story, since Picard wasn't there to listen to it, yet it continued to unfold. Taken as a whole, however, I enjoyed both stories, so the mechanics of the writing were secondary.
Vanessa
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I need to re-read this book to give it a true review, but any of ones where Kirk and Picard get together are my favorites, although since the Nexus idea, there are some wild reasons why Kirk just won't die! But it's all in fun and who said SCI-FI had to make sense anyway. When it gets too logical, it can get rather boring.
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Star Trek books by Shatner and the Reeves-Stevens are known for their incredibly complicated plots and huge cavalcades of characters. "Captain's Peril" has neither. It's a very subtly told, simple tale with only a few charascters interacting in quiet, even lyrical scenes. The novel still manages to be quite captivating and filled with intrigue.
Keith Bell
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
With Shatner books, you never know how much is him and how much is others but I'm sure he protects Kirk's image. Just finished a Star Wars novel prior to this one and while I enjoy both universes, Star Trek has more science, which holds it a little more dear to me. Looking forward to the others in this series.
Travis
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shatner-verse
I was surprised by this book. It was the first Shatner book I read, and I was amazed. I enjoyed it, and found the writing fairly good. What I most liked was that the characters seemed like the characters and not just characters who with the same name. Bravo Bill! Good job!
Stephanie
Mar 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: trekkies, obviously
Not exactly awesome literature. And slow to get into. But all in all, fun. Also funny to read between the lines that Shatner pairs Kirk and Picard just to basically make sure everyone knows that Kirk is the slightly more bad ass of the two captains.
RumBelle
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
This is the first in William Shatner's newest trilogy about Kirk after Generations. This one has a somewhat different plot then the other two, this one focuses on a vacation between Capt. Picard and Capt. Kirk and the circumstances that occur during that vacation.
Bill1971
Dec 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Love the interplay between Kirk and Picard. Like the rest of the series very fun guilty pleasure.
John Yelverton
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Anytime Captain Kirk and Captain Picard get together, it's a truly great book to read!
Megan
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Although this books seems to stand alone I highly recommend reading both it and its sequel. Fantastic books!
Judith Paterson
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Post Star Trek Generations novel where Kirk & Picard go on an adventure holiday together and end up solving murders and mysteries. Enjoyable but not his best
shawn stapleton
Jan 02, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
one of the worse star trek books.

• Prime Directive (Star Trek: Worlds in Collision, #2)
  • The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1)
  • Q-In-Law (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #18)
  • Federation
  • Sarek
  • Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Original Series #11; The Yesterday Saga, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Vulcan Academy Murders
  • Best Destiny (Star Trek)
  • The Last Odyssey (Sigma Force, #15)
  • The Higher Frontier
  • Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #3)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • An Accident of Stars (Manifold Worlds, #1)
  • Fast Girls: A Novel of the 1936 Women's Olympic Team
  • Revenge
  • Miss Pinkerton
  • The Bodies in the Library (First Edition Library Mystery, #1)
William Shatner is the author of nine Star Trek novels, including the New York Times bestsellers The Ashes of Eden and The Return. He is also the author of several nonfiction books, including Get a Life! and I'm Working on That. In addition to his role as Captain James T. Kirk, he stars as Denny Crane in the hit television series from David E. Kelley, Boston Legal -- a role for which he has won ...more

Star Trek: Totality (3 books)
  • Captain's Blood (Star Trek: Totality #2)
  • Captain's Glory (Star Trek: Totality #3)

News & Interviews

“You’re mistaken, Lieutenant,” Kirk said, already feeling the fire of action and purpose within him. “Everything’s out there.” *” 0 likes