Start by marking “The Princess Spy (Hagenheim, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Princess Spy (Hagenheim, #5)

The Princess Spy (Hagenheim #5)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  4,177 Ratings  ·  515 Reviews
A new suitor. A shocking discovery.

Margaretha has always been a romantic, and hopes her newest suitor, Lord Claybrook, is destined to be her one true love. But then an injured man is brought to the castle, claiming to be an English lord who was left for dead by Claybrook's men. She convinces herself "Lord Colin" is just an addled stranger, until Colin retrieves an heirloom
Published November 4th 2014 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about The Princess Spy, please sign up.
Abby Loubert The books do have an order that is recommended, but you can still definitely read this one first and wont be confused, I read them out of order as…moreThe books do have an order that is recommended, but you can still definitely read this one first and wont be confused, I read them out of order as well.(less)

Natalie
Mar 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Wow. This was....kind of a horrible book. To be fair, let me try to think of something I liked.
Hmmm.
1) Well, it's a retelling of "The Frog Prince" which I thought was interesting, especially since the retelling is accomplished without magic or there ACTUALLY being a frog.

That's about it. :P

What I didn't like:
1) The characters. They're always the same. Beautiful girl. Extremely handsome guy. They become physically attracted to each other and spend the rest of the novel trying not to be. Blahhh.
Kayla
*SIGHS* Why can't November come any faster???

Basically me now...

UPDATE

First of All... Thank you Melanie Dickerson for giving me a chance to read this book!!!

Okay.....wow I'm still processing I mean there's so much going on in this book.

I mean I'm don't know where to begin....who am I kidding? This book was AMAZING!!! I mean lots of actions!!! It reminded me of the Princess Bride! And I love the Princess Bride.

There's spying and intrigue

Swordfighting....

(I did try to find a better picture but t
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
WARNING! This whole review I'll be:

About this book:

“Margaretha has always been a romantic, and hopes her newest suitor, Lord Claybrook, is destined to be her one true love. But then an injured man is brought to Hagenheim Castle, claiming to be an English lord who was attacked by Claybrook and left for dead. And only Margaretha---one of the few who speaks his language---understands the wild story. Margaretha finds herself unable to pass Colin's message along to her father, the duke, and convinces
Jesseca Wheaton
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was at the library the other day and saw this book along with 2 others by Melenie Dickerson. I had no idea they were in a series, so I checked them out and started reading the one that looked the most interesting. Once I finished I looked up the author. . .and realized this is the 5th book in the series. :P Oh well, now I'm going back and reading the beginning ones. :)

I absolutely LOVED the book! I have never been a huge fan of fairy-tails, but I am loving all the retellings I've been finding
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Sweet fairy tale with adventure, romance, humor and wonderful christian values all tied up in a wonderful story. I look forward to my daughters reading this series when they are older.
Lakin
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Margaretha has always been a romantic, and hopes her newest suitor, Lord Claybrook, is destined to be her one true love. But then an injured man is brought to Hagenheim Castle, claiming to be an English lord who was attacked by Claybrook and left for dead. And only Margaretha---one of the few who speaks his language---understands the wild story. Margaretha finds herself unable to pass Colin's message along to her father, the duke, and convinces herself 'Lord Colin' is just an addled stranger. Th ...more
Katie Clark
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Margaretha's story is riveting! Melanie does a fantastic job of weaving romance throughout, and there wasn't anything NOT to love. I definitely recommend it to anyone who is a fan of fairytale retellings, action-packed adventures, and great romances.
Marklessgirl
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I was given an Advance Reading Copy of this book, but that didn't affect how much I loved it! This is about Margaretha (Duke Wilhelm's, the hero from The Healer's Aprentice, eldest daughter). Maragretha has a new suitor visiting, Lord Claybrook. At the same time, an injured foreigner arrives at the castle. Margaretha is one of the few people who speaks the foreigner's language. The stranger tells her that Lord Claybrook is evil. She has to decide whether to trust him, or not. The stranger implor ...more
Kristen Kooistra
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it
The Princess Spy's title is a bit deceiving. In truth, Margaretha only accomplishes one spy mission and it's rather dull in the fact she just hides up a tree for a bit and then passes the information along. Most of the book is not about her spying, though it is a bit of a running joke.

Things I liked about the book:

Margaretha is not your typical princess. She's curious, talkative to the point of being a chatterbox, and not afraid to help someone who seems crazy. Margaretha struggles throughout th
Raechel
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Just finished this for the 2nd time. :)

Review from the first read through (November 12 2014):
I haven’t read any of Miss Dickerson’s books previously, though I wanted to, and so when I saw this book available to be reviewed, I jumped at the possibility. It was very good, and I will most definitely continue to read books by this author.
“The Princess Spy” has a light, fairy-tale feel to it, without the magic, and most importantly, with faith as a big aspect, which I really liked. This is a book I w
Rissa
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Semi, sort of twist on Merlin and King Arthur times and I really enjoyed it. Anything having anything to do with that era and King Arthur themed characters gets me hooked right away.
J.C. Morrows
I LOVE having author friends!!!

