Start by marking “Both of Me” as Want to Read:
Both of Me

Both of Me

It was supposed to be just another flight, another escape into a foreign place where she could forget her past, forget her attachments. Until Clara found herself seated next to an alluring boy named Elias Phinn—a boy who seems to know secrets she has barely been able to admit to herself for years.

When her carry-on bag is accidentally switched with Elias’s identical pack, C
Published December 23rd 2014 by Blink

To ask other readers questions about Both of Me, please sign up.
Jonathan Friesen I know! Okay, Clara has finished school in London, and Elias has been held back many times. This makes both of them older, 18 and 19.
Good question.
Jon…more
Good question.
Jonathan (author)(less)
Kate I think it is probably fantasy fiction with a little dystopian stuff mixed in.

Start your review of Both of Me
Amela
Apr 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dislike
Bloke Word Count: 25
Number of Times I Bashed My Head Against Various Objects: no limit.

I WASTED ALL THAT TIME, ENERGY AND MY SANITY ON THIS BOOK FOR THAT ENDING?! REALLY?! This book sucked hardcore, and the ending even more so. I'm not one that NEEDS to have a happy ending or a typical happy ending, but this ending was AWFUL.

The writing for the entirety of the book was heinous. This author (American) wrote about a British girl named Clara, and in order to make her sound all "British", he used
Lorrie Lewis
Jun 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I bought this book when I was in high school. I finally decided to commit to it (approximately 5 years later). Let’s just say there’s a reason I couldn’t get through it in high school.

The main character, Clara, is from London. Jonathan Friesen has clearly never met anyone from the UK. While people from the UK do say things like “bloke” or “arse”- they do NOT talk how Clara talks in the book. NO ONE TALKS LIKE THAT!!! The writing just isn’t good.

50 pages in- I could not handle it anymore so I gav
Krystal
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2015
This was an okay book for me but wasn't really my cup of tea to be honest. I had some expectations going in but wasn't totally sure if I would like the book and after reading it found I didn't really like it very much at all.

I just felt throughout nearly the whole book that it was strange and I kept thinking oh gosh these characters are just a tad bit nuts in the head and it became quote annoying after awhile. I tried so hard to get past it and just think its part of the story and who these char
Sara Ella
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Writing…

Stellar. Seriously. My only other experience with a male author writing from a female point of view is John Green (hard to top, I know). And yet, Jonathan Freisen totally nails it. While reading Both of Me, I felt zero author interruption (aka, the author’s male voice slipping in here and there). I just felt like I was reading a really good story about a girl named Clara who doesn’t have it all together. A girl who’s trying to find her way in the world and maybe she just needs a litt
Gabs {My Full Bookshelf Reviews}
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Oh my god. I started this book, and immediately there was a feeling of dislike. I originally picked it up because of its portrayal of DID, but quickly realized that its portrayal of this disorder didn't handle it well at all. Really, Both of Me was a bit of a trainwreck.

Clara is a really self-centered heroine. The things she does and the way she acts made me dislike her almost immediately. There's little change in her throughou
Ari B
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ages 12+
OMG! This was great, it was eye catching at the first moment I saw it. And these feelings were not misplaced nor had this author let me down. I would say there were some gruesome parts to this story and some realism at the end, but I thought it was suiting. Some parts of this read were confusing, but if you ask me if it is worth reading, I will say "YEESSS! read this book immediately! And don't put it down until you finish!" Well written characters, great storyline and plot, enough mystery and i ...more
Erin H. (ITIO Book Reviews)
Dec 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Actual rating 1.5/5 stars

MORAL RATING:

PG: Some kissing, weird hints at more than kissing

THE GIST:

A huge thanks to Blink and Jonathan Friesen for a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

To be completely honest, I had no clue what was happening in this novel about 95% of the time. The writing was confusing and halting. The characters were flimsy and forgettable.

