Start by marking “Double, Double” as Want to Read:
Double, Double

Double, Double (Star Trek: The Original Series #45)

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  442 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
On a routine exploratory mission, the starship U.S.S. Hood picks up a distress signal from a research expedition though lost long ago, the expedition of Dr. Roger Korby, one of the centuries' greatest scientific minds. Korby himself is dead, it seems, but his colleagues have made a most incredible discovery, a discovery they insist the Hood's captain see for himself. Reluc ...more
Published April 1st 1989 by Pocket Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Double, Double, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double, Double

Jerry
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Some good moments, but, overall, not very good.
Mary JL
May 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: die hard Trek fans only
This book was written years ago. It is a continuation of the events in the Star Trek episode "What Are Little Girls Made of?".

A couple of things put me off almost at once. First, Kirk posts an inaccurate log entry--deliberately for a very flimsy reason. That is very unlike Kirk. And at the ned, Star Fleet lets this pass--and that is very unlike any military bureaucracy.

Second, Kirk rescues a primitive tribesman named K'leb. Circumstances place him on the Enterprise for a couple of weeks. Conveni
Charles
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I thought it was pretty good. The characters were handled deftly. Seems like it could have been tightened a touch, and there are some inconsistencies in the premise, which is that an android survived after the end of the original series episode "What are Little Girls Made of?" The inconsistencies involve the fact that Kirk never reported any of this event to Starfleet, which given the power of the android making machine, seems highly unlikely. Once the story got going, though, it moved pretty we ...more
David King
Mar 25, 2016 rated it liked it
“Double, Double” was Michael Jan Friedman’s first ever Star Trek novel and acts as a sequel to the Original Series episode "What Are Little Girls Made Of?”. The story is based on the premise that Kirk has decides to gloss over the events which occurred on Exo III and doesn’t carry out a full investigation in order to protect Nurse Chapel. However, another android returns to the planet and when it finds its creator dead, it decides to continue his work. The android finds the template of Kirk stil ...more
Julieanne
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek-tos
A seriously fun novel. It was fun to revisit double Kirk mischief a third time (twice in the main series if you count the transporter malfunction episode). The story has just the right blend of typical TOS hokeyness and some compelling narrative and the dialogue is written in such a way I hear the characters and found the book engaging where admittedly some of the books can drone on in places.

If you're a TOS fan consider giving this a try if you stumble upon it in the bookstore, an antique shop
Bryan
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
It is what it is. Not deep or intricate. Like watching an episode on tv. Enjoyed it but nothing earthshattering.
Jeannette Dilouie
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was an interesting enough premise, based off of an actual episode. But there were too many perspectives involved and too many details that I just felt weren't fleshed out enough.
Mike Crate
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, star-trek
Double, Double was Michael Jan Friedman's first Star Trek novel and a sequel to the original series episode "What Are Little Girls Made Of?". I have to admit a fondness for novels that continue established stories and this one does cover all the bases for extending the story of the ancient machine and the goal of Dr Korby to replace well everyone with their android duplicates.
It seems that Captain Kirk in his desire to protect Chapel glossed over the events on Exo III and also failed to do a ful
David Belyeu
Apr 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
On the surface, this seems like a nice paranoid thriller that ties into one of the early episodes of the original Star Trek. But the entire premise rests on a ridiculous idea: that Captain Kirk left Exo III without telling anybody about the alien machinery that can create android copies of people, supposedly out of a desire to protect the reputation of the late Dr. Roger Korby and the feelings of Nurse Chapel.

To understand how stupid this is, imagine that a US Navy vessel stumbles upon an island
Tobias
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In dem Buch wird die versuchte Auslöschung der Humanoiden Lebensformen durch Androiden beschrieben. Auf dem Planeten EXO III hat ein Androide die Zerstörung der Höhle durch die Enterprise Crew überlebt. Mit Hilfe der Repliktionsmaschine von Dr. Korby erschafft der überlebende Androide eine Kopie von Capt. Kirk. Dieser will den Plan von Dr. Korby, Humanoide durch Androiden zu ersetzen um Leid und Tod abzuschaffen in die Tat umzusetzen. Der Plan zur Umsetzung ist gut durchdacht und wird auch sofor ...more
Bookworm Amir
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ayrdaomei
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I first picked this book up 15 years ago at least, in a second hand bookstore in Morocco. I read it then (I was a young Trek fan, and devoured the TOS, TNG, and DS9 books), and having enjoyed it, it has stayed in my personal collection all these years. I saw that Michael Jan Friedman was going to be at a local sci-fi convention in August, so I dug this out thinking I would have him sign it. I never got around to doing that, but carrying it around in my purse for a couple of days had me tempted t ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Michael Jan Friedman's first "Star Trek" novel is nothing if not ambitious...and it threatens to crumble under the weight of the half dozen plot threads & two dozen characters populating the book. However, it manages to hold up...and gains its fourth star from crafting an ingenious method for a follow-up tale to the TV episode "What Are Little Girls Made Of". That alone is an achievement many other "Star Trek" sequel novels fail to achieve, despite grandiose ambitions.
Stephen Fender
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a really good read, and a great sequal to the TOS episode "What are little girls made of". Most of the supporting characters are really well defined, but a few of them (in my opinion) were killed off without to much thought. While the ending was "ok", I could have seen this going another direction that would have been more along Trek lines. Still, it was very enjoyable, the Enterprise crew was well represented, and the Romulans we're a great tie-in for some quick action.
Kreg
Jan 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek-tos
A continuation of the TOS episode "What Are Little Girls Made Of", another android double of Kirk is created and takes command of the Enterprise after tricking the real Kirk.

Overall not a bad book. A few inconsistencies with canon, but well within reasonable bounds. Characterizations are quite well done.
Jason Potrzeba
Apr 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
A fun read. I think the reader has to allow for the most basic definition of an android for this part of the story to move along without any technical questions/issues to distract from the overall novel...
J.D.
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
A solid 4 stars TOS novel, plays up good as an addition to original episode, characters are believable action was good. I really, really hated how the android Kirk called Spock half breed stuff, ugh.
Kaylie
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Slow-paced and rather boring. Good characterization and felt like a real TOS plot. I didn't read it expecting it to be good, but even so, it was a bit of a disappointment.
Chris Hawks
Nov 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
One of my first and favorite Star Trek books when I was a kid.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Not bad. It continues the story from a TOS episode in a reasonably believable way, a la Wrath of Khan. One of the better installments in the numbered TOS Pocket Books series.
Douglas
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Anything Star Trek is good. 'Nough said.
Val
Jun 09, 2015 added it
Shelves: star-trek
DNF. This story is just too Kirk-centric, and of all the Star Trek characters, he has always been my least favorite.
Darrell
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
An exciting entry in the canon of Star Trek novels. This one follows the old series episode "What are Little Girls Made Of?" Intriguing.
Pat
  • Shell Game
  • Bloodthirst
  • Crossroad
  • Ice Trap
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • Memory Prime
  • The Starship Trap
  • Dreams of the Raven (Star Trek #34)
  • Crisis on Centaurus
  • Corona
Michael Jan Friedman is an author of more than seventy books of fiction and nonfiction, half of which are in the Star Trek universe. Eleven of his titles have appeared on the New York Times Best Seller list. Friedman has also written for network and cable television and radio, and scripted nearly 200 comic books, including his original DC superhero series, the Darkstars.
More about Michael Jan Friedman

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
  • After On: A Novel of Silicon Valley
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Clay's Ark (The Patternist Series)
  • The Iron Dragon's Daughter
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Broken Sword
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mind of My Mind (The Patternist Series)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater