Start by marking “Come Back” as Want to Read:

Come Back

Left behind by everyone she loves...

Rebecca Garvey had the promise of a California future dreams are made of, until the wagon train her family was traveling with left her behind. Now she’s slowly dying in the wilderness, abandoned and stripped of her self-worth. Once the shock of her desertion turns to embittered despair, she doesn’t want to be found. Then a handsome stra
Published May 12th 2014 by Truelove Press (first published May 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Come Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come Back

Start your review of Come Back
Debbie DiFiore
So amazing

I loved this book. I could not out it down. The heroine is left behind when the wagon train she is on with her parents leaves without her. That scene was so heartbreaking. The moment she realized what had happened, she was panicked and afraid and desperate. I could feel it so much. Then that young woman then pulled up her boot strings and saved herself. She was alone for a whole year in the wilderness and made herself shelter, found her own food and all with a knife and canteen. The pl
Shirl
This was a great story. The female character was left by a wagon train in the middle of nowhere and she survived! Her determination and willpower were wonderful to read about. Then a stranger came into her area. Would he save her or harm her? The story is full of twist and surprises and does have a small amount of explicit sex, but the story is life and romance and survival. Well written. Highly recommend this book to all.
Rose Maria
Only few books I give 5 stars and this is one
I rushed through some parts, yes .....but I like the books where H and h are separated from world....
And I liked the way their romance grew
Kristy McCaffrey
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rebecca Garvey is on a wagon train bound for California when she is inadvertently left behind in the wilderness of New Mexico Territory. She mistakenly believes that no one searched for her and, as days turn into months, she remains in the wilderness and fends for herself rather than attempting to make her way to a town. When she comes across an injured man, she’s compelled to help him, but in doing so she can no longer hide from the pain of her presumed abandonment.

Seth Emerson is battling demo
Sandra Aaron
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good romance, just a bit long

This is a very good romance, with a likable couple, but it just seemed a bit too long. There were so many pages devoted to their time in the cave and their time traveling. Much of that was kind of repetitive, since what they did every day was often very similar -- he hunted, she cooked and cleaned, they traveled in the wagon, ...

I did really like the story, and I understood how their experiences made them both feel unworthy and unlovable. It was sweet how they b
laaddis
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a good book but not exceptional. The book was well thought out and executed but it did go a bit slow at times. Not sure why the author had a 'mature audience' disclaimer on it. It was actually very tame compared to some books.
Robin Braun
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

This was an excellent book. The story of Seth & Rebecca kept my interest the whole time. It gives a glimpse of the struggles people moving west went through with a different twist to it. Highly recommended
Susan P
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Could have skipped the graphic sex.
Jeanette Pierce
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I give Melissa Maygrove's debut novel, Come Back, five stars.Her skilfully-crafted, error-free sentences carry the reader through the story at a rapid pace- no structural speed bumps.

She has created realistic characters whose flaws cause them to behave in such a manner as to keep the reader engaged. Becca begins her journey west as the typical, naive, young lady of her time; but after being left behind, she quickly learns some amazing survival skills. When Seth arrives on the scene, he exhibit
Kathy Heare Watts
This story had so many emotions and heartache that was experience by Rebecca Garvey when she was abandoned by her parents, betrothed and the entire wagon train heading to California. The deceit of her so-called-friend Charlotte that set this event into motion. Living and surviving on her own, barely making it through her first winter, dodging Indians and wild animals, foraging for food and firewood, but most of all the feeling that no one wanted you. Then comes along Seth, dealing with is demons ...more
Loni
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Come Back tugs on the heart strings. Ms. Maygrove captured me with Becca and Seth. Characters make or break a story for me. I like strong females, and I like chivalrous guys. Good news, the book fit! Even though it adheres to the historical time frame where women were considered the weaker sex, Becca's determination and survival brought out that strength I look for in characters.

And I actually started crying at one point because it was such a heartbreakingly touching scene. Yep, Ms. Maygrove hoo
Mina Lobo
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars!

Come Back is a wonderful old West romance which spins a yarn of loss, grief, gritted-teeth, and pushing through it all to survive. Heroine Becca is smart, kind, and honorable, and her hero Seth is the same ~ they’re two folks I’d go anywhere with on a wagon train! Their romance developed at a perfect pace, and I just loved how they loved each other (for me, they're just the right mix of sweet and sassy, as well as spicy!). Reading this took me back to those good old days when I was a k
Carrie
In Come Back, Maygrove demonstrates mastery rarely seen in a debut novel. The book becomes an experience for readers—almost as if we’re there, struggling on the Gila Trail alongside the characters. It’s obvious the author spent time studying this period, adding details here and there to enrich the text.

On that note, her steamier scenes are handled with great care—blending romance with realism. Becca and Seth grew to care for each other as friends before lovers, and that adds a great deal of dept
Gloria Albritton
Misguided family tribulations!!!

Melissa Maygrove is an exceptional story teller, to say the least!! I have read many books over the past but I have to say, this is one of the best I have had the privilege of reading. She tells of what it takes to work between husband and wife to keep a marriage together through all the trials and tribulations. Of also what it takes to keep the melding of struggles between the extended family's co-existence to meld with each other with togetherness. She also brou
Karen
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of great courage, resourcefulness, compassion & forgiveness.