Jonathan Friesen seemed to have a unique, interesting idea with this novel about a boy with dissociative identi
Janie Johnson
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-challenge
I received this book through BookLook Bloggers in exchange for an honest review. I really did not know what to expect with this book, but the synopsis of the story pretty much sold me so I went ahead and requested it for review. I have to say that is was just ok for me.

Clara finds herself running away from her problems, heartaches and responsibilities. She finds herself on an airplane seated next to Elias Phinn and he somehow knows a few of her secrets. After they land Elias departs with her bag
Hayden
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, ya
Do you ever read a book and realize that, objectively, the book isn't bad, but it just isn't for you? That's how I feel about this book. My sister asked me what it was about, and I did my best to tell her.

"Well, that sounds interesting," she said.

Exactly. That's what I thought, too, which was why I decided to read it. However, it quickly became clear that this wasn't a book for me. I struggled to get through it and probably wouldn't have finished except for the fact that I had received it for re
Katie Grace
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary, 2-star
Ehhhh. I feel like it could've been a lot shorter. And I was confused for part of it. (I had the confusion probably with some of his other books.) But the ending was heartbreaking and terrible but... I liked it? It had a certain amount of tragicness and a light of hope and that's how I like my endings. But overall I wasn't too crazy about the book.
Kayla (The Thousand Lives)
Just no.

Full review to follow in March.
Ashley H.
Jan 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Annalie
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
When I was about halfway through this book, I didn't think I was going to like it by the end.

The main character in this book is from London, whereas Friesen is an American author. It's obvious that he's looked up British terminology/slang in order to make the book as accurate as possible, however reading this feels like reading a mockery of British language. It feels like Friesen took it one step too far.

I also felt uncomfortable with the plot and the morals which it presented.

The main character
Madeleine
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
**A big thanks to Zonderkidz-Books and NetGalley for providing me with a digital ARC copy of this novel.**

I went into this book fairly blind. I remember first hearing about it from Sasha (abookutopia) on YouTube and subsequently looked it up to find that it involved DID -- Dissociative Identity Disorder -- previously, and still more commonly, known as Multiple Personality Disorder. And that was it.

What I didn't anticipate was that I'd get a story that is equal parts engrossing and equal parts fr
Jacqueline Ballard
I don't give books five stars very often, but I just finished Both of Me yesterday, and I'm still in awe. If anything stuck out unequivocally to me, I would have to say that it is the authenticity of the characters. The raw emotions exhibited by both main characters, Elias and Clara/Clarita, were nothing short of moving. As a reader, when one of these two characters were happy or heartbroken, so was I. Have you ever fallen in love with part of someone? That's the lingering question that plagues ...more
Jeff Raymond
So this is the second book from this imprint that I've read recently, and, while this one was marginally better than Summer by Summer, the end result is still the same, with a dull narrative and not much in the way of engaging characters (while, at least this time, leaving the religious stuff mostly off to the side). The story is about a teenage boy who has disassociative identity disorder, which we learn about after his bag is inadvertently switched at an airport and a girl returns it. The stor ...more
Amanda
I picked up this book without having heard of it before. Reading the premise, I thought it sounded exactly like the type of book I would be interested in. So I went with my gut and bought it.

Just before I started reading it, I read the reviews here on it. In spite of the fact that so many of them were negative, I still had a really good feeling about it.

My gut was right and I finished it in three days.

Both of Me is fantastically well written, humorous, heartbreaking, breathtaking, and full of a
Lela
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
To be frank, I spent most of this book trying to get it over with.

I didn't enjoy it that much other than a few chapters.

The characters were everywhere and hard to follow.
Clara's mindset changed constantly.
Elias was much like a deer in the headlights.
The dad was mentioned constantly, but barely explained.
And, so on..

I read the entire book and I still can't grasp the meaning behind everything.