Melanie has informed me that this is NOT the last book of the series! Anyone else doing the happy dance right now? WOW! WOW! WOW!

I know I’m excited!

OK…this review, the review on Amazon and the review on my blog have been edited to reflect that but there’s nothing I can do about ChristianBook.com so… *shrugs*

Melanie Dickerson is a genius!

I picked this book up earlier to pass the time while my kiddos were playing outside and I just couldn’t put it down.

I do believe I
Lauren Young
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I can't believe I forgot to review this book! Well, it was amazing :-) I love all of Melanie Dickerson's books and this was a great retelling of the Princess and the Frog. It took me quite some time to read it but i really enjoyed it and loved all of the twists!
Age Appropriate For: 13 and up for mild romance and mild violence
Best for Ages: 13 and up

I didn’t think that any of Dickerson’s book would ever come close to The Captive Maiden. After all, I love Cinderella, and her retelling of that story was just so wonderful. However, The Princess Spy has taken the spot of my #1 favorite fairy-tale book.

Margaretha was my favorite female character in all of Dickerson’s books, maybe even one of my top 10 of the year. She had so much spunk and fire, while still
Amber Stokes
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amber-s-kindle
I'm always thrilled at the release of a new Melanie Dickerson novel. Her romances are sweet and full of adventure, uniquely appealing with their blend of historical setting and fairy-tale elements. The Princess Spy is another lovely addition to Dickerson's series of retellings.