Rebecca is a remarkable character so resilient but so much fear of rejection & abandonment. The details of what she endured, how she set herself up, the knowledge she gleaned & how she used things from her scavenging intriguing.
Seth's character was coloured by his false belief of failure to protect so but so strong, capable & honoured woman. True hero.

Caught up emotionally I felt her loneliness, anxiety, fear, joy & love. I fin
Miriam Rivera
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Survival and love!

I was thrilled when I found this book again after letting go the first time I read the blurb. If this is the authors first book I can't wait for what else she has in stored for us. Every time I thought Seth and Beccas journey was getting easier for them something else happened that made me want to speed read it just to see what happened next. We find courage, desperation, love, drama, and healing with this two characters, this book was well written and just amazing.
Judy Esposito
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Western Romance!

I loved the story line, so different from a lot of the others. All the characters were very well thought out, to each play their part in making this a book you wanted to keep reading. Great descriptions of the scenery, felt like you were there, struggling along with the heroine in the wilderness of the west. Loved the hero. Looking forward to the next book from this author. JudyE
Jade Lauron
Book #5 of my Romancing the Tome project, results not to be released until all data has been collected and processed.

Mini-review: This could have been so much better, promising plot and characters but poor execution. A little too MUCH realism in some regards (we do not need to know every bathroom break, seriously). Deals with issues of rape and near-rape, several potential triggering scenes.
Bonnie Jo Anderson
I loved the book but I would have liked all the pages down loaded.

The book was fairly easy to 'read even with half the pages gone but I would d have really enjoyed it so much more with the missing pages there, this was a lovely story line, with lots of twist and turns, I believe I will read t his one again when I can get the full download. This was a delightful story with a happy ending.
Lorena Helfers
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah,Sweet wonders of life

The first part of the book was unbelievable. I cannot understand how she could live in the winter without fire. The rest I could believe sorta !
The story was most fascinating, written in a very intriguing. way. Not one minute was boring. This story had the sweetest love making that I have ever read, tender as a rib bone that has baked tenderly and slowly for 12 hours. This author is new to me and I have the next book.
Elizabeth Seckman
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such a good story, you'll want to read it slowly and enjoy. From the wagon train to the homestead, this book paints a picture in the mind and you feel like you are right there. A wonderful romance with just enough spice to be tantalizing without being tawdry. Excellent plot and wonderful characters make this a story to remember.
Darlena
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Come Back

This book touches the heart. Two people both running from their demons come together in difficult circumstances.

Life never turns out the way you dream it will. Sometimes you take a different path to a life so much better. I think this book is a good example of that.

This was a good read and I enjoyed it very much.
Jennifer McMurrain
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this romantic historical fiction novel by Melissa Maygrove. It had just the right amount of intrigue and heat. Maygrove developed characters I couldn't help but root for and a couple I just wanted to smack across the face. Filled with emotion and incredible story telling, you won't be disappointed by reading this book.
Susan
Jul 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Historically accurate? Hmmmm, maybe. You cannot start a fire with eyeglasses - magnifying glass, yes, eyeglasses, no. Surviving a full year on her own? I just had to go with it and not get hung up on that. That's just soooo unlikely! A cave system with hot springs and a stream not far from the trail, but secret from all other humanity? Again, just go with it and enjoy the story.
Kathy
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hurt Then Joy

This was of the best books I've read. It kept me up at night and very few books do that.
Laura Rich
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great story, good characters and steamy love scenes. What more do you need?
Faye
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

The concept of being abandoned in a remote area is chilling and I wanted to see how the author resolved the problems Rebecca faced.
Susie
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
a do-dah but pretty much a page-turner.
Maike
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad

Pretty good story with some unbelievable plot twists and too convenient turn of events.
Otherwise, easy to read. 3.5 stars.
Patricia welch
Wasn't sure how to respond to this book

It was good but not one I would read again, thought it was slow,and rather boring maybe alittle more spic.

• The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
  • Waking Olivia
  • Love Me, Lord Tender (A Series of Unconventional Courtships Book 1)
  • Just Neighbors (Blue Beech, #4)
  • Strictly Business (Washington Memorial Hospital, #1)
  • Luck Be a Lady (Rules for the Reckless, #4)
  • Jock Road (Jock Hard, #3)
  • The Sinclair Hound (The Sinclair Jewels, #1)
  • Mr. Mayfair
  • The Knocked up Plan
  • The Tenderfoot Bride
  • Teton Sunrise (Teton Romance Trilogy, #1)
  • The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1)
  • Seducing Lauren (Love Under the Big Sky, #2)
  • Smoke and Iron (The Great Library, #4)
  • Highland Faith (Wild Thistle Trilogy, #2)
  • Rain (A Stranger in the Woods, #1)
  • My Wolf and Me
Native Texan Melissa Maygrove is a mother, nurse, freelance editor, and romance writer. When she's not busy caring for her tiny nursery patients or shuttling teenagers back and forth to after-school activities, she's hunched over her laptop, complicating the lives of her imaginary friends and playing matchmaker. Melissa loves books with unpretentious characters and unforgettable romance, and she s ...more

News & Interviews