I could state multiple things why I didn't like this book. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it very muc
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)
Actual Rating 4.5 Stars

The full review will be up here as well as on ForTheLove of Fictional Worlds as soon as I come to terms with what this book has done to me!
Galaxy Adventurer
So...umm...not really sure what to rate this at the moment...that ending :(
Alexa
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Too unrealistic for me but maybe that's because it's more of a symbolic story. It doesn't really come together until the end but it was alright.
Amy
(Side note: I would like to say that I added the mental health category for this one since the main character does suffer from DID (dissociative identity disorder) but it is NOT in the same vein as other books such as Girl in Pieces , so please keep that in mind)

Well, I was not sure what to expect with this one, and at the end, I'm not sure what I got from it. With that being said, I did give it 4 stars, and I'll stand by them. Mainly because I was so intrigued while reading, and because I just
littlemjs4
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Both of Me , written by Jonathan Friesen, is a romance novel that describes the adventure of Clara, a young British girl running from her past, and Elias, a boy from Minnesota who is caught between reality and an imaginary world, Salem. Their growing relationship displays how the strangest of events can connect two completely different people.

Both of Me was written from the perspective of the main character, Clara. Jonathan Friesen uses her thoughts and struggles to create the intimate relati
Luce
Jun 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
Summary pulled me in but the plot did not do it justice. Clara was all over the place and Elias was too especially towards the end. The book does not present an accurate representation of DID. I did not see the ending coming and I do not mean it in a good way. I saw another review that Clara acts like a five year old, especially one scene in particular, and I agree with it completely.

10/10 Clara is horny.
Carlye Krul
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't completely know what to say about Both of Me. It was a good book, but I didn't like the ending. It sorta stopped at an odd spot and we were left hanging for the rest of our lives because it's a standalone book. But I would recommend to fans of contemporary books.
Kaysia (bookskay)
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
6.5/10 Lots of mixed feeling about this one. I went through stages of loving it and stage of being very confused. The ending was interesting but I’m not sure if i feel like it was a bit o a cop out? So conflicted :’)
Emily
Jul 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: teens
I wanted to like this so much more than I actually did. It was compelling, but unrealistic at times and I really did not like the main character.
Anna
2.5

the only thing that saved this book from 2 stars was the characters. the story was pretty good but the writing was not that great, not enough was explained and it was so fast paced. I felt like a lot of the characters were just talking heads and not fully developed characters, it got pretty tiring after a while. like I said, the only thing that saved the book were the characters and their chemistry. It was a good quick summer read but nothing i would read again and again.
Kay T
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I think it would be a good movie, but I didn’t feel the characterization was deep enough for me. It wasn’t bad, and I did like the ending.
Netanya
To Clara, Minneapolis is just another destination on the path she's been traveling for the past eight months- ever since her father got out of jail. Her trip is being funded by anonymous followers on her online blog who think they are donating to the needy. When Clara's bag gets switched with Elias Phinn's, she is quickly sucked into both if his worlds. Half the time, Elias is a sweet and genius boy, and the other half he lives in a fantasy world called Salem.

Well, first of all, I had no idea th
Greetings 1 13 Dec 12, 2014 08:41PM

• We Were Never Here
  • Firstborn
  • Daughters of Ruin
  • Storm Siren (Storm Siren, #1)
  • Siren's Song (Storm Siren, #3)
  • Siren's Fury (Storm Siren, #2)
  • Summer by Summer
  • Blue Ticket
  • Sweet
  • The Duel: The Parallel Lives of Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr
  • Skeleton Tree
  • Infinity (The Infinity Division, #1)
  • The Arm of the Starfish (O'Keefe Family, #1)
  • Remember to Forget
  • The Long Road Home
  • Kitty Hawk (I, Q, #3)
  • The Body Institute
  • Song of Myself
I had the perfect life.

I was the grade-school star and the teacher’s pet. The world revolved around me and I suspected it always would. If you ask most people about their life, they don’t begin with fifth grade. But that was a good year.

Illness changed that. I retreated into a shell and escaped into words. Writing a story sucked the pain out of me, at least for a while. That’s when I learned to “f

News & Interviews

“Wanting and wishing are very different” 9 likes
“How easy it was to slip through the cracks alongside him. To fall in the very same trap I had committed to free him from.” 4 likes