The subtle (and cleverly not-so-subtle) tie-ins with parts of The Frog Prince and related stories are quite fun. And Margaretha is a great heroine, with her big heart and bold attitude. When she sees the need for action, s
Amy
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Margaretha!!!!

~~~~~
You can let go of that breath you're holding, I liked it. I really and truly did. I really enjoy seeing how Melanie Dickerson's writing has improved over time. It caught me up right away and kept me hooked till the end. This book reminded me of my initial affection for The Healer's Apprentice without my subsequent hesitation.
There was a specific bad guy who was evil, no ambiguity! No long passages thanking God for someone else's physical attractiveness (some admiration does h
Laura A. Grace
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
What another delightful fairytale retelling by Melanie! I think this one is probably my favorite out of all the Hagenheim residents’ stories!

I really liked Margaretha and am glad her story was told because there is so much more to her then the sibling who can’t keep a secret. She’s brave, loyal, and just plain awesome in so many ways. I also liked Colin and thought he was a great hero (not to mention attractive).

“The Princess Spy” was fairly slow paced, but I wouldn’t say it was a bad thing. I
Sierra Faith
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales
Genre:Romance, Christian.

Favorite Quote:They didn't love me. They didn't like that I talk too much. They looked at me as if they didn't think I could have anything worth saying. Or as if I was a lack-wit. They were annoyed or preoccupied or didn't care. And I want to be loved. I want to love and be loved, and to be respected. I want someone to love me simply because I am a Duke's Daughter. I don't want a disinterested husband. I want someone who loves me passionately.

Age: 13+ for romance
Stars:
Haley S
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh boy oh boy. Where do I start?
Definitely one of my favorite books.
Margaretha seemed just like me. I talk a lot. Like her, sometes too much. I just loved her personality. Again, I thought it seems just like me.
I really liked the plot.
It wasn't my favorite retelling of the Frog Princess but it still is a favorite book of mine.
Angela
It was very similar to the rest of the books in the series. Lots of running away from danger, capture, escape, more capture, very back and forth. However the first half of the book was a fun adventure with spying and such. Well written fun story.
Renee
I'm rating the books by authors my students love. I keep these books in my classroom library & each year new young readers discover them. Melanie Dickerson is one of my students' favorite authors. I'm so glad she's prolific! (I teach literature in a small Christian high school.)
Deborah O'Carroll
In THE PRINCESS SPY, Melanie Dickerson delivers another wonderful book--beautiful inside and out! (That cover. Seriously. It's one of my favorites.) I was a little worried the story inside could not live up to the gorgeous cover, but it did. Oh, did it ever.

One of my favorite things had to be the fact that the hero is from England and speaks no German, but finds himself in Germany where nobody speaks English--except the heroine, who only speaks a little. Everything resulting from that basic prem
❄Elsa Frost❄
I knew I could finish this on time!

I only have a few comments to make about certain quotes though.

WARNING: Spoiler alert ahead!

(view spoiler)
Bookworm007
Apr 15, 2014 marked it as aint-anywhere-or-out
Which fairytale is this book a retelling of?
Giselle Bradley
Dec 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
I am so disgusted by this book! The characters feel like they were just copied and pasted from the previous books. The main female is not a strong character and the other females around her were the same way. At a point in the book something bad is about to happen and instead of going to her mother who is the freaking queen she goes to this guy she only met 3 days before because "she didn't want to terrify her mother". Yes, that's an actual quote. SHE'S THE QUEEN I THINK SHE CAN HANDLE IT!!! The ...more
Rachel Marie
This review first appears on

Guys, I FLEW through this one. The day I got it, I sat down and read it straight through. I can't even remember the last time I did that. I mean, I loooove my fairytale retellings. I actually couldn't tell what this one was from the description, but it hit me while reading. Yes, ladies and possible gents, this is a retelling of...The Frog Prince.

Margaretha is the daughter of a duke, and lives a pretty naive and sheltered life. She is a romantic at heart, having reject
Kate (The Shelf Life)
I'm always excited when Melanie Dickerson has a new book out. She has a fantastic ability to take such well known fairy-tales and change them into something new and unique, but still hold on to the foundation of the story.

The Princess Spy followed the same pattern and it brought a new twist to the Frog Prince. Plus, we finally got to know Margaretha better in this story. We were briefly introduced to her in the previous story in this series, but this book allowed her to shine. She is a girl who
Alyssa
REVIEW: The Princess Spy by Melanie Dickerson

{About the Book}

Melanie
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Princess Spy was another great story by Melanie Dickerson! I really enjoyed the characters and fairy tale aspect. I also liked the danger of trying to stop Claybrook from his evil plans -- definitely added some suspenseful moments.

I will say that the story seemed a little predictable (almost like I had read it before, even though I hadn't), but that didn't hinder my enjoyment at all, really, and I found it a fun read that I was in the mood to read.

All in all, The Princess Spy is a great read
Melanie Kilsby
A cute and adorably funny read!

This is a retelling of the Princess and the Frog. Such a terrific tale for Margaretha, the eldest daughter of Wilhem and Rose. I'm always fascinated by how Melanie Dickerson will pull off the elements of each story she re-tell's and yet, she brings great characters that are new and exciting.

This one was so adorable because of the characters. Margaretha is chatty and yet, tries to be a spy-knowing full well she probably will get her and Colin killed. And Colin appe
  • Chivalrous (Valiant Hearts, #2)
  • A Duke's Promise (Forgotten Castles #3)
  • A Daring Sacrifice (An Uncertain Choice, #2)
  • In Good Company (A Class of Their Own, #2)
  • Anchor in the Storm (Waves of Freedom, #2)
  • With Every Breath
  • The Seahorse Legacy (Eyes of E'veria #3)
  • Surprised by Love (The Heart of San Francisco, #3)
  • Return to Neverland (Faerie Tale Collection #13)
  • Where Treetops Glisten: Three Stories of Heartwarming Courage and Christmas Romance During World War II
  • Bourne & Tributary (River of Time, #3.1 & #3.2)
  • Full Steam Ahead (Full Steam Ahead, #1)
  • A Bride in Store (Unexpected Brides, #2)
  • Oath of the Brotherhood (Song of Seare, #1)
  • Lady Helen Finds Her Song
  • Playing by Heart
  • Merlin's Nightmare (The Merlin Spiral #3)
Melanie Dickerson is a New York Times bestselling author, a two-time Christy Award finalist, two-time Maggie Award winner, Carol Award winner, two-time winner of the Christian Retailing's Best award, and her book, The Healer's Apprentice, won the National Readers Choice Award for Best First Book. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and Romance Writers of America (RWA). Mel ...more
More about Melanie Dickerson

Hagenheim (8 books)
  • The Healer's Apprentice (Hagenheim, #1)
  • The Merchant's Daughter (Hagenheim, #2)
  • The Fairest Beauty (Hagenheim, #3)
  • The Captive Maiden (Hagenheim, #4)
  • The Golden Braid (Hagenheim, #6)
  • The Silent Songbird (Hagenheim, #7)
  • The Orphan's Wish (Hagenheim, #8)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Don't Say A Word
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
“O Father God, I know nothing is impossible for You. I am not putting my faith in anything but You — not the money in my purse, nor my status as the daughter of a duke, not in Colin’s ability to protect me, nor even in myself. My faith is in You. You are mighty to save, and I will not waver in my faith. I know You care for me, and nothing is too hard for You.” 13 likes
“She never imagined she would get her first true kiss in the secret tunnel, surrounded by strange men. At least it was memorable.” 11 likes